2010 season - the big picture

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

2010 season - the big picture

So if one of the Saints or the Bulldogs win a flag this year. Does that mean the other one becomes the outright uncontested undisputed most unsuccessful - dare i say WORST club - in afl/vfl history? Left stranded and alone at the foot of the table on one solitary flag?

i dont want to be negative. but its something to ponder. i guess someone will argue freo are the the bottom on 0...
Last edited by Con Gorozidis on Mon 22 Mar 2010 1:24am, edited 1 time in total.

supercoach
Club Player

I am yet to be convinced that the dogs that are a serious threat the flag thus yr- after all, it was the nab cup- the game was summed up when the tv went to Ross - calm as could be and sayid to the coach next to him "how bout we leave him there and see how's he goes"- compared to the dogs coach who was screaming into the phone when a player kicked it to a saints player- they were playing against a team that cared as much about the nab cup as a kick to kick in the background

all in all, don't get excited/worried bout the dogs til the prove themselves in the real stuff

g=l

Gilbert=legend
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

supercoach wrote:I am yet to be convinced that the dogs that are a serious threat the flag thus yr- after all, it was the nab cup- the game was summed up when the tv went to Ross - calm as could be and sayid to the coach next to him "how bout we leave him there and see how's he goes"- compared to the dogs coach who was screaming into the phone when a player kicked it to a saints player- they were playing against a team that cared as much about the nab cup as a kick to kick in the background

all in all, don't get excited/worried bout the dogs til the prove themselves in the real stuff

g=l
forget the nab cup. i rate the dogs based on their 2009. They were good. Not far off. Nearly did us in in the pre-lim. They dominate on inside 50 stats and their midfield is superb. If u dont rate them u are crazy. They are a serious threat. No question.

thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

I reckon Freo get the title of worst ever AFL club...no dispute!!! :lol:

St Kilda forever 🔴⚪️⚫️ ( God help me)
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:i rate the dogs based on their 2009. They were good. Not far off. Nearly did us in in the pre-lim. They dominate on inside 50 stats and their midfield is superb. If u dont rate them u are crazy. They are a serious threat. No question.
agree. hopefully hall will blow a gasket at some stage and leave them with no dominant key forward. the only reason we beat them in the prelim is that we had a key forward who stood up and they didn't.

3rd generation saint
Saintsational Legend

Let's also not forget that they are going to rely on 3 very much over 30 year olds to get them over the line.
Johnson, Akermanis and Hall.
Johnson missed the NAB comp because of what would be a minor injury for a younger player.
Let's see how they are travelling mid year.

Except for the sanity nothing much has been lost.
SydneySainter
SS Hall of Fame

3rd generation saint wrote:Let's also not forget that they are going to rely on 3 very much over 30 year olds to get them over the line.
Johnson, Akermanis and Hall.
Johnson missed the NAB comp because of what would be a minor injury for a younger player.
Let's see how they are travelling mid year.
What about our 30 year olds?

Hayes, Gardy and Milne. Bakes is there abouts aswell. Hayes and Gardy have already had a limited pre-season.

Enough of the nice men in suits. Bring in some admin who demand success!
StSteven
Club Player

Hird's observations and comments in today's Hun are a worry.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

People dont talk about previous history to much. Are the Tigers the 7th best side in the history of the AFL. It is all about today especially with younger people. if we dont win but make the GF people will rate us highly again this year. If they talk about flags of course we are the worst especially if the dogs win.

InkerSaint
SS Hall of Fame

StSteven wrote:Hird's observations and comments in today's Hun are a worry.
Meh. This year, Armitage > Ball.

"... You want to pose a threat to the opposition in as many ways as you can, both defensively and offensively. We've got a responsibility to explore all those possibilities - and we will."
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

InkerSaint wrote:
Meh. This year, Armitage > Ball.
It was an interesting opinion piece by Hird, strange he hadn't researched St Kilda's list for a possible replacement for Ball to potentially stand up.

