Gwilt

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

thirty-seven!?
Club Player

Gwilt

I'm saying it at half time (so touch wood i dont jinx him!) But ive been really impressed with his work off half back tonight, as he also did last week! Could be a good replacement for the spot being saved for Peake!

Anyone else feeling the same??

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

I like him out there, very composed....

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:I like him out there, very composed....
Yep a star.

Hurricane
Saintsational Legend

Showing some run and confidence, looks really cool and composed with the ball. Very impressed so far

BANG BANG

Mitsuharu Misawa 1962 - 2009.

I am vengeance....I am the night...I....AM.....BATMAN

I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass and im all out of bubblegum
meher baba
Saintsational Legend

It's been good to see him more involved than he gets at HF. However, the accuracy of his kicking has been a bit down on his usual standard.

Certainly going better than Peake. But I reckon Raph still has the spot under control at this stage.

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."
- Jonathan Swift
saintDal
Club Player

Great mark just now over Goodes.

markinUSA
SS Life Member

Good game tonight so far. Good to see! Go Jimmy!

"Don't give up, never give up" - Robert Harvey.
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
Yep a star.
Bit early to call that yet, just a praccy match...

|Andy|
Club Player

SainterK wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
Yep a star.
Bit early to call that yet, just a praccy match...
\
im pretty sure plugger was being sarcastic... but yeh, i like the role gwilt is playing today better than when he was hf.

bigred
Saintsational Legend

Praccy match or not, Sam Gilbert is a freakin star.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Gwilt was good tonight.

If he can get in the game to a consistent level hes an AFL player...if he cant hes in trouble.

2 things I do like bout him:

1. Hes a great size and moves very well through traffic.

2. Hes a raking,penetrating kick - his kics really move through the air..and can make defences just scramble a little more...

I thought he wasnt bad last week so hopefully his confidence continues on the up.

“Yeah….nah””
HarveysDeciple

plugger66 wrote:
Yep a star.
What's with the sarcasm?

Was there something wrong with his post?

He didn't go overboard, he said he looks composed and is playing well.....something wrong with that?

Saintersss
Club Player

Could pressure R. Clarke's spot if he continues his form from tonight.

If you think about it he could become a good player off the half back seeing as his defiences up forward (not getting enough of it, not impacting the scoreboard) aren't really going to affect him in defence. Otherwise he is a good kick, can carry it and is fairly good in the air so lets hope he can continue it.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

HarveysDeciple wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
Yep a star.
What's with the sarcasm?

Was there something wrong with his post?

He didn't go overboard, he said he looks composed and is playing well.....something wrong with that?
It's always about the sarcasm, and that's 'she' by the way :wink:

stinger
Saintsational Legend

Saintersss wrote:Could pressure R. Clarke's spot if he continues his form from tonight.

If you think about it he could become a good player off the half back seeing as his defiences up forward (not getting enough of it, not impacting the scoreboard) aren't really going to affect him in defence. Otherwise he is a good kick, can carry it and is fairly good in the air so lets hope he can continue it.

beat goodes tonight imho.....

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote: I thought he wasnt bad last week so hopefully his confidence continues on the up.
:shock: :shock: :shock:

I don't mean this sarcastically but did he play last week???

Don't remember seeing him at all

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

skeptic wrote:
Teflon wrote: I thought he wasnt bad last week so hopefully his confidence continues on the up.

Thats ok.......I know your not Plugger 66 so no need to apologise.

Let me explain my Gwilt view of last week.

Did he tear up the game? No.

But in a few contests where he got some space through good movement and kicked the ball he was IMHO really able to hurry the opposition up......his kicking covers good distance at speed....not a lot of players do that (Rich for Brisbane does it and Goddard at times too).

Perhaps I should have qualified my comments with "I thought there were good signs from him last week".

Ive been a long standing Gwilt critic in the past BTW....so I'll be ecstatic to eat my past words on himIF he is able to step up his consistency this year.

“Yeah….nah””
stinger
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote:
skeptic wrote:

Thats ok.......I know your not Plugger 66 so no need to apologise.

Let me explain my Gwilt view of last week.

Did he tear up the game? No.

But in a few contests where he got some space through good movement and kicked the ball he was IMHO really able to hurry the opposition up......his kicking covers good distance at speed....not a lot of players do that (Rich for Brisbane does it and Goddard at times too).

