WB 18 frees to STK 8

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Milan Faletic
Saintsational Legend

WB 18 frees to STK 8

2 free kicks per quarter.

Any comments?

degruch
Saintsational Legend

Re: WB 18 frees to STK 8

Milan Faletic wrote:2 free kicks per quarter.

Any comments?
They were probably there.

mullet
Saintsational Legend

Re: WB 18 frees to STK 8

degruch wrote:
Milan Faletic wrote:2 free kicks per quarter.

Any comments?
They were probably there.
Hmm at half time it was 7-6

meher baba
Saintsational Legend

The Dogs deserved almost all of their kicks, and a few more that were missed. But it seemed that the holding the ball and in the back rules only applied to St Kilda.

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."
- Jonathan Swift
OneEyedSainter77
SS Life Member

Umpiring wasn't bad tonight. Couple of soft ones, couple of shockers but mostly they let it go. We gave away a lot of indisciplined ones though.

Had we lost that it would have been because of the players. Geez, they were exhausted, how they managed to outrun the bulldogs in the end is beyond me.

Joffa 5
Club Player

OneEyedSainter77 wrote:Umpiring wasn't bad tonight.
I reckon number 44 might disagree with you :wink:

degruch
Saintsational Legend

So far, from what I've seen, the umpiring doesn't seem too bad, with the exception of the shocking treatment of Milne and Schnieder...the club almost needs to have a word (preferrably through sympathetic media channels). Commetti's comment re: clapping Schnieder is very telling, seems everyone knows he's a marked man, which needs to be corrected.

saintbob
SS Life Member

Can anyone dig up what the offical for and against figures are for the year so far, as I believe we would be a long way behind.

wraiyth
Club Player

Umpiring was very inconsistent tonight. I don't mind seeing tiggy-touch free kicks paid providing the umpires are consistent in the way they pay them. Tonight they absolutely were not.

wraiyth
Club Player

saintbob wrote:Can anyone dig up what the offical for and against figures are for the year so far, as I believe we would be a long way behind.
Saints average 15.7 Frees For - 15th in the comp ahead of only Adelaide (14 per game). We average 22.6 frees against - the highest in the comp
EDIT: For comparison, the Doggies are 19.2 for, 16.8 against.

Armoooo
Saintsational Legend

Ignoring the obvious frees that are never paid to Milne and Schneider (Which I've stopped even expecting frees for) the umpiring was very good IMHO...
But seriously, what does Schneider have to do to get back in their good books?

ROBERT HARVEY A.K.A The Great Man, Banger, Harves, Ol' Man River...
384 games, 4 B&F's, 3 EJ Whitten Medals, St.Kilda Captain, 2 Time Brownlow Medalist, 8 Time All Australian, 2nd Highest Brownlow votes poller.... The greatest of ALL TIME!!
CURLY
Saintsational Legend

Barry Hall one free kick for the year and it was tonight. :lol:

NO IFS OR BUTS HARVS IS KING OF THE AFL
Solar
Saintsational Legend

worst part of the umpring came when milne handpassed it out and was tackled. No free. within 5 seconds gia gets tackled, he drops the ball and gets holding the man. Was in a very important part of the game and could cost games.

All we ask for is for them to pay them to both sides. Right now we are consistantly not being rewarded for our tackles or hard ball gets

FQF
loyal in the good times and bad
In richo I trust

2013 trade/draft best ever?
Billings - future brownlow medallist Longer - future best ruck
Dunstan - future captain Eli - future cult hero
Acres - future norm smith
wraiyth
Club Player

Armoooo wrote:Ignoring the obvious frees that are never paid to Milne and Schneider (Which I've stopped even expecting frees for) the umpiring was very good IMHO...
But seriously, what does Schneider have to do to get back in their good books?
Sleep with Jeff Geischen
worst part of the umpring came when milne handpassed it out and was tackled. No free. within 5 seconds gia gets tackled, he drops the ball and gets holding the man. Was in a very important part of the game and could cost games.
That was the incident that came to mind when I was talking about the lack of consistency

bigred
Saintsational Legend

Solar wrote:worst part of the umpring came when milne handpassed it out and was tackled. No free. within 5 seconds gia gets tackled, he drops the ball and gets holding the man. Was in a very important part of the game and could cost games.

