Greg Westaway in the Victory Room

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Saints43
Club Player

Greg Westaway in the Victory Room

A couple of interesting points from GW in the VR:

- Club happy with recent player re-signings. Talked about importance of continuity. The Frank Costa anecdote.

- Spoke quickly of the disappointment of AL.

- Seaford is 65% complete and tracking well. Should be ready for use around Christmas.

- Saints will maintain a presence at Moorabbin - not just pokies. Considering having one training session a week on the "MCG standard ground". In talks with other codes regarding ground share. Lease has 35ish years to run. History at Moorabbin important to the club.

- Maintaining Moorabbin links will be important if St Kilda ever run their own VFL team which is being considered for the future.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Re: Greg Westaway in the Victory Room

Saints43 wrote:A couple of interesting points from GW in the VR:

- Club happy with recent player re-signings. Talked about importance of continuity. The Frank Costa anecdote.

- Seaford is 65% complete and tracking well. Should be ready for use around Christmas.

- Saints will maintain a presence at Moorabbin - not just pokies. Considering having one training session a week on the "MCG standard ground". In talks with other codes regarding ground share. Lease has 35ish years to run. History at Moorabbin important to the club.

- Maintaining Moorabbin links will be important if St Kilda ever run their own VFL team which is being considered for the future.
How did you hear him. The lack of respect shown by some of the crowd was a disgrace. Maybe they should just stop players talking. They may shut some of the crowd up.

R. Harvey 3 votes!
Club Player

plugger66 wrote:

How did you hear him. The lack of respect shown by some of the crowd was a disgrace. Maybe they should just stop players talking. They may shut some of the crowd up.
Couldn't agree more, it was an absolute disgrace! How hard is it for people to bloody shut up and show the president of the club and the players the respect they deserve when they are talking to the crowd? You don't have to be there? If you want to chat at the after game, leave the function go outside when they are talking up on the podium. I know Bruce Eva personally aswell and it is also disrespectful to him when he is comparing the after game stuff. It isn't hard - Shut up!

When Harvey played his first game in 1988, I was a 12yo wearing short pants and struggling with my readin', writin' and 'rithmetic in grade eight. Now, I'm a father of three and a retired AFL player. And he's still going. Amazing! - Michael Voss
GrumpyOne
Saintsational Legend
Location: Kicked out of the Coffee Shop, Settlement Pub, Cranbourne

Saints43 wrote:Considering having one training session a week on the "MCG standard ground".
Interesting...... Seaford is supposed to have a MCG standard ground.

Australia...... Live it like we stole it....... Because we did.
saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

GrumpyOne wrote:
Saints43 wrote:Considering having one training session a week on the "MCG standard ground".
Interesting...... Seaford is supposed to have a MCG standard ground.
MCG size-

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
casey scorp
Club Player

Two reasons for once a week at Moorabbin:

1/ Locks in a presence (which is required to maintain leasehold rights)

2/ It's a concession to the players, so they don't have to go to Seaford every time.

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

casey scorp wrote:Two reasons for once a week at Moorabbin:

1/ Locks in a presence (which is required to maintain leasehold rights)

2/ It's a concession to the players, so they don't have to go to Seaford every time.
:idea: maybe easier - location and parking wise_ to have the open training there?

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

While I understand the point are making about lack of respect in listening there is a time and place for everything.

I compere quite a few functions myself professionally and I would make the following suggestions/observations:

1/ After a win PLAY the club theme song after a win. A few renditions of "Oh when the Saints..." (This used to always occur in the SC....and I cannot understand why it is no longer done)....it is what the fans want and enjoy...so give it to them.
Give the crowd a burst of being noisy...and they will then listen for a bit...particularly as singing the club song will unify the crowd...and gains attention.

2/The crowd would then be more willing to listen..but just for a bit. Having compered many events myself I know that such an audience is never going to want to listen for long. They have just had a win..have been mainly watching than talking for two hours.....so want to have a few drinks and talk about what they have just seen etc. A really attentive audience in such a circumstance is just not going to happen unless their is genuinely a special reason (ie Banger ).

So keep your speeches short and sharp.

It was great for Westaway to come in...and too few Saints Presidents have been regular visitors to the SC in recent years. But given the situation you need to keep it short. Would also help to get the crowd working with you by calling for "three cheers", or the like, at the start. ie you need to work the crowd..

I think Bruce lacks a bit in knowledge of how to work a crowd and lapses in radio interviewer mode where you have an audience that wants to listen and can't be heard. A live "drinking" audience is very tough crowd.

With a live audience you have to "capture" attention and not just ask for it. This probably unfortunate, but is the reality of situations where you have beer and blokes in a social setting.

