Francis Leach: On Stephen Milne

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

Francis Leach: On Stephen Milne

Heard Frank give the wee guy a mild "serve" on the run home last night, referring to Milney's past record in finals and urging him to "give the yapping a rest and concentrate on football".
Its true that Milney has a motormouth....but then he always has. The guy also has courage in bucketloads, which could be seen at Subiaco in 2008 when he played on with that awful cheekbone injury.
I've a feeling that Francis did this to "balance" his (legitimate) rant on Malthouse in print, rather than to bag one of his own players.

St Kilda forever 🔴⚪️⚫️ ( God help me)
Verdun66
SS Hall of Fame

Love Milney. Great story on the Saints Big Footy site from Kildonan about him.

Steve Waugh called his type of sledging 'mental disintegration' Think Milney is more in the old fashioned 'subtle as a sledgehammer'.

No doubt when he fires we are a much better side.

Must be a pest in the dressing rooms though!!

thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

Loved the guy since first seeing him play alongside Barry Hall in 2001.
I always referred to him as: "mr. excitement" for his unpredictable play!
Him and Hall could have been quite a team :lol: and a few opposition defenders would have been seeing the shrink after playing on THAT combination :lol:
I remember one incident in an Essendon game where Yapper must have been "giving out the verbals" and one of the Bombers defence gave the wee man a belt...Hally came over and flattened him, then tousled Milneys hair like an older brother! (baz showing his S.N.A.G credentials? :roll: )

St Kilda forever 🔴⚪️⚫️ ( God help me)
saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

read a quote somewhere yesterday saying Stephen could have a discussion in an emptty room " or words similiar :)

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
Moccha
Saintsational Legend

who's Francis Leach and what credentials does this person have?

Another opportunity awaits!
bergholt
Saintsational Legend

Moccha wrote:who's Francis Leach and what credentials does this person have?
he watches football therefore he's entitled to have an opinion.

Joffa 5
Club Player

Passionate saints man too

Saintsfan
Club Player

Re: Francis Leach: On Stephen Milne

thejiggingsaint wrote:Heard Frank give the wee guy a mild "serve" on the run home last night, referring to Milney's past record in finals and urging him to "give the yapping a rest and concentrate on football".
Its true that Milney has a motormouth....but then he always has. The guy also has courage in bucketloads, which could be seen at Subiaco in 2008 when he played on with that awful cheekbone injury.
I've a feeling that Francis did this to "balance" his (legitimate) rant on Malthouse in print, rather than to bag one of his own players.
Milne should be bagged as he goes missing and has issues even kicking the football come finals time. Whether finals become less small forward orientated I'm not sure but if the last grand final was anything to go by surely not. All our small should have kicked goals and they would have contributed to most of the score.

In the end he yaps but is a bogan come good. I would hate to know where he would be without football however he has certainly done well out of it. Despite his yapping, who would actually take it seriously? The guy is dumb as dogshizen so anybody that would actually take his comments to heart is not exactly much better.

Do well in finals/a final to prove you are not a choker come finals time.

The issues here is that he has won countless games off his own boot during the regular season. He probably will win a few more before his time is out too. Nobody is asking him to win a match off his own boot, just get a kick and snag a few when it matters, the finals

The Saintsfan Cometh
samoht
Saintsational Legend
Location: https://www.amazon.com.au/Fugitive-Sold ... B00EO1GCNK

This is where I should have posted this .. (I posted this on the other Milne thread).

What Francis Leach should consider is ..

Milne along with most forward /smalls are well matched up and usually get overpowered by bigger and stronger quality opponents in finals.

The only smalls that seem to regularly succeed in finals are the ones that roam far and wide (i.e. don't play as permanent forwards) and are agile and strong like an Ablett or a Chapman (who weigh close to 90 kg) and can break through tackles.

It doesn't happen to Milne only - how did Brad Johnson (who we can't really call a small) go against a taller and equally strong and quick opponent in Hudghton in big games ?
Same thing .. there's a good match up waiting for Milne in the next final too - as good as Milne is that's the reality and it's not Milne's fault.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Francis is wrong on this.

Footballers/athletes (and indeed everyone) have different personality styles.

While Yapper needs to ensure he does not go over the top, "yapping" is part of who he is.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
aussierules0k
Saintsational Legend

Last edited by aussierules0k on Wed 20 Oct 2010 3:47am, edited 1 time in total.

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

I know we are all Saints fans and will support Milney, but remember he was fined by the AFL for homophobic comments and was part of the whole qtr time abuse.

