Kosi vs Lake

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Kosi vs Lake

Given Lake's strengths IMO Kosi should be played at CHF and not FF.

Playing Kosi at FF plays to Lake's strenghts, and Kosi may too easy fall into a body on body contest which he will most likely lose.

Against Lake Kosi needs to stay in space and on the move.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Re: Kosi vs Lake

saintsRrising wrote:Given Lake's strengths IMO Kosi should be played at CHF and not FF.

Playing Kosi at FF plays to Lake's strenghts, and Kosi may too easy fall into a body on body contest which he will most likely lose.

I think i would rather Kosi have an off night than BJ if he was to play FF.

St Loxton
Club Player

Agree SrR, have Kosi move around CHF and present up to the wing allowing plenty of space behind him for another marking target ( possibly Stanley or Goddard ) and our small Fwds and run on players to create opportunities. Hope his big mits grab everything Friday night and he stays on his feet more often to maintain the pressure and keep the ball down our end.

Hunter Clark 2024 StKilda Saints Premiership captain.
Moods
Saintsational Legend

Just needs to make sure the ball is brought to ground. Also he can lead up similar to what he did to Scarlett last year in Rd 14. Lake can be damaging on the rebound which is Kosi's big weakness. Just couldn't see Kos playing anything like a full game at CHF - he would blow up after 20 minutes!

stinger
Saintsational Legend

need another tall forward to take some of the heat off kosi....

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

stinger wrote:need another tall forward to take some of the heat off kosi....
That is my view too.

We need 2 marking targets and not just one.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
The Craw
Club Player

Posted this in another thread but realised I should have posted here....

I would like to see Kosi FF and ruck in sperts. Lake is a run off player and likes to venture up forward.

Plant BJ CHF and pick up Lake as he runs off the hopefully expose on the rebound.

I don't think there is anyone in the Bulldogs backline that could match up with with kosi one on one besides Lake which would be a bonus for the Saints.

Not Craw, CRAW!
Leo.J
SS Life Member

Lake had a reasonably heavy taped knee on friday night, and he looked a little proppy at times...

Not sure if it will hamper him this week, handy if it does.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

What about bringing in McEvoy to rotate in the ruck with King, play Kosi at CHF and Gardiner at FF?

Saintsfan
Club Player

Re: Kosi vs Lake

plugger66 wrote:
saintsRrising wrote:Given Lake's strengths IMO Kosi should be played at CHF and not FF.

I think i would rather Kosi have an off night than BJ if he was to play FF.
Lake is over-rated however him playing on Kosi and paying him attention is better than Lake going to say Gwilt/Milne (somehow) or another makeshift forward and paying no respect

He will run off whoever he plays on, this is perceived strength however it is a major weakness of Brian Lake and in my opinion makes him over-rated as hell.

It is up to Kosi to make the most of his chances when he is presented with them. Lake has great closing speed however he again is over-rated in spoiling one on one or in major contested traffic....closing speed does not count for much in a pack of 8 with kosi coming over the top

That aside, Morris (despite media perceptions) is an average defender who does not hurt on the rebound and Gilbee plays like he has never had a direct opponent in his career.

I believe that the dogs are over-rated big time, it begins in their backline, with or without Riewoldt they are beatable and convincingly

The Saintsfan Cometh
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:What about bringing in McEvoy to rotate in the ruck with King, play Kosi at CHF and Gardiner at FF?
and watch the ball zing out of our fwd 50 with that treacleline up.

IF any tall comes in to maintain some pressure/pace Stanley has to be the one.

“Yeah….nah””
Solar
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote:
SainterK wrote:What about bringing in McEvoy to rotate in the ruck with King, play Kosi at CHF and Gardiner at FF?

agree teflon

seems to ways to go about this. Develop a forward line which include the likes of stanley, heyne and lynch when fit or play a defender each week there and hope we can kick goals with our smalls and mids

FQF
loyal in the good times and bad
In richo I trust

2013 trade/draft best ever?
Billings - future brownlow medallist Longer - future best ruck
Dunstan - future captain Eli - future cult hero
Acres - future norm smith
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote:

I'm thinking that's a no then?

Milan Faletic
Saintsational Legend

I reckon Steven will come in for McQualter.

I am a fan of McQualter but he has not been scoring goals.

