Playingt on from Out of bounds...

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

Playingt on from Out of bounds...

In our game, Adam Goode was taking a kick late in the game from out of bounds, and he played on. He moved to his left off the mark and his first 2 or 4 paces were on the outside of the boundary line. He kicked a goal from memory, or a least put the ball into a goal scoring position. In todays game, a player played on from out of bounds near the point post, and the umpire called him back and took the ball off hom and bounced it. This was the correct decision. In other words Goode was allowed to blatently break the rules.

jonesy
Saintsational Legend

Re: Playingt on from Out of bounds...

borderbarry wrote:In our game, Adam Goode was taking a kick late in the game from out of bounds, and he played on. He moved to his left off the mark and his first 2 or 4 paces were on the outside of the boundary line. He kicked a goal from memory, or a least put the ball into a goal scoring position. In todays game, a player played on from out of bounds near the point post, and the umpire called him back and took the ball off hom and bounced it. This was the correct decision. In other words Goode was allowed to blatently break the rules.
Hasn't this always been the case with Goodes?

Bring back the Lockett era
evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

I noticed it as well, couldn't believe it wasn't paid.

However, maybe it's only relevant if you go off your line?

Clueless and mediocre petty tyrant.

Beej
Saintsational Legend

I don't get how it wouldn't be allowed.

Are you saying that if you've marked it right on the boundary line, and are tucked into a pocket lining up for goal, you can't play on?

Because the only place you can play on in that position is when you're out of bounds.

If Goodes held his line, he would've been kicking from beyond the boundary line.

While we're here, umpires do a lousy job at lining a player up when they've marked it deep in a pocket.

kosifantutti23
SS Hall of Fame

If it was the one in the last quarter where he marked on the boundary and then ran straight back and kicked to Mattner, I didn't think there was a problem with that.

But I agree that umpires are hopeless at lining players up on the boundary.

Furtius Quo Rdelious
ausfatcat
Saintsational Legend

I think the difference is if you mark the ball you can play on if you take the shortest route onto the field but if it is a free kick for out bounds on the full you can't.

GrumpyOne
Saintsational Legend
Location: Kicked out of the Coffee Shop, Settlement Pub, Cranbourne

At some of the small suburban grounds I have known, he would have been playing on from inside the clubhouse!

There should be some ruling controlling the play-on situation outside the field of play. In other sports I have umpired/refereed, once the ball goes outside the field of play the game ceases until the ball is returned in a controlled fashion.

Australia...... Live it like we stole it....... Because we did.
Solar
Saintsational Legend

evertonfc wrote:I noticed it as well, couldn't believe it wasn't paid.

However, maybe it's only relevant if you go off your line?
he did go off his line but the umpire did not call play on so therefore he is still behind the mark as far as the umpire is concerned, similar to the 50 that got paid to BJ. In hindsight it was a mistake and is one of those that sometimes gets missed because of the angles the umpires are on, there are alot worse missed

FQF
loyal in the good times and bad
In richo I trust

2013 trade/draft best ever?
Billings - future brownlow medallist Longer - future best ruck
Dunstan - future captain Eli - future cult hero
Acres - future norm smith
remboy
SS Hall of Fame

I've wondered what the rule is about players playing on from outside the field of play. There are a lot of cases where a player goes to take a free kick and moves outside the boundary and is then called to play on while still over the line.
While it makes sense to allow him to get his kick in, I've wondered if a boundary umpire would be correct to call it out of bounds?

Opinions are like arseholes, everybody's got one.
realdeal
Club Player

If he keeps his line and its all in the one action its allowed otherwise you'd be kicking from behind the goals in some cases..

Its when you make 2 moves or just continue to run from behind the line.

Your allowed to play on as long as your going directly from out to in in the same act of play..

borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

I am pretty sure it was an out on the full free. I would like to see it again though to be sure.