Separated at Birth.

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

GrumpyOne
Saintsational Legend
Location: Kicked out of the Coffee Shop, Settlement Pub, Cranbourne

Separated at Birth.

Jimmy Gwilt and Raph Clarke........ according to most commentators over the past couple of weeks........ sick of them being identified incorrectly.

Two completely different ethnicities. Just waiting for Peake to be mistaken for one of them so we can include a third ethnic background in the mix. :roll:

Roo and Kosi never get mistaken for each other.

Australia...... Live it like we stole it....... Because we did.
matrix
Saintsational Legend

yeah noticed this yesterday...again

i mean crikey, jimmy has a mini afro for crying out loud.

dcstkfc
Saintsational Legend

Haven't noticed it to be honest but you're right they are paid to get it right so they should, although I'd say part of it is that they are both relatively low-profile players, I'd be lying if I said I knew the difference between Eric McKenzie and Tom Swift.

STRENGTH THROUGH LOYALTY.

‎''I still get really excited, and I've got the '66 thing up on the wall in a frame … You look at it and think: one day, we want to achieve that.''- Arryn Siposs
Saint Bev
SS Life Member

matrix wrote:yeah noticed this yesterday...again

i mean crikey, jimmy has a mini afro for crying out loud.
True, but if Raph had a perm, he would have a fro :wink:

Qld Saints Supporter Group
matrix
Saintsational Legend

lol at perm

christ that brings back memories :?

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

i thought this thread was going to be about these two:

35...LEGEND
Club Player

dcstkfc wrote:Haven't noticed it to be honest but you're right they are paid to get it right so they should, although I'd say part of it is that they are both relatively low-profile players, I'd be lying if I said I knew the difference between Eric McKenzie and Tom Swift.

mmmmm............not around here,1 of em atleast. :wink:

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

Re: Separated at Birth.

GrumpyOne wrote:Jimmy Gwilt and Raph Clarke........ according to most commentators over the past couple of weeks........ sick of them being identified incorrectly.

Two completely different ethnicities. Just waiting for Peake to be mistaken for one of them so we can include a third ethnic background in the mix. :roll:

They are all the same aren't they?

Good thing we dont have two players of East Asian heritage, apparently they all look the same as well.

Why cant everyone just be Anglo? Would make it so much easier for the poor put upon commentators.

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
saint3d
Club Player

33 looks a lot like 16.

GrumpyOne
Saintsational Legend

saint3d wrote:33 looks a lot like 16.
Roughly twice as big. :wink:

Ice Wolf
Club Player

joffaboy wrote:
GrumpyOne wrote:Jimmy Gwilt and Raph Clarke........ according to most commentators over the past couple of weeks........ sick of them being identified incorrectly.

They are all the same aren't they?
Gwilt clearly looks Welsh to me. Also has fairly distinctive hair cut.

As for Roo and Kosi it would just be bad form to mistake a Pole for a German or Anyone from the Mainland for a Tasmanian for that matter.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

It was Jakovich Sunday night, Gerard correct him.

In fairness, Raph was having a really good game, I think they were just trying to credit him with anything remotely good that happened.

Ice Wolf
Club Player

SainterK wrote:It was Jakovich Sunday night, Gerard correct him.

In fairness, Raph was having a really good game, I think they were just trying to credit him with anything remotely good that happened.
So good he was in 2 places at once with 2 different numbers on his back and 2 different haircuts and noses.

Eastern
Saintsational Legend

The latest "mix-up" coming from Glen Jakovich who struggles with any real knowledge of any players NOT playing for either of the WA sides !!

NEW scarf signature (hopefully with correct spelling) will be here as soon as it arrives !!

Armoooo
Saintsational Legend

You've never mistaken them?

Sometimes you don't always have the benefit of seeing them in the wide open spaces by themselves, sometimes you don't get to see their number... As for the Roo to Kosi comment that's just silly, sure those two haven't been mistaken for one another... I've seen Armitage be refered to as Dal Santo more than I have seen commentators get Gwilt and Raph mixed up.

I may be completely off the ball here but I sense an accusation of ignorance from your post, almost like you're saying that commentators think 'all them dark boys look the same'...

Just out of curiosity have you seen much of Carlton play this season? have you ever gotten Yarran, Betts or Garlett mixed up?

ROBERT HARVEY A.K.A The Great Man, Banger, Harves, Ol' Man River...
384 games, 4 B&F's, 3 EJ Whitten Medals, St.Kilda Captain, 2 Time Brownlow Medalist, 8 Time All Australian, 2nd Highest Brownlow votes poller.... The greatest of ALL TIME!!
rexy
SS Life Member

Armoooo wrote:

You've never mistaken them?

