Possible team changes

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

DWOODROW
Club Player

Possible team changes

Gardiner Out - Mcevoy In, Possible, Likely

Eddie Out - Geary , Armo in, Possible, maybe,

Peake Out - Geary, Steven

Mcqualter Out - Steven ,

Gram out - Armo

Now this is all hypothetical so no going off the deep end saying I;m an idiot for even putting this post up but in reality these are possible changes.

Gram is not right, Dal while having a lot of possies wasn't his usual self but maybe this could be put down to his oponent,

Gardiner is most likely gone which is upsetting for the Big fella but I reckon now that Big Mcevoy has a chance he is going to use it, being that he is the one who replaces him,

Peake, well maybe he was more impressed with his boots than the game?

Eddie tries his absolute guts out and quite possibly could still be there but we really need to get all players to gget possessions and use them. He seems to have more time than he thinks he does and rushes a little too much.

Mcqualter still continues to be carried in my opionion and not really knowing why would think Steven could play this role but not likely.

Now Lyon has said that there will be changes and those not 100% probably won't play. Those that wern't 100% on the weekend and had a shot would be struggling to back up again but who else do we have??

Hearing the call for fresh legs could well be the saviour for us.

I think Mcevoy, Geary and possibly Armo will give us a different side and a harder more agressive style. Here's hoping anyway.

I'm staying home this weekend and watching on the Big screen. I don't even think I can bring myself to have a drink till after the game and depending on the outcome will be the decider.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

May be a chance for Armo...what a unique opportunity for young players to make a name for themselves.

As I said elsewhere though, I am not even sure McEvoy is a lock, and still only a chance....Ross might persist with the Kosi/Blake ruck scenario.

One thing in Dal and Grams favour, is that I thought as they game went on, they gained more and more confidence in their bodies.

I don't know what to expect...

degruch
Saintsational Legend

Re: Possibilities

DWOODROW wrote:Mcqualter still continues to be carried in my opionion and not really knowing why would think Steven could play this role but not likely.
Ouch! There's no way Mini's going anywhere...10 tackles, countless bumps, put the body in and made a real difference, couldn't possibly swap him for a noobie. Had last year to attone for and did well. Now, if he can do the same this week AND kick a couple goals...

DWOODROW
Club Player

SainterK wrote:May be a chance for Armo...what a unique opportunity for young players to make a name for themselves.

As I said elsewhere though, I am not even sure McEvoy is a lock, and still only a chance....Ross might persist with the Kosi/Blake ruck scenario.

One thing in Dal and Grams favour, is that I thought as they game went on, they gained more and more confidence in their bodies.

I don't know what to expect...
I don't think anyone knows Sainter K. It's all guess work till Saturday but there are daydreamers. :wink:

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

I don't believe there is any real chance of Peake not playing.
The last thing we would do is drop someone (one of our few) who has genuine pace, especially against Collingwood.

It's what, IMO, is holding Armo back from a regular gig in the team. Yes he is a tackling machine, but he seems to lack pace (and endurance?) to get to the contests - much like Ball last year.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

degruch wrote:
DWOODROW wrote:Mcqualter still continues to be carried in my opionion and not really knowing why would think Steven could play this role but not likely.
Ouch! There's no way Mini's going anywhere...10 tackles, countless bumps, put the body in and made a real difference, couldn't possibly swap him for a noobie. Had last year to attone for and did well. Now, if he can do the same this week AND kick a couple goals...
Mini needs to hit the scoreboard.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
degruch
Saintsational Legend

SaintPav wrote:
degruch wrote:
Mini needs to hit the scoreboard.
Too far to the left...between the big sticks would be better.

DWOODROW
Club Player

But Geary is definitely a possibility surely.

As for Daves Pace I don't think that is downfall. He makes up for it by putting his head over the all and dishing it out. Can be a big game [player in my op.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

I think Mini's 10 tackles will have saved him.

Does Lyon go conservative....or go a bit more attacking?

Conservative:

In Ben for Gardi

and if Gram is Dodgey.... Geary or Armo for Gram.

Attacking

Miles for Gram... ..and maybe Armo (or Geary) for Gardi.

*Kosi and Blake to ruck
*Gilbert to play forward with Roo

*Miles to play at hbf with his pace and run.

*Armo to add to the midfield rotations for mids that will be working flat out.

Stanley?? Now that would be bold. however think Lyon will want tough bodies.

