we kicked to riewoldt too often, says ross

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

we kicked to riewoldt too often, says ross

http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/ ... fault.aspx

[quote]“Clearly he (Riewoldt) makes us a better team but I thought we kicked to him way too often early.â€

saint66au
Saintsational Legend

..and when we did kick it to him our disposal was often awful

Jack Steven should have been dragged for his 25m pass to Roo under no pressure that landed a foot in front of him. Was the first time he'd really had a chance to mark on the lead and most suburban footballers could have hit him lace out. Awful service I hope Roo favoured him with a skippers glare at some point. Unfortunately its indicitive of our entries inside 50 over the last few weeks, especially early in the game. We dominate in general play then totally ruin it when the ball goes inside 50

THE BUBBLE HAS BURST

2011 player sponsor
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

saint66au wrote:..and when we did kick it to him our disposal was often awful

Jack Steven should have been dragged for his 25m pass to Roo under no pressure that landed a foot in front of him. Was the first time he'd really had a chance to mark on the lead and most suburban footballers could have hit him lace out. Awful service I hope Roo favoured him with a skippers glare at some point. Unfortunately its indicitive of our entries inside 50 over the last few weeks, especially early in the game. We dominate in general play then totally ruin it when the ball goes inside 50
Which proves inside 50 stats are one of the most useless when assessing the form of forwards.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:

Which proves inside 50 stats are one of the most useless when assessing the form of forwards.
all you can ask of forwards is that they make the most of their opportunities. even if it is coming in haphazardly, good ones will find a way.

rooey could have had four or five last night if he'd worn his kicking boots.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

all you can ask of forwards is that they make the most of their opportunities. even if it is coming in haphazardly, good ones will find a way.

rooey could have had four or five last night if he'd worn his kicking boots.
Rooy is the best player in the AFL. Pretty sure most other forwards in any club arent as good as him.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:Rooy is the best player in the AFL. Pretty sure most other forwards in any club arent as good as him.
i tend to agree, but ever since the days of lockett i've been wary of us relying too much on any one player. i'm glad to see that ross appears to be thinking along similar lines with his comments.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote:
plugger66 wrote:Rooy is the best player in the AFL. Pretty sure most other forwards in any club arent as good as him.
i tend to agree, but ever since the days of lockett i've been wary of us relying too much on any one player. i'm glad to see that ross appears to be thinking along similar lines with his comments.
Maybe Rooy on the wing would solve that problem.

saint66au
Saintsational Legend

I think the players understandably wanted him to get some early touches to allay his nerves. Kicking at his toes or over 6 ft over his head doesnt achieve that though

THE BUBBLE HAS BURST

2011 player sponsor
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
bigcarl wrote:
:lol: i knew you would come around eventually.

i actually favour playing him deep with kosi at chf and milne, schneider, steven and mini feeding off the crumbs.

but if it is not working on any particular day, wing isn't such a bad idea. :wink:

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
bigcarl wrote:

i actually favour playing him deep with kosi at chf and milne, schneider, steven and mini feeding off the crumbs.

but if it is not working on any particular day, wing isn't such a bad idea. :wink:
What happened to Kosi in the ruck and Stanley in the forward line?

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
bigcarl wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
bigcarl wrote:

Stanley hasn't kicked enough goals. My thinking changes. You've got to be flexible.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
bigcarl wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
bigcarl wrote:

Stanley hasn't kicked enough goals. My thinking changes. You've got to be flexible.
Doesnt seem to effect RL. He is as flexible as concrete. I rather be predictable than flexible.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:Doesnt seem to effect RL. He is as flexible as concrete. I rather be predictable than flexible.
i'd rather be a bit of both. if it isn't broken don't fix it. if it isn't working, then fix it FFS.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote:
plugger66 wrote:Doesnt seem to effect RL. He is as flexible as concrete. I rather be predictable than flexible.
i'd rather be a bit of both. if it isn't broken don't fix it. if it isn't working, then fix it FFS.
34 out of 40. Its working.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
bigcarl wrote:
i know.

it's a great era for the club that deserves a premiership.

but if, on a given day, we are not kicking goals ... make a move.

