From Stanley to Walsh

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

meher baba
Saintsational Legend

From Stanley to Walsh

For weeks on this forum it was "Stanley this" and "Stanley that" and "promote Stanley" and on and on and on.

Stanley plays, does ok IMO but hardly showed himself to be a budding superstar, and suddenly it's as if he never existed and all we hear is "Walsh, Walsh, Walsh".

Enough already!! We're not the Tigers or the Demons: we don't need to rush all our develping players into the top grade. There'll be time enough to give Walsh a go at AFL level some time in Rds 17-20 when we are 4-8 points ahead of the team in 5th spot.

Sheeshhh!!

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."
- Jonathan Swift
samoht
Saintsational Legend
Location: https://www.amazon.com.au/Fugitive-Sold ... B00EO1GCNK

Stanley has added something .. we needed a quick tall.

Now Walsh may be used to replace Kosi and allow him to find form in the VFL .. and return a better player.

He's not the messiah .. just a possible replacement whilst Kosi refocusses.

sheesh back !

Stillwaiting
Saintsational Legend

Dont see the problem with bringing them both in for a few games with the Roo injury and the posible dropping of Kosi.
Stanley will only get better

I love this club
markp
Saintsational Legend

Fair call... but I think positively looking for solutions and avenues of improvement is infinitely preferable to just negatively pointing out faults and apportioning blame.

savatage
SS Life Member

Re: From Stanley to Walsh

meher baba wrote:For weeks on this forum it was "Stanley this" and "Stanley that" and "promote Stanley" and on and on and on.

!
For very good reason & very good effect.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

savatage wrote:
meher baba wrote:For weeks on this forum it was "Stanley this" and "Stanley that" and "promote Stanley" and on and on and on.

!
For very good reason & very good effect.
f oath. we were all pumped about stanley cos we needed a replacement to roam across half forward. hes at least provided that and allowed our regular structures/positions. hes 2 from 2.

and the reason people are going on about walsh is because kosi is genuinely struggling

so in both cases. there is a logical reason. noone is advocating bringing forward young guys for the sake of it. its just that under the circumstances we face ourselves in opportunity has arisen for both those players.

for instance if kosi was red hot and roo was not injured but zac, fisher and blake all got injured - i am sure saintsational would be posting like crazy about will johnson, simpkin and gaertner....

dcstkfc
Saintsational Legend

samoht wrote:Stanley has added something .. we needed a quick tall.

Now Walsh may be used to replace Kosi and allow him to find form in the VFL .. and return a better player.

sheesh back !
He's not the messiah, he's just a very Irish boy

STRENGTH THROUGH LOYALTY.

‎''I still get really excited, and I've got the '66 thing up on the wall in a frame … You look at it and think: one day, we want to achieve that.''- Arryn Siposs
Griggsy
SS Life Member

I think we should all apologise for having a discussion on a fan forum.

But seriously I think the clarity of thread titles is worth complaining about more, atleast then you can skip it knowing you are not missing anything you could be interested in. Instead of really vague titles that could mean a number of things.

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

Walsh replacing Kosi in the near future?
I'd be surprised if that happened.

IMO, every opposition team would rub their hands in glee at that prospect.
However badly Kosi is playing atm, I'm sure he is still considered a dangerous player to negate.

Who do you reckon Richmond, Fremantle and Geelong would rather face playing at FF for us in the next few games - Kosi or Walsh?

ace
Saintsational Legend

samoht wrote:Stanley has added something .. we needed a quick tall.

sheesh back !
We all know he is not the messiah.
The messiah was seen wearing a Brisbane Lions scarf and sitting next to Mike Fitzpatrick at last years final between Brisbane & Carlton.

You could even see the holes in his hands and the holes in all his policies.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.

If you are not engaging AI actively and aggressively, you are doing it wrong.
You are not going to lose your job to AI.
You are going lose your job to somebody who uses AI.
Your company is not going to go out of business because of AI.
Your company is going to out of business because another company used AI.
- Jensen Huang, CEO of NVIDIA 50:08
samoht
Saintsational Legend

Mr Magic..

