Steven, Geary, Eddy and Armitage

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

dcstkfc
Saintsational Legend

Steven, Geary, Eddy and Armitage

Bit of an indictment on all of these blokes and our development in general that none of these four young midfield types can make our out-of-form side which in the past two years has lost Ball, Lovett and Harvey.

It is a concern that none of these four blokes all in their fourth year on the list (with the exception of Steven (third year)) have cemented a spot in the side.

STRENGTH THROUGH LOYALTY.

‎''I still get really excited, and I've got the '66 thing up on the wall in a frame … You look at it and think: one day, we want to achieve that.''- Arryn Siposs
ace
Saintsational Legend

Water Pistols

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.

If you are not engaging AI actively and aggressively, you are doing it wrong.
You are not going to lose your job to AI.
You are going lose your job to somebody who uses AI.
Your company is not going to go out of business because of AI.
Your company is going to go out of business because another company used AI.
- Jensen Huang, CEO of NVIDIA
sainta
Club Player

Can't really say we lost Lovett when he never played for us in the first place.

NoMore
Club Player

i think the concern is that our game style may not actually allow young players to learn how to play proper football as it is not enough about beating your own man and to much about gaurding space.

I think the best way to teach young players is with man on man football and is a reason our young players continue to struggle

saint66au
Saintsational Legend

it does concern me that of the above four, plus the "ins" this week Raph and Peake, not one can cement a place in the side. The only "fringe" player to do so from 2009 has been Jimmy Gwilt.

They go back, play well, for Sandy, get elevated, and rarely make any real impact.

To me the real concern is Armitage, Fourth-year player..first round pick, exactly the player we needed to step up with the departure of Ball..and he's still well and truly on the fringe

Make or break year for Armo Im afraid

THE BUBBLE HAS BURST

2011 player sponsor
dcstkfc
Saintsational Legend

saint66au wrote:it does concern me that of the above four, plus the "ins" this week Raph and Peake, not one can cement a place in the side. The only "fringe" player to do so from 2009 has been Jimmy Gwilt.

They go back, play well, for Sandy, get elevated, and rarely make any real impact.

To me the real concern is Armitage, Fourth-year player..first round pick, exactly the player we needed to step up with the departure of Ball..and he's still well and truly on the fringe

Agreed, by a fourth season first round draftpick inside mids should be averaging at least 20 pos a game.

So far he's averaging 15 pos and 6 tackles and 0.5 goals. We miss Ball.
Last edited by dcstkfc on Fri 21 May 2010 7:34pm, edited 1 time in total.

‎''I still get really excited, and I've got the '66 thing up on the wall in a frame … You look at it and think: one day, we want to achieve that.''- Arryn Siposs
St Fidelius
Saintsational Legend

saint66au wrote:it does concern me that of the above four, plus the "ins" this week Raph and Peake, not one can cement a place in the side. The only "fringe" player to do so from 2009 has been Jimmy Gwilt.

Yeah, the same can be said for McEvoy another first round draft pick and was meant to be the second best ruck in that draft and the best from vic country.

This year was really going to be his break out year IMO and to date he has shown little, either in the ruck or possessions around the ground.

I hope both Armo and McEvoy step up

Don't wait for the light at the end of the tunnel to appear, run down there and light the bloody thing yourself!
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Depends on your approach, don't want them to think their spot is a given either....keep them hungry, it's all good.

dcstkfc
Saintsational Legend

St Fidelius wrote:

Yeah, the same can be said for McEvoy another first round draft pick and was meant to be the second best ruck in that draft and the best from vic country.

This year was really going to be his break out year IMO and to date he has shown little, either in the ruck or possessions around the ground.

I hope both Armo and McEvoy step up
McEvoy deserves more time, he is a tall, and talls take longer than smalls.

Look at guys like Clark, Leuenberger, Goldstein, McIntosh, Jamar even Cox and Sandilands all didn't play great footy until later in their careers.

But Armo is being slaughtered comparatively by Beams, Ward, Selwood, Boak etc.

