Those outside the 22 that MAY play finals..

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Those outside the 22 that MAY play finals..

We who are outside todays 22 that MAY play finals....ignoring an injury run that is:

Gardiner = definite

Baker: Despite the long lay off Lyon would have to fancy him to take on Johnno in the first final. baker is also the type of hard nut and experienced campaigner that you would want in your finals team. The long lay off will cause some hesitation.

Zac: Structurally Lyon wants a big FB...and in this Zac is the only current option. However do we really need him against the forwards of the Cats, Dogs or Pies?

Steven: Has the knack of kicking goals and arguably helped turn the game against the Cats. Lacks experience but will be in the mix.

Armo: Has missed a lot of football this year unfortunately and so must be underdone. If he is a serious contender for this years finals then I would expect him to be picked for the last two games to test him out and build his form. If not played I would expect him to play no part in the finals unless injury hits. He is probably the east likely of this group to play finals.

Outside of the above group of players it is pretty hard to envisage anyone else getting game in the finals unless injuries hit. Simpkins elevation has him as a "back-up" defender, but Zac will be in front of him. King who is now injured will be emergency back up along with Patto if one of Gardiner or Ben go down.

Who is in, that may come out?

Kosi v Stanley? Despite Kosi not being in the form he was in last year, Lyon is likely to favour hard bodies. Plus in the games to date Stanley has gone missing just as mach as Kosi. Kosi a more mature body than the very lightly built Stanley and offers bash and crash to help bring in the smalls whereas Stanley offers when the ball hits the ground and more pace and chase and potentially more defensive pressure.

Today's Kangas game give Stanley another chance to push for a place and if not to replace Kosi then as a "third" forward. He would need to show a lot more than his previous games though. Another point of interest will be if with Gardiner if Stanley gets some runs in the ruck in the midfield.

Geary: Baker is looming large. Geary has great endeavour, but does use the ball very poorly at times.

Eddy: Is making a late run fora finals berth. Has a finals like mature body and his last game was very good. Has seemed to struggle at winning the ball, but is very good at team play criteria such as tackling, filling space etc.

Dempster: Cops a lot of criticism, but unfairly so in his last few games. can tag or play back and links well. His negative roles often keep his ball tally down though. If Baker comes back though all of Demptser, Geary, Eddy will not play (as in one will make way for him). It could also come down to Zac or Demspter for the 22
(though they are in different positions).

Mini: Last weeks game was a step back in the right direction. Lyon want the Saints to exhibit great forward pressure and Mini at his best is a master of it. He needs to show this again in our last 3 H&A matches. It would also be nice if he could rediscover his goal scoring ability which has been poor this year.

Of this group Kosi and Mini are the two most likely to be playing finals football. The others will be really needing to do very well at achieving the coaches instructions (we we can only guess at).

Peake: earlier in the season I would have had Peake in the fringe group. However in the last few games I have been really impressed with him and believe that he is now really linking and running well in team play. Unless he relapses in the last 3 games IMO he will be playing finals football. In the finals there will be a lot of pressure and having a few players who have the pace to run into HF will be valuable.
Last edited by saintsRrising on Sun 15 Aug 2010 3:20pm, edited 1 time in total.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
FQF
SS Life Member

Re: Those outside the 22 that MAY play finals..

saintsRrising wrote: If Baker comes back though all of Demptser, Geary, Eddy will not play.
That doesn't make much mathematical sense.

I thought Dempster had been put in to play Baker's role, as seen in the Geelong game where he played a role on Stevie J.

It looks like at least one of Dempster Geary and Eddy are safe. With two spots being threatened by Baker and Dawson. But still, neither of those two are certainties either.

If Steven was to come in, Geary Eddy Mini and Peake would be the likely candidates to go out. So too with Armo.

But in terms of that whole group of players, I suspect very minimal changes.

Personally I feel more reassured with Eddy going out there and busting his gut over almost the rest of that group (excluding Baker).

Steven earned himself a lot of credit for his Geelong performance, but before and after that game has failed to impress.

A fit and in form Armo would be a serious benefit. But Ross has never expressed much love for him.

ChicagoSaint
Club Player

BP is a LOCK.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Re: Those outside the 22 that MAY play finals..

FQF wrote:
saintsRrising wrote: If Baker comes back though all of Demptser, Geary, Eddy will not play.
That doesn't make much mathematical sense. .
It does to me.