They'd all rather face Walsh over an in form Kosi... but it's probably line ball I'd say at the moment.

Walsh is slowly improving while Kosi is struggling with his form especially taking marks and soon the graphs will cross - they may be crossing now.

But in my view ..
Kosi at his best (in rare form) is up there with J Brown and Roo and ahead of the great and consistent champion Pavlich .. as he is a better contested marks inside 50... than Pav.
At the moment he's dropping them.

A stint in the VFL could do him a world of good... and get him right for the finals.

I'd rather that we rubbed our hands in glee with an in form Kosi... isn't that what it's about ?

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

samoht wrote:Mr Magic..

They'd all rather face Walsh over an in form Kosi... but it's probably line ball I'd say at the moment.

Walsh is slowly improving while Kosi is struggling with his form especially taking marks and soon the graphs will cross - they may be crossing now.

But in my view ..
Kosi at his best (in rare form) is up there with J Brown and Roo and ahead of the great and consistent champion Pavlich .. as he is a better contested marks inside 50... than Pav.
At the moment he's dropping them.

A stint in the VFL could do him a world of good... and get him right for the finals.
I think opposition clubs are wary of Kosi - He might only be 1 contested grab away from unleashing what they know he's capable of unleashing.
Because of that he'll command, whilst Roo is out, their best tall defender.

IMO, Walsh currently wouldn't.
Now Walsh may come out in the next month and absolutely destroy opposition VFL teams, which would force the selection panel to pick him.
But currently he's not doing that.
On Sunday's form against North Ballarat, can you honestly say that Walsh should/would cause oppositions concern at AFL level?

I'm convinced they'd assess him as an interesting prospect who's learning the game and may turn into a good player - once that learning experience has occured.

He's played how many games of AFL style footy?
And we're expecting him to play on Bock, Tarrant, Scarlett, Lake, Fletcher, Jamieson Prestiperrycomo, Glass etc?
These are the blokes playing FB on Kosi.

samoht
Saintsational Legend

Mr Magic

The point is at the moment he probably won't do any worse than Kosi .. Kosi has kicked how many goals in 7 games at FF ?

I think it's 7 .. so a goal a match.

This is the mid point of the year .. a good time possibly for Kosi to regain form via the VFL and come back as the Kosi that we are all hoping to see close to the pointy end of the season ?

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

samoht wrote:Mr Magic

The point is at the moment he probably won't do any worse than Kosi .. Kosi has kicked how many goals in 10 games at FF ?

This is the mid point of the year .. a good time possibly for Kosi to regain form via the VFL and come back as the Kosi that we are all hoping to see close to the pointy end of the season ?
I'm not sure he'd get any b etter playing at Sandy where he would be relying on delivery from ????

At least this week he would be playing against Richmond and the ball would be delivered by Lenny, Dal, BJ, Monty etc.

Without wishing to denigrate Richmanod, they are one team that don't have an easily recognized good tall backman, like the ones mentioned before.

Are you suggesting that Kosi be dropped to regain form and we play Walsh, who clearly isn't ready yet, until Kosi gets back his form?
Then we drop Walsh back to Sandy?

Gilbert The Great
Club Player

One thing that Kosi still has going for him is that he can bring the ball to ground with his pack crunching giving our small fowards a chance.

I love Kosi and I hope he is able to pull out of this slump soon, maybe a few games agaisnt teams with less experienced defences is the thing he needs.

samoht
Saintsational Legend

Mr Magic wrote:

The point is at the moment he probably won't do any worse than Kosi .. Kosi has kicked how many goals in 10 games at FF ?

I'm not sure he'd get any b etter playing at Sandy where he would be relying on delivery from ????

At least this week he would be playing against Richmond and the ball would be delivered by Lenny, Dal, BJ, Monty etc.

