Dean Laidley

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Burkey 1
Club Player

Dean Laidley

Apologies if this has been mentioned before but I couldn't see it anywhere.

Apparentley is coming back to melbourne, any thoughts on having him join us as an assistant coach, was there anything in Greg Hutchinson & Laidley having a good old chat before last weeks game ???

Personally I think he could be a good backline coach with Harvs coming back as the midfield coach.

#1GILL
SS Hall of Fame

I think he would be a valuable asset as a match-day assistant for Ross.

I've heard that Laidley was a fantastic match-day coach, but let himself down in his research during the week.

We could utilise his ability to get the match-ups right, and read the oppositions tactics.

stinger
Saintsational Legend

#1GILL wrote:I think he would be a valuable asset as a match-day assistant for Ross.

I've heard that Laidley was a fantastic match-day coach, but let himself down in his research during the week.

We could utilise his ability to get the match-ups right, and read the oppositions tactics.

hasn't done much for port it would seem....

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
derby Street
Club Player

On another issue with Laidley. I heard a interview he did a couple of days ago and he was asked who was the best assistant coach he had when he was head coach.

Without hesitation he said Brian Royal. He couldn't understand why he never got a head coach job and said he was outstanding at developing young players. Let's hope he can do just that at the saints.

saintnick12
Club Player

Re: Dean Laidley

Burkey 1 wrote:Apologies if this has been mentioned before but I couldn't see it anywhere.

Apparentley is coming back to melbourne, any thoughts on having him join us as an assistant coach, was there anything in Greg Hutchinson & Laidley having a good old chat before last weeks game ???

Personally I think he could be a good backline coach with Harvs coming back as the midfield coach.
I'm pretty sure he had a general chat with Ross late last year before he took the Port job. Chat was acknowledged publicly by Ross if I recall.

Maybe they will have another friendly chat :wink:

"At the end of the day, a coach and a fitness adviser doesn't make a good football team, they're not the only ones who got us to two Grand Finals." Lenny Hayes. 27/9/2011.
bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

Brian Royal did a great job at Richmond developing players for Wallace....

their skills were amazing...... :lol:

Saints looking like a bottom 4 team in 2024.
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Laidleys a cabbage and highly overrated.

No thanks.

Mark Williams a PREMIERSHIP coach woulda been nice back upfor mine....

“Yeah….nah””
St_Cave
Club Player

Laidley is a very good coach, before he joined the AFL coaching ranks he was coaching my local footy club in Canberra. I'm not sure if he has changed since then but he was a good coach and a very, very angry man. I would not want to be on the end of one of his sprays. I remember vividly one day when the team had a very hard fought loss on a cold, wet and freezing Canberra day. Dean then proceeded to make the players run shuttle runs for an hour or so immediately after the game until every player on the team emptied there guts and couldn't run any more. He brought that team from losing every game for 2 years straight to a semi final in one season. Great tactical coach but wasn't exactly close with the players. Though as I said I have no idea what the guy is like now.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

St_Cave wrote:Laidley is a very good coach, before he joined the AFL coaching ranks he was coaching my local footy club in Canberra. I'm not sure if he has changed since then but he was a good coach and a very, very angry man. I would not want to be on the end of one of his sprays. I remember vividly one day when the team had a very hard fought loss on a cold, wet and freezing Canberra day. Dean then proceeded to make the players run shuttle runs for an hour or so immediately after the game until every player on the team emptied there guts and couldn't run any more. He brought that team from losing every game for 2 years straight to a semi final in one season. Great tactical coach but wasn't exactly close with the players. Though as I said I have no idea what the guy is like now.
weve got tactics.

Deans unbalanced.....clearly. No thanks.

“Yeah….nah””
Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote:
St_Cave wrote:Laidley is a very good coach, before he joined the AFL coaching ranks he was coaching my local footy club in Canberra. I'm not sure if he has changed since then but he was a good coach and a very, very angry man. I would not want to be on the end of one of his sprays. I remember vividly one day when the team had a very hard fought loss on a cold, wet and freezing Canberra day. Dean then proceeded to make the players run shuttle runs for an hour or so immediately after the game until every player on the team emptied there guts and couldn't run any more. He brought that team from losing every game for 2 years straight to a semi final in one season. Great tactical coach but wasn't exactly close with the players. Though as I said I have no idea what the guy is like now.
weve got tactics.

Deans unbalanced.....clearly. No thanks.
Doesn't sound like an AFL coach thesedays. The players are too precious.

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
marksnsparks
Club Player

Laidley - assistant coach
Williams - assistant coach
Worsfold - driving the team coach

Lock it in - gonna happen.

Finna
Club Player

I wouldn't want us to touch laidley or williams.

Would be a big mistake.

Williams has done SFA since 04 and ladileys just done SFA full stop.

They've had their turn and they seem strong characters. There personalities would be detrimental to our club.

We need to improve our coaching team with guys like Brian Royal and SOS (he will be very missed FWIW). Maybe try to pick up a 'Brad Scott' type of assistant.

Oh When The Saints Go Marching In.......
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

What we want is someone with a brain; not an ego. Someone who doesn't want to be No. 1 but wants to help out.

I can't see either Choco or Laidley being willing to take a backseat.

supersaints
Club Player

Laidley is a lunatic, goes off apeshit at the smallest thing. An accute coaching brain though, maybe if we tied him up in a corner?????

And the president said " I did not have sex with that woman"
And our former president said " Football is like golf" 

Go Sainters !!!!!
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

supersaints wrote:Laidley is a lunatic, goes off apeshit at the smallest thing. An accute coaching brain though, maybe if we tied him up in a corner?????
lol.

Makes him sound like a monkey.

Maybe we should get him - bananas are cheap now - we can buy them by the crate load to feed him!

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.