Animal Enclosure
SS Hall of Fame

Con Gorozidis wrote:
supercoach wrote:I am yet to be convinced that the dogs that are a serious threat the flag thus yr- after all, it was the nab cup- the game was summed up when the tv went to Ross - calm as could be and sayid to the coach next to him "how bout we leave him there and see how's he goes"- compared to the dogs coach who was screaming into the phone when a player kicked it to a saints player- they were playing against a team that cared as much about the nab cup as a kick to kick in the background

g=l
forget the nab cup. i rate the dogs based on their 2009. They were good. Not far off. Nearly did us in in the pre-lim. They dominate on inside 50 stats and their midfield is superb. If u dont rate them u are crazy. They are a serious threat. No question.
I think a lot of people get carried away with that prelim performance. Yes they were very good that night, but we played no where near our best footy that night. They should have beaten us but didn't.

We pantsed them twice during the year & despite the recruitment of the thug, I don't see any reason why we won't do that again.

I hope people prepare themselves for a slower start to the year & a loss here and there. The main goal is top 4 & then the real stuff starts.

As we found out last year, it is a really long season & great form anytime other than September counts for little.

Middo
Club Player

Hmm did Hird recommend Lovett to St.Kilda ??? If he did well would not make to much of his opinion as we know what they say about opinion's. David Armitage will step up !!!!

Jack Newnes happy to be a Saint !!!! PS and to hit a target !!!
saintlee
Club Player

Re: 2010 season - the big picture

Con Gorozidis wrote:So if one of the Saints or the Bulldogs win a flag this year. Does that mean the other one becomes the outright uncontested undisputed most unsuccessful - dare i say WORST club - in afl/vfl history? Left stranded and alone at the foot of the table on one solitary flag?

i dont want to be negative. but its something to ponder. i guess someone will argue freo are the the bottom on 0...
Port only have 1 flag, Freo have 0, Gold Coast and West Sydney coming in, will obviously have 0 each for a while....

But given all those teams are basically new-comers to the AFL, I think its pretty clear that the Doggies and Saints are teh worst clubs in terms of ultimate success.

Hard to split Doggies and Saints, we have made more GFs than that have, but we have a shite load more spoons too.....

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

I think 26 wooden spoons pretty much gives us that title....not sure Freo have won a spoon yet???

it took us 69 years to win a flag.....and its been another 44

st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:I think 26 wooden spoons pretty much gives us that title....not sure Freo have won a spoon yet???

it took us 69 years to win a flag.....and its been another 44
yeah they got the spoon and the no.1 draft pick in the "super draft" only to trade it for Croad :lol:

the thing people forget when they talk about our years of failing is in that era of footy the playing feild was not even ... the rich clubs belted the poor clubs Grandfinals were almost alwayss played out by the cashed up clubs while little clubs like the saints and the dogs were mearly also rans ...

the way i see it since the AFL started (1990) and the evening up of the comp it look like this

Adl - 2 flags
Bris (inc bears & fitzroy Lions) - 5 spoons 3 flags
Carlton - 1 flag 3 spoons
Collingwood - 1 flag 1 spoon
Ess - 2 flags
Freo - 1 spoon
Geelong - 2 flags
Hawthorn - 2 flags
North - 2 flags
Melb - 3 spoon
Port - 1 flag
Richmond - 2 spoons
Saints - 1 spoon
Sydney - 1 flag 3 spoons
West coast - 3 flags
Bulldogs - 1 spoon

"The team that wins in the most positions and makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins the game." -- Allan Jeans

http://westernsaints.wordpress.com/
saintlee
Club Player

st_Trav_ofWA wrote: the way i see it since the AFL started (1990) and the evening up of the comp it look like this

Adl - 2 flags
Bris (inc bears & fitzroy Lions) - 5 spoons 3 flags
Carlton - 1 flag 3 spoons
Collingwood - 1 flag 1 spoon
Ess - 2 flags
Freo - 1 spoon
Geelong - 2 flags
Hawthorn - 2 flags
North - 2 flags
Melb - 3 spoon
Port - 1 flag
Richmond - 2 spoons
Saints - 1 spoon
Sydney - 1 flag 3 spoons
West coast - 3 flags
Bulldogs - 1 spoon
I like the look of this table much better....goes to show that St Kilda have been far more competitive in the modern age....all we need now is a flag or two and our AFL era stats would look quite impressive

St. Luke
Saintsational Legend

The Dogs are the real deal this season! They were a full forward short of knocking us out of the Prelim final last year! Hall not only soaks up players, but helps free up the Bulldogs midfield who we already know are capable of launching a barrage of goals on the run.

