A calm has descended

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Verdun66
SS Hall of Fame

A calm has descended

Just took the dog for a walk around the fields near our village. Been tightly wound up all last week, a wreck during the game, drained and shocked afterwards and feeling tense with apprehension ever since. Watched the game 3 times now, and read lots of opinions on the various sites.

Suddenly as I was walking along it came to me. We are going to win this. I'm now convinced. It is clear as day. We are mentally and physically tougher, we have more big guns, and we're extremely well coached by a shrewd and ruthless operator. I'm suddenly calm and confident. The penny has dropped.

Collingwood have umpteen resources, piles of money, are also well coached, and have been a very good team. They also have stars, but I honestly don't think they have any that head BJ, Roo, and Lenny.

Our team has been in the making since the early part of the last decade. Around 2004 I was convinced we would win at least a couple of premierships by 2010. As a club we didn't really have the resources, and it is for another post as to why we haven't fulfilled our potential. But this our time, 'our *****n stage' as Rooey so eloquently put it in the huddle on Saturday.

We have looked calmer as a club since the game, and Eddie and his media conscious club have been spinning. I'm sure Eddie did say that stuff after the game. They looked shot in the second half except for a few of them like Maxwell, Thomas.....and bits from others. They looked resentful about being tackled, and some of their younger guys had their heads up in contests. I'm sure they have more injuries than are known or being talked about in the media.

Listened to 'Mondayitis' on Sportal. Have a listen. Crackers is a character, but he said some very good things, and has some interesting observations. Cloke is rumoured to have a leg problem, Didak is quite hurt I reckon. Pendlebury didn't look great , Wellingham looked hurt. Ball looked proppy. Maxwell copped a couple. And we are now in their heads. They didn't blow us away, and they don't really have plan B.

If we can withstand the early onslaught, which will come, and we keep tackling them hard, especially the young blokes (8 who haven't played 50 games) then we will roll over the top of them, and grind it home. I'm absolutely convinced.

We have injuries...sure. Grammy doesn't look right, and Gardiner must be gone. Dal got better as the game went on, and at training looked great. If he gets that Rolls Royce motor going that will be the icing. I honestly reckon he will. Kosi might have sore ribs but did well. Not sure there are any others.

I keep reading that the Pies have more upside, but I can't see it. More media spinning by them I reckon. I'm glad our guys keep away from it, and don't do any 'spruiking'.

From our perspective...this is our upside for starters.

Baker...will be better for the run, and got better as the game went on. His touch was getting better.
Dal....plenty of upside....reckon he'll kick in on Saturday with a big one. He is a massive wildcard for us. Better ball usage has to start with him.
Ray....found a spot in the second half.
Rooey.......had a good game, but if other things go a bit better upfield he'll rip em apart.
Kosi....really finding form and confidence. Will be better, despite his ribs.
Big Ben...will be fresh and raring to go. Jolly looked a bit buggered to be honest.

Add your own...there are plenty more.

Our team core has been there for 6-7 years, the Pies really have come to the fore recently. They are very good, but I just think we are tougher. Let's drag 'em into the trenches, and they will not stand up to it.

Calm has descended. We are going to win....!
Last edited by Verdun66 on Wed 29 Sep 2010 4:30am, edited 3 times in total.

[SuB]
Club Player

What a ripper post :D

saint3d
Club Player

Re: A calm has descended

Well said.
Verdun66 wrote:They also have stars, but I honestly don't think they have any that head BJ, Roo, and Lenny.
I don't think any team has three players better than those.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

[SuB] wrote:What a ripper post :D
Love it

GRAMophone
Club Player

Great post and I'm daring to hope you're right Verdun.

Thought I would just add that the guy who sat next to me at the game last Saturday was wearing a very old Saints guernsey. Turns out that it was Verdun Howell's very own guernsey from '66. Gave me goosebumps.

HOPELESSLY DEVOTED
Verdun66
SS Hall of Fame

Wow. Should be in the Saints Museum. I wore No 16 (obviously) when I was a kid. Not that one sadly. Be worth a few bob!

St Loxton
Club Player

Very nice post, im slowly getting that calm confident feeling also. Just feel we have developed a steely resolve and professionalism that the pies dont. The game may be close to half time then their back will be broken and we will mentally impose ourselves and kick away from them at will. C'mon Sainters.

Hunter Clark 2024 StKilda Saints Premiership captain.
howlinwolf
Club Player

I couldn't agree more.

Let the bookies hold them as favorites still ????

Their main advantage is leg speed.
After last Saturday that is gone I reckon. They can't front up again with a
speed advantage after what that game took out of them.

If there is to be a blow out i can see it going our way as our big guns will
shine.
If it is close I'll be very confident. Our determination will carry us.

And when we win they will write it up as an upset.
Not for me.

Robert Harvey's last home game. 24 Aug 2008
StKilda 13.17 def Adelaide 6.11
Thinline
Saintsational Legend

Excellent. And I agree.

I've felt the same since the siren sounded last week and when while the Pies wallowed in the what might have been ponderings our boys lifted themselves of the MCG turf, formed a tight circle around their skipper and vowed to fight it out.

Two hours of everything, lads. Smarter, harder, tougher, wiser, braver.

"The inches we need are everywhere around us. They're in every break in the game. Every minute, every second. On this team we fight for that inch. On this team we tear ourselves and everyone around us to pieces for that inch. We claw with our fingernails for that inch. Because we know when we add up all those inches that's gonna make the f***in' difference between winning and losing! Between living and dying!'
gringo
Saintsational Legend

I posted last week, that I thought we had more game breakers -guys that can regularly smash open a tight game off their own initiative.

