Building towards September !!

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Middo
Club Player

Building towards September !!

Have a good feeling that everything is heading in the right direction as we approach the finals.I get a sense the boy's are ready to take up the challenge with everybody prepared to do what's best for the team !!!

Jack Newnes happy to be a Saint !!!! PS and to hit a target !!!
saint patrick
Saintsational Legend

Agree Middo..timing is everything ! :twisted:

Never take a backward step even to gain momentum.....

'It's OK to have the capabilities and abilities, but you've got to get it done." Terry Daniher 05

"We have beauty in our captain and we have a true leader in our coach. Our time will come"
Thinline.Post 09 Grand final.
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

and I agree with you both :)

yipper
SS Life Member

No doubt in my mind that Rossy and the coaching team decided that we needed to be in top form in September this year, as opposed to when we were flying for the first 15-19 rounds last season.

He has ensured our structures have held firm over the season and that we won games even tho we were not in peak form. Now the players are throwing off the shackles and coming into some serious form. And it is August 16th - this time we have the timing right, the list is fit and we are hungry. And the bloke who plays at CHF wearing no.12 looks like he has some unfinished business. He looked scarily good yesterday. 12 shots at goal!!! I think 2010 will be a memorable year, very memorable. It is now time. Keep the faith. This is about to get exciting.

I want to stand for something. I'm a loyal person and I think at the end of my career it will be great to look back and know that I'm a St Kilda person for life.
- Nick Riewoldt. May 19th 2009.
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

yipper wrote:No doubt in my mind that Rossy and the coaching team decided that we needed to be in top form in September this year, as opposed to when we were flying for the first 15-19 rounds last season.

He has ensured our structures have held firm over the season and that we won games even tho we were not in peak form. Now the players are throwing off the shackles and coming into some serious form. And it is August 16th - this time we have the timing right, the list is fit and we are hungry. And the bloke who plays at CHF wearing no.12 looks like he has some unfinished business. He looked scarily good yesterday. 12 shots at goal!!! I think 2010 will be a memorable year, very memorable. It is now time. Keep the faith. This is about to get exciting.
I love your optimimism Yipper and I home you're right. F--k I hope you're right but then as I read your post I look at your Avatar and it just looks wrong dude.....

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
yipper
SS Life Member

SaintPav wrote:
yipper wrote:No doubt in my mind that Rossy and the coaching team decided that we needed to be in top form in September this year, as opposed to when we were flying for the first 15-19 rounds last season.

I love your optimimism Yipper and I home you're right. F--k I hope you're right but then as I read your post I look at your Avatar and it just looks wrong dude.....
What?? It is a self portrait!! :D

I want to stand for something. I'm a loyal person and I think at the end of my career it will be great to look back and know that I'm a St Kilda person for life.
- Nick Riewoldt. May 19th 2009.
supersaints
Club Player

Ross said in the paper that we are` travelling at 60 - 70% at the moment and the whole focus is on getting that thirty percent over the next three weeks.. I think he knows exactly what he is doing..........

And the president said " I did not have sex with that woman"
And our former president said " Football is like golf" 

Go Sainters !!!!!
gringo
Saintsational Legend

I have been bagged all year for keeping up the optimism, and seeing the team management as a masterstroke under intense pressure. If we take the flag this year it will taste that much sweeter for the year we had.

Ross came out this year saying the focus was on the prize not gaining respect which was part of the motivation last year. The guy is a genius for not chucking in the towel and playing the kids when all looked like it was heading south. Every time we have a bad game this year the team gets slammed, but we are going along nicely. I don't fear any other team in the 8 and have faith that we will give a good account of ourselves come finals.

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote:I have been bagged all year for keeping up the optimism, and seeing the team management as a masterstroke under intense pressure. If we take the flag this year it will taste that much sweeter for the year we had.

Ross came out this year saying the focus was on the prize not gaining respect which was part of the motivation last year. The guy is a genius for not chucking in the towel and playing the kids when all looked like it was heading south. Every time we have a bad game this year the team gets slammed, but we are going along nicely. I don't fear any other team in the 8 and have faith that we will give a good account of ourselves come finals.
I don't think anyone inside or outside the club expected 2009 to pan out the way it did, ie winnning the first 19 games straight. Once we started winning there was little option other than to try and keep it going.

This time around Ross and his team have been able to plan the season with the knowledge gained in 2009 in mind. He would have seen from our own experience and from Geelong's that it is not neccessary to be flying from Round 1 and it's possible, and indeed desireable, to build up towards September while banking enough wins to get a Top 4 spot.

So I agree with what you have said and similarly are hopeful that the best is yet to come.

markp
Saintsational Legend

I think it's a bit like the story about the bull and his son... "Coach, why dont we run down there and win a final?!"... "No son, let's walk down there and win all of them".

I refuse to believe that the group's desire or confidence has waned at all this year... I honestly think the exact opposite is the case, and from the start we boldly set ourselves to deliver during the finals what we have held back, and only seen glimpses of all season.... Saints footy + unleashed fury.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

markp wrote:I think it's a bit like the story about the bull and his son... "Coach, why dont we run down there and win a final?!"... "No son, let's walk down there and win all of them".

I refuse to believe that the group's desire or confidence has waned at all this year... I honestly think the exact opposite is the case, and from the start we boldly set ourselves to deliver during the finals what we have been held back, and only seen glimpses of all season.... Saints footy + unleashed fury.
I endorse this post :)

saint3d
Club Player

SainterK wrote:
markp wrote:I think it's a bit like the story about the bull and his son... "Coach, why dont we run down there and win a final?!"... "No son, let's walk down there and win all of them".

I refuse to believe that the group's desire or confidence has waned at all this year... I honestly think the exact opposite is the case, and from the start we boldly set ourselves to deliver during the finals what we have been held back, and only seen glimpses of all season.... Saints footy + unleashed fury.
I endorse this post :)
I ratify your endorsement.

philtee
Club Player

I like this thread! This has been a team keeping its powder dry, waiting for September, ready to cut a path to a prelim final,
and who knows from there. Will be interesting to see who's rested over the next two weeks, so the list is cherry-ripe by September 1.

TazzieSaintGirl83
Club Player

Completely agree with these posts.

Keeping the faith in our Sainters and in Ross the Boss

I BELIEVE - GO SAINTS

100% Sainter Girl Through and Through
ChicagoSaint
Club Player

we're flying GO SAINTS!

StSteven
Club Player

Totally agree. Only problem is that two other teams are doing the same. This year's finals are going to be the tightest for many years.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

Tight at the top means nothing, the best home and away clubs don't always take the prize. Port Adelaide would have made Brisbane their bitch if it was sorted out in the home and away. West Coast would have a couple more in the cabinet and 97 would have been a great year for us. The minor premiership can show a team is serious but is no guarantee of anything, we are in a nice spot right now. I still have some doubts on the pies, the cats had a great win but are off what they were a year ago. Bulldogs look even further away than last also. Just look to be hanging back ready to explode do the saints.

saint3d
Club Player

StSteven wrote:Totally agree. Only problem is that two other teams are doing the same. This year's finals are going to be the tightest for many years.
Collingwood isn't building towards anything. Playing very well no doubt, but certainly not building to peak in September.

Collingwood is in the unenviable position of being in top form and having nowhere to go. On the surface it sounds great but it involves a degree of hope that a) you stay in form; and b) your current form is good enough to win when it matters.

Geelong is cagey so I'm not willing to make assumptions there.

All in all I'm quite pleased with the Saints position at the moment.