Final ladder permutations

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Superboot
SS Life Member

Final ladder permutations

Just did a ladder predictor and had us finishing 3rd and playing Geelong in the 1st final.

Win that then we are well on the way, but lose that, then we'd play Hawthorn (probably) the following week for the right to play Collingwood (most likely) in the Prelim. Pretty tough.

Raises questions about the forthcoming Bulldogs-Geelong game and who we might want to win. As long as we win the last 3 games (no certainty, by the way), three big wins to the Bulldogs could see us playing them rather than Geelong in the first final.

Thoughts?

markp
Saintsational Legend

Trying to work out ladder permutations gives me a headache.

Cats could well slip to 4th, and we face the Dogs week 1.

We'll need to beat the best to win the flag.

We can.

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

markp wrote:Trying to work out ladder permutations gives me a headache.

Cats could even slip to 4th, and we may face the Dogs week 1.

We can.
Don't really care as long as we're top 4.

All of the other 3 can be beat us, or be beaten by us, on any given day.

markp
Saintsational Legend

Dr Spaceman wrote:

We can.

Yep.

I'm worried about injuries at this stage, and little else.

I think we're going to absolutely explode onto this final series, and catch everyone a little off guard.

Bring it on!

Badlands
Club Player

I've accepted that we'll almost certainly meet the cats in Wk 1.
Not ideal, but as has been stated, we need to beat the best to go all the way, might as well get a tough one out of the way up front.

Personally, and I know some may think this crazy, I'd fancy playing the Pies over both the Dogs and Cats come finals. But this would require us to drop to 4th and frankly, I want us to charge into the finals on the back of four very impressive wins. Just bring on whoever.

"I'm in the middle of a long conversation with my audience. It'll be a lifelong journey for both of us by the time we're done." - Bruce Springsteen.
IluvHarvey
SS Life Member

Re: Final ladder permutations

Superboot wrote:Just did a ladder predictor and had us finishing 3rd and playing Geelong in the 1st final.

Win that then we are well on the way, but lose that, then we'd play Hawthorn (probably) the following week for the right to play Collingwood (most likely) in the Prelim. Pretty tough.

Raises questions about the forthcoming Bulldogs-Geelong game and who we might want to win. As long as we win the last 3 games (no certainty, by the way), three big wins to the Bulldogs could see us playing them rather than Geelong in the first final.

Thoughts?
Sounds good to me.
We beat Geelong in week one.
We beat the Bulldogs in a prelim.
Geelong beat the Pies in a Prelim.
We beat Geelong in The Grannie.

I cry for about 30 mins
I drink for about 7 Days

Mrs IluvHarvey gets a tap on the shoulder :wink:

"It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress."
Badlands
Club Player

Re: Final ladder permutations

IluvHarvey wrote: I cry for about 30 mins
I drink for about 7 Days
Hmm funny, that's close to what I did after last year's GF.
Although I think i drank for 30mins and then cried for 7 days.

"I'm in the middle of a long conversation with my audience. It'll be a lifelong journey for both of us by the time we're done." - Bruce Springsteen.
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

markp wrote:
Dr Spaceman wrote:

We can.

Yep.

I think we're going to absolutely explode onto this final series, and catch everyone a little off guard.

Bring it on!
This 8-)

saintly
Saintsational Legend

Badlands wrote:I've accepted that we'll almost certainly meet the cats in Wk 1.
Not ideal, but as has been stated, we need to beat the best to go all the way, might as well get a tough one out of the way up front.

Personally, and I know some may think this crazy, I'd fancy playing the Pies over both the Dogs and Cats come finals. But this would require us to drop to 4th and frankly, I want us to charge into the finals on the back of four very impressive wins. Just bring on whoever.
persoanlly i'd rather play the cats in week1. they are off the boil as much as we are.

we have not played well all year. Including last week.

doubt as toerhs say that come finals all of a sudden we get outr mojo bakc and explode. how could that be possible. are guys meaning to say that Gilbert will sudeenly hit 100% of his targets ? etc

anyway i believe it is better to meet the cats rather then the dogs or magpies. bulldogs and collingwood are in great form

Superboot
SS Life Member

Maybe it's based simply on the GF result, but I'm still more worried about Geelong than any of the others.