We all KNOW that Malthouse and Licuria were the ones that came out of it looking like fools and had to apologise, but lets not be blinded.

AFAIAC it was $3k we spent by Milne. Absolutely has destroyed Collingwood on field, and has wrecked Malthouses reputation.

Absolute PWNAGE by Milne of the CFC, but he should cool it when it comes to coaches.

Hope he keeps giving to players though.

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
aussiejones
Club Player

It beats me why Mick was so upset ...he is old , perhaps it was the c word.

Arnt these guys a little sensitive ? I am sure Mick has heard it all before .

And why did he lie to Eddy..... Eddy wouldly be too pleased beig made look a goose .

Wonder what Ross will say to Milney this week?

Thinline
Saintsational Legend

Saintsfan wrote:
thejiggingsaint wrote:Heard Frank give the wee guy a mild "serve" on the run home last night, referring to Milney's past record in finals and urging him to "give the yapping a rest and concentrate on football".
Milne should be bagged as he goes missing and has issues even kicking the football come finals time. Whether finals become less small forward orientated I'm not sure but if the last grand final was anything to go by surely not. All our small should have kicked goals and they would have contributed to most of the score.

In the end he yaps but is a bogan come good. I would hate to know where he would be without football however he has certainly done well out of it. Despite his yapping, who would actually take it seriously? The guy is dumb as dogshizen so anybody that would actually take his comments to heart is not exactly much better.

The issues here is that he has won countless games off his own boot during the regular season. He probably will win a few more before his time is out too. Nobody is asking him to win a match off his own boot, just get a kick and snag a few when it matters, the finals
So that's Milne and Raph shot down in one day.

Who's next on your hit list?

"The inches we need are everywhere around us. They're in every break in the game. Every minute, every second. On this team we fight for that inch. On this team we tear ourselves and everyone around us to pieces for that inch. We claw with our fingernails for that inch. Because we know when we add up all those inches that's gonna make the f***in' difference between winning and losing! Between living and dying!'
Saintsfan
Club Player

Thinline wrote:
Saintsfan wrote:

I am part of the select few that can easily see the deficiencies in our squad and am happy to point them out.

I do not live in a deluded world whereby turning Reiwoldt's injury into a positive is plausible.

How are you going to turn Reiwoldt's injury into a positive next?

The Saintsfan Cometh
aussierules0k
Saintsational Legend

Last edited by aussierules0k on Wed 20 Oct 2010 3:47am, edited 1 time in total.

Thinline
Saintsational Legend

Saintsfan wrote:
Thinline wrote:
Saintsfan wrote:

I am part of the select few that can easily see the deficiencies in our squad and am happy to point them out.

I do not live in a deluded world whereby turning Reiwoldt's injury into a positive is plausible.

Settle down, hot shot.

Is that what you think I've been doing?

The job you have set me is clearly impossible. Roo is irreplaceable.

But the prospect of wallowing in Riewoldt-less Saintdom is far less of interest to me than watching how we overcome his absence without predicting some kind of hopelessness for the task at hand.

For your own sake I'm so glad you don't support Richmond. If you did you wouldn't like anybody.

"The inches we need are everywhere around us. They're in every break in the game. Every minute, every second. On this team we fight for that inch. On this team we tear ourselves and everyone around us to pieces for that inch. We claw with our fingernails for that inch. Because we know when we add up all those inches that's gonna make the f***in' difference between winning and losing! Between living and dying!'
evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

Pretty immature all round, to be honest.

Clueless and mediocre petty tyrant.

Saintsfan
Club Player

Thinline wrote:
Saintsfan wrote:
Thinline wrote:
Saintsfan wrote:

Settle down, hot shot.

Is that what you think I've been doing?

The job you have set me is clearly impossible. Roo is irreplaceable.

But the prospect of wallowing in Riewoldt-less Saintdom is far less of interest to me than watching how we overcome his absence without predicting some kind of hopelessness for the task at hand.

For your own sake I'm so glad you don't support Richmond. If you did you wouldn't like anybody.
You need to settle down and see that we are not going to cover Reiwoldt just because we are 'tough'

Thank you for your concern re Richmond. I too am glad I was not born a Tiger.

Settle down and do not take a pot shot at me regarding Raph and Milne and expect nothing in return sunshine.

The Saintsfan Cometh
Thinline
Saintsational Legend

Yeah yeah righto - concede I went in a bit hard with the 'hard me, soft you' stuff. Just had a gutful of all the misery and moaning. Apols for that. Nevertheless, I remain uncommonly tough. Just am.