Middo
Club Player

dcstkfc wrote:

Agreed, by a fourth season first round draftpick inside mids should be averaging at least 20 pos a game.

So far he's averaging 15 pos and 6 tackles and 0.5 goals. We miss Ball.
Ball & Lovett move on mate,were 8 games in and still talking about these two.Lets judge the guys and team over a full season instead of making I told you so statements.How did Ball go at Sandy last year ?

Jack Newnes happy to be a Saint !!!! PS and to hit a target !!!
SaintSimmo
Club Player

saint66au wrote: McEvoy deserves more time, he is a tall, and talls take longer than smalls.

Look at guys like Clark, Leuenberger, Goldstein, McIntosh, Jamar even Cox and Sandilands all didn't play great footy until later in their careers.

Comparing Armo with the other 4
Age - Games - Years On List - Drafted at
Armo (22) 19 - 4 - #9 (2006)
Beams (20) 24 - 2 - #29 (2008)
Ward (20) 24 - 3 - #19 (2007)
Selwood (21) 74 - 4 - #7 - (2006)
Boak (21) 57 - 4 - #5 - (2006)

Armo is the oldest of the four, but has played the least amount of games out of them all. Boak and Selwood were drafted in the same year as David and have played full seasons, and about 40-60 games more than Armo.
Give him more games in the AFL to gain the experience that Boak and Selwood have.
Get off his back! You just wait next year will be the year of the armitage.

Sainter for life.
Sainterman
Club Player

You guys forgotten or too young to remember it took Hayes about 6 years to reach a worthwhile level and people were wondering if he would make it, took Monty 4 or so....some players take longer.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

SaintSimmo wrote:
saint66au wrote: McEvoy deserves more time, he is a tall, and talls take longer than smalls.

Armo is the oldest of the four, but has played the least amount of games out of them all. Boak and Selwood were drafted in the same year as David and have played full seasons, and about 40-60 games more than Armo.
Give him more games in the AFL to gain the experience that Boak and Selwood have.
He has played less games because of one reason. He hasnt been good enough. Now we have to wait until next year. There will be no next year if he doesnt improve.

Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

SaintSimmo wrote:

Are you trying to say that if he'd played as many games as Selwood he'd be as good? Absolutely ridiculous.

If he doesn't lift his game there will be no next year.

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
saintnick12
Club Player

Is it possible that Armo has signed with the Gold Coast and is on the outer at the club?

Conspiracy theory?

Fair enough he hasn't been fantastic, but I would have though there were a few worse than him for him to get dropped twice in three weeks.

"At the end of the day, a coach and a fitness adviser doesn't make a good football team, they're not the only ones who got us to two Grand Finals." Lenny Hayes. 27/9/2011.
Saintsfan
Club Player

saintnick12 wrote:Is it possible that Armo has signed with the Gold Coast and is on the outer at the club?

Conspiracy theory?

Fair enough he hasn't been fantastic, but I would have though there were a few worse than him for him to get dropped twice in three weeks.
I thought he was contracted but either way, so be it.

He is not playing at the potential he should be/has shown. Whilst I don't think he will become a gun of the competition I believe he should become an above average player.

The Saintsfan Cometh
bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

saintnick12 wrote:Is it possible that Armo has signed with the Gold Coast and is on the outer at the club?

Conspiracy theory?

maybe the Saints are trying to convince Clayton to take him.....wouldn't be too upsetting if he went....would it... :lol:

Saints looking like a bottom 4 team in 2024.
saintnick12
Club Player

bobmurray wrote:

Conspiracy theory?

maybe the Saints are trying to convince Clayton to take him.....wouldn't be too upsetting if he went....would it... :lol:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Not really, no. - especially if we got a reasonable pick in return.

Maybe they see something that our coaches don't. True he has not performed to the level we want, but I would have thought they could have backed him a bit more than they have, especially when we are crying out for some extra help in there at the moment. I can't help but thinking there is more to this than meets the eye.
Last edited by saintnick12 on Sat 22 May 2010 12:14am, edited 1 time in total.