It is a bit hard to imagine 3 changes. Though some fresh players could prove valuable.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

DWOODROW wrote:Gardiner Out - Mcevoy In, Possible, Likely

Eddie Out - Geary , Armo in, Possible, maybe,

Peake Out - Geary, Steven

Mcqualter Out - Steven ,

Gram out - Armo

Now this is all hypothetical so no going off the deep end saying I;m an idiot for even putting this post up but in reality these are possible changes.

Gram is not right, Dal while having a lot of possies wasn't his usual self but maybe this could be put down to his oponent,

Gardiner is most likely gone which is upsetting for the Big fella but I reckon now that Big Mcevoy has a chance he is going to use it, being that he is the one who replaces him,

Peake, well maybe he was more impressed with his boots than the game?

Eddie tries his absolute guts out and quite possibly could still be there but we really need to get all players to gget possessions and use them. He seems to have more time than he thinks he does and rushes a little too much.

Mcqualter still continues to be carried in my opionion and not really knowing why would think Steven could play this role but not likely.

Now Lyon has said that there will be changes and those not 100% probably won't play. Those that wern't 100% on the weekend and had a shot would be struggling to back up again but who else do we have??

Hearing the call for fresh legs could well be the saviour for us.

I think Mcevoy, Geary and possibly Armo will give us a different side and a harder more agressive style. Here's hoping anyway.

I'm staying home this weekend and watching on the Big screen. I don't even think I can bring myself to have a drink till after the game and depending on the outcome will be the decider.
Dude, nice work but you're overthinking this. RL does not have a history of making multiple changes.

Macca will probably come in. Geary is a chance as well as we need a running player with fresh legs. I think Steven is injured. Armo lacks match fitness and is a tad slow. Miles has good potential but he will not come in for this one.

If RL wnated to be daring, he could use Blake and Kosi in the ruck and bring in two runners with fresh legs. ie no Macca but it would be a big risk and I don't think he will do it.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
derby Street
Club Player

I think there will be minimal changes at this stage - unless someone doesn't come up. (Let's hope all fit ??) I think Gardy is gone though - we do need a ruckmen to replace as to great a risk to go in Kosi & Blake. Armo - don't think so. Just not sure about his knee injury and not certain what role he would play. He is too attacking to play mini's defensive forward posi and doesn't get enough of the ball as a midfielder / onballer. (geez I wish he would, I see a lot of good things in Armo but just not often enough)

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

DWOODROW wrote:But Geary is definitely a possibility surely.

As for Daves Pace I don't think that is downfall. He makes up for it by putting his head over the all and dishing it out. Can be a big game [player in my op.
I'm not disputing his in and under work.

But whose place will he take in the middle?
Lenny - does it better than Armo?
BJ - does it better than Armo?
Dal - does it better than Armo?
CJ - is our best tagger
Joey - is our best outside mid
Ray - can play tall as well as small and is a better disposal
Eddy - maybe, but can Armo play as a defensive HFF?
Mini - a tackling machine like Armo, but is quicker
Peake - genuine pace adn long kicking
Gram - if fit is much quicker than Armo, adn a better kick

I'm not discounting Armo's abilities, just wondering what role/position he would play better than those already in the team?

DWOODROW
Club Player

Mr Magic wrote:

I'm not disputing his in and under work.

But whose place will he take in the middle?
Lenny - does it better than Armo?
BJ - does it better than Armo?
Dal - does it better than Armo?
CJ - is our best tagger
Joey - is our best outside mid
Ray - can play tall as well as small and is a better disposal
Eddy - maybe, but can Armo play as a defensive HFF?
Mini - a tackling machine like Armo, but is quicker
Peake - genuine pace adn long kicking
Gram - if fit is much quicker than Armo, adn a better kick

I'm not discounting Armo's abilities, just wondering what role/position he would play better than those already in the team?
I see your point. What about a bench interchange player to rotate??

Geary normally plays back flank doesn't he?, or is he a utility??

Someone also said he was injured possibly. When did that happen and what happened??

busso mick
Club Player

Lyon has openly praised Geary's last game against Collingwood in Round 16 with 20 disposals and 6 tackles, so I am guessing he will come in for Gram who was very proppy all day and jogging to contests rather than sprinting.

I think Eddy's hardness will keep him his spot, but if Stevens was fit he would be a likely replacement due to his goal sense. As another alternative for Eddy, Armitage can provide support for Lenny in the grunt work, who can't be expected to drag the side to victory every week on his own back. The stoppages was where we were exposed in the second quarter.

