Ban Paul Connors for Draft Tampering

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

gringo
Saintsational Legend

Ban Paul Connors for Draft Tampering

Paul Connors is advising anyone that touches Tarrant that he will retire if drafted.

That is DRAFT TAMPERING if a trade fails to happen he should not be allowed nominate and I believe the only way the AFL can stop it happening in the future would be to sanction player agents like Connors for 2 years.

Connors is laughing at the AFL for not clamping down on Ball's trade, now they are feeling like they have the right to manipulate the rules to advantage his players. Ban him and make a stand against corruption or the AFL looks like a pack of piss weak cowards ready to roll over when ever Collingwood speaks.

Stephen Theodore
SS Hall of Fame

Let him retire then.

He doesnt strike me as the sought of person thats going to make decent money outside of footy, hence the retirement will be shortlived.

Eastern
Saintsational Legend

In both cases Connors is attempting/getting his players to Collingwood. Last year he advised Ball NOT to speak to St Kilda or Melb or any other club (that's why Ball advised Ross of his decision via text message). This year Tarrant (via Connors) has said its Collingwood or retirement.

It's NOT 2012 and Free Agency yet. Time for the AFL to act, if it's brave enough !!

NEW scarf signature (hopefully with correct spelling) will be here as soon as it arrives !!

degruch
Saintsational Legend

Totally agree, the AFL certainly should be actively discouraging managers who encourage players to tamper...are managers registered or officially AFL endorsed? Or can I rock up and start selling players to clubs?

Eastern
Saintsational Legend

degruch wrote:Totally agree, the AFL certainly should be actively discouraging managers who encourage players to tamper...are managers registered or officially AFL endorsed? Or can I rock up and start selling players to clubs?
Yes they are and No you can't !!

NEW scarf signature (hopefully with correct spelling) will be here as soon as it arrives !!

degruch
Saintsational Legend

Eastern wrote:
degruch wrote:Totally agree, the AFL certainly should be actively discouraging managers who encourage players to tamper...are managers registered or officially AFL endorsed? Or can I rock up and start selling players to clubs?
Yes they are and No you can't !!
De-register him...and give his players to me!

suss
Club Player

Didn't Conners handle the deal when Judd moved from West Coast to Carlton? If I remember rightly, Richmond offered West Coast a better deal of picks and players but Judd still went to Carlton because that's where he wanted to go. I don't know how this guy keeps getting away with it.

Eastern
Saintsational Legend

suss wrote:Didn't Conners handle the deal when Judd moved from West Coast to Carlton? If I remember rightly, Richmond offered West Coast a better deal of picks and players but Judd still went to Carlton because that's where he wanted to go. I don't know how this guy keeps getting away with it.
Yes, he and Judd "interviewed" perspective clubs including Melbourne & Collingwood before they settled on Carlton. The difference between the Judd deal and these other two is that Judd DEMANDED that West Coast be adequately compensated whereas Ball was happy for us to get nothing !!

Thinline
Saintsational Legend

Eastern wrote:
suss wrote:Didn't Conners handle the deal when Judd moved from West Coast to Carlton? If I remember rightly, Richmond offered West Coast a better deal of picks and players but Judd still went to Carlton because that's where he wanted to go. I don't know how this guy keeps getting away with it.
Yes, he and Judd "interviewed" perspective clubs including Melbourne & Collingwood before they settled on Carlton. The difference between the Judd deal and these other two is that Judd DEMANDED that West Coast be adequately compensated whereas Ball was happy for us to get nothing !!
It's a good point...

"The inches we need are everywhere around us. They're in every break in the game. Every minute, every second. On this team we fight for that inch. On this team we tear ourselves and everyone around us to pieces for that inch. We claw with our fingernails for that inch. Because we know when we add up all those inches that's gonna make the f***in' difference between winning and losing! Between living and dying!'
gringo
Saintsational Legend

After hearing Connors preach his new rules now that Ball got his wish, it makes me even more sure that the stink coming from the Ball deal wasn't from our side.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

If Chris Judd had walked out on WCE and slipped through to his club of choice like Ball, there would be huge ramifications. Melbourne made it very clear they were keen on Ball, so it was clearly tampering when Connors told Ball to refuse to talk to any other clubs.