We have in no particular order:

N.Riewoldt- enough said

Schnieder- Underrated small forward who can kick multiple quick goals.

Milney- See above

Goddard- Just put him anywhere you need him and watch him go.

Lenny- Just the will to carry his team in to battle on his shoulders.

I can really only see Didak, Daisy and possibly Swan being in that game breaking category at the Pies.

Pendlebury, Cloke, Davis are all potential breakers but don't get the job done regularly or play elite games without breaking through to that next level.

You could mount a case for sam Fisher and Gilbert for us as well but probably not consistent enough.

St. Luke
Saintsational Legend

I'm feeling good! Really bloody good!! :D

When they created LENNY HAYES (in the shadow of Harvs) they forgot to break the mold (again)- hence the Supremely Incredible Jack Steven!!
TazzieSaintGirl83
Club Player

This is a WONDERFUL post!!!! Bloody brilliant
I am right there with you. I honest to goodness have goosebumps right now.

I love our club and love our supporters! Our boys have pushed through it all this season and are still standing tall.

Bring it home

GO SAINTS

100% Sainter Girl Through and Through
degruch
Saintsational Legend

Cool...just what I've been saying all week. In fact, it's just what I was saying all last week too!

Saints win in an upset? Anyone who knows anything about these two teams, knows that Collingwood getting within 4 goals last Saturday was the real upset (I'm still shocked), thankfully everyone pumped the Pies tyres so much it looks the reverse...the Pies won't get that lucky twice in a row, I'm sure of it.

Waltzing St Kilda
SS Hall of Fame

Four of our last five finals have been absolute nailbiters:

GF Part One.
QF versus Geelong
GF 2009.
Prelim 2009.

Wouldn't it be great to coast to victory for a change?

On the other hand, that sort of experience is priceless. The Pies just can't match it.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

We are due for a big firts term. Filth will think they can just turn it on but won't find it so easy when we jump them.

Saints to kick seven in the first and go on to win by 20 points.

Roo to win the Norm Smith.

It will be one for the ages.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
fingers
Saintsational Legend

I love his post. Thank you so much.

ChicagoSaint
Club Player

howlinwolf wrote:And when we win they will write it up as an upset.
who's They?

Moods
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote:I posted last week, that I thought we had more game breakers -guys that can regularly smash open a tight game off their own initiative.

N.Riewoldt- enough said

Milney- See above

I can really only see Didak, Daisy and possibly Swan being in that game breaking category at the Pies.

Pendlebury, Cloke, Davis are all potential breakers but don't get the job done regularly or play elite games without breaking through to that next level.

You could mount a case for sam Fisher and Gilbert for us as well but probably not consistent enough.
Agree with your post - however I would definitely rate BJ as a game breaker as well after last weekend..... Alomost our most lethal weapon one would think.

Chenks05

:D What a fantastic post!! I was very calm last week aswell....at half time my husband, dad, mum and brother were all downcast thinking we'd lost it...I was very calm and had the weirdest feeling that weren't going to lose but not win either....very strange :shock: Ofcourse I now know why! This week I am extremely calm and really can't wait for the game....and this post just made me all the more excited for Saturday to hurry up!! Go Saints!!

Seeking to forget makes exile all the longer; the secret of redemption lies in remembrance.
Thinline
Saintsational Legend

Moods wrote:
gringo wrote:I posted last week, that I thought we had more game breakers -guys that can regularly smash open a tight game off their own initiative.

N.Riewoldt- enough said

Milney- See above

Agree with your post - however I would definitely rate BJ as a game breaker as well after last weekend..... Alomost our most lethal weapon one would think.
The beauty about him is he's tag-proof. Not that the Pies have a tagger anyway. Even if they did, BJ's too strong, too quick, too smart one on one and too fit. They simply have to punt on having someone equally as dangerous. But there ain';t no one.

"The inches we need are everywhere around us. They're in every break in the game. Every minute, every second. On this team we fight for that inch. On this team we tear ourselves and everyone around us to pieces for that inch. We claw with our fingernails for that inch. Because we know when we add up all those inches that's gonna make the f***in' difference between winning and losing! Between living and dying!'
howlinwolf
Club Player

ChicagoSaint wrote:
howlinwolf wrote:And when we win they will write it up as an upset.
who's They?
The media.

Robert Harvey's last home game. 24 Aug 2008
StKilda 13.17 def Adelaide 6.11
I Love Peter Kiel
Club Player

Great post verdun66.

I think we will kick away and win by 5 or 6 goals.

2010= Year of the Saint

In honour of those who went before, in the dark and desperate years.
saintnick12
Club Player

Great post Verdun66

I'm feeling it too.

This is our year

GO SAINTS!!

"At the end of the day, a coach and a fitness adviser doesn't make a good football team, they're not the only ones who got us to two Grand Finals." Lenny Hayes. 27/9/2011.
lendog heaven
Club Player

great post Verdun66.

The media last week saw our only strength as Rooey. He was a major contributor ( that mark on the wing in the last got us to the draw) but nothing like the Rooey we know and love.

He is hardly getting a mention this week and they're doing interviews with Nathan Brown abt his suppression of our skipper (you poor bastard Nathan, wait till you see what happens this week).

People are starting to notice that we do have one or 2 other reasonable players and are trying to plot their demise to no avail.

All said and done, Verdun66, your post has made me feel so much more confident and I really think that our boys will deliver. We have the best coach and onfield leaders in the comp & are more resilient and focused.

No-one deserves the premiership more than our team (and of course our incomparable, fantastically loyal supporters).

Tramps like us.............
matrix
Saintsational Legend

bloody great post verdun66
8-)