luke ball and how we act tomorrow night

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

terry smith rules
SS Life Member

luke ball and how we act tomorrow night

I think the players have shown us the lead on this. It happened move on we (the club) have our eyes on the prize.

Don't be distracted by getting into a thing by making the point of the night your treatment of Ball.

Look at how immature the bomber supporters looked last week with Mcphee.

Let us show the world that we have moved on and have greater and more important aims.

fqf

stinger
Saintsational Legend

yep....poor form to boo a former club captain...imhfo.....

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
TazzieSaintGirl83
Club Player

I think the players themselves have said it best when they said that between the sirens he is the same as any opposition player.
Thats the best way to treat him, no better or worse than you would any other opposition player.

100% Sainter Girl Through and Through
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Ball is a Pie...

He will get yelled at like any other Pie as far as I am concerned.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
Armoooo
Saintsational Legend

I'll forever despise Luke Ball now for the way he has acted but I'm beyond the point of caring enough to boo his every possesion...

More importantly however I'm seeing the game with a couple of Collingwood supporting mates so I hope to god that Armitage plays better than Ball... as the Armo v Ball debate was very prominent during the off season...

ROBERT HARVEY A.K.A The Great Man, Banger, Harves, Ol' Man River...
384 games, 4 B&F's, 3 EJ Whitten Medals, St.Kilda Captain, 2 Time Brownlow Medalist, 8 Time All Australian, 2nd Highest Brownlow votes poller.... The greatest of ALL TIME!!
St Chris
SS Hall of Fame

So we all agree, boo every collingwood player that gets a touch so Ball doesn't feel like we're picking on him :D

stinger
Saintsational Legend

St Chris wrote:So we all agree, boo every collingwood player that gets a touch so Ball doesn't feel like we're picking on him :D
:wink: :wink: :lol:

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
MCG-Unit
SS Life Member

No way in the world would I boo Luke Ball.....

I don't bother with booing anyone really :shock:

Hold your ground :shock:
B W and R all over
SS Hall of Fame

I won't boo.

I will laugh uncontrollably when one of his booming 25m kicks goes out of bounds or hits a St Kilda player on the chest, but I won't boo.

25 minutes to make a name for yourself like you've never made before.
roxanne
Club Player

Going on games to date, I doubt I'll notice him.

"He spoke of his stride, his power and his willingness to push himself to exhaustion. All of the things that are on display each weekend in the No 12 jumper" Garry Lyon
older saint
SS Life Member

Work on the Sheedy theory. Bradley chose Carlton over Essendon and everytime they played essendon they made sure by the end of the game he felt he made the wrong choice.

Ball chose himself over the club. the club includes the supporters therefore he should cop both barrels from everyone. It is not like a player who the club trades getting booed.

St. Luke
Saintsational Legend

Re: luke ball and how we act tomorrow night

terry smith rules wrote:I think the players have shown us the lead on this. It happened move on we (the club) have our eyes on the prize.

Don't be distracted by getting into a thing by making the point of the night your treatment of Ball.

Look at how immature the bomber supporters looked last week with Mcphee.

Let us show the world that we have moved on and have greater and more important aims.

fqf
Same thing happened with Fevola...and look what happened there. Really silly for players to be too focused on one particular player from the opposition like that. Balls' input will be insignificient in the big picture of things and should be treated as such. No reason for us to cough up a winnable game against the filth!

When they created LENNY HAYES (in the shadow of Harvs) they forgot to break the mold (again)- hence the Supremely Incredible Jack Steven!!
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Armoooo wrote:I'll forever despise Luke Ball now for the way he has acted but I'm beyond the point of caring enough to boo his every possesion...

More importantly however I'm seeing the game with a couple of Collingwood supporting mates so I hope to god that Armitage plays better than Ball... as the Armo v Ball debate was very prominent during the off season...
How did he actually act for you to despise him? From what i can gather on here he is a hack who wouldnt have got a game so decided to leave. Back on topic, never understood what a boo actually is so i havent bood anyone. Not starting this week on a player who decided he isnt good enough to get a game at our club so he left.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

I'm so bored of Luke Ball (not having a go at the forum - i mean in the mainstream media)

Its amazing how everyone in the media and most footy fans apart from saints fans are surprised that he is a middle of the road player. They are reporting it ilke its "news" when pretty much all saints fans and 99.9% of people on this forum have known for 4 years.

Hes an ok player on the fringe of your 22. He is very good in close and has a big work ethic and heart but Cant run or kick and is nowhere near a star player like he we touted as being when he was 19 and never ever will be. If he has as good a career as shane o'bree hed have got the most from himself . Thats about where hes at and where he has been at for 3 years.

I guess its only news or a "surprise" because GT was deluded/weird enough to offer him $600,000 bucks a year making him one of the top paid guys in the league.

PS : Has Rodger Fox ever defended his hero GT on this matter?

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:I'm so bored of Luke Ball (not having a go at the forum - i mean in the mainstream media)

Its amazing how everyone in the media and most footy fans apart from saints fans are surprised that he is a middle of the road player. They are reporting it ilke its "news" when pretty much all saints fans and 99.9% of people on this forum have known for 4 years.

Hes an ok player on the fringe of your 22. He is very good in close and has a big work ethic and heart but Cant run or kick and is nowhere near a star player like he we touted as being when he was 19 and never ever will be. If he has as good a career as shane o'bree hed have got the most from himself . Thats about where hes at and where he has been at for 3 years.

I guess its only news or a "surprise" because GT was deluded/weird enough to offer him $600,000 bucks a year making him one of the top paid guys in the league.