However Bruce probably volunteers for this and if so kudos for him in this.
Such a crowd is always going to be hard work.

Pat on the back:
With the senior players who have played now often coming in quite late it is good that the club now brings into the SC players who have not played and the occasional club official, coach to provide some feedback in the gap before the playing players come in. The club started doing this last year. So well done.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

Good points saintsRrising- it is great that they get some players up earlier..

the other thing to keep in mind is the Club does try and fulfill.... the
"we want to see the players..." wishes that they get from supporters

what dissapoints me is that there is the general lack of respect when it happens

thought- suggestion- possibility?
is there an option for second/ room or section that can be for interviews, player chats, autgraphs etc- that is further away from the bar--- allow a ' chat discussion area for those who so obviously Do NoT want to hear........

cost? feasibility? time? volounteers?

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

saintbrat wrote:
is there an option for second/ room or section that can be for interviews, player chats, autgraphs etc- that is further away from the bar--- allow a ' chat discussion area for those who so obviously Do NoT want to hear........

cost? feasibility? time? volunteers?
Well the autograph part works reasonably well. ie a long roped off area that the players walk up and down.

I would take a different tack. After game functions are more about celebrating and chatting. So don't try and make it into something that it will not be.

The speeches are great to add some flavour. They just need to be short, sharp and reinforce why supporters are there..to celebrate and cheer.

Please bring back singing the club song after a win.

For serious interviews pre-game and "not-at-a-game functions" are better. That is where you can go and listen.

I guess the problem at present is that there are no real vehicles to do this where you do not have to part with $100-ish a head, and so there is little for the average fan in this regard.

Saint Bev
SS Life Member

So who has resigned?

Qld Saints Supporter Group
Spinner
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:

How did I hear him? Stood right in the front, 4 meters away! Actuaqlly spoke really really well right! :D :D

Should have a beer next time p66! Would like to know the man behind the screen! 8-)

saintnick12
Club Player

saintsRrising wrote:
saintbrat wrote:

cost? feasibility? time? volunteers?
Well the autograph part works reasonably well. ie a long roped off area that the players walk up and down.

I would take a different tack. After game functions are more about celebrating and chatting. So don't try and make it into something that it will not be.

The speeches are great to add some flavour. They just need to be short, sharp and reinforce why supporters are there..to celebrate and cheer.

Please bring back singing the club song after a win.

For serious interviews pre-game and "not-at-a-game functions" are better. That is where you can go and listen.

I guess the problem at present is that there are no real vehicles to do this where you do not have to part with $100-ish a head, and so there is little for the average fan in this regard.
Agree they should sing the club song after a win. Its what people want, and would be a good lead in to the interviews as would already stop the conversations by joining as one. Perhaps the guests should lead it....

My favourite memory of a night in the social club is one two maybe three years ago where ROO came in after a hard win. Would have been 07 or 08 at a time we were struggling. Roo was clearly excited by the win and lead the room in a rousing rendition of the team song. I go to games with my son and parents and we go to the social club after all home games, but we are usually long gone by the time the senior players arrive. Mum and dad prefer to go home and have a drink at home watching the replay and my son is either playing sport the next day or has school so we always end up going before they get there, particulary after night games. It certainly has got later and later in recent years, though the new initiative from last year to bring in injured or up and coming players earlier on is a good move. My son was quite happy to meet and get some autographs from Cahill, Smith and Hutchings last night.

"At the end of the day, a coach and a fitness adviser doesn't make a good football team, they're not the only ones who got us to two Grand Finals." Lenny Hayes. 27/9/2011.
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Oh...and GW also said from memory that we had about 500 members sign up at the game and that he expected by Tuesday that Membership would at 37K.

chook23
Saintsational Legend

Could not quite hear ...............but mentioned an update on fisher

Anyone hear it clearly?

think it was good news :wink:
Last edited by chook23 on Sun 04 Apr 2010 11:25pm, edited 1 time in total.

saint4life
skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Saints43 wrote: - Maintaining Moorabbin links will be important if St Kilda ever run their own VFL team which is being considered for the future.
:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

That little bit of information has gone by largely unnoticed in this thread

What do people think of that... i've always been of the opinion that that's a financial blackhole of the highest order and am quite happy to have finally aligned with the zebras

would hate to stuff that up...

that being said, a saints reserves may let us get a good look at players like Silvagni and Barlow and not let them slip through our fingers

what does every1 else think

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

skeptic wrote:
Saints43 wrote: - Maintaining Moorabbin links will be important if St Kilda ever run their own VFL team which is being considered for the future.

What do people think of that... i've always been of the opinion that that's a financial blackhole of the highest order and am quite happy to have finally aligned with the zebras

that being said, a saints reserves may let us get a good look at players like Silvagni and Barlow and not let them slip through our fingers

I think the Board have just askeda few "what-if" sceanarios and have factored it into their planning.