Halls age will not prove a problem. There hasn't been too many times in his playing career he's limped off or had soft tissue injuries. He's a hard-nut through and through! His temper is the only thing the Dogs will need to keep under control!

We just need to be better, and more efficient this season. That's a big call considering the stellar season we had in 09!

When they created LENNY HAYES (in the shadow of Harvs) they forgot to break the mold (again)- hence the Supremely Incredible Jack Steven!!
fingers
Saintsational Legend

Mark this day as I put it down in type. The Dogs will crumble.

vacuous space
SS Life Member

Re: 2010 season - the big picture

saintlee wrote:Port only have 1 flag, Freo have 0, Gold Coast and West Sydney coming in, will obviously have 0 each for a while....
AD is looking at starting the new clubs with three flags each as part of their sweet deal. He'll start by stripping flags off clubs who won by narrow margins...

History is for Carlton fans. We're all about the now. Richmond is all about the year 2477.

Yeah nah pleasing positive
st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

St. Luke wrote:The Dogs are the real deal this season! They were a full forward short of knocking us out of the Prelim final last year! Hall not only soaks up players, but helps free up the Bulldogs midfield who we already know are capable of launching a barrage of goals on the run.

Halls age will not prove a problem. There hasn't been too many times in his playing career he's limped off or had soft tissue injuries. He's a hard-nut through and through! His temper is the only thing the Dogs will need to keep under control!

We just need to be better, and more efficient this season. That's a big call considering the stellar season we had in 09!
the dogs have always been the real deal ... Hall is not the missing peice .. hes a good pick up for them but if they do win the flag it will not be because of him...

people get too caught up in so called known facts ... the dogs were one big forward short of a flag is a popular belief but the actual fact is the dogs were good enough last year but on the day met a saints side that were able to do it better .....

just like geelong were able to do it better then the saints the week after .. no one person holds the missing peice to a flag it comes down to a team effort and if the dog are relying on BBB Hall to drag them through i think they will be found lagging in the end ...
thats why i love it when the media pump up BBB Halls tyres as it puts that bit belief in the dogs they dont need to work as hard that Barry will pick up the slack that they dont need to improve cause barry himself will make the improvement ..... its called the messiah complex .. St kilda have fallen victim of it many times

"The team that wins in the most positions and makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins the game." -- Allan Jeans

http://westernsaints.wordpress.com/
WinnersOnly
SS Life Member

IMO we wont maintain the same success this year...

I am really concerned that the Bulldogs, Pies, Hawks, Crows and Geelong will have a lot more room for improvement from their lists than we will this year.

I believe a number of teams will cut the LYON defensive zone to pieces and we simply dont have the personnel on our list to check the raging hordes. Apart from several proven performers the remaining 22 players significantly drop away in talent compared to other teams listed above. With the break down of the team defence IMO unless LYON pulls out another 'trump card' we wont maintain the same success this year...

I prey that I am wrong !

SAINTS another day older another day closer to the Holy Grail!
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Re: IMO we wont maintain the same success this year...

WinnersOnly wrote:I am really concerned that the Bulldogs, Pies, Hawks, Crows and Geelong will have a lot more room for improvement from their lists than we will this year.

I believe a number of teams will cut the LYON defensive zone to pieces and we simply dont have the personnel on our list to check the raging hordes. Apart from several proven performers the remaining 22 players significantly drop away in talent compared to other teams listed above. With the break down of the team defence IMO unless LYON pulls out another 'trump card' we wont maintain the same success this year...

I prey that I am wrong !
I reassure myself that the boys took a good couple of years to grasp Rossy's gameplan, so will it be easy for other teams to pick it up and sustain it on a consistent basis so quickly?

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

It wasn't the Bulldogs attack that was the problem last year - it was their defense.

I haven't checked but I believe they were the highest scoring team in the H&A season last year?

Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

thejiggingsaint wrote:I reckon Freo get the title of worst ever AFL club...no dispute!!! :lol:
You obviously haven't been around this sport long enough.

We didn't win a game in our first four years in the VFL and only won our first after 48 losses because of a protest. 66 years later we won a premiership and 44 years after that we're still waiting.

Freo are about to start their 17th season and only have one wooden spoon, we have 26.

I dearly love the Saints, but Freo are over 100 years away from beating our dismal record.

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell