Dogs better list than Saints....Darcy/Walls...

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Dogs better list than Saints....Darcy/Walls...

I could care less to be honest - we have the 23rd man Ross Lyon but whats your thoughts?

Pound for pound, talent wise is the Dogs list better than St Kilda?

For a start....Im not sure their midfield has an equal in terms of consistency to Hayes....sure they have the better fullback....but do they have better half backs than Fisher/Gilbert?....a utility like Goddard?

Do they have better small fwds? betters CHF?....hmmmm

Im not so sure..

“Yeah….nah””
OneEyedSainter77
SS Life Member

NFW

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Never do I see list for list comparisons, they just shoot from the hip with nothing to back it up.

I'd be interested if someone could line up the sides, and I'd back us now for sure, especially with the drop in form of some of their players that were in their best 22 last year (Aker, Eagleton, Hahn)
Last edited by SainterK on Mon 05 Jul 2010 11:10pm, edited 1 time in total.

lurker#134
Club Player

Surely they must be joking or high or both. Our players AND gameplan beat the doggies any day.

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

I also couldn't care less.

In the end it's all about winning flags. I'd rather win the thing with the 5th or 6th best list than fail with the 1st or 2nd.

And if the Dogs have got a better list than us then they're not doing too well with it are they!

dcstkfc
Saintsational Legend

The way I see it:

We have a better top 8

They have a better next 20 odd

So they have better depth but can't handle our stars and gameplan

STRENGTH THROUGH LOYALTY.

‎''I still get really excited, and I've got the '66 thing up on the wall in a frame … You look at it and think: one day, we want to achieve that.''- Arryn Siposs
Milan Faletic
Saintsational Legend

Heard that too and feel the same way. Not even worth dignifying.

It really is one week at a time for these journos.

Bulldogs lose by 3 points and they are written off.

All of a sudden, Adelaide and Hawthorn are the wonder teams....this week.

Quartermain was like a little boy talking about Hawthorn.
Last edited by Milan Faletic on Mon 05 Jul 2010 11:14pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thinline
Saintsational Legend

Hypothetically, without their list in front of me, Bulldogs I'd have:

Boyd, Picken, Cooney, Griffen, Lake and Hall (so howl me down 8-) ).

Of them, in our current CAPITAL T TEAM I'd only probably find room for Cooney, Lake and Boyd. Hally might have made a decent stopgap for Roo...;)

There's something intrinsically a bit selfish and in front of the ball about em.

"The inches we need are everywhere around us. They're in every break in the game. Every minute, every second. On this team we fight for that inch. On this team we tear ourselves and everyone around us to pieces for that inch. We claw with our fingernails for that inch. Because we know when we add up all those inches that's gonna make the f***in' difference between winning and losing! Between living and dying!'
AlpineStars
Club Player

Teams have worked the bulldogs out a bit, Gia and Gilbee getting tagged their best 2 users of the ball. When these two are quiet so are the Dogs.

Our list is better.

Wake me up when September ends.
bigred
Saintsational Legend

There's something intrinsically a bit selfish and in front of the ball about em.
Agreed.

And they have a few, who have a terrible work ethic. Including a recent brownlow medallist.

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

I agree with them, the Dogs have a better list, but we have a better team.

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
Milan Faletic
Saintsational Legend

Bernard Shakey wrote:I agree with them, the Dogs have a better list, but we have a better team.
Like it.

Thinline
Saintsational Legend

Milan Faletic wrote:
Bernard Shakey wrote:I agree with them, the Dogs have a better list, but we have a better team.
Like it.
'cause never a truer word was spoken.

"The inches we need are everywhere around us. They're in every break in the game. Every minute, every second. On this team we fight for that inch. On this team we tear ourselves and everyone around us to pieces for that inch. We claw with our fingernails for that inch. Because we know when we add up all those inches that's gonna make the f***in' difference between winning and losing! Between living and dying!'
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Thinline wrote:
Milan Faletic wrote:
Like it.
'cause never a truer word was spoken.
Nah, I'll raise you, better list and better team. :wink:

Richter
SS Life Member

Does anybody remember back in 2004-5. People were saying how we had the most talented young list in the comp. We were bound to tear it up with a list bearing young emerging stars like Roo, Kosi, Ball, X, Goose, Dal etc.

Fast forward a few years. Last Sunday on the radio I heard Dal Santo say this
We know that we aren't the most talented list in the comp so we need to work harder than other teams in order to get the results we want
I was absolutely amazed to hear this. Nick Dal Santo is probably in the top 5 most skilled players in this competition and he espoused the most fervently held belief that only hard work can get you results. That is the mark of Ross Lyon. He doesn't just say this stuff. He believes it and most importantly of all he makes the players believe it.

For mine we are the most talented list in the comp.