How long is it since a team that lost their first final went on the play in the GF?

saint3d
Club Player

Superboot wrote:Maybe it's based simply on the GF result, but I'm still more worried about Geelong than any of the others.

How long is it since a team that lost their first final went on the play in the GF?
In 2006 West Coast lost to Sydney week 1.

Waltzing St Kilda
SS Hall of Fame

Yeah, WCE lost their first final in 2006, the Swans lost their first in 2005, and Brisbane lost their first (to Collingwood) in 2003. Not forgetting Adelaide getting walloped in their first final in '98.

Doesn't mean a team is out of it. Might even run them into form.

Life Long Saint
Saintsational Legend

The bottom line is that we will need to face and beat Geelong, Bulldogs and Collingwood to win the flag. It doesn't really matter about the order.

We've beaten them all through the season and there is no reason that we should be worried about them in a month's time!

If we play our game then we can win it!

Behind Play
Club Player

I am total perplexed at how the media has written us off, talking pies and cats as the only two how can make it.

Only a few weeks ago we beat geelong keeping them goaless for the second half. We have won 2 out of the last three, unfortunately the one we lost was the big one.

Collingwood, which are travelling vey well, beat us for the first time in so many years. We may or may not have had a 100% healthy side.

I wouldn't write us off yet. Alot of football left.

Thinline
Saintsational Legend

Behind Play wrote:I am total perplexed at how the media has written us off, talking pies and cats as the only two how can make it.

Only a few weeks ago we beat geelong keeping them goaless for the second half. We have won 2 out of the last three, unfortunately the one we lost was the big one.

Collingwood, which are travelling vey well, beat us for the first time in so many years. We may or may not have had a 100% healthy side.

2 from 3 against Geelong and the loss was a game in which we were better for the most part and had more scoring shots.

Pies 2 of the last 6 from memory, and both losses we have been 'off'.

Dogs are a different kettle of fish. For mine they remain the biggest threat.

I certainly wouldn't write us off. Far form it. In it up to our necks.

"The inches we need are everywhere around us. They're in every break in the game. Every minute, every second. On this team we fight for that inch. On this team we tear ourselves and everyone around us to pieces for that inch. We claw with our fingernails for that inch. Because we know when we add up all those inches that's gonna make the f***in' difference between winning and losing! Between living and dying!'
Stillwaiting
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:
markp wrote:
Dr Spaceman wrote:

We can.

Yep.

Bring it on!
This 8-)
Sounds good to me.

Don`t think it matters really who we play, the other 3 are good teams, we have to be at our best to beat them and we have to beat them at some point to win a flag

I love this club
Behind Play
Club Player

Thinline wrote:
Behind Play wrote:I am total perplexed at how the media has written us off, talking pies and cats as the only two how can make it.

2 from 3 against Geelong and the loss was a game in which we were better for the most part and had more scoring shots.

I agree the Dogs are my only worry, too

OneEyedSainter77
SS Life Member

Behind Play wrote:
Thinline wrote:

I agree the Dogs are my only worry, too
After watching the Bulldogs in Adelaide on the weekend I am no longer worried about them... Like Geelong or Collingwood if we meet the Bulldogs it will be a tough, contested encounter and a side that plays that style better would have beaten the dogs - if we had've been in the situation Adelaide were in last week, we would've been able to get out of it - hell, we WERE in that position in round 6 and we DID get out of it...

All with Barry Hall still in the team. Nup, not worried about the Dogs, much more concerned about the Pies and Cats.

FWIW, I think just quietly, that we will win the flag though....

Just quietly.

degruch
Saintsational Legend

Doggies supposedly being hit by a virus this week, could they drop a few? Certainly, we seem to have recovered from a few illnesses first reported a month ago, so bad timing for WB if true.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Ladder predictors are for those who get 8 every week. I aint one of them.

