Geelong or the pies

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Geelong or the pies

Getting a few games ahead of myself which I dont like but do we want to play the Geelong or the Pies if we happen to beat the Swans or WB next week.

My feeling is Collingwood. No doubt they have clearly been the best side this year but lack one thing the Cats and we have and that is GF experience. Geelong have it in spades and we have it from last year and I take it that it is a huge help. The positves in playing Geelong though is we are 2 out of 2 this year and we are only one out of 2 against the pies. Obviously it is out of our hands but what are peoples thoughts.

Moods
Saintsational Legend

Cats for mine. I have the feeling we have them worked out. WE should have beaten them in the GF last year and they seem to have real difficulty with our pressure and zone.

The pies play a very similar style to us, but I reckon are more adept at going up the wings to attack. This spreads our zone more making it harder to defend. They are more even than the cats, who have several brilliant players who can shut down, but also some very obvious weak links I reckon.

OneEyedSainter77
SS Life Member

Re: Geelong or the pies

plugger66 wrote:Getting a few games ahead of myself which I dont like but do we want to play the Geelong or the Pies if we happen to beat the Swans or WB next week.

My feeling is Collingwood. No doubt they have clearly been the best side this year but lack one thing the Cats and we have and that is GF experience. Geelong have it in spades and we have it from last year and I take it that it is a huge help. The positves in playing Geelong though is we are 2 out of 2 this year and we are only one out of 2 against the pies. Obviously it is out of our hands but what are peoples thoughts.
So very un;like you plugger - Mr. Cool around here usually.

Anyway, to answer the question, definitely Collingwood - for most of the reasons you have stated above and for one more I will add here:

I just have this sneaking suspicion some of these pies are getting ahead of themselves - thinking "pfft, we've beaten St Kilda, they'll be nothing" and come Grand Final day, a majority of them have had no experience in Grand Finals and a majority of our team played last year.

We will handle the pressure better and fuelling us even more is the fact we got there last year and lost.

So we'll have something more driving us if we do make it.

But every time I think about winning the Grand Final or even winning it, I remember how painful and how awful losing was last year and I just come back to reality and focussing on one week at a time.

2009 it was all about the journey which I enjoyed but the destination when we got there was crap.

2010 has been all about the destination, I've found it hard to enjoy the journey but if we bring it home in 2010 it will all be worth it.

Stillwaiting
Saintsational Legend

I think I would rather play the filth, they deserved to finish on top but I would be more concerned facing the Cats in the GF. Dont think we have heard the last of them just yet

I love this club
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

let's make sure we're in the grand final first.

if we get through i reckon we'll be playing collingwood.

Stephen Theodore
SS Hall of Fame

Yeah, dont like getting ahead of things, but I have been dreaming a liitle about another possible G.F. (as well as

Would definitely prefer the filth, for the reasons posted above, and the joy of watching the ferals when the filth get rolled. :lol:

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

Moods wrote:Cats for mine. I have the feeling we have them worked out. WE should have beaten them in the GF last year and they seem to have real difficulty with our pressure and zone.

The pies play a very similar style to us, but I reckon are more adept at going up the wings to attack. This spreads our zone more making it harder to defend. They are more even than the cats, who have several brilliant players who can shut down, but also some very obvious weak links I reckon.
Just wanna get there first, of course.

However on the assumption we do make it to the GF I tend to agree with you Moods, for much the same reasons.

We do however appear to be in the minority (so far at least)

CORDZ
Club Player

I've said it before and I'll say it again - The pies worry me this year.
I couldn't bare attending a grand final that they won. I would pay any price for a helicopter to pick me up from the front of the G and take me from the country for 6 months.

"That's ahh...quite a stutter you've got there, Ken!"
Captain Impossible
Club Player

Maybe its the pessimist in me, but I would rather play Geelong. On the off chance that we lose (again), my life would be sheer hell as I work with 3 of the most feral Collingwood fans on the planet. Every time football gets mentioned, I am immediatley emailed photos of Saints players crying after the GF last year.

I would probably have to resign.

I also agree that I think we have the Cats worked out. And the thought of Luke Ball with a Premiership medal causes immediate nausea. I just hope the filth don't make it.

saintsrus
SS Hall of Fame

bigcarl wrote:let's make sure we're in the grand final first.

Bloody oath, Remember 2005 people

Before Im 85
noob
Club Player

hope the players aren't thinking collingwood or geelong

Thinline
Saintsational Legend

IF we make the Grannie, we win.

