Our last 6 games just happen to be...

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Our last 6 games just happen to be...

Sides that could all be still trying desperately to play finals....

Hawthorn, Essendon, Port, North, Richmond, Adelaide.

People have said our run home is soft, and while I am confident of our boys putting in a good showing, I'd almost rather play sides that have long since secured a good ladder position than those who still may be hovering for one of the last spots.

It's quite strange it's worked out that way, and will at least ensure our boys arrive to September on the back of some tough matches.

OneEyedSainter77
SS Life Member

Hawthorn yes - Essendon are a rabble at the moment, Port are even worse, North yes - RICHMOND?!!! they've won three in a row sure but pushing for a finals spot.... hardly?! Adelaide, yes.

I'd say three and three.

We really should beat them all though, no excuses from here.

I don't think our draw is that soft - but playing five games in a row at Etihad is nice and cushy for us. That's almost Collingwood-esque... so we better bloody make the most of it!

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

If you agree Adelaide are a chance, so are Port and Essendon who sit on the same amount of wins.

Not looking for excuses, it's a good thing, because we will arrive to the finals hopefully on the back of some good challenges. :)

OneEyedSainter77
SS Life Member

So they are... still Adelaide are a good side that should have been in the finals this year (they were for me pre-season)

They have probably the best draw of the teams fighting for a finals place and are not far behind at the moment. but Essendon and Port are in an aboslute rut at the moment which is why I don't rate them.

HOWEVER, both are our bogey teams. We need to defeat them if we are going to finish top two, simple as that. Bury that DAMN bogey!!!!

Wrote for Luck
Club Player

Nearly any team you play toward the end of the season will have something to play for.
Be it for a top four or to secure finals or to get into finals. It's all pretty desparate.
Fringe players in teams sure to play finals are interesting to watch.
For us from now it will be very competative between the likes of Gears, Eddy, Steven, Peake, Dempster, Dawson, Raph, Armo.
Good times for supporters I reckon.

Pills 'n' Thrills and Heartaches
St.Rob8
Club Player

Yeah, this thread strives hard for a glass half empty view, but fails to deliver it. Anyway you look at it the run home is pretty good.

Reality is that top 8 is pretty settled with the exception of North who may sneek in at the expense of Swans. Everyone below North is 2 games and heaps of percentage outside. Not impossible, but simply won't happen if history is any guide. If you have only won 5 games out of 14, which is max all teams below North have won, you'd need to win 7 out of 8 to get to 12 wins, which is borderline Top 8. Can't see it happening.

Saints for Premiers.

saint66au
Saintsational Legend

St.Rob8 wrote:Yeah, this thread strives hard for a glass half empty view, but fails to deliver it. Anyway you look at it the run home is pretty good.

Reality is that top 8 is pretty settled with the exception of North who may sneek in at the expense of Swans. Everyone below North is 2 games and heaps of percentage outside. Not impossible, but simply won't happen if history is any guide. If you have only won 5 games out of 14, which is max all teams below North have won, you'd need to win 7 out of 8 to get to 12 wins, which is borderline Top 8. Can't see it happening.

Saints for Premiers.
This

Gotta look at % as well as games....and everyone below North (and even North) have dreadful percentage. At this stage of the season even a 10 goal win wont move your % that much

Anyone below North would have to seriously smash all the sides they beat to make up the gap

Oh and hark back to that game in 2005 just shown on TV this arvo. Round 22, we were cemented into a final at AAMI the following week, so rested Gehrig and Goose. Brisbane were playing for a finals spot, so had everything to play for.

Saints by 138 points 8-)

THE BUBBLE HAS BURST

2011 player sponsor
OneEyedSainter77
SS Life Member

saint66au wrote:
St.Rob8 wrote:Yeah, this thread strives hard for a glass half empty view, but fails to deliver it. Anyway you look at it the run home is pretty good.

