Walsh the shinning light for Sandy

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

JABBER
Club Player

Walsh the shinning light for Sandy

tommy walsh on the tv looked the best of our rookies for sandy on saturday.

trevor barker
degruch
Saintsational Legend

Erm...any other info? Give me stats, reports and a personal character reference please.

shmic_s
Club Player

degruch wrote:Erm...any other info? Give me stats, reports and a personal character reference please.
He is highly rated in his home town.

He did have a presence in the forward line. Kicking looked okay too. Progressing well.
Last edited by shmic_s on Mon 31 May 2010 1:17pm, edited 1 time in total.

degruch
Saintsational Legend

shmic_s wrote:
degruch wrote:Erm...any other info? Give me stats, reports and a personal character reference please.
He is highly rated in his home town?
Former headmaster's reference will do.

Very encouraging to hear how fast he's coming along!

samoht
Saintsational Legend
Location: https://www.amazon.com.au/Fugitive-Sold ... B00EO1GCNK

I thought Walsh did well considering the quality of the delivery.
He could have kicked 5 ... missed a couple of relatively easy snaps.

He also was a team player.. gave handballs and short passes instead of just bombing at goal.
Last edited by samoht on Mon 31 May 2010 1:47pm, edited 1 time in total.

super dooper
Club Player

I think we have to be careful here and not expect a Jim Stynes type to come out of his development...

One passage that caught my eye was a half volley pick up with a quick left handed handball over his right shoulder into the path of Geary (i think it was) who ran into goal...

Also took a couple strong marks out in front on the lead.

I wouldnt say he dominated but he showed a couple signs.

Built like an ox to boot.

Last time i saw him play was at the intra club and lets face it, his performance was laughable at best. The guy is learning a new game and shown a world of improvement to date, lets hope he continues with another year or 2 at sandy

I hate to say it, but Setanta is starting to find his feet.. How long has he been around for???

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

super dooper wrote:I think we have to be careful here and not expect a Jim Stynes type to come out of his development
i'll make a bold prediction here and say he'll be as good as stynes (who was a super player).

markp
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote:
super dooper wrote:I think we have to be careful here and not expect a Jim Stynes type to come out of his development
i'll make a bold prediction here and say he'll be as good as stynes (who was a super player).
Wow... if that comes even nearly true and/or J. Smith comes good then the whole pick 16 + 30 thing will certainly be forgotten.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

super dooper wrote:I think we have to be careful here and not expect a Jim Stynes type to come out of his development...
Since you mentioned Jim, I think it is very relvant to remember that Jim initially was poor and was sent to play with Coburg (ie AFL teams ahd there own reserves then) to learn the game.

Yes he then went on to be one of the games greats.

However the lesson is despite the obvious raw talent to not expect too much too soon. tommy like Jim needs games of football to learn the game and get used to readying the play in all sorts of situations and conditions.

This all takes time.....and Tommy has now only played what 7-9 games of footy in his life?????

I like what I saw...but equally I know that he will be a lot better by seasons end, and then next year, and then the year after..

Lets hope that he can last the course..

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
Dis Believer
Saintsational Legend
Location: The terraces at Moorabbin, in the pouring rain.......

super dooper wrote:I think we have to be careful here and not expect a Jim Stynes type to come out of his development...

One passage that caught my eye was a half volley pick up with a quick left handed handball over his right shoulder into the path of Geary (i think it was) who ran into goal...

Also took a couple strong marks out in front on the lead.

I wouldnt say he dominated but he showed a couple signs.

Built like an ox to boot.

Last time i saw him play was at the intra club and lets face it, his performance was laughable at best. The guy is learning a new game and shown a world of improvement to date, lets hope he continues with another year or 2 at sandy

I hate to say it, but Setanta is starting to find his feet.. How long has he been around for???
I was gobsmacked by his game on Saturday. I watched him at the intra-club and he moved well but was clearly foreign to the game, and we noted a number of team-mates instructing him on where to run and position himself. Saturday was a real surprise - he looks like he has compressed about a years tuition into the past 3 months!! He lead out well, seemed to have good awareness of where his team-mates should/would be, and the only blot on the day was a misjudged kick in the back line. If improvement continues at it's current rate he could almost play seniors this year - and I would have bet money against that in February!!

The heavy metal artist formerly known as True Believer!
IF you look around the room and can't identify who the sucker is, then it's probably you!
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

True Believer wrote:I was gobsmacked by his game on Saturday. I watched him at the intra-club and he moved well but was clearly foreign to the game, and we noted a number of team-mates instructing him on where to run and position himself. Saturday was a real surprise - he looks like he has compressed about a years tuition into the past 3 months!! He lead out well, seemed to have good awareness of where his team-mates should/would be, and the only blot on the day was a misjudged kick in the back line. If improvement continues at it's current rate he could almost play seniors this year - and I would have bet money against that in February!!
footy's a simple game really. i think he's learning pretty quickly to trust his natural instincts, which are very, very good.

samoht
Saintsational Legend

As long as Walsh won't weaken our side by replacing a proven and in form player and goalkicker - he's ready for promotion now.

Even if he's equal to the player he's likely to be replacing - there's his upside we need to consider.

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

samoht wrote:As long as Walsh won't weaken our side by replacing a proven and in form player - he's ready for promotion now.

Even if he's equal to the player he's likely to be replacing - there's his upside we need to consider.
Doesn't seem to have too much problem handling our odd shaped ball.

And that you would imagine would be one of the most difficult things for him to master.