Sometimes you don't always have the benefit of seeing them in the wide open spaces by themselves, sometimes you don't get to see their number... As for the Roo to Kosi comment that's just silly, sure those two haven't been mistaken for one another... I've seen Armitage be refered to as Dal Santo more than I have seen commentators get Gwilt and Raph mixed up.

I may be completely off the ball here but I sense an accusation of ignorance from your post, almost like you're saying that commentators think 'all them dark boys look the same'...

Just out of curiosity have you seen much of Carlton play this season? have you ever gotten Yarran, Betts or Garlett mixed up?
Must admit, whilst i find it unprofessional when professional commentators get players names wrong, I also agree that it is a bit rough to label a mistake as racist, I have had to look twice before, also with Gilbert and Stanley I had to look twice a couple of times, Ray and Geary especially when Geary takes an overhead mark, Mini and Schneider I have done it too. Guess i must be anti everyone?

Find the "we must recruit an aboriginal forward pocket" threads more racist than a commentator getting two guys of roughly the same height, skin color and hair color and wearing the same uniform mixed up from 150 metres away.

Maybe this year?
GrumpyOne
Saintsational Legend

Armoooo wrote:I may be completely off the ball here but I sense an accusation of ignorance from your post, almost like you're saying that commentators think 'all them dark boys look the same'...

You are not off the ball, and I am saying that.

As my eldest and his son barrack for the blues, I have had the misfortune of seeing them four or five times. There are plenty of Carlton guys I do not recognise, but I can tell individuals apart.

Inconsequential anyway, as the three Carlton guys have the same ethnic background. Not the same with Jimmy and Raph.

Saint Bev
SS Life Member

Is wanting to recruit aboriginal players really racist? I think its a compliment, they are fantastic athletes.

Qld Saints Supporter Group
bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

Saint Bev wrote:Is wanting to recruit aboriginal players really racist? I think its a compliment, they are fantastic athletes.
the race card gets played at every opportunity,whether it's warranted or not... :oops:

Saints looking like a bottom 4 team in 2024.
st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

Eastern wrote:
The latest "mix-up" coming from Glen Jakovich who struggles with any real knowledge of any players NOT playing for either of the WA sides !!
please Jakovic would be lucky to know his own name the stupid studdering fool he is

"The team that wins in the most positions and makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins the game." -- Allan Jeans

http://westernsaints.wordpress.com/
Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

Meanwhile, it looks as though Milney is living a double life as an NBA basketball player over in Phoenix, Arizona over in the States by changing his last name to "Nash".

Curb your enthusiasm - you’re a St.Kilda supporter!!
kosifantutti23
SS Hall of Fame

I thought the little guy with the long sleeves, Hams, was the most distinctive looking player on the ground. BT still managed to confuse him and McGinnty.

I also had trouble with Gilbert and Stanley.

Furtius Quo Rdelious
rexy
SS Life Member

Saint Bev wrote:Is wanting to recruit aboriginal players really racist? I think its a compliment, they are fantastic athletes.
Was Derek Kicket a fantastic athlete, or a good footballer?

Recruiting someone because of their race is no different to not recruiting them for the same reason IMO.

When people say, "we should have recruited an aboriginal forward pocket" i think that is in poor taste. We should always recruit the best available talent regardless of race, Adam Goodes article on the weekend was spot on. Aboriginal players should be recruited and and critiqued on their merits as footballers, not drafted because they might do the extraordinary nor just be appreciated for their great goals when they do so much more, both in the game and on the training track, like all other players.

IMO the rough treatment of Raph Clarke from many different avenues stems from the fact that he does not fit the stereotype of a flashy aboriginal footballer, Raph probably averages as many posessions and as good an efficiency rate as Eddy Betts or Alwyn Davey but does not get the kudos due to being a defender. Much braver than either as well.

Maybe this year?
St Fidelius
Saintsational Legend

Sainternist wrote:Meanwhile, it looks as though Milney is living a double life as an NBA basketball player over in Phoenix, Arizona over in the States by changing his last name to "Nash".

lol

I just showed jnr your post (just the pics) and he said "Nash"...

Got a laugh from him and said it was a great likeness.

Great comparison !!!!

Don't wait for the light at the end of the tunnel to appear, run down there and light the bloody thing yourself!
Shrappy
Club Player

What about Milney and Socceroo Scott McDonald

http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/4 ... d_gall.jpg