Geelong or the Pies

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Geelong or the Pies

I know i am getting ahead by one game but it has to be asked now as they play before us this week.

I think the Pies are better to play but you could come up with various reasons as to why and there would be a counter argument.

My one reason I think the pies are better to play is IMO the most important. Little of their players have GF experience. You can play as many big games as you want but it seems GF experience is huge. We now have it and Geelong have it in bucket loads. That is my main reason for hoping the pies win Friday night and then the huge matter of us winning on Saturday.

The main reason for the counter argument of wanting to play the Cats is another good reason and that is revenge. The last time a side had a chance for revenge in a GF saw that side lose again and that was the pies.

Anyway all that is out of our control but winning Saturday night is very much in our control. Go Sainters.

HSVKing
Saintsational Legend

I sense a Collingwood victory, but my mind tells me otherwise.

I just get a feeling the Cats will get up Friday night, don't know what it is, or why, but it's a strong sense.

They walk amongst us...

dcstkfc
Saintsational Legend

I think I'd rather play Geelong- we match up better with them.

STRENGTH THROUGH LOYALTY.

‎''I still get really excited, and I've got the '66 thing up on the wall in a frame … You look at it and think: one day, we want to achieve that.''- Arryn Siposs
SaintTom
Club Player

I would prefer Collingwood to win, for the reasons stated above and more. Not only will Cats want revenge if we play them again, we've just thrown everything at them two weeks ago and the difference in the score was less than a goal, and could just have easily been less than a goal the other way. I don't want to leave that to chance. Although Collingwood comprehensively beat us last time, that was one of the most insipid performances I've seen from the Saints in a few seasons, and I seriously doubt there will be a repeat of it. We've improved our game since we played Collingwood, and aside from that last game, we've had a pretty good history in terms of both win/loss AND margins in recent times (as opposed to the 3/4 against Geelong, but two of those being 6 points or less).

Overall, for some reason the Pies just don't scare me as much. There's even the chance that they'll kick a horrendous 4.21 or whatever is was again, as big game pressure can cause mistakes, and this seems like a likely one Collingwood will make.

bigred
Saintsational Legend

Forcast of scattered showers..

Not a massive amount of rain around atm....

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
Beno88
SS Hall of Fame

We've kept both to their lowest scores of 2010.

And the Bulldogs for that matter.

markp
Saintsational Legend

The Filth would make me want to vomit for the entirety of GF week... and worse if they actually won it.

The Cats haven't had a week off, and we've already beaten them twice this year.

Also the filth will moan and whinge if the lose a GF, and there will be 16 page lift-outs on how they should've won, and the glorious dynasty that lays ahead for them... much better and way more enjoyable if they simply go 'pop!' in a prelim.

Cats.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Going by the US open, Collingwood to beat Geelong :)

saintlee
Club Player

Re: Geelong or the Pies

plugger66 wrote:The main reason for the counter argument of wanting to play the Cats is another good reason and that is revenge. The last time a side had a chance for revenge in a GF saw that side lose again and that was the pies.
Think you're forgetting WCE beating Sydney in 2006, gaining revenge for the 05 loss the preceeding year.

Aside from that, I agree with you P66, think I'd rather play the Pies as they are more likely to falter on the big day than the Cats.

Saints94
SS Life Member

Geelong, because they will have to play 4 taxing games in a row to win it.

HSVKing
Saintsational Legend

Saints94 wrote:Geelong, because they will have to play 4 taxing games in a row to win it.
Would hardly classify Fremantle as that, but still, having to play 4 games is tough.

They walk amongst us...

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

saintlee wrote:
plugger66 wrote:The main reason for the counter argument of wanting to play the Cats is another good reason and that is revenge. The last time a side had a chance for revenge in a GF saw that side lose again and that was the pies.
Think you're forgetting WCE beating Sydney in 2006, gaining revenge for the 05 loss the preceeding year.

Aside from that, I agree with you P66, think I'd rather play the Pies as they are more likely to falter on the big day than the Cats.
Dont bring that up. It completely destroys my argument. facts should never get in the way of a good story.

saintlee
Club Player

plugger66 wrote:
saintlee wrote:

Dont bring that up. It completely destroys my argument. facts should never get in the way of a good story.
haha.....sorry :wink:

St Chris
SS Hall of Fame

I want the 'Pies to win, but don't think they will.

Collingwood will have the "weight of a nation" so to speak, the pressure will be too much, and they'll crack. The final score will be Collingwood 1.17.23 to St Kilda 10.10.70 or something like that.

Geelong have forgotten how to lose a Prelim, and Collingwood don't know what winning one is like, so they're up against it.

Saints43
Club Player

There are some good cases made to not want to play either of them.

