Forwardline much better, Backline terrible

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Moorabbin Saints
Club Player

Forwardline much better, Backline terrible

I thought today in comparison to the last few weeks we hit a hell of a lot more targets inside 50. Not great, but good enough to win us games. Kicking for goal is a pretty big problem mind you. Fisher did a good job but if he could kick for goal it might help.

What is up with conceding so much and so easily against crapola teams in Carlton and Essendon? I know Fish wasn't down there but we just seem to be leaking goals. We should barely be conceding 60 let along 93 points against Essendon! First Waite and now Hille kills us.

I'm left searching for answers. I'm baffled at the fact that we have just switched off, I thought we would rally and fight harder than what we are. We don't look half as desperate as we did last year. Somethings got to click eventually... I hope. :?:

'Because we've got unfinished business'
....................Official Saintsational Banner Designer....................
Saint Bev
SS Life Member

The reason why our backline isn't as good as usual is that its busy filling gaps on the forward line. Our goal kicking is beyond shocking and quite frankly has been for a while.

Qld Saints Supporter Group
battye
Saintsational Legend

Saint Bev wrote:The reason why our backline isn't as good as usual is that its busy filling gaps on the forward line. Our goal kicking is beyond shocking and quite frankly has been for a while.
Well put.

Feature article: KFC's "Double Down" burger!

TV Ratings: Hey Hey It's Saturday ratings overview

Do you know what C# is? .NET? Then you need to know this: XSD
Statsman
Club Player

Saint Bev wrote:Our goal kicking is beyond shocking and quite frankly has been for a while.
15.11 would have won the game. Sadly, we kicked 11.15 and lost. Had a few chances inside 50 from set shots in the last quarter and missed repeatedly.

"Ask not what your teammates can do for you. Ask what you can do for your teammates." - Earvin 'Magic' Johnson
battye
Saintsational Legend

Statsman wrote:
Saint Bev wrote:Our goal kicking is beyond shocking and quite frankly has been for a while.
15.11 would have won the game. Sadly, we kicked 11.15 and lost. Had a few chances inside 50 from set shots in the last quarter and missed repeatedly.
Statsman, I might be thinking of the wrong person (this is off topic), but a few years ago were you in the coaches box recording stats for one match?

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

the forward line didn't perform. we had 11 more inside 50 entries than essendon and still couldn't kick a winning score.

put it down to poor kicking if you like, but remember that converting is a very important part of a forward's role.

saint66au
Saintsational Legend

battye wrote:
Statsman wrote:
Statsman, I might be thinking of the wrong person (this is off topic), but a few years ago were you in the coaches box recording stats for one match?
I think that was Moose :-)

Yep..our set shots for goal were atrocious. Kosi, Dal, Milne, Mini..just 4 VERY gettable shots that should have been nailed...meanwhile up the other end Monfries kills the game off with a huge bomb from outside 50

Early our defence was OK I thought. Gwilt was terrific in the 1st half and Zac did some good things in general play , however is still being murdered one out
However as the game went on Gwilt went quiet, Baker's use of the ball was just awful and Essendon went long to catch Dawon one-out against his opponent. Gilbert got a pile of the footy buit his disposal continues to worry me...a lot. He has about 15 mates there however.

THE BUBBLE HAS BURST

2011 player sponsor
battye
Saintsational Legend

saint66au wrote:
battye wrote:
Statsman wrote:
I think that was Moose :-)

Yep..our set shots for goal were atrocious. Kosi, Dal, Milne, Mini..just 4 VERY gettable shots that should have been nailed...meanwhile up the other end Monfries kills the game off with a huge bomb from outside 50

Early our defence was OK I thought. Gwilt was terrific in the 1st half and Zac did some good things in general play , however is still being murdered one out
However as the game went on Gwilt went quiet, Baker's use of the ball was just awful and Essendon went long to catch Dawon one-out against his opponent. Gilbert got a pile of the footy buit his disposal continues to worry me...a lot. He has about 15 mates there however.
Ah :)

On that point, I'd like to see more of our guys take a shot from outside 50. Unless there is a genuine chance of a mark inside 50, having a crack will normally result in one of a few things:

1) a goal
2) a behind
3) doesn't make the distance and lands somewhere near the goal square
4) out on the full

To me, 2 of those options are good. If it lands in the goal square the pressure is on the defenders and with the likes of Milne and Schnadzo we're a good chance of a goal.

