positives from tonights game

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

stinger
Saintsational Legend

positives from tonights game

...we won again......no bush next week...

..we beat the swans...

no serious injuries....

lenny and dal wil be better for the hit out...

those posting milne's demise this year are dead wrong....

stanley looks the goods....

gwilt has improved over summer as has schneider's tank....

armitage will be a more than adequate replacement for bally....

gilbert is now a superstar.....

.....feel free to add you comments.....

Last edited by stinger on Sun 28 Feb 2010 2:52pm, edited 1 time in total.

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
markinUSA
SS Life Member

We used to love to win in the 70s and 80s... we would celebrate with the best parties, discos... we didn't win that often, but when we did, we loved it.

Now, we have this professional side that hates to lose... we don't do it that often, and even if we win by a narrow margin, we just get the job done. A different culture than it once was.

I just really admire the boys, and the way they win in extraordinary circumstances.

"Don't give up, never give up" - Robert Harvey.
Beej
Saintsational Legend

Posives.

wasaintsfan
Club Player

positives:
defo our tackling had 72 tackles... well up from last week which was 38
the faster speed we brought it into our forward line...
we are getting over line in super tight contests

negatives
until the end of the match when it was there to be won our defence looked underdone.
looked very flimsy with the ball at times i think an under 12s tea, couldve exploited us
our forward line wasnt functioning as well as it should have so the fast ball in went out just as fast at times

all in all theres not to much to take from the game as it is only a nab cub match

looking forward to the 2010 season where we can see "Saints footy"

GO SAINTERS

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Agree on Gilbert, thought he lifted in intensity when it was need....great leadership and relative considering his recent promotion.

Jones is simply amazing, I am in awe of his focus..he is almost manic out there, I never see footage of him idle.

Armitage realised it would be folly not to shake Kirks hand :)

meher baba
Saintsational Legend

I like being positive too, Stinger, but I can't see how you gave elephant stamps to Armo or Schneider.

Schneids did some good things but for most of the game was either MIA or on the bench (the latter, I think). Armo was bottled up by Kirk and others.

I thought the Swans easily won the midfield battle other than when Lenny was on the field. We were good in all other departments (sure, we made some mistakes down back but we were put under a lot of pressure by our midfield weakness, so I thought our backline stood up pretty well).

Our forward line pressure was excellent and ended up winning us the game.

After two games I'm a little worried about how light on we are in the midfield battles without Ball. I hope Steven comes up, because he looks the most likely to me (Armo always looks better playing further forward).

Didn't see McQualter used much in the tight stuff last night, which was disappointing.

But, the midfield aside, I thought we looked really potent last night and I'm optimistic.

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."
- Jonathan Swift
Quixote
SS Life Member

How did Al Smith go?

Fortius Quo Fidelius Yo
perfectionist
Saintsational Legend

Quixote wrote:How did Al Smith go?
No good, his man was one of the Swans best (Malceski). But remember, it was his second game. Will need at least another year to get bigger and stronger.

LennyBoy
Club Player

Milne was back to his very best which was great to see. Reading the ball magically and working really hard when the ball was on the rebound. Keep up the good work Milney!

Poochy 1 2 3 4 and 5 should be reinstated!
matrix
Saintsational Legend

mini is a tackle machine

QuestionOfAccuracy
Club Player

Positives...

- we did not play great but still found a way to win.
- The youngsters and fringe players get another chance to showcase themselves on nationally televised game next, with a chance to go through to the grand final.
- Goddard. He is looking really sharp so far in these first two games.
- Stanley. He's an excitement machine and such an exciting prospect. was a pity he did not get more game time.

oh when
Club Player

The hardest team we play

I reckon we find them the hardest team to play - they play a style that we find hard to break -
our last three games against them have been a struggle which we have won through just persisting with our forward pressure
and our defenders knowing how to control the game when its close.

stinger
Saintsational Legend

Beej wrote:Posives.

:oops: :oops: :oops: ....it was late...for me... :wink: :lol:

stinger
Saintsational Legend

meher baba wrote:I like being positive too, Stinger, but I can't see how you gave elephant stamps to Armo or Schneider.

Schneids did some good things but for most of the game was either MIA or on the bench (the latter, I think). Armo was bottled up by Kirk and others.

11 possessions at 88% efficiiency....7 tackes and 5 clearances in a little over half the game was more than okay for schneider ...imho..... :wink: :wink: :lol: :lol:

meher baba
Saintsational Legend

stinger wrote:
meher baba wrote:I like being positive too, Stinger, but I can't see how you gave elephant stamps to Armo or Schneider.

11 possessions at 88% efficiiency....7 tackes and 5 clearances in a little over half the game was more than okay for schneider ...imho..... :wink: :wink: :lol: :lol:
Yes, but he only played half a shortened NAB cup game. The whole issue with Schneider (both at the Swans and with us) is his ability to run out a game playing in any role other than that of loose small forward. Last night told us nothing more about that.