3:16
Club Player

Plan has always been to finish anywhere in the top four, won't matter whom we play, if where on top of our game, we'll win!!!!!

Geelong = not the happiest place in the world right now (player harmony not what it should be)!!!!!

Collingwood= no real serious threat to us (when we're on our game) Let'em dream, taking the heat off us ( blokes like: Davis, Thomas, Cloke & Leigh Brown, will not get a touch in finals), Ball still can not hit a target and the reason Swan gets it alot, is that he's kicking doesn't hurt the opponent, so they put time into young nobbie(Pendlebury) instead!!!!!

As for Didak, free to roam last time, will have Bakes to worry about next time, expect to see his kicks (if he gets any) from about Row J, cause he'll be running tha wide!!!!!

Bulldogs= not a serious challenger (career bridesmaids)!!!!!

If we play to our potential, we'll win it, put it this way, that person whom put $500,000 on us, is very confident and very well in the know!!!!!

Balls ( not Luke)strongly in our court, won't make the same mistake twice!!!!!

"Cause Stone Cold said so"!!!!!

Shane Birss in 2008- Go the Pircha!!!!! RIP
Jarryn Geary-MIP in 2010!!!!!
Armitage=2010 SuperStar!!!!! (Luke Who)?????
degruch
Saintsational Legend

3:16 wrote:If we play to our potential, we'll win it, put it this way, that person whom put $500,000 on us, is very confident and very well in the know!!!!!
Matty Primus?

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

3:16 wrote:Plan has always been to finish anywhere in the top four, won't matter whom we play, if where on top of our game, we'll win!!!!!

Geelong = not the happiest place in the world right now (player harmony not what it should be)!!!!!

Collingwood= no real serious threat to us (when we're on our game) Let'em dream, taking the heat off us ( blokes like: Davis, Thomas, Cloke & Leigh Brown, will not get a touch in finals), Ball still can not hit a target and the reason Swan gets it alot, is that he's kicking doesn't hurt the opponent, so they put time into young nobbie(Pendlebury) instead!!!!!

As for Didak, free to roam last time, will have Bakes to worry about next time, expect to see his kicks (if he gets any) from about Row J, cause he'll be running tha wide!!!!!

If we play to our potential, we'll win it, put it this way, that person whom put $500,000 on us, is very confident and very well in the know!!!!!

May as well give us the flag then. I dont think it is that simple. Go onother clubs site and they would be saying negatives about us and rightly so. We can win it but 3rd or 4th favourite is where we are at at the moment.

I reckon a player would be in the know more than whoever put 500k on us and if they were allowed to bet and had the money they wouldnt be stupid enough to put that much on side what ever they knew because they also know the other sides are a huge chance.

samoht
Saintsational Legend
Location: https://www.amazon.com.au/Fugitive-Sold ... B00EO1GCNK

If Kosi stands up in the finals and plays to his full potential - we will go all the way.

maybe I should have said IF

3:16
Club Player

plugger66 wrote:
3:16 wrote:Plan has always been to finish anywhere in the top four, won't matter whom we play, if where on top of our game, we'll win!!!!!

May as well give us the flag then. I dont think it is that simple. Go onother clubs site and they would be saying negatives about us and rightly so. We can win it but 3rd or 4th favourite is where we are at at the moment.

I reckon a player would be in the know more than whoever put 500k on us and if they were allowed to bet and had the money they wouldnt be stupid enough to put that much on side what ever they knew because they also know the other sides are a huge chance.
Sorry for the positivity then, hope it doesn't bring you out in a rash!!!!!

You don't have to be smart to play footy, so don't quote player smartness, just check the papers at the moment, to see how smart some of our players are when it comes to social issues!!!!!

I'm happy with our chances, even if your not!!!!!

"Cause Stone Cold said so"!!!!!

Shane Birss in 2008- Go the Pircha!!!!! RIP
Jarryn Geary-MIP in 2010!!!!!
Armitage=2010 SuperStar!!!!! (Luke Who)?????