I would prefer the pies as geelong are never finished. They are battle hardened psychos. I think there are some at the pies who may drop off if things don't go their way.

Anyway, here's hoping we knock off the dogs.

snowdelisaint
Club Player

It would be interesting either way, and can work in our favour either way, in the way the media will talk it up -

St Kilda v Collingwood - - - 1966 factor
St Kilda v Geelong - - - revenge factor

Stephen Theodore
SS Hall of Fame

Also agree with you P.66. The down side is turning grand final week into a gala Collingwood week, and the obvious one (they actually win) Lucky for me I'd be back on a plane sunday arvo. (or wouldnt be there if we didnt make it)

Thinline
Saintsational Legend

If given the chance we'll beat both.

I say that with absolute conviction.

I just care about the Bulldogs at this point.

I want us to crush them in the same uncompromising way Collingwood did in the first qualifier. Only by more points. And with more physical pain inflicted.

Although I'm nervous - who am I kidding, I would be if we were playing Warrnambool Thirds - my gut feel is we will unleash pure hell on them.

"The inches we need are everywhere around us. They're in every break in the game. Every minute, every second. On this team we fight for that inch. On this team we tear ourselves and everyone around us to pieces for that inch. We claw with our fingernails for that inch. Because we know when we add up all those inches that's gonna make the f***in' difference between winning and losing! Between living and dying!'
Stephen Theodore
SS Hall of Fame

Thinline wrote:
Although I'm nervous - who am I kidding, I would be if we were playing Warrnambool Thirds - my gut feel is we will unleash pure hell on them.

Hope you're right. Prelim finals are nerve wracking.

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:I know i am getting ahead by one game but it has to be asked now as they play before us this week.

I think the Pies are better to play but you could come up with various reasons as to why and there would be a counter argument.

My one reason I think the pies are better to play is IMO the most important. Little of their players have GF experience. You can play as many big games as you want but it seems GF experience is huge. We now have it and Geelong have it in bucket loads. That is my main reason for hoping the pies win Friday night and then the huge matter of us winning on Saturday.

The main reason for the counter argument of wanting to play the Cats is another good reason and that is revenge. The last time a side had a chance for revenge in a GF saw that side lose again and that was the pies.

Anyway all that is out of our control but winning Saturday night is very much in our control. Go Sainters.
sounds like poly speak

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

markp wrote:The Filth would make me want to vomit for the entirety of GF week... and worse if they actually won it.

Also the filth will moan and whinge if the lose a GF, and there will be 16 page lift-outs on how they should've won, and the glorious dynasty that lays ahead for them... much better and way more enjoyable if they simply go 'pop!' in a prelim.

Cats.
Agree markp, Cats for mine for much the same reasons.

Plus, and it's unpleasant to talk about this, IF we made the GF and lost I could handle that better if it was the Cats again rather than that other mob (although I still wouldn't handle it well :( ).

bergsone
SS Life Member

Cats for me.Backed pies not to win flag,after they did us last time

IMO cats are better side

degruch
Saintsational Legend

Dr Spaceman wrote:
markp wrote:The Filth would make me want to vomit for the entirety of GF week... and worse if they actually won it.

Cats.

Plus, and it's unpleasant to talk about this, IF we made the GF and lost I could handle that better if it was the Cats again rather than that other mob (although I still wouldn't handle it well :( ).
+2. I'm swinging, I've been Cats most of the week...ther Pies weren't within 10 goals of St Kilda or Geelong last year, adding Ball and Jolly doesn't equal the difference...I'm expecting their dream run to end. If it doesn't this week, it sure will next week. It's Geelong's arrogance to defeat Collingwood's flat tracking qualities, aided by their seasonal wobbliness.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

My feeling is the pies are playing with finals intensity every game, not sure they can go up another gear. Geelong like the saints wanted top 4 and then get through. If Geelong play a decent game they should edge out the pies, but the hunger may have subsided a bit. My guess would be Geelong will get over them with higher stakes to gain. But I am never sold on the pies wasn't right so far.

Schillaci
Club Player

degruch wrote:
Dr Spaceman wrote:

Cats.

+2. I'm swinging, I've been Cats most of the week...ther Pies weren't within 10 goals of St Kilda or Geelong last year, adding Ball and Jolly doesn't equal the difference...I'm expecting their dream run to end. If it doesn't this week, it sure will next week. It's Geelong's arrogance to defeat Collingwood's flat tracking qualities, aided by their seasonal wobbliness.
All this. No way I want to play against Pies in the GF...couldn't stand the thought of them talking themselves up and possibility of losing to them. Luke Ball factor is more salt to wound. Revenge chance for last year or lose to the champion team that is Geelong again for mine.