Without wishing to denigrate Richmanod, they are one team that don't have an easily recognized good tall backman, like the ones mentioned before.

Are you suggesting that Kosi be dropped to regain form and we play Walsh, who clearly isn't ready yet, until Kosi gets back his form?
Yes as we won't be losing anything goal wise by playing Walsh ... while Kosi is regaining his confidence and form at VFL.
Meanwhile Walsh may show something with better delivery at AFL level ?

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

samoht wrote:
Mr Magic wrote:

Yes as we won't be losing anything goal wise by playing Walsh ... while Kosi is regaining his confidence and form at VFL.
Then that is where we disagree.
I don't think that however out of form Kosi is currently, Walsh at this stage would provide a better option.
IMO, he's not ready.

Kosi provides more as our FF than just taking marks and kicking goals (which are also important).
He provides a target and the rest of our small forwards know that even out of form the opposition is more likely to 'spoil' tha attempt to outmark him.
That creates opportunities.

If Karmichael Hunt was our 'rookie' instead of Walsh, would we be expecting him to play AFL senior football now?
He's arguably had more experience at Aussie Rules than Walsh.

samoht
Saintsational Legend

We all love Kosi .. hope he regains his form against Richmond.

.. he just needs to believe in himself a little more and hold those marks.

rexy
SS Life Member

Mr Magic is on the ball, real debate starts when Roo gets back! Who stays in? Kosi or Stanley? For now Kosi is our only established AFL tall forward.

Maybe this year?
bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

as opposed to the Kosi we saw in last years finals...i'll say one thing about Kosi at the moment....he's been consistent for some time

Saints looking like a bottom 4 team in 2024.
samoht
Saintsational Legend

One thing we need to get past is the following hollow argument ...

" a FF is providing a target therefore he has earnt his spot "- otherwise we're setting the bar low for FF's.

A FF needs to kick goals ! .. and hold those marks.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Stanley plays, does ok IMO but hardly showed himself to be a budding superstar, and suddenly it's as if he never existed and all we hear is "Walsh, Walsh, Walsh".

Enough already!! We're not the Tigers or the Demons: we don't need to rush all our develping players into the top grade. There'll be time enough to give Walsh a go at AFL level some time in Rds 17-20 when we are 4-8 points ahead of the team in 5th spot.

Sheeshhh!!
sheeeshhhh indeed...you are picking out the extreme views of some and passing it off as the majority.

Get a grip MB.

I think the majority and reasoned view was that the kid Stanley was wortha try...which he has been.

Go back and look at the discussion on Stanley pre-round one. Yes some enthusiasts were pushing Stanley, but the reasoned view was that while he exciting in some passgaes of play that he was inconstent and needed to do and show more.

Very few serious posters want Walsh promoted now. Most are pleased with his progess and see him as a chance next year.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
Milan Faletic
Saintsational Legend

Walsh for Eddy might be worth a go considering we are playing Richmond.

rexy
SS Life Member

Milan Faletic wrote:Walsh for Eddy might be worth a go considering we are playing Richmond.
Much bigger possibility than Walsh for Kosi IMO.

Maybe this year?
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

samoht wrote:The point is at the moment he probably won't do any worse than Kosi. Kosi has kicked how many goals in 7 games at FF? I think it's 7 ... so a goal a match.
those are unacceptable figures for a guy who is supposed to be leading the attack.

my solution would be bj (who kicked five in a half against fremantle) to ff. but that seems unlikely to happen.

the next best option would be mcevoy to ff and kosi to ruck. i'm sure kosi would regain some touch and, let's face it, mcevoy couldn't do much worse at ff than kosi.

walsh should be elevated from the rookie list.

he is a very exciting prospect and if he starts turning it on at sandringham, i'd expect him to be considered for selection like anyone else on the list.

despite his irish background.

what we don't want is a potential superstar slipping through our fingers and returning home to where he already was one.