It's harder to tell based on the TV coverage I will admit. Yet it seems we always look for a marking option and kick short even if it's not there.

dcstkfc
Saintsational Legend

battye wrote:
Saint Bev wrote:The reason why our backline isn't as good as usual is that its busy filling gaps on the forward line. Our goal kicking is beyond shocking and quite frankly has been for a while.
Well put.
Yep.

STRENGTH THROUGH LOYALTY.

‎''I still get really excited, and I've got the '66 thing up on the wall in a frame … You look at it and think: one day, we want to achieve that.''- Arryn Siposs
Gabba
SS Hall of Fame

dcstkfc wrote:
battye wrote:
Well put.
Yep.
Also very hard to beat opponents one-on-one when the opposition run it down that quickly from a turnover on the other side of the ground... especially when the only people to pick it up when there is a spoil are the opposition midfielders who got it there in the first place.

dcstkfc
Saintsational Legend

Gabba wrote:
dcstkfc wrote:
battye wrote:
Well put.
Yep.
Also very hard to beat opponents one-on-one when the opposition run it down that quickly from a turnover on the other side of the ground... especially when the only people to pick it up when there is a spoil are the opposition midfielders who got it there in the first place.
Yep again.

‎''I still get really excited, and I've got the '66 thing up on the wall in a frame … You look at it and think: one day, we want to achieve that.''- Arryn Siposs
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Our forward pressure was better this week than against Carlton, but nowhere good enough.

Essendon's rebounds from our 50 killed us, and gave our defenders no chance.

Our defence is based on team defence, and that can't happen unless the ball is moved slowly into the opposition's forward line.

terry smith rules
SS Life Member

Inaccuracy killed us tonight

In the second quarter we had all the momentum , kicked 1.3 and one out of bounds in about 10 minutes, it was a chance to turn the screws. We blew it, misses from within 35 metres, inexcusable.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

terry smith rules wrote:Inaccuracy killed us tonight

In the second quarter we had all the momentum , kicked 1.3 and one out of bounds in about 10 minutes, it was a chance to turn the screws. We blew it, misses from within 35 metres, inexcusable.
good forwards kick straight. we need to find a potent one (ie who can get the ball and kick goals) immediately. goddard.

repta
Club Player

If we are using backmen in the forwardline, the highest priority at training should be goal kicking. I simply cannot believe professional footballers look so bad when they line up from a set shot. The run ups are awful, instead of kicking through the ball their heads come up, they bounce, skip, trip then stab at the ball... sorry I shouldnt bad backmen .... One day a team will learn that goal kicking is the key. It is the only key. So why do key forwards miss from 25m directly in front (kozi)

repta
Club Player

why isnt Del used forward moreoften. A few years ago he kicked 5 in a quarter. Rotate Goddard and Del through FF.

dcstkfc
Saintsational Legend

Re: Forwardline much better, Backline terrible

Moorabbin Saints wrote:I thought today in comparison to the last few weeks we hit a hell of a lot more targets inside 50. Not great, but good enough to win us games. Kicking for goal is a pretty big problem mind you. Fisher did a good job but if he could kick for goal it might help.

What is up with conceding so much and so easily against crapola teams in Carlton and Essendon? I know Fish wasn't down there but we just seem to be leaking goals. We should barely be conceding 60 let along 93 points against Essendon! First Waite and now Hille kills us.

I'm left searching for answers. I'm baffled at the fact that we have just switched off, I thought we would rally and fight harder than what we are. We don't look half as desperate as we did last year. Somethings got to click eventually... I hope. :?:
Kosi was better.
Fisher was solid.
Gardiner was great.
Smalls were nowhere to be seen.

matrix
Saintsational Legend

dcstkfc wrote:
battye wrote:
Well put.
Yep.
if i see this 'prop up the forward line with defender' stuff at subiaco next week ill seriously throw a hissy fit so bad even my cat will look at me funny and question my sanity

spert
Saintsational Legend

Ross..settle the backline and drop the out of form forwards. Goddard needs to return to the backline as does Gilbert and SFisher -and stay there. Zac has lost the plot and at worse, could be left at full forward as he couldn't be any less effective than Kosi. If we settle the backline, we can work on the rest.

fingers
Saintsational Legend

There are obviously people on this forum that know more than me so can someone explain why we wouldn't:

1. leave the back 6 alone - they are up there with the best
2. Leave the midfield alone minus Goddard
2. Goddard to CHF to replace Roo

At the moment neither the forward line or the backlline can settle as every 5 minutes there's someone new there.