Time to give Steven a go.

Kosi has to perform this week or else.

I would like to see McEvoy come in for King.

Saintsfan
Club Player

So what hasn't Mcq done this year that he did last?

To me it is exactly the same and he is a scape-goat despite putting in good performances. He is not a scape-goat like Raph or Zac, Mcq is a genuinely good player.

[/quote]

The Saintsfan Cometh
gringo
Saintsational Legend

Anyone that has seen Lake play against a power forward and towel them up would know he is not over rated just suited to particular types. He is strong and mobile and really suits the big strong J. Brown types. Kosi would not win a marking contest with him if they are side by side, he needs to just work his a%$# off and really keep Lake moving. Lake is not so good on the athletic forwards and it puts him off his game. A Stanley type might be a good match up on the dogs but I doubt he is in the mix yet.

By the way did anyone see Tom Walsh pic in todays Herald sun? Far out what a unit - i'd love to see him smash a few packs next year. Another year on the weights and he'll look like the hulk.

TazzieSaintGirl83
Club Player

gringo wrote:
By the way did anyone see Tom Walsh pic in todays Herald sun? Far out what a unit - i'd love to see him smash a few packs next year. Another year on the weights and he'll look like the hulk.
I saw that pic too, had to do a double take when I realised who it was. Looks like he will be one strong player

100% Sainter Girl Through and Through
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Saintsfan wrote:So what hasn't Mcq done this year that he did last?

To me it is exactly the same and he is a scape-goat despite putting in good performances. He is not a scape-goat like Raph or Zac, Mcq is a genuinely good player.
[/quote]

He is not averaging a goal a game like he did last year, which is an important detail as a small forward. I like him as well, but he has lost his confidence in front of goal...

Saintsfan
Club Player

SainterK wrote:

He is not averaging a goal a game like he did last year, which is an important detail as a small forward. I like him as well, but he has lost his confidence in front of goal...[/quote]

So he has not scored 5 goals this year and should be dropped? Come on you can do better than that

The Saintsfan Cometh
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Saintsfan wrote:
SainterK wrote:

He is not averaging a goal a game like he did last year, which is an important detail as a small forward. I like him as well, but he has lost his confidence in front of goal...
So he has not scored 5 goals this year and should be dropped? Come on you can do better than that[/quote]

He has only scored 2 goals this year, is that enough?

(I should also point out that it very well could be enough, I am just asking the question)

matrix
Saintsational Legend

stanley!

suss
Club Player

matrix wrote:stanley!
You might be right - Stanley to replace King has merit. Kosi could go into ruck a bit more which might take some pressue of him. It would also give us more flexibility with big-man rotations with Gardi, Kosi and Stanley all capable of going forward or rucking.

Stanley also gives us forward pressue which would be a problem for Lake given that he normally plays on power forwards who aren't the best chasers in the game.

Gram and Ray still have to come in - Mini is vulnerable, maybe also Eddy.

We could see one of the more interesting teams selected for a while.

matrix
Saintsational Legend

i just think he is pretty versatile
we all know he is a forward and a chance in the ruck (maybe a second ruckman) but with that pace and good hands he could rotate thru half back, half forward....?? (if needed)

with that view i reckon he could swap with grammy off the back flanks or be that third forward on/in the 50.

he might add us more possibilities around the ground with rotations as well as just playing him forward.

dunno....
hopefully :)

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

matrix wrote:i just think he is pretty versatile
we all know he is a forward and a chance in the ruck (maybe a second ruckman) but with that pace and good hands he could rotate thru half back, half forward....?? (if needed)

with that view i reckon he could swap with grammy off the back flanks or be that third forward on/in the 50.

he might add us more possibilities around the ground with rotations as well as just playing him forward.

dunno....
hopefully :)
Who are you talking about. Hopefully not Stanley because he definately couldnt play anything like Grams role off half back and we are never going to play a third tall. A marking option like Hamill maybe but no third tall. it just doesnt work in todays footy.

The Craw
Club Player

gringo wrote:Kosi would not win a marking contest with him if they are side by side...
I tend to disagree. Kosi is a great contested mark on one on one with Lake would towel him up. Where Lake has an advantage is his speed, to run off and create an extra link man going forward.

Not Craw, CRAW!