We write about it all the time so that suggests people including the media think it is newsworthy. By the way the timeframes suggest GT may have had nothing to do with Bally's contract as he may have been sacked by then.

MCG-Unit
SS Life Member

Con Gorozidis wrote:
......I guess its only news or a "surprise" because GT was deluded/weird enough to offer him $600,000 bucks a year making him one of the top paid guys in the league.

Just wondering how you know what contract Ball was on, or is on now...

Have you seen an extract of the contract - or did you read it in the papers or on SS :shock:

Hold your ground :shock:
Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:I'm so bored of Luke Ball (not having a go at the forum - i mean in the mainstream media)

We write about it all the time so that suggests people including the media think it is newsworthy. By the way the timeframes suggest GT may have had nothing to do with Bally's contract as he may have been sacked by then.
I believe 2009 was the last year of his contract negotiated in 2006.
I don't know if that was negotiated prior to GT being sacked or after.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:

So someone else had him on 600K ? Ill go back and research that cos i reckon ull find it was a GT job - but ill stand corrected if im wrong.

We write it here about cos we are saints fans and he left the saints looking for a better deal. fair enough.. its a saints forum. But in terms of the bigger general footy media - for me its about the same newsworthiness as adam mcphee. very very similar in my books. the point im making is ball gets a million times more press than mcphee cos they seem to think hes a superstar. when hes a mid ranked player - like mcphee.

so why do u reckon ball is more coverage than a mcphee (by about 100 to 1)?

saintnick12
Club Player

Pretty sure he signed for three years in GT"s last year (2006) so contract expired end 2009. As his 2005 was so good, he was in a good bargaining position and obviously got a great deal...

I won't be booing him. Didn't at the NAB game, and didn't let my 14 year old son either. No need to boo your former captain. Mind you, I'm sure I'll have a chuckle at any mistakes, bad kicks etc during the game.

I agree he left as he could see the writing on the wall...that he would struggle at times to get a game, or whole games.
The best thing we can do is for our midfield to have another cracking game to show we don't miss him at all, and for us to beat them easily.
I don't object to him leaving....I can understand why....
What I object to is him saying he ONLY wanted to be traded to Collingwood, forcing us into a very difficult bargaining position. Also don't like the way things were handled after that...refusing to talk to other teams etc.
But still. I won't boo him.
I liked him enough last year to get his number on my two year old's jumper. This was partly cos he could say it, but also because we really liked him. Glad now we only got the number and not the name. At the Sydney game, my husband took him to the toilet, and a saints fan commented on the jumper. THe guy said, he hasn't got Luke Ball on his jumper, its GEARY. Go Geary!!

"At the end of the day, a coach and a fitness adviser doesn't make a good football team, they're not the only ones who got us to two Grand Finals." Lenny Hayes. 27/9/2011.
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

So someone else had him on 600K ? Ill go back and research that cos i reckon ull find it was a GT job - but ill stand corrected if im wrong.

We write it here about cos we are saints fans and he left the saints looking for a better deal. fair enough.. its a saints forum. But in terms of the bigger general footy media - for me its about the same newsworthiness as adam mcphee. very very similar in my books. the point im making is ball gets a million times more press than mcphee cos they seem to think hes a superstar. when hes a mid ranked player - like mcphee.

McPhee went to Freo in WA. Bally went to the biggest club in Australia. Ball is an ex captain of last years second best side and went to another contender so I can see why Bally gets a lot more publicity.

Unless Ball signed a 4 year deal for his last contract GT was gone.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Based on current form, I think RL showed more sentiment to Luke Ball in offering him a new 3 year contract than he is accustomed to showing.

I won't be booing, but I am happy with the club's direction in this matter.

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

McPhee went to Freo in WA. Bally went to the biggest club in Australia. Ball is an ex captain of last years second best side and went to another contender so I can see why Bally gets a lot more publicity.

Sorry Plugger,
But if he signed a new 3 year deal for seasons 2007, 2008, 2009 during 2006 hten GT was there.
I don't know for sure that's what occured, but I think it did.
Similar to Reiwoldt signing his new contract for future years during the final year of his last contract.
Many players sign new contracts before their last one is completed.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Mr Magic wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

Sorry Plugger,
But if he signed a new 3 year deal for seasons 2007, 2008, 2009 during 2006 hten GT was there.
I don't know for sure that's what occured, but I think it did.
Similar to Reiwoldt signing his new contract for future years during the final year of his last contract.
Many players sign new contracts before their last one is completed.
Many more sign at the end of the contract but yes the better plays can sign during a contract. Who knows but we can safely say we dont know for sure that GT signed him to the deal. is that ok with you MM.

saintnick12
Club Player

Found a link on big footy quoting sportal article 6/10/06 so GT would have been gone by then. But only by a couple of weeks, and we wouldn't have had a new couch yet. We can assume negotiations we well under way before GT was sacked though. So in those circs, I wonder who did the actual signing. Didn't they put SHeldon in that position in the interim.

http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/showthread.php?t=274632

"At the end of the day, a coach and a fitness adviser doesn't make a good football team, they're not the only ones who got us to two Grand Finals." Lenny Hayes. 27/9/2011.
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

saintnick12 wrote:Found a link on big footy quoting sportal article 6/10/06 so GT would have been gone by then. But only by a couple of weeks, and we wouldn't have had a new couch yet. We can assume negotiations we well under way before GT was sacked though. So in those circs, I wonder who did the actual signing. Didn't they put SHeldon in that position in the interim.

http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/showthread.php?t=274632

So we can safely put to bed this notion that GT signed Bally on his famous overpriced contract.