Roo is the most talented CHF. Dal and BJ in the top 4 most talented mids (along with Ablett and Judd). Joey is an elite mid runner, and Gram A-. Lenny Hayes is the number 1 tough inside mid in the comp. Sam Fisher is an elite backman. Gilbert is not far off that. The defence as a whole is streaks ahead of the rest.

But most importantly in RL we have a coach who has elevated work ethic above all else - it's the trait that will allow these devastingly talented boys to finally realise their talent.

Hird... The unflushable one is now... just a turd...
stinger
Saintsational Legend

Re: Dogs better list than Saints....Darcy/Walls...

Teflon wrote:I could care less to be honest - we have the 23rd man Ross Lyon but whats your thoughts?

Pound for pound, talent wise is the Dogs list better than St Kilda?

For a start....Im not sure their midfield has an equal in terms of consistency to Hayes....sure they have the better fullback....but do they have better half backs than Fisher/Gilbert?....a utility like Goddard?

Do they have better small fwds? betters CHF?....hmmmm

Im not so sure..

i don't think so....more of our players would get a game with the dogs than vice versa......

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Richter wrote:Does anybody remember back in 2004-5. People were saying how we had the most talented young list in the comp. We were bound to tear it up with a list bearing young emerging stars like Roo, Kosi, Ball, X, Goose, Dal etc.

We know that we aren't the most talented list in the comp so we need to work harder than other teams in order to get the results we want
I was absolutely amazed to hear this. Nick Dal Santo is probably in the top 5 most skilled players in this competition and he espoused the most fervently held belief that only hard work can get you results. That is the mark of Ross Lyon. He doesn't just say this stuff. He believes it and most importantly of all he makes the players believe it.

Roo is the most talented CHF. Dal and BJ in the top 4 most talented mids (along with Ablett and Judd). Joey is an elite mid runner, and Gram A-. Lenny Hayes is the number 1 tough inside mid in the comp. Sam Fisher is an elite backman. Gilbert is not far off that. The defence as a whole is streaks ahead of the rest.

But most importantly in RL we have a coach who has elevated work ethic above all else - it's the trait that will allow these devastingly talented boys to finally realise their talent.
A truly good post.

Without opening old debates...lets not.....its why I was wrapped when we appointed Lyon and was such a strong supporter even when he was copping the "he just rips off Sydney".....from many on here....

Lyon sees footy as he played it - tough, uncompromising but all about hard work over "flash"....its also why I suspect Hardwick at Richmond will do ok....compared to Terry Tan Wallace.

“Yeah….nah””
kosifantutti23
SS Hall of Fame

Don't forget we had all those high draft picks running around on Sunday.

Riewoldt
Kosi
Ball
Clarke

Furtius Quo Rdelious
Quixote
SS Life Member

Perception is always 6 months behind reality in AFL.

The Dogs are seriously on the slide, and I personally wouldn't be surprised to see them finish outside the 8 next season. If not this.

I reckon they're GAWN.

Fortius Quo Fidelius Yo
saintly
Saintsational Legend

Richter wrote:Does anybody remember back in 2004-5. People were saying how we had the most talented young list in the comp. We were bound to tear it up with a list bearing young emerging stars like Roo, Kosi, Ball, X, Goose, Dal etc.

some of the radio commentators have been syaing that we don't have the best list. they have been syaing it most of the year now. not sure why its suddenly changed from last 2 years when we did have one of the most talented lists.

spert
Saintsational Legend

The Dogs appear to have players with excellent foot and hand skills, but in the end, they have promised a lot and never delivered when it counts. The best TEAMS are what it's really about, not a lot of show-ponies and front-runners which I suggest is where the Dogs are at compared to us.

chook23
Saintsational Legend

spert wrote:The Dogs appear to have players with excellent foot and hand skills, but in the end, they have promised a lot and never delivered when it counts. The best TEAMS are what it's really about, not a lot of show-ponies and front-runners which I suggest is where the Dogs are at compared to us.
Had not realised we had delivered compared to Dogs.

saint4life
samoht
Saintsational Legend
Location: https://www.amazon.com.au/Fugitive-Sold ... B00EO1GCNK

Harbrow always seems to have his year high stats against us (around 40 running possessions).. if we somehow manage to keep him down to his yearly average game (about 20 possessions) we would beat them by another 5 goals.

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

Always thought teams win games not lists.

Swans 2005 was not the most talented list in the League, probably WCE Saints and Geelong miles better.

Who won the flag?

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
Moods
Saintsational Legend

It's really a non event. Saints have more players who play 'roles' rather than star. Doggies are a bit more free flowing, so it looks llike they are more talented. Could there be a more subjective argument? I recall looking at the two lists in the GF last year and had to look away. I just couldn't see how we could possibly get close to the cats let alone win the game with all their stars. Fact is, we should have won that game and probably played better for the majority of the game.

The problem is - How do you a judge a list?