All players would like to move to a club on the verge of success…

Free Agency Rule #1

The player is not eligible for free agency if his club wishes to retain him.

Free Agency wouldn't have helped Ball either, as we had an offer on the table.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Hasnt broken any rules yet because he hasnt nominated for the draft. If he does and still has this opinion then he has broken a rule. Will be traded so end of story.

degruch
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:Hasnt broken any rules yet because he hasnt nominated for the draft. If he does and still has this opinion then he has broken a rule. Will be traded so end of story.
He's openly pushing a player to flout the rules, as he did with Luke Ball. Surely declaring you won't sign to any other club than your chosen one, inside the draft system, is breaking the rules?

Paul Connors sounds like he's on a Collingwood kick-back to me.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

He should at least be shut up by the AFL as he makes them look inadequate.

degruch
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote:He should at least be shut up by the AFL as he makes them look inadequate.
Apparently he is a one man alternative to Free Agency.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

degruch wrote:
plugger66 wrote:Hasnt broken any rules yet because he hasnt nominated for the draft. If he does and still has this opinion then he has broken a rule. Will be traded so end of story.
He's openly pushing a player to flout the rules, as he did with Luke Ball. Surely declaring you won't sign to any other club than your chosen one, inside the draft system, is breaking the rules?

Until he actually breaks a rule, he hasnt done anything wrong. What rule did Luke Ball break?

PaulieGa
Club Player

Tarrant seems similar to Fraser Gehrig in the psd, whats the difference?

degruch
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
degruch wrote:

Until he actually breaks a rule, he hasnt done anything wrong. What rule did Luke Ball break?
Preventing other clubs access to his client. If nothing else, not quite in the spirit of the draft, me thinks.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

Like I said before it's all a matter of how good the player is…
Say Pavlich wanted to come to StKilda,
Fremantle ask for Gilbert and Dal Santo in return (or whoever),
We say no…
Pavlich nominates for the draft but tells all and sundry that he'll retire if he doesn't get to StKilda at pick 24.

How do you think the AFL and other clubs would react to that?

It's F-ing cheating…
Same as the Ball situation.

saint75
SS Hall of Fame

dragit wrote:Like I said before it's all a matter of how good the player is…
Say Pavlich wanted to come to StKilda,
Fremantle ask for Gilbert and Dal Santo in return (or whoever),
We say no…
Pavlich nominates for the draft but tells all and sundry that he'll retire if he doesn't get to StKilda at pick 24.

How do you think the AFL and other clubs would react to that?

It's F-ing cheating…
Same as the Ball situation.
Wonder if the footy public and the media will bleat and moan at how Freemantle stuffed up and got nothing for Tarrant. :P

Fortius Quo Fidelius
Thinline
Saintsational Legend

degruch wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
degruch wrote:

Preventing other clubs access to his client. If nothing else, not quite in the spirit of the draft, me thinks.
I tend to agree. The draft was designed to eliminate choice.

"The inches we need are everywhere around us. They're in every break in the game. Every minute, every second. On this team we fight for that inch. On this team we tear ourselves and everyone around us to pieces for that inch. We claw with our fingernails for that inch. Because we know when we add up all those inches that's gonna make the f***in' difference between winning and losing! Between living and dying!'
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
degruch wrote:

He refused to speak to other clubs including his own team mates then they spread some bulls!t that he was going to stay which put other teams off the scent.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

SaintPav wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
degruch wrote:

He refused to speak to other clubs including his own team mates then they spread some bulls!t that he was going to stay which put other teams off the scent.
Yes but what rule did he break?

Thinline
Saintsational Legend

Should the rules be changed? If so how?

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
SaintPav wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
degruch wrote:

Yes but what rule did he break?
technically none apparently...

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.