laughable umpiring

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

I Love Peter Kiel
Club Player

laughable umpiring

Rodan got a shot for goal for being tackled 'too high' when the replay clearly showed that he was tackled around the elbows and was throwing his head around staging for a ridiculous free kick, which he duly got!

Also, late in the game, a Port player clearly handballed it straight through the goals. Shouldn't that have been a free kick to us at the top of the goal square?

In honour of those who went before, in the dark and desperate years.
Lenny_Hayes7
Club Player

RE: the handball thru the goals.. Why bring in rules and not use them!! Drives me crazy!! same as the "staging" thing!!

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Re: laughable umpiring

I Love Peter Kiel wrote:Rodan got a shot for goal for being tackled 'too high' when the replay clearly showed that he was tackled around the elbows and was throwing his head around staging for a ridiculous free kick, which he duly got!

Also, late in the game, a Port player clearly handballed it straight through the goals. Shouldn't that have been a free kick to us at the top of the goal square?
Think Rodan's head jerk, and the other guy that fell over when Armo layed his hand on his chest will be looked at this week for sure...

saintDal
Club Player

Of the last three games this game was one where I thought the umpiring wasn't that bad. Port played well and Rodan was everywhere. They were the better team.

kalsaint
Club Player

saintDal wrote:Of the last three games this game was one where I thought the umpiring wasn't that bad. Port played well and Rodan was everywhere. They were the better team.
Yep there were some calls for both sides missed but the game was not lost from that.

You shouldnt expect umpire favours when the midfield bombs the ball forward like they did today. We just didnt match Port's run over 4 quarters to create enough opportunity.

Midfield clearances and clear winners are needed to make an effective forward line.

You need to protect the ball handler to increase posession efficiency
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Surely we have better things to do than blame this loss on umpiring. Thought they did very well unlike a few of our players.

SydneySainter
SS Hall of Fame

Doesn't change the fact that our team was woeful.

Until we have an administration that demands success and a playing group that bleeds for the guernsey, St. Kilda will just be a sh*tty football club.
Furphy
Club Player

Were there not rules recently introduced to penalize "stagers"?
Port were blatantly (and badly) staging for frees and 50's all nite without even a caution!

Cro
Club Player

There was a clear lack of consistency with the 15 metre rule for marks. Notably the Schultz goal and Cornes mark over Kozi in the last.

Carr should have been pinged for deliberate.

But whatever, we were poor and winning when playing that badly would not benefit us.

AnythingsPossibleSaints
SS Life Member

Cro wrote:There was a clear lack of consistency with the 15 metre rule for marks. Notably the Schultz goal and Cornes mark over Kozi in the last
And Rodan's mark earlier on. About 3 of ours that had recently just been called "play on" went further than the one that was paid to Rodan. He also got a goal from that one.
21 free kicks to 13 says a lot and that doesn't even include the inconsistent 15m mark calls.

YOU GET WHAT YOU SETTLE FOR.
mullet
Saintsational Legend

Lenny_Hayes7 wrote:RE: the handball thru the goals.. Why bring in rules and not use them!! Drives me crazy!! same as the "staging" thing!!
I dont think that staging results in a free to the other team, just a fine to the stager. So probably a dumb rule as you can stage, get a free, kick the winning goal, get the four points, but it may cost you $5000.

That is my understanding of the rule

Cro
Club Player

mullet wrote:
Lenny_Hayes7 wrote:RE: the handball thru the goals.. Why bring in rules and not use them!! Drives me crazy!! same as the "staging" thing!!
I dont think that staging results in a free to the other team, just a fine to the stager. So probably a dumb rule as you can stage, get a free, kick the winning goal, get the four points, but it may cost you $5000.

That is my understanding of the rule
$900*