"At the end of the day, a coach and a fitness adviser doesn't make a good football team, they're not the only ones who got us to two Grand Finals." Lenny Hayes. 27/9/2011.
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Saintsfan wrote:

Conspiracy theory?

He is not playing at the potential he should be/has shown. Whilst I don't think he will become a gun of the competition I believe he should become an above average player.
we cant afford to spend 4 yrs developing guys for "so be it"...less talent in years to come means our strike rate had better be good or we will really suffer.

“Yeah….nah””
Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

Conspiracy theory?

The Armo to Gold Coast comment gets thrown up from time to time but appears to have no basis other than he's from QLD and so are they. I mean if he was from, say, Shepparton, would people still link him to the Gold Coast?

Would Dave be interested in the Gold Coast considering they're based about 900 klms south of the area he originated from? That's hardly a homecoming!

And would the Gold Coast have any interest in Dave anyway given his failure, thus far, to cement a senior AFL spot?

The point I make is that Armo may well be at the Gold Coast next year, however we don't know that and we shouldn't speculate on it simply because he's a Queenslander.

bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

Dr Spaceman wrote:

Conspiracy theory?

The Armo to Gold Coast comment gets thrown up from time to time but appears to have no basis other than he's from QLD and so are they. I mean if he was from, say, Shepparton, would people still link him to the Gold Coast?

Would Dave be interested in the Gold Coast considering they're based about 900 klms south of the area he originated from? That's hardly a homecoming!

And would the Gold Coast have any interest in Dave anyway given his failure, thus far, to cement a senior AFL spot?

The point I make is that Armo may well be at the Gold Coast next year, however we don't know that and we shouldn't speculate on it simply because he's a Queenslander.
if he's not at the Gold Coast he may well be at Southport next year if he doesn't cut the mustard in 2010....

Saints looking like a bottom 4 team in 2024.
saintnick12
Club Player

Just trying to find a plausable explanation for a strange situation is all.

He seems to be treated more harshly than some of the others.

Gold coast do not seem to be having much luck with the big fish and will be trying for some other I would imagine as well.

As far as I know he is out of contract, so its plausable. Not really saying it because of the QLD angle. Would say the same if it was GWS this year.

I just think he has done something to annoy the coaching staff, over and above his below par performances. Others seem to get away with it, yet he gets dropped at the earliest opportunity.

Saintsfan
Club Player

Teflon wrote:
Saintsfan wrote:

Conspiracy theory?

we cant afford to spend 4 yrs developing guys for "so be it"...less talent in years to come means our strike rate had better be good or we will really suffer.
We can afford to spend 4 years doing so as there are still 44 players on a list and with a great core that we have at the moment we can afford to really stick with a player or two for an extra year and see if they hopefully can come good.

Whilst it is not ideal it is the nature of our group at the moment.

We will really suffer down the track anyway. Any team that has either won a flag or has blown it has had to make a trip down to the bottom of the ladder regardless of the young talent that was underneath the best 22 at the time.

The Saintsfan Cometh
Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

saintnick12 wrote:Just trying to find a plausable explanation for a strange situation is all.

He seems to be treated more harshly than some of the others.

Gold coast do not seem to be having much luck with the big fish and will be trying for some other I would imagine as well.

As far as I know he is out of contract, so its plausable. Not really saying it because of the QLD angle. Would say the same if it was GWS this year.

I just think he has done something to annoy the coaching staff, over and above his below par performances. Others seem to get away with it, yet he gets dropped at the earliest opportunity.
Fair enough saintnick, it's just that it's often thrown up by posters without, IMO, any real basis.

I like Armo and really hopes he makes it with us and that he wants to stay.

I'd prefer to think there's nothing sinister involved and that Ross is just getting him to concentrate on the things he needs to improve to become a regular senior player. I mean he's been good but, so far, not great and while one can make a case for his inclusion, many others can make a case in the negative.

I'm sure he'll get many more opportunities before the year's out

8-)

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Won't hurt him, needs to be hungry....

I don't want to think he played well against Freo because Jack Steven was hovering for selection at the time, I want him to play well because he wants to.