If Baker comes in all of them will not play as one of this group will be left out for Baker.
FQF wrote:
I thought Dempster had been put in to play Baker's role, as seen in the Geelong game where he played a role on Stevie J.
Well that is why he would be one of the possible outs. Baker however often takes a small when not playing Geelong.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

ChicagoSaint wrote:BP is a LOCK.
I think he now is too.

Lyon clearly flagged pre-season that he believed the team needed more pace and run it it.

Our present Peake is the best option (as in addition to last year) for this and has been playing good football.

Badlands
Club Player

Eddy puts in three more weeks like last week, he will surely play finals. Thought he was great. The challenge for him is to find the consistency to perform at that level.

"I'm in the middle of a long conversation with my audience. It'll be a lifelong journey for both of us by the time we're done." - Bruce Springsteen.
FQF
SS Life Member

Badlands wrote:Eddy puts in three more weeks like last week, he will surely play finals. Thought he was great. The challenge for him is to find the consistency to perform at that level.
If anyone can replicate CJ's efforts in getting where he is now, it would be Eddy.

dcstkfc
Saintsational Legend

Excellent analysis.

I think it'll be Baker for Geary and Gardiner for Stanley.

Steven for Eddy/McQualter also a chance.

STRENGTH THROUGH LOYALTY.

‎''I still get really excited, and I've got the '66 thing up on the wall in a frame … You look at it and think: one day, we want to achieve that.''- Arryn Siposs
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Well post Kangas game:

Stanley again showed he has a future...but Kosi is better in the here and now. With Stanley in the ruck contests he was for example just easily pushed aside by the North rucks. He needs more strength and mass.

Eddy and Geary stay in the mix. Eddy does seem to have improved though.
Geary butchered the ball early on (when North were up and about), but improved as the game went on.

Mini I am afraid is no where near the player he was. His offensive side once good, is now dismal. He just does not hurt the opposition now when he has the chance..and his offensive side is not as good either.

Dempster...not bad, not good.

saintly
Saintsational Legend

how long is a an injured hand to eddy likely to keep him out?

saintkid
Club Player

saintsRrising wrote:Well post Kangas game:

Mini I am afraid is no where near the player he was. His offensive side once good, is now dismal. He just does not hurt the opposition now when he has the chance..and his offensive side is not as good either.

Completely agree. His attack on the ball was woeful today and he is the no.1 passenger in the side. He wouldn't come close to getting a game for Cats or Pies.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

saintkid wrote:

Completely agree. His attack on the ball was woeful today and he is the no.1 passenger in the side. He wouldn't come close to getting a game for Cats or Pies.
Id drop Mini, leave Eddy and Geary in and bring back Baker.

Eddy surely can be the manic fwd pressure assist we need?

“Yeah….nah””
saintkid
Club Player

Teflon wrote:
saintkid wrote:

Id drop Mini, leave Eddy and Geary in and bring back Baker.

Yeah I agree too. All these guys including Steven are ahead of Mini. I thought he would show something today but he had a shocker again.

IluvHarvey
SS Life Member

Teflon wrote: Id drop Mini, leave Eddy and Geary in and bring back Baker.

I disagree, personally I would have Mini before Geary but I don't think Baker will get back in if he is going to miss a few weeks training with a broken foot.

"It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress."
vacuous space
SS Life Member

I wouldn't be touching the forward line right now. They're functioning about as well as they have all season. I don't see any problems with the way any of them are playing.

Gardiner for Stanley is pretty much a certainty for finals. Dawson will probably come in too, though I'm not sure who will miss out. If Baker can get back, he'll probably come in for Dempster. If I were to guess a finals lineup right now, I'd go:

IN: Dawson, Gardiner
OUT: Geary, Stanley

B: Dempster - Dawson - Gwilt
HB: Blake - S. Fisher - Gilbert
C: Gram - Hayes - Jones
HF: Montagna - Riewoldt - Schneider
F: Milne - Koschitzke - McQualter
OB: Gardiner - Goddard - Dal Santo

IC: Eddy - McEvoy - Peake - Ray

Yeah nah pleasing positive
ThePunter
Club Player

Automatic - Gram, Jones, McEvoy, Hayes, Montagna, Riewoldt, Schneider, Goddard, Gilbert, Ray, Koschitzke, S Fisher, Dal Santo, Blake, Gwilt, Milne (16)

