Good luck to Stanley but...

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

dcstkfc
Saintsational Legend

Good luck to Stanley but...

I hope people aren't expecting too much. There has been so much talk about him since the Grand Final Sprint, NAB Cup and then Roo's injury.

I will be happy with him having a dip and contesting hard, and showing his freakish athleticism a couple of times.

I'd expect his impact will match that of Heyne last week.

All those Facebookers who called for his inclusion after three possessions for Sandy are probably just setting themselves up for disappointment.

Stanley has showed signs of being a very good player, but don't expect him to be our saviour, or even to match Kosi.

STRENGTH THROUGH LOYALTY.

‎''I still get really excited, and I've got the '66 thing up on the wall in a frame … You look at it and think: one day, we want to achieve that.''- Arryn Siposs
saintdooley
Saintsational Legend

if he doesnt kick 6 goals + he should be delisted. :)

"Another storied win in Robert Harvey's career. They say he is the embodiment of their motto of strength through loyalty, and on the day he became just the tenth man to play 350 league games the saints reward him with a seemingly impossible victory."
Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

Re: Good luck to Stanley but...

dcstkfc wrote:I hope people aren't expecting too much. There has been so much talk about him since the Grand Final Sprint, NAB Cup and then Roo's injury.

I will be happy with him having a dip and contesting hard, and showing his freakish athleticism a couple of times.

All those Facebookers who called for his inclusion after three possessions for Sandy are probably just setting themselves up for disappointment.

Stanley has showed signs of being a very good player, but don't expect him to be our saviour, or even to match Kosi.
Exactly.

Let's hope this is just one small step on a wonderful journey for Rhys, the club and for us the supporters :D

Sam23
SS Life Member

Yeh no pressure on the guy but anything less than a Riewoldt esque performance would be a disappointment.

Goddard.
saintnick12
Club Player

Dr Spaceman wrote:
dcstkfc wrote:I hope people aren't expecting too much. There has been so much talk about him since the Grand Final Sprint, NAB Cup and then Roo's injury.

Exactly.

Let's hope this is just one small step on a wonderful journey for Rhys, the club and for us the supporters :D
I'm with you guys. Would like to see him trying hard, and to see some of his talent and potential. ( A nice contested mark, maybe even a goal. A flash of his well known pace, some forward pressure). People expecting him to be a matchwinner at this stage are kidding themselves. But he's certainly worth his chance, and I for one will be cheering extra hard for him come Sunday afternoon.
Lets hope his first game is a winning one :wink:

"At the end of the day, a coach and a fitness adviser doesn't make a good football team, they're not the only ones who got us to two Grand Finals." Lenny Hayes. 27/9/2011.
Calais
Club Player

-Make an option
-Take a tall defender
-Take a few marks
-Kick a goal

They're my expectations for Stanley this week. Nothing more nothing less :)

bigred
Saintsational Legend

First game of a long and successful career at St.Kilda.

He will be right.

I promise we wont eat him.

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

best of luck to the kid.

i saw him play forward for sandy a couple of weeks ago and he looked all at sea. however he reportedly rucked last week and did well.

so it wouldn't surprise me if he spends quite a bit of time in the ruck.

i was as guilty as anyone for hyping the kid pre-season but now i agree don't expect too much too soon.

Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

Rhys will be a gun, but it will be down the track.

Enjoy the buzz and play to the best of your ability.

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
QuestionOfAccuracy
Club Player

He's still very very raw, but this game should give him a taste of whats required at the top level!

Subi will provide him with plenty of space to use his athleticism. Good luck Rhys!

Milan Faletic
Saintsational Legend

Good post. I would like to see crumbers sitting around him. They are the guys not kicking enough goals apart from Milney. We need crumbing goals from Schneider and McQualter, as well as some long goals on the big ground from Dal, Joey, Peake, Fisher and BJ. Good luck to Rhys if he plays. He is a future gun.

Leo.J
SS Life Member

He needs to be a presence.