The siutaution may be different in 2, 5, 10 years...so to keep the options open is not a bad thing if there are no cost penalties.

Milan Faletic
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote:While I understand the point are making about lack of respect in listening there is a time and place for everything.

I compere quite a few functions myself professionally and I would make the following suggestions/observations:

1/ After a win PLAY the club theme song after a win. A few renditions of "Oh when the Saints..." (This used to always occur in the SC....and I cannot understand why it is no longer done)....it is what the fans want and enjoy...so give it to them.
Give the crowd a burst of being noisy...and they will then listen for a bit...particularly as singing the club song will unify the crowd...and gains attention.

2/The crowd would then be more willing to listen..but just for a bit. Having compered many events myself I know that such an audience is never going to want to listen for long. They have just had a win..have been mainly watching than talking for two hours.....so want to have a few drinks and talk about what they have just seen etc. A really attentive audience in such a circumstance is just not going to happen unless their is genuinely a special reason (ie Banger ).

So keep your speeches short and sharp.

It was great for Westaway to come in...and too few Saints Presidents have been regular visitors to the SC in recent years. But given the situation you need to keep it short. Would also help to get the crowd working with you by calling for "three cheers", or the like, at the start. ie you need to work the crowd..

I think Bruce lacks a bit in knowledge of how to work a crowd and lapses in radio interviewer mode where you have an audience that wants to listen and can't be heard. A live "drinking" audience is very tough crowd.

With a live audience you have to "capture" attention and not just ask for it. This probably unfortunate, but is the reality of situations where you have beer and blokes in a social setting.

However Bruce probably volunteers for this and if so kudos for him in this.
Such a crowd is always going to be hard work.

Pat on the back:
With the senior players who have played now often coming in quite late it is good that the club now brings into the SC players who have not played and the occasional club official, coach to provide some feedback in the gap before the playing players come in. The club started doing this last year. So well done.
Great post and very valid points, but in support of plugger, people should shut up for just a few minutes out of respect.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Milan Faletic wrote:
, people should shut up for just a few minutes out of respect.
One of my points was to keep it short and sharp.

GW while informative and interesting to me spoke for a fair bit more than a few minutes....

While doing a very good job as President he is no skilled orator. So difficult for him to hold attention for long....or at least to the type of audience you will find in a bar when he beer is flowing, and many have had a few and in buoyant spirits.
Last edited by saintsRrising on Sun 04 Apr 2010 11:56pm, edited 1 time in total.

Milan Faletic
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote:
Milan Faletic wrote:
, people should shut up for just a few minutes out of respect.
One of my points was to keep it short and sharp.

GW while informative and interesting to me spoke for a fair bit more than a few minutes....

While doinga very good job as President he is no skilled orator. So difficult for him to hold attention for long.
One of my points was great post. Don't stress.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Milan Faletic wrote:
Don't stress.
I am not stressed... :wink:

Big wins relax me greatly!!!

Milan Faletic
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote:
Milan Faletic wrote:
Don't stress.
I am not stressed... :wink:

Big wins relax me greatly!!!
Me too. It was bloody fantastic.

Saintsfan
Club Player

skeptic wrote:

Why would having a reserves team be the difference in the two Fremantle rookies being with us and not?

We had a better chance than all other clubs at looking at them both when they either trained with us or played with Casey and we did not decide to take them on. Dissapointing in hindsight however so be it.

In the end a reserves St.Kilda team playing in the vfl is still going to have non listed players and they could possibly be picked up by another team. Regardless of what the team is called it is the same situation.

Just one of those things really and already some are harping on about how we should have picked them up and why didn't we when we had the chance (not directed at you by the way).

Silvagni would not get a game with us and Barlow would. Well, I think he would based on the two entire games I have seen him play. Hell he could turn out to be a complete dud.

The Saintsfan Cometh
skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Saintsfan wrote: Why would having a reserves team be the difference in the two Fremantle rookies being with us and not?
I only meant it in the sense then that to field a team we would have to have some non listed players which I imagine would be guys hand picked that we wanted to have a closer look at.

Barlow may have been a case in point. They looked at him as I believe (don't know for sure) he trained with us for while, but maybe a year as a supp player would have given us a better avenue to assess him properly

Silvagni really not an appropriate example. Word was that we wanted to get him as mature age rookie but couldn't because of Leigh FIsher??? Dunno if that's true either

True Blue Sainter
Club Player

Saint Bev wrote:So who has resigned?
I hope no-one has resigned. But I do hope we re-sign several of our big guns 8-)

The Saints are coming!