In at the moment: Peake, Eddy, Geary, Dempster, McQualter, Stanley

Out at the moment but at least a realistic chance to return: Steven, Armitage, Gardiner, Baker, Dawson

It's probably Peake or Armitage (depends on how RL sees finals footy, but Peake does not deserve to be dropped)

Dempster or Dawson (another structural option)

Geary or Baker

Stanley or Gardiner (not a difficult choice)

Two of Eddy, McQualter and Steven (Right now, I would probably select Eddy and Steven)

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

I just can't see Baker getting back in :(

FQF
SS Life Member

SainterK wrote:I just can't see Baker getting back in :(
He'll be there.

Look at Max Rooke last year.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

FQF wrote:
He'll be there.

Look at Max Rooke this year :?

FQF
SS Life Member

SainterK wrote:
FQF wrote:
He'll be there.

Baker would still be fit, strong and raring to go. A toe/foot injury is not debilitating to other training.

And he's been working overtime in the altitude van... he may be our fittest player come finals.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Cannot have a Back Line which contains
Blake - 191
Dawson - 195
Gwilt - 188
Gilbert - 194
Fisher - 192
Dempster - 192

It would be treacle slowand be carved up by

Didak, Beams, Sidebottom, Davis
Varcoe, Byrnes, Johnson, Stokes
Gia, Higgins, Cooney, Johnson

We will need either Geary, Baker, Gram to play back as at LEAST one small defender.

FQF
SS Life Member

BigMart wrote:Cannot have a Back Line which contains
Blake - 191
Dawson - 195
Gwilt - 188
Gilbert - 194
Fisher - 192
Dempster - 192
Blake, Gwilt, Gilbert and Fisher are definite inclusions.

Dawson verging on likely.

Dempster verging on unlikely.

Assuming we pick the standard 4 plus Dawson, and include either one of Geary, Baker or any other small... we are still a pretty big backline and could get burned by pacey forwards.

Do not underestimate the crucial importance of Baker blanketing the best small forward.

The Doc
Club Player

SainterK wrote:
FQF wrote:
He'll be there.

Look at Max Hudghton last year :cry:

2010 has a nice ring to it.
elphie
Club Player

the bottom 4 = depth?

at the end of the day the pundits think our depth is not as strong as the MAGGIES & CATS. where have we improved here to take us to the big stage in sept.? i am nervous too about our line-up with these players all been named in the prior posts.
is this a cause for concern?

ARMO has not come on as expected to replace BALL for various reasons...

injuries have cost CLARKEs spot and another short...............

J.SMITH & WALSH never made it...yet for the latter

the NAB CUP heros A.SMITH & STANLEY are also not there ..yet

and then there's LOVETT...enough said

have we improved enough relative to COLL....saY?
OR don't we have to get better and just try & match last years finals efforts!
any comments?

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Re: the bottom 4 = depth?

elphie wrote:
ARMO has not come on as expected to replace BALL for various reasons...
Ball's spot has gone to Peake...ie more run
elphie wrote:
injuries have cost CLARKEs spot and another short...............
Yes Raph is a loss..especially as he plays well in finals.
elphie wrote: any comments?
1/ J Smith was a wildcard that has not come off. however he was not here last year either.

2/ Lyon flagged last year he wanted more run and spread. Swapping Peake for Ball has achieved this.

3/ Ben in the form he is in now, is better than King was in the finals last year (remember that King was carrying a shoulder injury then..so was almost one armed)....so Ben is an upgrade.

4/ Gwilt is a much better player than he was last year.

5/ However Raph being out is a negative.

6/ Schneider has stepped up this year and now also plays midfield.

7/ Baker may be called upon after a 9 week lay off...

8/ Main negatives issues for me are that we are not working at the level we did last year (this is fixable)...and that Pies in particular have taken some of our advantage by aping parts of our gameplan.

IMO we are in with a real crack this year. I believe Lyon and Misson are focussing on getting us to peak in the finals......

Aiding this is that Roo who missed 9 weeks..and gram who missed 8 weeks in total are both now just running into match fitness and form.

What we need is for the balance of the team to get their workrate and crsipness back. How much this is currently affected by any loading is anyones guess..