Saintsfan
Club Player

Thinline wrote:Yeah yeah righto - concede I went in a bit hard with the 'hard me, soft you' stuff. Just had a gutful of all the misery and moaning. Apols for that. Nevertheless, I remain uncommonly tough. Just am.
It's all good in the hood

The Saintsfan Cometh
Moods
Saintsational Legend

I'll start by saying I love Milney. My 10 yr old daughter loves him too and claims that he is cut - which makes me shudder to think of the quality of boys being brought home in 5yrs or so time :lol:

I am however frustrated at the moment by Milney's kicking. His ability to find the footy and put himself in dangerous spots is fantastic but I have NO confidence in him when he lines up for goal. He seems to always try and kick around corners with set shots, and the ball never seems to come off his boot correctly. Even the goals that go through rarely spin right. He used to be a beauty kicking for goals - just wish he could get this aspect of his game right.

Not sure of the order of how the exchange took place, but I would imagine that Milney would only say something to an opposition coach in response to something. Not because I think he's a choir boy or anything, but it just seems more logical and likely that this is what happened. MM would have heard the sledging b/w players and decided to involve himself. Milney called him 'old' as a response and Mick then called him rapist.

Either way he's ours and we love him. Will play 200 games soon I think which is a great effort from a bloke who has been much maligned and always seems to be playing to save his spot every other week.

stinger
Saintsational Legend

milny is the my missus' favorite st kilda footballer......she just loves watching him kick goals

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
stinger
Saintsational Legend

aussierules0k wrote:Some posters should be bagged for bagging our Milne, they appear to have issues understanding Milnes brilliance and the important role he plays in our team.

Milne...my favorite player and THE player who puts bums on seats - every week.

Milne is a LEGEND.... always will be.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stephen_Milne

Milne is the fifth highest goalkicker of all time with St Kilda, after twice kicking more than 50 goals in the past four seasons.[citation needed] In the final round of the 2005 season, against the Brisbane Lions, he had 15 kicks and kicked 11 straight goals in the Saints' 139-point win.[citation needed]

Milne played in St Kilda’s 2008 NAB Cup winning side, the club's third pre-season cup win.[2][3]

In 2008, during a game against Fremantle at Subiaco, he kicked three goals after a head clash. He was driven back from Perth with St Kilda medical staff to avoid the risk of further damage and arrived in Melbourne on the Thursday following the game. Despite this he was named to play in the game on the following Sunday which was Robert Harvey's tribute game against Adelaide. He kicked two goals in a 20 possession game.[citation needed]

Milne played in 20 of 22 matches in the 2009 home and away rounds in which St Kilda qualified in first position for the finals, winning the club’s third minor premiership.[4]

glad to see you back posting mate...

oh..... for the record

malthouse is

1...old

2...grey haired..

3...his behaviour proved that the noun was correct too.........

:wink: :wink: :wink: :lol: :lol:

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
milney044
Club Player

Moods wrote:I'll start by saying I love Milney. My 10 yr old daughter loves him too and claims that he is cut - which makes me shudder to think of the quality of boys being brought home in 5yrs or so time :lol:

I am however frustrated at the moment by Milney's kicking. His ability to find the footy and put himself in dangerous spots is fantastic but I have NO confidence in him when he lines up for goal. He seems to always try and kick around corners with set shots, and the ball never seems to come off his boot correctly. Even the goals that go through rarely spin right. He used to be a beauty kicking for goals - just wish he could get this aspect of his game right.

Not sure of the order of how the exchange took place, but I would imagine that Milney would only say something to an opposition coach in response to something. Not because I think he's a choir boy or anything, but it just seems more logical and likely that this is what happened. MM would have heard the sledging b/w players and decided to involve himself. Milney called him 'old' as a response and Mick then called him rapist.

Either way he's ours and we love him. Will play 200 games soon I think which is a great effort from a bloke who has been much maligned and always seems to be playing to save his spot every other week.
I agree with your point on the kicking - i noticed his disposal around the grounds too last year from when he returned from his knee injury. Last year i thought it might have been due to his knee but i would have thought he would have recovered by now.. I hope he gets it right 'cause he's certainly finding the footy, just his disposal by foot has been letting him down a little lately.
He still excites me when he gets it though, those first couple of goals against Nth were vintage Milney!

Destiny. It's in our hands.

Harder. Better. Faster. Stronger.