All we ask for is for them to pay them to both sides. Right now we are consistantly not being rewarded for our tackles or hard ball gets
This.

100%

jonesy
Saintsational Legend

wraiyth wrote:
saintbob wrote:Can anyone dig up what the offical for and against figures are for the year so far, as I believe we would be a long way behind.
Saints average 15.7 Frees For - 15th in the comp ahead of only Adelaide (14 per game). We average 22.6 frees against - the highest in the comp
EDIT: For comparison, the Doggies are 19.2 for, 16.8 against.
Thanks for the stat. An inconvienent one to those muppets who say we get looked after

Bring back the Lockett era
mullet
Saintsational Legend

Yeah but at least they put the whistle away for the last 5 minutes. I thought the umpiring wasnt too bad and perhaps we can open a book on what game milney and schneids will get a free kick

SaintTom
Club Player

Joffa 5 wrote:

I'll be honest, the umpiring was fine tonight. I was filthy after the collingwood game, and it wasn't ideal against Freo, but although we had less than half the free kicks they had, there weren't any absolute shocking decisions that stand out. Also, I wouldn't give Milne frees if I were the umps, you can sometimes barely tell if he's faking. Kosi's free that he got his goal from wouldn't have been given if it was Milne, and frankly, if I was umpiring I would probably have thought it was a fake too.

And before we bag the umpiring, remember they reversed a very, very crucial free kick/50 that put the dogs within scoring distance. Would have been veeery easy for them to just ignore it and I doubt anyone would have questioned them when reviewing the game. I knew that Baz could still benefit the Saints when he was wearing other colours!

wraiyth
Club Player

mullet wrote:Yeah but at least they put the whistle away for the last 5 minutes. I thought the umpiring wasnt too bad and perhaps we can open a book on what game milney and schneids will get a free kick
This year Milne has had gotten 3 frees and given away 11. Schneider is 2-5.

EDIT: If umpires genuinely believe Milne is faking then perhaps they should look at fining him. The AFL game out all guns blazing against staging for a free kick and so far they haven't made an example of anyone. If they're serious about stamping that out, they need to actually act rather than just talk about it. If not, then pay frees when they're there.
Last edited by wraiyth on Sat 01 May 2010 12:48am, edited 1 time in total.

OneEyedSainter77
SS Life Member

Joffa 5 wrote:
yeah, that was one of the shockers I was referring to....

Milne and Schneider are rpetty hard done by but i suppose a lot of players will get rid of the ball and then try and claim a holding the man free kick. It just s***s me when they give it to the opposition ten seconds later!!!

Face
Club Player

The vast majority of football supporters get frustrated because they judge decisions based on what they think the rules are rather than what they actually are.

I know because I'm one of them.

Apparantly if you don't have what is deemed as prior opportunity, you don't have to legally dispose of the ball.

Having said that, I'm still trying to work out which rule meant Barry Hall wasn't pinged in the opening the minutes when run down from behind. If someone can give me clarity on that it might explain the dozens of other decisions that left me frustrated.

saintbob
SS Life Member

Joffa 5 wrote:
The "Tip Rat" is not my favourite player, but F@#K even I felt sorry for the poor bastard tonight.

st.byron
Saintsational Legend

saintbob wrote:
Joffa 5 wrote:
The "Tip Rat" is not my favourite player, but F@#K even I felt sorry for the poor bastard tonight.
The tiprat is my favourite player and I never feel sorry for him. I just love him. In a manly kind of way :D

ace
Saintsational Legend

Troy Pannell must be furious with his team mates.
If only they had provided him some more help with one sided decisions he could have had two corrupt victories over St Kilda in a row.

18 to 8, how dare his team mates pay 8 frees to St Kilda and why couldn't they have added to those 18 frees to the mongrels.

St Kilda was just a little to good for you tonight Troy.
Why don't you go drown yourself in a beer vat Troy.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.

If you are not engaging AI actively and aggressively, you are doing it wrong.
You are not going to lose your job to AI.
You are going lose your job to somebody who uses AI.
Your company is not going to go out of business because of AI.
Your company is going to go out of business because another company used AI.
- Jensen Huang, CEO of NVIDIA
ozrulestrace
SS Hall of Fame

Who was umpire 21?

A lot of jumper pulling and holding the ball decisions seemed to be missed down his end