Not getting carried away but there's a hell of a lot to like, and to be excited about. :D

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote:
footy's a simple game really. i think he's learning pretty quickly to trust his natural instincts, which are very, very good.
Some players never pick up what it is to be really good though...and a lot of modern football has nothing to do with natural instincts. You have a team role and have to fill it. ie in zoning there is very little natural about it. It takes thinking, practice and application.

Add to this that strategically the game is alot more complex this days.
It is a lot to master quickly.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Dr Spaceman wrote:

Doesn't seem to have too much problem handling our odd shaped ball.
Indeed looks very good.

I love his Lowe-like "clamp" marking.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote:
bigcarl wrote:
Some players never pick up what it is to be really good though...and a lot of modern football has nothing to do with natural instincts. You have a team role and have to fill it. ie in zoning there is very little natural about it. It takes thinking, practice and application.

i hear you, but he is a quick learner by the looks of things. reportedly a very focused and driven character as well.

i will be avidly tracking his progress as a forward at sandringham. if he starts kicking bags of goals it will be very interesting ...

the most important thing is that he has the natural ability and character to make it.
Last edited by bigcarl on Mon 31 May 2010 2:36pm, edited 1 time in total.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote:
saintsRrising wrote:
bigcarl wrote:

i hear you, but he is a quick learner by the looks of things. reportedly a very focused and driven character as well.

i will be avidly tracking his progress as a forward at sandringham.
if he starts kicking bags of goals it will be very interesting ...
Yes I am excited by him as well...and I love his rate of progression.

But sometimes talent is not enough. Look at the dees and watts (who will bea player eventually).

However walsh hasa mature body oon his side. But even his body and endurance will be better next year adfter another proper pre-season.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote:Yes I am excited by him as well...and I love his rate of progression.

But sometimes talent is not enough. Look at the dees and watts (who will bea player eventually).

However walsh has a mature body on his side. But even his body and endurance will be better next year adfter another proper pre-season.
i'm not saying he is ready now (although you could argue that he wouldn't do worse than a couple of the incumbents).

what i don't want under any circumstances is him packing it in and going back to ireland where he was a superstar.

he'll get there and we need to make sure he does.

if his form at sandringham is good enough, i'd expect him to be considered for selection like any other player (once elevated off the rookie list of course).

dcstkfc
Saintsational Legend

markp wrote:
bigcarl wrote:
Wow... if that comes even nearly true and/or J. Smith comes good then the whole pick 16 + 30 thing will certainly be forgotten.
Jesse Smith + Walsh > Ball + Lovett + Pittard

I'd like to see that!

STRENGTH THROUGH LOYALTY.

‎''I still get really excited, and I've got the '66 thing up on the wall in a frame … You look at it and think: one day, we want to achieve that.''- Arryn Siposs
older saint
SS Life Member

Was interested to watch him onthe weekend. I think up until now he had been playing back so was interesting to see how he went with the back to goals. Did well but misjudged a few which you would expect .
Really impressed with a kick in the final term was on the flank and kicked across the body and spotted up a player inside 50- that took some talent to do.

Will be surprised to see him tis year but who knows.
Long term good pick

samoht
Saintsational Legend

I guess the question we need to ask is - how much further does he need to improve to replace an incumbent ?

If he can do no worse - then he needs to come in - his potential upside almost demands it.

Sainterman
Club Player

samoht wrote:I guess the question we need to ask is - how much further does he need to improve to replace an incumbent ?

If he can do no worse - then he needs to come in - his potential upside almost demands it.
Who would he replace?

Whilst the signs were good on the weekend I am not too sure he is ready to be thrown in to the big time just yet. How many games has he played? 10?

How about we look at our win-loss being at 7-3, realise for the most part we are going ok without our skipper, and try and hold firm. If he kicks 3 bags of 5 in a row then we might start to think about it, but right now he needs more development...and to learn more about the game.

He is a very bright prospect, and I am thrilled with how quickly he has come on, but I think rushing him at this point would be a big mistake, and honestly, I cannot see it happening.

samoht
Saintsational Legend

Sainterman wrote:
samoht wrote:I guess the question we need to ask is - how much further does he need to improve to replace an incumbent ?

Who would he replace?

Whilst the signs were good on the weekend I am not too sure he is ready to be thrown in to the big time just yet. How many games has he played? 10?

How about we look at our win-loss being at 7-3, realise for the most part we are going ok without our skipper, and try and hold firm. If he kicks 3 bags of 5 in a row then we might start to think about it, but right now he needs more development...and to learn more about the game.

He is a very bright prospect, and I am thrilled with how quickly he has come on, but I think rushing him at this point would be a big mistake, and honestly, I cannot see it happening.
Sandy's delivery was poor .. yet he did okay and could have kicked 5 (if he kicked straight).
I'm not sure if Sandy will deliver it any beter to him over the next few weeks ?

Actually if he replaces Kosi whilst Kosi finds form in the VFL - that may not be a bad thing for Kosi.

axcellence
Club Player

He is probably 1 year away at least based on the ABC TV telecast on Saturday...

samoht
Saintsational Legend

axcellence wrote:He is probably 1 year away at least based on the ABC TV telecast on Saturday...
If he can let Kosi find form in the VFL it could be a good thing ... whilst he gets a taste and sees what's required at the next level.
It could prove good for both players.

He's obviously behind an in form Kosi... but there were signs as someone posted above where Kosi looked disinterested in chasing .. just stood by whilst opponents were rebounding, and maybe he needs to step down reassess and refocus - to return a better player.

Walsh would be the equal of the out of form Kosi... we're currently seeing.