Riewoldt injury info from "On the Couch"

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

sainterinsydney
Club Player

Riewoldt injury info from "On the Couch"

Mike Sheahan and Hirdy were discussing Rooey's injury on "On the Couch" tonight. It apparently is 10cm from the bone, not a 10cm gash lengthwise. Hird spoke to the surgeon and they think it probable that he will be back this year. It all depends on the healing process. I have to say they weren't overly optimistic; but then again, we will just have to wait an see.

sainterinsydney
Club Player

They were also talking about round 20 as a possible comeback date.

iwantmeseats
SS Life Member

I got a feeling it will be before r 20.

sainterinsydney
Club Player

I hope so. The thing is that no one knows yet. We have to let time go by. Everyone thought Fisher wouldn't play till round 8. Who would have thought he would be back last week?

I think St. Kilda must prepare and plan as if Riewoldt was never there and may not come back. I feel strongly he will be back, but we must prepare a structure that doesn't have him in the side. I still feel we could win the flag without him.

Thinline
Saintsational Legend

All very speculative, people.

Give it a fortnight, then we'll have an idea.

"The inches we need are everywhere around us. They're in every break in the game. Every minute, every second. On this team we fight for that inch. On this team we tear ourselves and everyone around us to pieces for that inch. We claw with our fingernails for that inch. Because we know when we add up all those inches that's gonna make the f***in' difference between winning and losing! Between living and dying!'
linz
Club Player

sainterinsydney wrote:I hope so. The thing is that no one knows yet. We have to let time go by. Everyone thought Fisher wouldn't play till round 8. Who would have thought he would be back last week?

I think St. Kilda must prepare and plan as if Riewoldt was never there and may not come back. I feel strongly he will be back, but we must prepare a structure that doesn't have him in the side. I still feel we could win the flag without him.
Heally started the whole discussion by saying that he had discussed with Matt Richardson on 3AW about a similar injury he had sustained & how long it took for HIM to get back. Richo said he sustained his injury in Rd4 but was unable to resume until Rd20. As he was approaching the end of his career, he wanted to give himself every chance of resuming ASAP.

He wasn't right to go though. He alluded to the fact that maybe ROO should be very conservative & maybe consider thinking of next year instead as he has many fruitfull years of footy ahead.

Richo loves Roo so there's no reason to ridicule his opinion but I would assume the surgeons who started digging & stitching away today will have a better idea of how long Roo will be out.

Injuries are all different.

In our favour also; Richo was about 6 yrs older than Roo when the injuries were sustained and Roo has a good record for recovery.

I once spent a year in Adelaide, I think it was on a Sunday.
saint patrick
Saintsational Legend

Round 14 guys..

against Melbourne.With the bye in round 12 that will be a 12 week turn around.Not based on fact but hope...lets see how close I am !

Sure there will be more definative statements re the expected time line from the club and medicos in the next few weeks!

Will be grilling the surgeons at work tommorrow re any goss around the traps :wink:

Never take a backward step even to gain momentum.....

'It's OK to have the capabilities and abilities, but you've got to get it done." Terry Daniher 05

"We have beauty in our captain and we have a true leader in our coach. Our time will come"
Thinline.Post 09 Grand final.
Saintsfan
Club Player

Thinline wrote:All very speculative, people.

if it is a 4 month injury what will two weeks do?

The Saintsfan Cometh
saint patrick
Saintsational Legend

Saintsfan wrote:

4 months is just speculation at this early stage..a few weeks might be required to ascertain how its likely to play out..extra scans etc

'It's OK to have the capabilities and abilities, but you've got to get it done." Terry Daniher 05

"We have beauty in our captain and we have a true leader in our coach. Our time will come"
linz
Club Player

saint patrick wrote:Round 14 guys..

against Melbourne.With the bye in round 12 that will be a 12 week turn around.Not based on fact but hope...lets see how close I am !

Sure there will be more definative statements re the expected time line from the club and medicos in the next few weeks!

Will be grilling the surgeons at work tommorrow re any goss around the traps :wink:
Que Que Sara Sara whatever will be will be it all depends on Roos sore KNEE
:oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:

Gabba
SS Hall of Fame

Saintsfan wrote:

It will give a better indication on how the surgery went and how the tear is healing :roll:

3rd generation saint
Saintsational Legend

Let's not forget Richo was well into his 30's with his injury.
Roo is younger and has no history of soft tissue injury so I would be safe to assume his recovery will be shorter than Richo's.

