Luke confusion--time will help _ I hope

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

Luke confusion--time will help _ I hope

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/e ... 16232.html
That's me,'' said Ball of his restraint. But he acknowledged, too, that, as a former captain of the vanquished, he felt that a conspicuous celebration wasn't appropriate.

''I don't think it would have looked good,'' he said. ''Obviously, they played the grand final last year. But I get asked a bit … is that sort of vindication? It's really not at all. It hasn't been like that, hasn't been about that all year.

''I've got great respect for the coach down to the whole playing group. It was all about sort of, just trying to, I guess restart a career. So I can't thank Mick [Malthouse] and the Collingwood footy club enough for giving me that opportunity. Amazing how it turned out.''

In the rooms, Luke's father Ray Ball admitted that the family had been somewhat torn by the experience of playing the Saints. Ray, a former Richmond and South Melbourne player, said: ''I feel very relieved for him and just proud that he's proven to himself that he can play still. That's all.

''I feel a bit, not torn, but there's still a lot of, I think, Luke's heart, the family's heart, at St Kilda in a way. So it's mixed feelings.''

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/l ... 5933330898
AS MUCH as we wanted to hear him say it, Luke Ball was never going to be use the "V" word yesterday.

That's V for vindication - the emotion many thought would be running through his head last night.

Ball had always been a mature and measured young man and he was desperate to appear humble in victory and gracious to his former St Kilda teammates.

http://news.smh.com.au/breaking-news-sp ... 162h9.html
Ball, 26, tried to downplay his emotions on Saturday, saying it was a "weird feeling".

But the midfielder was more forthcoming on Sunday at a function at Gosch's Paddock before an estimated 20,000 fans.

Asked if winning his first premiership medal meant even more because it came against his former club, he said: "I've been saying no for 24 hours but I think in front of this crowd I can say yes.
"I certainly feel for them (St Kilda) because I felt it last year and there's no worse feeling," Ball added.

and yes I can't let it go because it hurts.... There I've said it-- he left us and it hurts.... and that's MY reaction

I still wonder if there was something more akin to depression than other reasons.... I'm confused By LUke's backflipping...

and if so then the break was good for him-- maybe....... :?

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
dcstkfc
Saintsational Legend

Credit to him, genuine class.

STRENGTH THROUGH LOYALTY.

‎''I still get really excited, and I've got the '66 thing up on the wall in a frame … You look at it and think: one day, we want to achieve that.''- Arryn Siposs
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

I could care less bout Ball to be honest and still dont think we lost a GF by 50pts cause we didnt have Luke Ball.

I do believe though that after just 1 year at Pies.....Luke is understandably not really feeling a "complete Pie" and thats normal....so ofcourse he feels attached to us in some way and just maybe his Premiership doesnt quikte feel as euphoric as if it wouldve had he won it with the guys he busted his guts with for 7 or so years and for whom he once captained......

That said he took the cash so that is all for Luke for mine.

“Yeah….nah””
Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

A class act. That's why he captained St Kilda.

Luke has never done anything to bag the Saints.

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
AdelaideSainter
Club Player

Bernard Shakey wrote:A class act. That's why he captained St Kilda.

Luke has never done anything to bag the Saints.
Agreed.

FQF
SS Life Member

It's in the past.

He's not coming back, and whatever he feels now for St. Kilda will continue to wear off till we are just another club.

desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

Well done Luke!
Great servant in his time with us... :cry:

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote:I could care less bout Ball to be honest and still dont think we lost a GF by 50pts cause we didnt have Luke Ball.

I do believe though that after just 1 year at Pies.....Luke is understandably not really feeling a "complete Pie" and thats normal....so ofcourse he feels attached to us in some way and just maybe his Premiership doesnt quikte feel as euphoric as if it wouldve had he won it with the guys he busted his guts with for 7 or so years and for whom he once captained......

I think people are missing the point on Luke Ball. It is a waste of time either bagging him or praising him. Once he decided to go it was in our interest to get the best possible outcome for the saints. We didnt do that. pick 30 and tyson goldscck are are whole heap better than bubkis and some imagined "draft intgrity" fantasy that lyon tried to spin (and many fans bought). Nooone remembers. Noone cares. Just take 30 and goldasck and move on. But ooooooohhhh no. Mr "in ross we trust" had some weird ideological axe to grind and came up short.

resaintlee
Club Player

He can say what he likes now to try to ease his conscience. The fact is he left us for the money so why should we care about what he says he is feeling.

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:
Teflon wrote:I could care less bout Ball to be honest and still dont think we lost a GF by 50pts cause we didnt have Luke Ball.

I think people are missing the point on Luke Ball. It is a waste of time either bagging him or praising him. Once he decided to go it was in our interest to get the best possible outcome for the saints. We didnt do that. pick 30 and tyson goldscck are are whole heap better than bubkis and some imagined "draft intgrity" fantasy that lyon tried to spin (and many fans bought). Nooone remembers. Noone cares. Just take 30 and goldasck and move on. But ooooooohhhh no. Mr "in ross we trust" had some weird ideological axe to grind and came up short.
I recall Port took the same approach with Nick Stevens when the Pies tried to screw them at Trade week. They stood firm and ended up getting nothing and on that occasion the Pies also missed out.

There’s already talk of other clubs this year forcing players into the draft if they can’t get a fair deal.

If we had traded Ball for what we considered less than adequate compensation the Pies would have done us over again and again.

If this scenario arises again, it’s unlikely one of our guns will last til they Pies get a chance to select them. They now know they have to be fair dinkum when dealing with the Saints.

Many, including you Con, will disagree with that but I am comfortable with our stance. I seriously doubt that whatever was offered up for Ball (and I still haven’t seen any official confirmation from the clubs of what that was) would have made much difference to our year.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:

You're assuming we thought he was going to leave anyway. When it fell through wasn't there a reasonable chance he was going to stay?

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Dr Spaceman wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:

I recall Port took the same approach with Nick Stevens when the Pies tried to screw them at Trade week. They stood firm and ended up getting nothing and on that occasion the Pies also missed out.

There’s already talk of other clubs this year forcing players into the draft if they can’t get a fair deal.

If we had traded Ball for what we considered less than adequate compensation the Pies would have done us over again and again.

If this scenario arises again, it’s unlikely one of our guns will last til they Pies get a chance to select them. They now know they have to be fair dinkum when dealing with the Saints.

Many, including you Con, will disagree with that but I am comfortable with our stance. I seriously doubt that whatever was offered up for Ball (and I still haven’t seen any official confirmation from the clubs of what that was) would have made much difference to our year.
I understood that they were trying hard to give Wellingham to the Roos for an pick in the early 20's wich was to then be given to the |scrays for Anjays Everett. Dogs did not want to do the deal so it fell through. I would taken a straight swap for Wellingham if that was true.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
Animal Enclosure
SS Hall of Fame

Con Gorozidis wrote:

Goldsack & 30 were never on the table.

It was 25 & that's it.

We could have probably got Wellingham & 30 but 12 months ago Wellingham was a fringe player & was not rated by Collingwood nor St Kilda (hence the filth being happy to trade him to North for #25).