At the start of the last 1/4 Goddard goes forward and all of a sudden we look dangerous with a serious marking option in there. Then he goes. Why?

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

fingers wrote:There are obviously people on this forum that know more than me so can someone explain why we wouldn't:

1. leave the back 6 alone - they are up there with the best
2. Leave the midfield alone minus Goddard
2. Goddard to CHF to replace Roo

At the moment neither the forward line or the backlline can settle as every 5 minutes there's someone new there.

At the start of the last 1/4 Goddard goes forward and all of a sudden we look dangerous with a serious marking option in there. Then he goes. Why?
We looked dangerous in the first part of the last quarter because MG dominated in the ruck. I think it was a bit of coincidence that BJ was up there at the time.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
We looked dangerous in the first part of the last quarter because MG dominated in the ruck. I think it was a bit of coincidence that BJ was up there at the time.
One of the ironies yesterday was that Gardi played one his best games for us yet.

Noticed in the second quarter when he went out of the ruck that it coincided with the Dons surging back into the game.

Also Gardi was almost the only player we had in the midfield that used the ball well against the Dons. Gardi passed well and kicked to he goals when they presented.

Gardiner was also one of the few players that know how to kick the ball to Kosi...ie make him leap mark over a pack and not on a long-lead (where he will mainly get spoilt).

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
Saint_Ash
Club Player
Location: Either work, home or the footy, maybe a pub somewhere

battye wrote:It's harder to tell based on the TV coverage I will admit. Yet it seems we always look for a marking option and kick short even if it's not there.
At one stage last night, we had the ball on the HFF about 55m out.

Gardy and Kossie in the goal square and McEvoy floating down about 20 meters out.

3 big talls capable of taking a mark all within 20 meters of goal but yet we still switched it back out to try and spot up the perfect kick.

I know it's the game plan and most of us can see what they are trying to do but sometimes you just have to let the big men go to work.

Moods
Saintsational Legend

Thought our fwd line was as much to blame as our backline for the loss. It was our mids that propped us up all night. We were winning most of the contested footy/clearances, were getting it in there enough, but the fwd line just does not function with any fluency. Kosi had numerous chances to take marks, but just couldn't hold them. I've read on here that the delivery to Kos was poor - I couldn't disagree more, and in fact would counter that this is the only way to deliver it to Kosi - high with a run up. He just needs to clunk a few which he started to do in the 2nd half. If Kos tries to take marks, which could and should be taken in his hands, on his chest next week I will explode. Defenders are getting a fist in way too easy. Milne and Schneider were terrible. In fact for mine they were close to our two worst players. Milne missed easy chances (by his standards) and gave away multiple 50m penalties which just releases the pressure from the opposition. Schneider looks like his confidence is shot. He was fumbling and second guessing himself. Big Macca was woeful whether up fwd or in the ruck and is currently a liability.

west57
Club Player

Re: Forwardline much better, Backline terrible

dcstkfc wrote: Kosi was better.
Fisher was solid.
Gardiner was great.
Smalls were nowhere to be seen.
Totally agree with this. We made some improvement on the Carlton game which was heartening to see, although we still obviously have a long way to go if we are seriously going to threaten the form teams at the moment.

The disappointing thing was that the small forwards were trying to do it all and ended up doing nothing. Their job is to pick up the crumbs, not to go for the marks and clog up Kosi's airspace.

And every time I see Milne pick up the ball not inside our forward 50, I get worried. What was he doing in our defensive 50 at one stage?? When the ball came to him, he panicked and handballed to a 50-50 when he had men clear on the opposite side of the ground. Same goes for Schnieder.