Geary

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saintbob
SS Life Member

Geary

Liked his game a lot last night, was in and under doing the hard work and was also able to get on the end of a few handballs when we needed some run, his use of the ball was quite good on most occassions as well.

The Mullet
Club Player

I thought his disposal was poor last night, and has been all season.

Wrote for Luck
Club Player

Agree. Not bad numbers last night (five tackles). Like his attack on the ball. Will develop into a tough brave player I reckon. Coming along very nicely at only 21.

Player K HB D M G B T HO GA GC I50 FF FA DT SC
Jarryn Geary 7 6 13 4 0 0 5 0 0 0 1 1 0 66 70

Pills 'n' Thrills and Heartaches
Moccha
Saintsational Legend

The Mullet wrote:I thought his disposal was poor last night, and has been all season.
I don't understand this. How many times did he turn it over. How many times did Lenny and Gilbert turn it over.

Another opportunity awaits!
3rd generation saint
Saintsational Legend

Let's face it, the disposal of most of the team last night was below par.
Not to mention the terrible conversion of set shots at goal.

Except for the sanity nothing much has been lost.
dcstkfc
Saintsational Legend

Moccha wrote:
The Mullet wrote:I thought his disposal was poor last night, and has been all season.
I don't understand this. How many times did he turn it over. How many times did Lenny and Gilbert turn it over.
They get it more than him but agreed. I don't see Geary's possesson as a liability as opposed to Gilbert and Raph.

STRENGTH THROUGH LOYALTY.

‎''I still get really excited, and I've got the '66 thing up on the wall in a frame … You look at it and think: one day, we want to achieve that.''- Arryn Siposs
fingers
Saintsational Legend

I didn't even notice he was playing until late in the game. Shows how much I know.

derby Street
Club Player

I reckon he was better than Eddy (not sure what that is saying though)

StPeter
Club Player

I thought Geary looked good. As usual there were 21 players in our side better than Eddy.

eel33
Club Player

Gaery's first half was good. Faded in the second, particularly the 3rd quarter. Disposal was so-so by foot at times, but he moved well in heavy traffic a number of times. Took clean possession with some nice hip shimmy a la Harves before dishing off a handball. Bit of a hard nut who reminds me in some ways of a young Bakes.

ace
Saintsational Legend

StPeter wrote:I thought Geary looked good. As usual there were 21 players in our side better than Eddy.
Eddy came into the side against West Coast because RL thought he was needed at Subiaco.
He did not deliver much at Subi or at Etihad.
Will RL drop Eddy for Subi next Sunday?

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.

If you are not engaging AI actively and aggressively, you are doing it wrong.
You are not going to lose your job to AI.
You are going lose your job to somebody who uses AI.
Your company is not going to go out of business because of AI.
Your company is going to go out of business because another company used AI.
- Jensen Huang, CEO of NVIDIA
BAM! (shhhh)
SS Hall of Fame

Quick 101 for a lady who was sitting behind me on Friday night:

Jarryn Geary is #14.

A couple of times she laid into Geary for not working hard enough.

On one occasion, Geary was nowhere near the ball.
On another occasion, Robert Eddy had the ball - I don't think Geary was even on the ground.
On a third occasion, Geary was indeed right around the contest. I thought he was going okay in that instance, but he neither won a possession nor laid a tackle, so that could just be subjective.

What isn't subjective is that Jarryn Geary is #14.

FWIW, Geary didn't really do any turnover per se (0 clangers), won 6 of his 13 possessions in a contest, laid 5 tackles and got himself 2 clearances. Solid, unspectacular performance.

If he could lift his kicking from barely adequate to average, he'd be a great player.

"Everything comes to he who hustles while he waits"
- Henry Ford
rexy
SS Life Member

I like Geary and agree with those who liken him to Bakes, he has an uncomprimising attack on the ball and is quick over a short distance, he is not a spectacular user of the footy but takes the first, safest and easiest of options on most occasions which assists him to compensate for this.

Will he hold his spot though? He seems to come in as a defensive change, Ie Dawson, Clarke, Fisher out he has played, Eddy on the other hand seems to come in for a forward/mid out, Ie Gram, Heyne even Kosi in the past.

If Dawson is back this week does that mean that Geary is the one who makes way? Highly possible IMO.

Maybe this year?
IluvHarvey
SS Life Member

Moccha wrote:
Maybe if there was a thread about them this might be brought up. But this thread is about Geary so his poor disposal has been brought up.

"It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress."
Moccha
Saintsational Legend

IluvHarvey wrote:
Moccha wrote:
Maybe if there was a thread about them this might be brought up. But this thread is about Geary so his poor disposal has been brought up.
OK then how many times did Geary turn it over with poor disposal and if he didn't turn it over how many times did he have poor disposal to a team mate?

Another opportunity awaits!
borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

I may be dim, but why would you return Dawson this week on his form? He should return via Zandringham, and only after he has played some decent football. I would promote Simpkin and give him a go before Dawson.

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

borderbarry wrote:I may be dim, but why would you return Dawson this week on his form? He should return via Zandringham, and only after he has played some decent football. I would promote Simpkin and give him a go before Dawson.
That depends on who is rating his form barry.

Some on here say he's totally out of it whilst others think he's going okay.

However his only chance of playing for Sandy is if Ross thinks he's out of form.

And on that we can only speculate. :?

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

borderbarry wrote:I may be dim, but why would you return Dawson this week on his form? He should return via Zandringham, and only after he has played some decent football. I would promote Simpkin and give him a go before Dawson.
Perhaps some are placing to much emphasis on individual form, rather than his importance to structure?

I certainly did, and I'd prefer Pav to get to know Jason Blake as the guy drifting off his opponent and spoiling his party everytime he makes a marking attempt against Zac.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

millarsaint wrote:Will develop into a tough brave player I reckon. Coming along very nicely at only 21.
i think someone's already said this, but he looks like a little steven baker to me.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

zac will be back. set him a hard challenge and he will rise to the occasion.

personally i'd elevate walsh with a long term view to one of the bookends. we need someone to put some pressure on the incumbents to perform.

unfortunately, they won't promote him unless they think he's going to play ... as his wage has to go into the salary cap.

older saint
SS Life Member

StPeter wrote:I thought Geary looked good. As usual there were 21 players in our side better than Eddy.
So Eddy is the new whipping biy seeing Raph has played a couple games. Eddy gave a good contest across half forward and won his own ball a couple crucial times inthe 2nd quarter. He will never be a star but contributed forward pressure and pace across half forward. Will that keep him in not sure but look at how he did his role not how many touches he had.

dcstkfc
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote:
millarsaint wrote:Will develop into a tough brave player I reckon. Coming along very nicely at only 21.
i think someone's already said this, but he looks like a little steven baker to me.
Good call, I think this is where we see him going long-term, to the back pocket. Perhaps a waste of some talent but if he does a good job there then that's one stalwart replaced for the future.

Now we've got to work on Lenny, Blakey and Roo... :cry: (although Rhys lightning could be the man for the job there)

STRENGTH THROUGH LOYALTY.

‎''I still get really excited, and I've got the '66 thing up on the wall in a frame … You look at it and think: one day, we want to achieve that.''- Arryn Siposs
saintly
Saintsational Legend

liked his game again last night. played pretty well