The SCARF SALUTE. Well Done SAINTERS !!

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Eastern
Saintsational Legend

The SCARF SALUTE. Well Done SAINTERS !!

It was a really good "FIRST UP EFFORT" with the SCARF SALUTE. Well Done to all those who got involved.

From where I was (Level 1 Aisle 36) there were really good numbers of SAINTS FANS/MEMBERS saluting the team with their scarves all over the place. I could see people in the Social Club area, people in the Cheersquad and people in the AFL members holding their scarves up as the team ran out on to the ground. I'd love to know how it went on Level 2 & Level 3 (incl the MOORABBIN WING).

One pleasing aspect of the SALUTE was that people around us on the city side wing were rendomlyn joining in and asking others what it was all about.

Like I said, it was a fantastic First Up Effort but it can and will get BIGGER & BETTER. Apart from on here and on Saints Central, we have had people posting this SCARF SALUTE idea on Facebook & Twitter and it appears to have been received VERY WELL

THe challenge now is to MAKE IT GROW, and we won't get a better opportunity than Friday Night when we will probably be outnumbered at our home game.

C'mon saints fans. LETS MAKE THIS THING WORK !!

NEW scarf signature (hopefully with correct spelling) will be here as soon as it arrives !!

SaintDebi
Club Player

I didn't see a lot of scarves up Eastern, but must admit we got to our seats as the boys were already running out, so maybe we missed a lot of it. Still held mine up while the last of them were coming out.
I'm glad you saw a number of people doing it. I really hope this takes off.
I want it to become OUR thing.
Can just imagine in 5 or 10 years time, commentators on telly saying something like "....and there are the scarves. Yep, thats been a unique StKilda thing for a long time now......"

Shattered dreams are just opportunities for improvement. Live and learn, fail and try harder. 2011 beckons.
Eastern
Saintsational Legend

SaintDebi wrote: I'm glad you saw a number of people doing it. I really hope this takes off.
I want it to become OUR thing.
Can just imagine in 5 or 10 years time, commentators on telly saying something like "....and there are the scarves. Yep, thats been a unique StKilda thing for a long time now......"
That is the "BIG PICTURE PLAN" !!

NEW scarf signature (hopefully with correct spelling) will be here as soon as it arrives !!

saint1974
Club Player

Did see a few people in the social club area do it,thought it looked great.
Would be great to really get this going,lets make this a Saints supporters tribute!

Eastern
Saintsational Legend

HOW DO WE GROW THIS IDEA ????

I have ONE suggestion;

That we ALL inform those who sit around us at the footy of the idea and what it symbloizes. I'm sure that TRUE SAINTS FANS will not need further any encouragement to join in. Any further suggestions?

This is going to take a bit of time but I'm convinced that WE can make it work !!

markinUSA
SS Life Member

Great idea!

In the US, they have one team that waves a towel around... they call it the terrible towel... all the money goes to a charity which the team sponsors... it is very popular.

Could really be on to something here.

P.S. I see that there seems to be an automatic spell checker operating now. I'm sure Spelly will appreciate!!

"Don't give up, never give up" - Robert Harvey.
Duggie
Club Player

Sure looked well on the telly :lol:

A Saint Forever!
saintnick12
Club Player

I was sitting in the social club and didn't really see anyone holding them up. Totally forgot about it myself. But what I did notice is how good all the scraves looked with everyone wearing them. The little part of the replay I have watched so far showed they looked fantastic on TV. Well done Sainters!!!

"At the end of the day, a coach and a fitness adviser doesn't make a good football team, they're not the only ones who got us to two Grand Finals." Lenny Hayes. 27/9/2011.
SaintDebi
Club Player

Eastern wrote:HOW DO WE GROW THIS IDEA ????

I have ONE suggestion;

That we ALL inform those who sit around us at the footy of the idea and what it symbloizes. I'm sure that TRUE SAINTS FANS will not need further any encouragement to join in. Any further suggestions?

This is going to take a bit of time but I'm convinced that WE can make it work !!
Could you post some sort of printable flyer explaining the idea Eastern? If we all print off a dozen each we could put them randomly on empty StKilda seats. That should create discussion amongst people nearby and maybe help the idea take off.
Thats if "security" wouldn't stop us handing out unsolicited flyers.
Just an idea.

Shattered dreams are just opportunities for improvement. Live and learn, fail and try harder. 2011 beckons.
Milan Faletic
Saintsational Legend

I was up doing it on Level 3 on the Moorabbin Wing and there were quite a few people doing it.

We'll get there. I like positive people like you Eastern. I'll back you. :wink:

Wonder whether Beer-nerd will criticise this as well.

I mean clubs have been doing it around the world for years so it's not original. Why copy other clubs?

All members have a scarf, so it is the lowest common denominator.

Hang on, I didn't suggest it so I'm sure he will approve it.
Last edited by Milan Faletic on Mon 05 Apr 2010 11:29pm, edited 1 time in total.

rexy
SS Life Member

Perhaps Email the club and suggest that it gets flashed on the scoreboard at home games, if the club controls that?

Maybe this year?
cowboy18
Saintsational Legend

it's a lovely idea and looked terrific at the GF wake at docklands but...

We have such a clappable song. Easy to sing too.

Perhaps scarves up when the other team fronts up? I think a lot us like to clap and sing out of time when the song comes on.

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

cowboy18 wrote:
Perhaps scarves up when the other team fronts up? I think a lot us like to clap and sing out of time when the song comes on.
like that idea- welcome them with colour-- similiar lines to the "Sssssssyddneeeeeeey' shout they were encouraging after every Saints goal the week before
or the 19th man idea in Adelaide.

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
oneteam
Club Player

If we are all holding up our scarves , how do we applaud as they come out on to the arena?

If all die hards hold up scarves it will be too quiet for me.

need to hold them up and yell !

mrkiss
Club Player

scarfes up

after the games when we win as well is a goer

im one of the ppl on facebook who wants this to grow

anyone can do the essendon wizz over the head but not everyone holds them high over there head as a sign of unity

saint66au
Saintsational Legend

The ground announcer guy has to prompt people at a suitable time (Not while the songs playing) to get everyone involved

When the other team runs out is not a bad idea at all, noones cheering or clapping

WOuld work a treat against Freo in a couple of weeks..would be a sea of scarves

Or.....as the team take up their positions after the toss

No reply from the Club?

THE BUBBLE HAS BURST

2011 player sponsor
Eastern
Saintsational Legend

NO. Pretty poor really !!