Can't see us losing. Too many great players in our side. And Roo is a once a century freak.

"The inches we need are everywhere around us. They're in every break in the game. Every minute, every second. On this team we fight for that inch. On this team we tear ourselves and everyone around us to pieces for that inch. We claw with our fingernails for that inch. Because we know when we add up all those inches that's gonna make the f***in' difference between winning and losing! Between living and dying!'
supersaints
Club Player

i am sure i have quoted on this site that the swans are ouir biggest threat.......... but then what do i know?

And the president said " I did not have sex with that woman"
And our former president said " Football is like golf" 

Go Sainters !!!!!
St Ick
SS Hall of Fame

Can't really see it happening, but just how good would it be to see a Freo upset this week? Cats out in straight sets, then to have Bomber blame it on the umps again.

Freo beat them in Subi this year, and strange things happen come September. But yeah, very unlikely. I'd be happy playing either team, on our day, our best is better than anyones - we just have to make sure we are on song and who cares who we play?

Strength through Loyalty
Go those mighty Sainters!!
saintkid
Club Player

Thinline wrote:IF we make the Grannie, we win.

Can't see us losing. Too many great players in our side. And Roo is a once a century freak.
After focusing on winning the Prelim next week, if Roo kicks straight in the Grannie with a cameo performance from Kosi and Milney, the Cup will make its way back to Moorabbin for sure.

Middo
Club Player

Captain Impossible wrote:Maybe its the pessimist in me, but I would rather play Geelong. On the off chance that we lose (again), my life would be sheer hell as I work with 3 of the most feral Collingwood fans on the planet. Every time football gets mentioned, I am immediatley emailed photos of Saints players crying after the GF last year.

I would probably have to resign.

I also agree that I think we have the Cats worked out. And the thought of Luke Ball with a Premiership medal causes immediate nausea. I just hope the filth don't make it.
More the reason to want the Filth in it , how would it feel walking into work on the Monday ..? If we play the Pies I'm thinking we win pretty easy ...

Jack Newnes happy to be a Saint !!!! PS and to hit a target !!!
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

saintsrus wrote:

The bookies have us at $1.28 to make the Granny.

OneEyedSainter77
SS Life Member

saintspremiers wrote:
saintsrus wrote:

The bookies have us at $1.28 to make the Granny.
So what value are we not to make the GF.

Making some dough on that would offset the pain of missing out I reckon.

Not that i would ever make that kind of bet... but I'm still interested.

GoTheTorp
Club Player

Geelong or the pies?

I hope they smash the knacker bag out of each other

We need to get over the dogs or the swans before we start to worry about that match up

8-)

saint3d
Club Player

Moods wrote:The pies play a very similar style to us, but I reckon are more adept at going up the wings to attack. This spreads our zone more making it harder to defend.
I don't get it. There's only one ball, so you can't go up both wings at the same time. How does being closer to the boundary spread our zone?

St Kilda's zone defends the centre square strongly. It forces opposition teams to go wide and end up taking more of their shots from the flank or pocket.

If Collingwood is already inclined to go the long way, I don't see how that makes them less vulnerable to the St Kilda zone.

saint3d
Club Player

OneEyedSainter77 wrote:So what value are we not to make the GF.

Making some dough on that would offset the pain of missing out I reckon.
No it wouldn't, and you know it.

#1GILL
SS Hall of Fame

saint3d wrote:
Moods wrote:The pies play a very similar style to us, but I reckon are more adept at going up the wings to attack. This spreads our zone more making it harder to defend.
I don't get it. There's only one ball, so you can't go up both wings at the same time. How does being closer to the boundary spread our zone?

St Kilda's zone defends the centre square strongly. It forces opposition teams to go wide and end up taking more of their shots from the flank or pocket.

If Collingwood is already inclined to go the long way, I don't see how that makes them less vulnerable to the St Kilda zone.
I think we force teams to kick INTO the corridor and try to force a turnover that way..

You'd have to ask Ross though....

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

I had a dream about playing the pies in the GF, posted it on here a few months back....will bump it if it happens, saw the scoreline and everything, may of been a vision :wink:

bigred
Saintsational Legend

Freo will get there before us.

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

I reckon the Pies are set for a mighty fall against Cats.

They will want their revenge.....we have a 09 flag to remind us.

“Yeah….nah””