More "G" time----

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

More "G" time----

the club is trying

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news/sp ... 5907029279
It is believed the Saints pocketed more than $500,000 from its round 13 match against the Cats, which drew a crowd of 58,208.

"There is no doubt that playing big games at the MCG is almost the equivalent in value to signing a major sponsor," Nettlefold said.

In comparison, St Kilda's match return for the Etihad Stadium round-17 draw with Hawthorn, which attracted almost 50,000, is understood to have been less than $250,000.

However, St Kilda's problem is that it is one of Melbourne's highest-drawing clubs, and its fixture is solely determined by the AFL, unlike most other clubs who are bound by traditional long-term stadium arrangements.

Under a revised user agreement between Etihad and the AFL, a minimum of 46 home-and-away games must be played there each year until the AFL takes ownership at the end of 2024. And included in the user-agreement contract is a best-endeavours clause which requires 30 of those games to have the potential to attract crowds of more than 40,000.

St Kilda has been a long-time tenant club at Etihad Stadium, but surprisingly does not have a contract with the venue operator as its most recent deal expired in 2008.

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
ChicagoSaint
Club Player

If G-time means all members get a GF ticket then G-time is fine by me.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

I can't believe we haven't threatened to relocate just to grab a bigger slice from the afl. That tenancy we had was crippling, so why didn't we leave and pull the door closed behind us? s*** stadium, s*** operator, crap deal.

I would rather sit in the rain every week as the club stuffs their coffers, at least while we are up the top of the ladder. If we fall on our arses again we wont have made the most of a successful period.

Moods
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote:I can't believe we haven't threatened to relocate just to grab a bigger slice from the afl. That tenancy we had was crippling, so why didn't we leave and pull the door closed behind us? s*** stadium, s*** operator, crap deal.

I would rather sit in the rain every week as the club stuffs their coffers, at least while we are up the top of the ladder. If we fall on our arses again we wont have made the most of a successful period.
Agreed Gringo. The Docklands deal was a bum deal from the outset. Whilst we haven't won a flag (yet) - this era of the past 7 years is a golden era by saints standards and hasn't been capitalised on. Etihad is a great stadium but us and several other teams have been ripped off blind. I reckon we would average 40k over a year if we went to the G. That would equate to far more than the same average (which is lower anyway) at Etihad.

Solar
Saintsational Legend

Bloody disgrace. We are losing money because of the AFL's ground sharing deal. I hope we are doing something to push for a actual ground deal in the next two years.

FQF
loyal in the good times and bad
In richo I trust

2013 trade/draft best ever?
Billings - future brownlow medallist Longer - future best ruck
Dunstan - future captain Eli - future cult hero
Acres - future norm smith
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

We decided to use Etihad as our home and I might be in the minority but I love it. The deal we got at Etihad was poor but is much better now. Obviously not as good as the G but if we get 2-3 home games a year there that would be great. Just remember we are going well now but our time will come when we are poor again and hate to say it but our supporters drop off rather quickly. Etihad is ideal for a club of our size. We may want to pretend we are as big as Carlton, Collingwood and Essendon but we are not. Nothing wrong with that though as we are just about on top of the next level of sides.

saintlee
Club Player

plugger66 wrote:We decided to use Etihad as our home and I might be in the minority but I love it. The deal we got at Etihad was poor but is much better now. Obviously not as good as the G but if we get 2-3 home games a year there that would be great. Just remember we are going well now but our time will come when we are poor again and hate to say it but our supporters drop off rather quickly. Etihad is ideal for a club of our size. We may want to pretend we are as big as Carlton, Collingwood and Essendon but we are not. Nothing wrong with that though as we are just about on top of the next level of sides.
If we could play 3-4 home games a year at the G against the big drawing teams (Collingwood, Essendon, Carlton, Hawthorn, Richmond) that would perfect I think.

Then play the inter-state and small drawing teams at Etihad.

AnythingsPossibleSaints
SS Life Member

saintlee wrote:
plugger66 wrote:We decided to use Etihad as our home and I might be in the minority but I love it. The deal we got at Etihad was poor but is much better now. Obviously not as good as the G but if we get 2-3 home games a year there that would be great. Just remember we are going well now but our time will come when we are poor again and hate to say it but our supporters drop off rather quickly. Etihad is ideal for a club of our size. We may want to pretend we are as big as Carlton, Collingwood and Essendon but we are not. Nothing wrong with that though as we are just about on top of the next level of sides.
If we could play 3-4 home games a year at the G against the big drawing teams (Collingwood, Essendon, Carlton, Hawthorn, Richmond) that would perfect I think.

I like it.

YOU GET WHAT YOU SETTLE FOR.
OneEyedSainter77
SS Life Member

saintlee wrote:

Hammer.
Nail.
Head.

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

3 home games a year at the MCG, plus a couple of away games would give us 5 per year there.....still gives us about 11 at Jihad and 6 interstate.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
Moorabbin Saints
Club Player

Would like to see 7 home at Etihad and 4 home at the G. Plus we could play a few away games there.

For example this year:

North at Etihad (Home)
Fremantle at Etihad (Home)
Essendon at Etihad (Home)
Adelaide at Etihad (Home)
Melbourne at Etihad (Home)
Port Adelaide at Etihad (Home)
Richmond at Etihad(Home)

Collingwood at MCG (Home)
Carlton at MCG (Home)
Geelong at MCG (Home)
Hawthorn at MCG (Home)

Bulldogs at Etihad (Away)
Essendon at Etihad (Away)
North at Etihad (Away)

Richmond at MCG (Away)
Collingwood at MCG (Away)

'Because we've got unfinished business'
....................Official Saintsational Banner Designer....................