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
bigcarl wrote:
0 flags.

rexy
SS Life Member

saint66au wrote:I think the players understandably wanted him to get some early touches to allay his nerves. Kicking at his toes or over 6 ft over his head doesnt achieve that though
Spot on, everyone wanted to be the one to bring him into the game, If we had BJ to hit him on the tit early it would have settled him much more quickly IMO, you could actually see him saying to the guys, you dont have to kick to me, settle down and pick your options. Gee I thought first up from a 3 month lay off he really worked into the game, 5 shots on goal is a great return IMO.

Maybe this year?
SteveStevens66
Club Player

plugger66 wrote:Which proves inside 50 stats are one of the most useless when assessing the form of forwards.
A truer statement was never made. The 50 meter arc and the stats that go with it are an entirely artificial construct with no foundation whatsoever. It is old wine in new bottles. They used to just call it the "forward line" and the only stat that counted was the score that resulted from getting it in there. And guess what? It still does.

Carna Saints!!!
midas_touch
Club Player

Re: we kicked to riewoldt too often, says ross

bigcarl wrote:
If we're going to him too often and not getting the rewards on the board, move him to wing or half back or on the ball.
And what would this accomplish?

Roo is a forward, simple as that.

Trust the Midas Touch

"My heart is at St.Kilda, I've been here seven years, I only wanted to play for them." (Fraser Gehrig, 27/11/2007)
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Re: we kicked to riewoldt too often, says ross

midas_touch wrote:
bigcarl wrote:
If we're going to him too often and not getting the rewards on the board, move him to wing or half back or on the ball.
And what would this accomplish?

Roo is a forward, simple as that.
roo is a footballer. a great footballer. one of the best i've seen. fully fit and match conditioned he'd be a sensation on the wing or at chb.

but you seem to be missing my point, which is that if we go to him every time and it is not showing on the scoreboard, we need to be flexible.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Inside 50 targets for the night...

McEvoy 2
Patto 2
Roo 12
Milne 4
Schneider 3
Gardi 4

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:Inside 50 targets for the night...

McEvoy 2
Patto 2
Roo 12
Milne 4
Schneider 3
Gardi 4
thanks for those K. you are pretty good on the stats.

so we went to riewoldt 12 times and to other options 15 times.

nearly half the times we went inside 50 ... and he played only 70 per cent game time (i think?).

maybe we look to milne more often. he really stood up during roo's absence and almost counts as a key position player in terms of goals scored.

he's proving all his critics wrong. all that he needs to settle the issue once and for all is a norm smith medal and a premiership medallion.

christ i'd like to see that. wouldn't it shut a few mouths.

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

Please forgive my naivete on this, but if our F50 entries are being delivered from the middle of the ground (or further back) isn't it logical to assume that a large number of them are going to be directed at the best marking half forward who is leading at the player with the footy?

Surely the 'kick it to roo stat' is simply a reflection of where we choose to attempt to go inside 50 from?

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Mr Magic wrote:Please forgive my naivete on this, but if our F50 entries are being delivered from the middle of the ground (or further back) isn't it logical to assume that a large number of them are going to be directed at the best marking half forward who is leading at the player with the footy?
sure, if he is one out and it is working on the day.

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote:
Mr Magic wrote:Please forgive my naivete on this, but if our F50 entries are being delivered from the middle of the ground (or further back) isn't it logical to assume that a large number of them are going to be directed at the best marking half forward who is leading at the player with the footy?
sure, if he is one out and it is working on the day.
If he's a stationary target and has 2-3 opponents 'all over him', then I would agree it doesn't make sense to direct the footy to him.

But if he is leading, surely the plyer up the ground will automatically kick it to him, because he will mark it more often or not?