Saints for Premiers.
This

Gotta look at % as well as games....and everyone below North (and even North) have dreadful percentage. At this stage of the season even a 10 goal win wont move your % that much

Anyone below North would have to seriously smash all the sides they beat to make up the gap

Oh and hark back to that game in 2005 just shown on TV this arvo. Round 22, we were cemented into a final at AAMI the following week, so rested Gehrig and Goose. Brisbane were playing for a finals spot, so had everything to play for.

Saints by 138 points 8-)
That's not the point of the thread though. I think what K is trying to say is we will be getting a better challenge heading into the finals than we did last year.

Last year the last four rounds we played a pathetic hawthorn team who had a chance of making finals but frankly didn't deserve it and were pitiful agains us, an Essendon side who had a chance to make finals also - I'll concede that was a good test and we didn't win. North and Melbourne who had NOTHING to play for.

this year, even if it is only three of our last six, we'll have some teams with a little more than pride on the line which is a better lead into the finals series.

But I think lead into a finals series is overrated.

You don't need to be challeneged on the eve of the finals to make an impression.

Moods
Saintsational Legend

At the moment most of the clubs mentioned appear in finals contention - just. By the time we play them, which is from Rd 18 onwards, most of them will be out of contention, as they will have dropped a couple of games.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Re: Our last 6 games just happen to be...

SainterK wrote:
Sides that could all be still trying desperately to play finals....

It's quite strange it's worked out that way, and will at least ensure our boys arrive to September on the back of some tough matches.
Not sure how playing a group with only one top 8 team in it could be considered a tough run home......

..yes for some their season is still live. But only the Hawks would consider themselves a possible real finals threat this year.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
StSteven
Club Player

Would have liked a tougher run home with some MCG games in there.

Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

I'll make the call now, only one of those teams will play finals.

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

OneEyedSainter77 wrote:
saint66au wrote:

Saints for Premiers.
This

Saints by 138 points 8-)
That's not the point of the thread though. I think what K is trying to say is we will be getting a better challenge heading into the finals than we did last year.

Last year the last four rounds we played a pathetic hawthorn team who had a chance of making finals but frankly didn't deserve it and were pitiful agains us, an Essendon side who had a chance to make finals also - I'll concede that was a good test and we didn't win. North and Melbourne who had NOTHING to play for.

this year, even if it is only three of our last six, we'll have some teams with a little more than pride on the line which is a better lead into the finals series.

But I think lead into a finals series is overrated.

You don't need to be challeneged on the eve of the finals to make an impression.
That is kind of what I was trying to say...

bozza1980
Club Player

SainterK wrote:Sides that could all be still trying desperately to play finals....

People have said our run home is soft, and while I am confident of our boys putting in a good showing, I'd almost rather play sides that have long since secured a good ladder position than those who still may be hovering for one of the last spots.

You are right at Round 14 Essendon, Port, Richmond and Adelaide still have mathematical claims.

By the time we hit Port, Richmond and Adelaide they'll need a dodgy accountant to come up with an equation that sees them play finals.

That said using the Mick Malthouse whinge, each of these sides (apart from Hawthorn) will see their game with us as their Grand Final.

If we don't win 5 of those games we will be disapointed, but we'll start favourite in, and should win each of them.

Life is very short and there's no time for fussing and fighting my friends.
markp
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:Sides that could all be still trying desperately to play finals....

Good!

I love watching us crush the hopes and dreams of others.

bozza1980
Club Player

markp wrote:

Good!

I love watching us crush the hopes and dreams of others.
Gold!! :lol:

Life is very short and there's no time for fussing and fighting my friends.
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Still maintain we have a tougher run home than we anticipated, not that it's a bad thing, just didn't seem like it on paper.

Hawks, Richmond, Adelaide....especially, playing good footy.

DownAtTheJunction
Club Player

Not sure that Adelaide agrees with that judgment after beating the Cats. The Crows have now won 5 of their last 6, and have very winnable games against Port and Richmond in their next 2. They could give us a real finals tune up in Round 22.