He needs to present, and to apply plenty of frontal pressure.

jonesy
Saintsational Legend

Best player since Lockett. We've waited a long time for this! Anything less than 14 contested marks and 6-7 goals will be an epic failure

Bring back the Lockett era
SaintTom
Club Player

Wait isn't he on the extended bench? Which he has been on when the team was named a few weeks in a row now? Am I missing somewhere that Ross Lyon said he was definitely going to play?

One Eyed Saint
Club Player

Why does good luck need be conditional?

I would have thought good luck by itself would be OK

Is everyone predisposed to lowering their expectations for Rhys?

The bloke might kick 4 or do absolutely nothing but I'd rather keep my expectations of Rhys open minded rather than lower them before he even crosses the white line.

If we can't be optimistic now with Rhys (and Heyne and Steven) when are we going to be?

I couldn't be more excited going into a H&A round in 2010 than I am right now.

Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

SaintTom wrote:Wait isn't he on the extended bench? Which he has been on when the team was named a few weeks in a row now? Am I missing somewhere that Ross Lyon said he was definitely going to play?
No. He's named at CHF.

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
SaintTom
Club Player

Bernard Shakey wrote:
SaintTom wrote:Wait isn't he on the extended bench? Which he has been on when the team was named a few weeks in a row now? Am I missing somewhere that Ross Lyon said he was definitely going to play?
No. He's named at CHF.
Right. A half glance at the list could have told me that. I'm an idiot. Thanks mate.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Really, did he win the grand final sprint?

:wink:

Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

Does anyone else see Stanley in the mould of a Dustin Fletcher - tall, long arms, speed to break lines and speed to close down opponents, great leap and a long kick

Could he be better suited down back than up forward??

Just a question

The Devil makes work for idle hands!!!
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Devilhead wrote:Does anyone else see Stanley in the mould of a Dustin Fletcher - tall, long arms, speed to break lines and speed to close down opponents, great leap and a long kick

Just a question
Stanley has a great leap. Be a shame to waste that at FB.

I hope that Gaertner can bea smokey to develop intoa Fletcher like full back. Though Fletcher is elite...and so I am talking about type rather than quality.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote: Stanley has a great leap. Be a shame to waste that at FB.

I hope that Gaertner can bea smokey to develop intoa Fletcher like full back. Though Fletcher is elite...and so I am talking about type rather than quality.
With his athleticism there is a chance he could probably play anywhere

This has been the move that everyone has wanted to see - a win and a couple of goals from Rhys would be great

Very much looking forward to sunday

The Devil makes work for idle hands!!!
bergholt
Saintsational Legend

Devilhead wrote:Does anyone else see Stanley in the mould of a Dustin Fletcher - tall, long arms, speed to break lines and speed to close down opponents, great leap and a long kick

moving him around already, mate? at least give him a chance to have a bad game up forward so then we can consider moving him to defence or into the ruck - that's the natural order of things.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

bergholt wrote:moving him around already, mate? at least give him a chance to have a bad game up forward so then we can consider moving him to defence or into the ruck - that's the natural order of things.
he's named at chf, but he's played his best football by far for sandringham in the ruck. also, the eagles have nic nat. we might be looking for someone who can go with him?

Bardon Saint
Club Player

SainterK wrote:Really, did he win the grand final sprint?

:wink:
Yeah, because of the wide open spaces of subiaco, he will have lots of opportunities to sprint 100m. Apparently speed over 100m is in direct correlation with speed over 20-40m amongst the variables that exist within a game of football.

In all seriousness, I hope he gets a few touches to give him some confidence. More than anything, it helps us to get our structure right. We keep fisher down back and Goddard mid or back (although I love him up fwd). The saints need this one to stabilize. Go Saints!

Moccha
Saintsational Legend

Good luck - no buts!

5 kicks, 1 goal and 5 tackles would be a decent start but as long as we win that's all that matters

Another opportunity awaits!