The cost of scalping

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saintsrus
SS Hall of Fame

The cost of scalping

I know of a Afl member who sold his ticket to the GF2 at more than face value and got caught out.

The buyer was checked upon entry and was asked to produce the afl members card of which he didnt have. He told them it was a gift but this is not allowed as tickets are not transferable.

End result, details were taken, buyer was allowed in the ground and the member just had a call from the Afl saying his membership has been cancelled and not accepting the gift story.

Hes not happy but hes lucky they didnt prosecute him for scalping

Lets hope our club follows suit for all the social club members selling their tickets last saturday, but im sure it wont happen

Before Im 85
saint vince
Club Player

I am pretty sure that Social Club members who buy a ticket have no responsibility to not give it away or sell it. No where did it say that my ticket was not transferable.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Re: The cost of scalping

saintsrus wrote:I know of a Afl member who sold his ticket to the GF2 at more than face value and got caught out.

The buyer was checked upon entry and was asked to produce the afl members card of which he didnt have. He told them it was a gift but this is not allowed as tickets are not transferable.

End result, details were taken, buyer was allowed in the ground and the member just had a call from the Afl saying his membership has been cancelled and not accepting the gift story.

Hes not happy but hes lucky they didnt prosecute him for scalping

Lets hope our club follows suit for all the social club members selling their tickets last saturday, but im sure it wont happen
How could they do it? Also I dont think the AFL member could be charged with scalping unless he sold it for more than the value and the AFL arent the cops anyway so they couldnt do a thing. By the way I did the same thing and gave mine to my sister in law and reckon plenty of others did to.

ChicagoSaint
Club Player

wish i had sold my ticket now. still have the ticket from the draw in mint condition if anyone wants to buy it?

HSVKing
Saintsational Legend

Must have been from the only person actually checking properly.

I was asked, and as I was fishing my ticket out of my wallet, the guy said "All good, no worries."

If I didn't have it in there, this act would have gotten me away with using someone elses ticket without a problem.

Good to know something is being done though, bad luck on your friends behalf.

They walk amongst us...

missgez
Club Player

This is something I am always worried about!

You are not allowed to transfer your ticket even at cost price - this goes for all H&A matches, finals and the GF.

Very very unlucky to get caught.

HSVKing
Saintsational Legend

missgez wrote:You are not allowed to transfer your ticket even at cost price - this goes for all H&A matches, finals and the GF.
If people didn't sell their tickets to make some money, they would have no problem with it.

Scalpers ruin it for the genuine ones who can't make it to the game when something has come up, or the people who buy tickets who are in a position to do so, for someone who wants to go but can't get one.

They really need to clamp down on the scalpers, but allow those genuine ones the right to do so, but unfortunately it would be extremely difficult to police.

They walk amongst us...

missgez
Club Player

HSVKing wrote:
missgez wrote:You are not allowed to transfer your ticket even at cost price - this goes for all H&A matches, finals and the GF.
If people didn't sell their tickets to make some money, they would have no problem with it.

Scalpers ruin it for the genuine ones who can't make it to the game when something has come up, or the people who buy tickets who are in a position to do so, for someone who wants to go but can't get one.

They really need to clamp down on the scalpers, but allow those genuine ones the right to do so, but unfortunately it would be extremely difficult to police.
Well on all the ticketing information I saw there were warnings about transferring tickets and needing to have your membership card and photo ID on the day to prove the ticket was yours. I think they would have a problem anyway even without the scalping as those entitled to tickets who missed out may then be usurped by people who may not have a membership etc. Not very good for their marketing of memberships I guess.

ace
Saintsational Legend

These rules only apply to the AFL members and the MCC members, they do not apply to the public areas of the ground..

But I am surpirsed that the reserved seat ticket is used as the entry requirement to the AFL members reserve.

MCC members still use their MCC membership card for entry into the MCC reserve and the reserved ticket only reserves the seat.

My understanding is that Medallion Club members can transfer their medallions (especially as many are bought in a business name).
The medallion would have been able to buy a reserved seat but then the attendee would need to be able to produce the medallion on request.
Last edited by ace on Wed 06 Oct 2010 5:51pm, edited 1 time in total.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.

If you are not engaging AI actively and aggressively, you are doing it wrong.
You are not going to lose your job to AI.
You are going lose your job to somebody who uses AI.
Your company is not going to go out of business because of AI.
Your company is going to go out of business because another company used AI.
- Jensen Huang, CEO of NVIDIA
Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

Must only apply to the AFL Members Tickets?

I've just checked the ticket I purchased through my Social Club Membership and according to teh 'rules' on the back,

the only thing you are barred from doing is 'selling, without written permission from Ticketek or teh Seller, for a premium above the face value of the ticket.

My reading of that is that if you sell it for face value, you don't need anyone's permission.

If you want to sell it for more, you might need to get creative.
Given all the 'corporate tickets' eeing sold for $800-$2000 including breakfast/lunch, I reckon you could sell the ticket for more than face value providing you provide a sandwich/roll/drink with the ticket
You could alwasy claim taht you're selling teh ticket at Face Value and just charging a premium for the add-on.

ace
Saintsational Legend

Mr Magic wrote:Must only apply to the AFL Members Tickets?

I've just checked the ticket I purchased through my Social Club Membership and according to teh 'rules' on the back,

the only thing you are barred from doing is 'selling, without written permission from Ticketek or teh Seller, for a premium above the face value of the ticket.

My reading of that is that if you sell it for face value, you don't need anyone's permission.

Given all the 'corporate tickets' eeing sold for $800-$2000 including breakfast/lunch, I reckon you could sell the ticket for more than face value providing you provide a sandwich/roll/drink with the ticket
You could alwasy claim taht you're selling teh ticket at Face Value and just charging a premium for the add-on.
Don't forget to declare your profit on your income income tax return and pay GST and on your additional service. :D
Last edited by ace on Wed 06 Oct 2010 5:57pm, edited 1 time in total.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.

If you are not engaging AI actively and aggressively, you are doing it wrong.
You are not going to lose your job to AI.
You are going lose your job to somebody who uses AI.
Your company is not going to go out of business because of AI.
Your company is going to go out of business because another company used AI.
- Jensen Huang, CEO of NVIDIA
Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

ace wrote:
Mr Magic wrote:Must only apply to the AFL Members Tickets?

Don't forget to pay your GST on your additional service.
Well if you just provided fruit then there is no GST.

VietNam_Saint
Club Player

Well good luck to the bloke for selling his ticket. I wish more members had of taken that option and made a few bucks and re-sold there tickets, at least that way there wouldnt have been 6000 empty seats.
Bottom line is this ,, if you want to see the GF then get a ticket ,, it really isn't that hard ,, remember though ,, it's a luxury and not everyone can afford it, life is about choices.

As for those who are so dead against scalping ,, where do you think you are ,, the USSR pre the collapse of the Soviet Union.

Long live choice, free enterprise and market value which i might point out is self regulating by supply and demand.

END THUS FAR

What will be next from this club ?
St Michele
Club Player

No I do not think we are in the USSR but I think it is unfair to take advantage of another by onselling a ticket for a profit. It ruins all public events and pushes the price up for all of us.

I have spoken to Ticktek etc a few times and said even if they printed the names on tickets and randomly checked they would put a stop to this...

I for one am happy that they cancelled his membership I would like to hope that many more were caught as well.

Michele
Goals are dreams with deadlines!!
Shades
Club Player

ChicagoSaint wrote:wish i had sold my ticket now. still have the ticket from the draw in mint condition if anyone wants to buy it?
lol