Suprisingly good article on Milney by Luke Darcy

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Calais
Club Player

Suprisingly good article on Milney by Luke Darcy

IS THERE anyone as unique as Stephen Milne in AFL football? It's hard to compare him to anyone else in the game, past or present.

I don't think there are many characters in the game who could carry a nickname like Tip Rat with any sort of pride. But I strongly suspect that Stephen Mine is very comfortable with it.

Stephen Milne grew up in the back streets of Noble Park. His journey from the outer suburbs to the St Kilda forward line has been, like most things in his life, unconventional.

Complete article here - http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/ ... fault.aspx

Sainterman
Club Player

Nice one! Glad to see him get some credit!

I think he kicked his 11 against the Lions and not the Bombers though...Luke should get these things right!

VietNam_Saint
Club Player

Well written Darce.

Interesting to read about how GT tried to calm him.

He's right though ,, there's only one Tiprat.

What will be next from this club ?
gringo
Saintsational Legend

I kick the footy with some kids at my kids school and there are a few Saints supporters among them. One of them has learnt from watching Milne how to kick bananas and rolling scrubbers that seem to bend unnaturally but the greatest contribution Milney's made to his game is his lip. He can trash talk anyone any size.

The way they call Milney every time they do something freakish reminds me of all the collingwood kids who would call Daicos every time they kicked a freak goal. Guys like Milne do the unexpected so make football entertaining in an era when it has become fairly sterile.

Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

I travelled through Ireland with Milney on an International Rules trip in 2002. He was a bit like a kid who had overdosed on red cordial: a little too excitable, even a little annoying, but genuinely great to be around. It was impossible not to like him.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Curb your enthusiasm - you’re a St.Kilda supporter!!
Stephen Theodore
SS Hall of Fame

I unashamedly love the Milne Dog, more so because he annoys the absolute sh*t out of opposition supporters.

IMO he's long been an underated player. Great to see him get some recogniotion at last from the media.

Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

Stephen Theodore wrote:I unashamedly love the Milne Dog, more so because he annoys the absolute sh*t out of opposition supporters.
would it be fair to say that he is perhaps the most hated player in the competition?

but who gives a tip rat's arse what they think! gotta love the onfield antics of #44... well, for the most part haha...

Calais
Club Player

^ haha I know exactly what you mean. I'm still at school and whenever we're all having a ping at the goals and someone scores something miraculously the first thing that pops into everyone's mind is Milney!! :D

bozza1980
Club Player

I'm not happy about this article as I have almost always disagreed with Luke Darcy, I either have to change my opinion on Milney or on Darcy.

I don't wan't to do either.

Life is very short and there's no time for fussing and fighting my friends.
Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

bozza1980 wrote:I'm not happy about this article as I have almost always disagreed with Luke Darcy, I either have to change my opinion on Milney or on Darcy.
definitely concur with you on darcy. i read the article and my opinion hasn't changed. he's still a massive douche, imo.

White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

One of the most under rated players of all time. His record speaks for itself. Few can, or have,matched it.

I started with nothing and I've got most of it left!
esaint66
SS Life Member

The tagline made me think he was having a dig at him, but like the OP states suprisingly good article.