Perhaps I should have qualified my comments with "I thought there were good signs from him last week".

i agree with you......and he was even better tonight.....couldn't understand those stating he should be dropped for this week

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

After watching the replay last week, it was a servicable game and certainly not his worst. Would love to see his confidence grow, he did well on Goodes tonight I agree.

Milan Faletic
Saintsational Legend

Gwilt was great and Peake looks the goods. Farren Ray needs to perform mainly because the second year is always the test.

Saintersss
Club Player

Milan Faletic wrote:Gwilt was great and Peake looks the goods. Farren Ray needs to perform mainly because the second year is always the test.
While Gwilts been good, I hardly say Peake looks the goods. He's trying hard, but he isn't doing much, and is very rarely showing his pace. Ray already has his spot in the 22 and a few bad games in the pre-season isn't going to change that and he is especially not going to be replaced by Peake.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Saintersss wrote:
Milan Faletic wrote:Gwilt was great and Peake looks the goods. Farren Ray needs to perform mainly because the second year is always the test.
While Gwilts been good, I hardly say Peake looks the goods. He's trying hard, but he isn't doing much, and is very rarely showing his pace. Ray already has his spot in the 22 and a few bad games in the pre-season isn't going to change that and he is especially not going to be replaced by Peake.
Peak will have to do much more to break into that side.....and yep...the "speed" I aint seeing......

Shame really......its that 1 small criticism of this side....VERY 1 paced.........even Geelong have that small fwd (played on Raph last year GF....cant remember his name..) who adds some dash....

Damn you A Lovett.

“Yeah….nah””
joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote:
Saintersss wrote:
Peak will have to do much more to break into that side.....and yep...the "speed" I aint seeing......

Shame really......its that 1 small criticism of this side....VERY 1 paced.........even Geelong have that small fwd (played on Raph last year GF....cant remember his name..) who adds some dash....

Damn you A Lovett.
Wasn't at the game but on the replay (always a very different view) I though Jimmy Gwilt looked pretty good and did his job very well. has a penetrating kick and can use his strength in one on one contests.

Jimmys biggest weakness has always been positioning and reading the game. Sometimes looks lost. From a TV perspective and what others have posted here, it seems he was reading the play and making space last night. Good signs.

Peake did look quick last night, there were a couple of times he swooped and looked quicker than Jetta. He seems to be an "outside"player who needs a bit of space to utilise his speed. last night seemed to be in the thick of things, so his speed couldn't be used as much and his disposal wasn't great.

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

joffaboy wrote:
Teflon wrote:
Saintersss wrote:

Damn you A Lovett.
Wasn't at the game but on the replay (always a very different view) I though Jimmy Gwilt looked pretty good and did his job very well. has a penetrating kick and can use his strength in one on one contests.

Jimmys biggest weakness has always been positioning and reading the game. Sometimes looks lost. From a TV perspective and what others have posted here, it seems he was reading the play and making space last night. Good signs.

Peake did look quick last night, there were a couple of times he swooped and looked quicker than Jetta. He seems to be an "outside"player who needs a bit of space to utilise his speed. last night seemed to be in the thick of things, so his speed couldn't be used as much and his disposal wasn't great.
Gwilt is in his 7th year and not many players all of a sudden improve that late into their career. He will continue to play ok games and the disappointing games. That is why he isnt a regular. Hope I am wrong but just cant think of guys improving that late into their careers. Also it is only a practice match and some form can go up and down in these games especially fringe types.

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
joffaboy wrote:
Teflon wrote:
Saintersss wrote:

Damn you A Lovett.

Gwilt is in his 7th year and not many players all of a sudden improve that late into their career. He will continue to play ok games and the disappointing games. That is why he isnt a regular. Hope I am wrong but just cant think of guys improving that late into their careers. Also it is only a practice match and some form can go up and down in these games especially fringe types.
yes possibly.

However I heard Grant Thomas last year saying he was worth hanging onto for a couple of reasons

1) he was big and pretty quick and had penetration in his kicking
2) because he hadn't come through the TAC system, he would take longer to mature and was worth persisting with.

Gwilt is 24 or 25, a couple of players who have improved at that age for the Saints was Andrew Thompson and Clinton Jones, so it isn't impossible.

Gwilts first season was 2005 so he is in his 6th season, but that is pedantic and I think you point is a valid one.

Lets hope he does continue to improve.

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)