The guy's got all the skills you could ever want to see. But the motor's a bit dodgy.

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."
- Jonathan Swift
stinger
Saintsational Legend

meher baba wrote:
stinger wrote:

Yes, but he only played half a shortened NAB cup game. The whole issue with Schneider (both at the Swans and with us) is his ability to run out a game playing in any role other than that of loose small forward. Last night told us nothing more about that.

The guy's got all the skills you could ever want to see. But the motor's a bit dodgy.

i believe he has slimmed down...lost the puppy fat...or podgy look he had last year......can now play in the middle....has improved hia aerobic fitness...ammo has bulked up...is no longer a boy and will take the next stop...had a poor game...by his new standards last night...but was playing on kirk...everyone has a poor game on him...still he kicked the last score to win the match for us...as schneider did last week......from a kick from ammo i might add....no...they are definitely two postives for us.....

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

meher baba wrote:
stinger wrote:

There didn't seem to be anything 'dodgy' with Schneider's motor last week against the Filth.
His limited gametime last night most probably had more to do with coaching moves than his fitness.

saint66au
Saintsational Legend

My positives:

Milne. Worked really really hard last night. Was everywhere early, his disposal pinpoint to ROo and Kosi..and his efforts in the last qtr pretty much got us over the line

BJ. God I wish we had 6 of this bloke. Our most relaible kick-out but the bloke you want hitting Roo and Kosi lace out from 60m away. Very composed, very very good.

Gwilt. Played the "Raph role" well. Great comeback after what I thought was a pretty ordinary game last week. Looked poised and he has a thumping left foot

Armo being tagged by Kirk was a win for us I thought. WHile Kirk did win the battle, many better players than Armo have been beaten by Kirk over the years and it was a terrific lesson for him. Probably the first time he's been tagged, let alone by one of the very best in the business.

THE BUBBLE HAS BURST

2011 player sponsor
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Milne has been a more complete layer in two games running..

Gwilt showed something down back...enough to give another make a break chance to become a regular..

Stanley continues to show glimpses that he could be something special..

Lenny ran some cobwebs out

Big Ben looks better than last year..

Schneides looks fitter (by the way is this the fittest he has been pre-season with us???)

Roo is the fittest he has been for many a year

Smith has shown enough to suggest that the kid could become a player..

And the Jones boy just keeps destroying opponents....

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

saint66au wrote:My positives:

Milne. Worked really really hard last night. Was everywhere early, his disposal pinpoint to ROo and Kosi..and his efforts in the last qtr pretty much got us over the line

BJ. God I wish we had 6 of this bloke. Our most relaible kick-out but the bloke you want hitting Roo and Kosi lace out from 60m away. Very composed, very very good.

Gwilt. Played the "Raph role" well. Great comeback after what I thought was a pretty ordinary game last week. Looked poised and he has a thumping left foot

Armo being tagged by Kirk was a win for us I thought. WHile Kirk did win the battle, many better players than Armo have been beaten by Kirk over the years and it was a terrific lesson for him. Probably the first time he's been tagged, let alone by one of the very best in the business.
Agree, I don't have a problem at all with Armo's game last night in the overall context of how his career is progressing. Still managed to do some nice things.

SaintWodonga
Club Player

All of the above + Gram going forward kicking a few...

Tony Lockett kicks 10 goals

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4v4ZQJHjlvM
borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

Positives for me....
Jimmy Gwilt. Showed class as a defender. Showed he has a place in the team but not as a forward.
Big Ben, continues to impress, but does his best work around the ground, not in the ruck.
No.1 positive.. Rhys Stanley. After his effort in the last quarter, makes the selectors look like idiots starting Dempster on the forward line and not Stanley.
Peak. Got better as the game went on.

groupie1
Club Player

I agree that Peake got better but, Christ, couldn't have gotten any worse. That bloke is playing almost a different sport... if not a different league. in the two NAB cup games he has not really impressed at all.

Negatives:
Dawson: has the hustle and bustle but lacking in poise and defensive skill/read. Needs much improvement.
Blake: I predict he won't be in the ones by end of the year. Replaced by Gwilt, possibly. Poor man-on-man work, poor decision making... looking to be fading right now, I think. He got as much out of his talent as he could.

Positives: Have to Smith and Rys are genuine positives. Both done nice things. Armitage looks fitter. Baker & Hayes showed how you can keep plugging away into the 30s.

Gordon Fode couldda been Plugga
matrix
Saintsational Legend

i noticed peake weave out and accelerate thru some traffic last night
if i see more of that ill be happy
other than that he still isnt in my 22...yet

gwilty...go jimbob!!
played very well on goodes i thought
bj...few kicks to 2 on 1's but another great game
milne...bout time
rhs...im a bit Big Kev but lid is on still

just beat freo...please