Bardon Saint
Club Player

In my opinion I think Armo struggles a little with confidence/belief. In 'that' Hawthorn game he was pretty much the sole general and took on the game like he owned it. Watching him against (help? was it the crows late in the season this year), I feel that he too often doesn't take the game on like he naturally knows how to because he doesn't want to tread on the feet of Lenny, Dal etc. He needs to know that he deserves to be there and needs the self belief to play his natural game. He can be tenacious and can kick a goal. I'm a big fan because i've seen glimpses of what he can offer.

DWOODROW
Club Player

Bardon Saint wrote:

In my opinion I think Armo struggles a little with confidence/belief. In 'that' Hawthorn game he was pretty much the sole general and took on the game like he owned it. Watching him against (help? was it the crows late in the season this year), I feel that he too often doesn't take the game on like he naturally knows how to because he doesn't want to tread on the feet of Lenny, Dal etc. He needs to know that he deserves to be there and needs the self belief to play his natural game. He can be tenacious and can kick a goal. I'm a big fan because i've seen glimpses of what he can offer.
I may get myself in trouble here but I think the confidence thing is from being bought in and out of the team with little explanation. To have confidence in himself the coach/s also has to have confidence in him.
i would love to see him given a crack cause I know he won't disappoint

noob
Club Player

Eddy got 2 tackles and McQualter put in 10.. shows me that mcqualter is putting more effort.

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

I really believe that Ross' gameplan soesn't allow for a 'grunt only' player.
WHilst I'm sure that Armo will eventually evolve into a great player for us (if he stays), iMO he really needs to figure out what his role within the Saints gameplan he is looking to take (not be given!) - he amy well have been told that already?

It's no co-inidence to me that his best game(s) were when Lenny wan't there, adn he could assume the role of 'general of the midfield' in his place.

When he gets to play a lesser role he just doesn't seem to thrive in the 'bursts' he gets to play.

Maybe he needs to have a look at players like Lenny adn Swan and model himself on their game styles (different to each other, but effective). Neither is blessed with blistering pace, but both get the ball adn go to dangerous positions.

DWOODROW
Club Player

Mr Magic wrote:I really believe that Ross' gameplan soesn't allow for a 'grunt only' player.
WHilst I'm sure that Armo will eventually evolve into a great player for us (if he stays), iMO he really needs to figure out what his role within the Saints gameplan he is looking to take (not be given!) - he amy well have been told that already?

It's no co-inidence to me that his best game(s) were when Lenny wan't there, adn he could assume the role of 'general of the midfield' in his place.

When he gets to play a lesser role he just doesn't seem to thrive in the 'bursts' he gets to play.

Maybe he needs to have a look at players like Lenny adn Swan and model himself on their game styles (different to each other, but effective). Neither is blessed with blistering pace, but both get the ball adn go to dangerous positions.
+1

Zed
SS Hall of Fame

Big Mac for Gardy looks likely.

But perhaps RL throws caution to the wind and decides to use Kosi in the ruck. If Stanley had another 50 games under his belt he would be a no brainer as he potentially gives lots of forward line flexibility - especially if you line him up on Maxwell.

Armo provides lots of grunt - maybe he plays the McQ role across half forward or takes Eddy's spot ?

“If you want the rainbow you gotta put up with rain” Dolly Parton
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Cant see how Armo could get a game. To slow and doesnt do the defensive stuff RL wants. Geary the only other chance IMO but only one change and that is Ben.

eppo67
Club Player

Are you sure plugger I'm pretty sure ARMO has a very high tackle count for the amount of time he spends on the ground. I think he is really suited for a defensive fwd. position and would have him over Eddy who IMO goes to ground too often.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

eppo67 wrote:Are you sure plugger I'm pretty sure ARMO has a very high tackle count for the amount of time he spends on the ground. I think he is really suited for a defensive fwd. position and would have him over Eddy who IMO goes to ground too often.
He is an excellent tackler but doesnt run and spread like good players should do. He isnt fast or fit enough to do the role of Eddy IMO or he would have done it already. He is an in and under midfielder with ordinary defensive qualities.

DWOODROW
Club Player

plugger66 wrote:
eppo67 wrote:Are you sure plugger I'm pretty sure ARMO has a very high tackle count for the amount of time he spends on the ground. I think he is really suited for a defensive fwd. position and would have him over Eddy who IMO goes to ground too often.
He is an excellent tackler but doesnt run and spread like good players should do. He isnt fast or fit enough to do the role of Eddy IMO or he would have done it already. He is an in and under midfielder with ordinary defensive qualities.
+1, trade him

BringBackMadDog
Club Player

I would love to see Miles play, he is super quick and could play on any of their resting smalls, it would allow us to play both Gilbo and BJ in attacking roles and he has a booming kick which is really important to help us clear the forward crush.