Except for the sanity nothing much has been lost.
Leo.J
SS Life Member

I'm hoping for rd.15 - 16 ...thats 12 - 13 weeks including the split round.

Gives 6 - 7 weeks until finals, plenty of time to get match fitness.

Surgeons are never optimistic with recovery times or diagnosis, they can't afford to be in todays litigeous society...

Eastern
Saintsational Legend

Roo's return could be Rd 16 v Collingwood. Should be a nice quiet week to slip back into the side !!

NEW scarf signature (hopefully with correct spelling) will be here as soon as it arrives !!

saint patrick
Saintsational Legend

:twisted:

linz
Club Player

3rd generation saint wrote:Let's not forget Richo was well into his 30's with his injury.
Roo is younger and has no history of soft tissue injury so I would be safe to assume his recovery will be shorter than Richo's.
Derrr that's what I sa.... I mean good point I agree. :lol: (If only Malthouse went to my classes 8-)

Leo.J
SS Life Member

3rd generation saint wrote:Let's not forget Richo was well into his 30's with his injury.
Rooey is 27

Richo was 34

7 years difference... big difference regarding recovery imo

sainterinsydney
Club Player

It's true regarding the age. The two comparisons being used were both in the twilight of their careers--Richo and Lloyd. I reckon you could nurse him back around round 14.

Beej
Saintsational Legend

Reading this thread has just ruined my evening. :twisted:

oakleighboy
Club Player

Get a grip on it people.
No one on this site knows when he will be back.
Comparing Fishers time out to Roos is just plain dumb.
Only Roo and the surgeons know the truth.
If he is back this year then thats great.
Not a damn thing anyone on here can do.
Pipe dreams of eight, ten weeks are pie in the sky stuff.
You are not medicos.
Post only when we know the facts and until them stop wasting internet space.
Harsh word but we all need to get a grip on reality.

If he does come back this year he will be so underdone, lack fitness, pace, leg strength, reduce explosive pace.
It takes a long time to rebuild that.

Regards.

SydneySainter
SS Hall of Fame

It's the round 20 prediction that is a real worry. Over the course of the weekend, it has gone from a four week injury to six weeks, eight weeks, ten weeks, twelve weeks and now seventeen weeks. While he hasn't torn his hamstring off the bone, it sounds like he's done the next worse thing.

Oh well. While I'm not deranged enough to suggest that this is a blessing in disguise, there is that old saying 'where there is crisis, there is opportunity'.

Until we have an administration that demands success and a playing group that bleeds for the guernsey, St. Kilda will just be a sh*tty football club.
saintsrus
SS Hall of Fame

oakleighboy wrote: Post only when we know the facts and until them stop wasting internet space.

Regards.
There would be one post a week on here if you had your way :wink:

Before Im 85
mullet
Saintsational Legend

If Rooey's surgeon has spoken to James Hird about Rooeys surgery then isnt this against the hypocratic oath.

I would find it really hard to believe that a Doctor would talk to someone not directly related to the patient about the prognosis.

If this is true then Rooey needs to look for a new doctor.

saintnick12
Club Player

mullet wrote:If Rooey's surgeon has spoken to James Hird about Rooeys surgery then isnt this against the hypocratic oath.

I would find it really hard to believe that a Doctor would talk to someone not directly related to the patient about the prognosis.

If this is true then Rooey needs to look for a new doctor.
I was thinking this exact same thing as I was watching the show.

Where's Roo's privacy?? As much as we all want to know, surely Hirdy can't just ring his old mate the Dr, and say "Hey, what's the go with Roo's knee" and be given all the facts, but he seems to have them all...very strange.

Hirdy seemed to be more optomistic about Roo coming back and making a contribution than Healy (with his physio background). Not that Gerard was saying he coudn't get back, more that the club might decide not to risk him if it was very late anyway when he got back so as not to risk him long term. This was similar to what Robbo was saying earlier. I don't agree with that. If they are doing well leading into finals and he gets the all clear, he will play...I don't think there is much doubt about that.
Last edited by saintnick12 on Tue 13 Apr 2010 12:17am, edited 1 time in total.

"At the end of the day, a coach and a fitness adviser doesn't make a good football team, they're not the only ones who got us to two Grand Finals." Lenny Hayes. 27/9/2011.
sainterinsydney
Club Player

Actually, that is very pertinent point.