Ryan Gamble

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Linton Street Saint
Club Player

Ryan Gamble

Well looks like he will be going into the draft .... only 23 I remember some wraps being put on the kid.

Any interest ?

evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

Probably didn't do enough from his chances for mine. Not a bad player, though.

Can see him going to Gold Coast and being a reasonable top-up player for them.

We've done extremely well in taking players on who've done the "apprenticeship" before inserting them in our team but that's generally been with players who have a substantially untapped upside. I'm not sure Gamble has this.

I'm starting to feel like it's time to invest a little more in the likes of Jack Steven, Al Smith and Rhys Stanley.
Last edited by evertonfc on Tue 19 Oct 2010 2:57pm, edited 1 time in total.

Clueless and mediocre petty tyrant.

Thinline
Saintsational Legend

Charlie Gardiner Mk II.

Nup.

"The inches we need are everywhere around us. They're in every break in the game. Every minute, every second. On this team we fight for that inch. On this team we tear ourselves and everyone around us to pieces for that inch. We claw with our fingernails for that inch. Because we know when we add up all those inches that's gonna make the f***in' difference between winning and losing! Between living and dying!'
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

It would be a gamble :oops: :lol:

Thinline
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:It would be a gamble :oops: :lol:
Hang your head K...

"The inches we need are everywhere around us. They're in every break in the game. Every minute, every second. On this team we fight for that inch. On this team we tear ourselves and everyone around us to pieces for that inch. We claw with our fingernails for that inch. Because we know when we add up all those inches that's gonna make the f***in' difference between winning and losing! Between living and dying!'
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Thinline wrote:
Hang your head K...
:wink:

Seriously though, I think too much is thought of the guys who can't break into the senior side at Geelong...

It's like people have a perception that because the senior list is so good, it's generally assumed that they are more starved of opportunity...

When maybe they are just not up to it?

StNoodles
Club Player

I'd look at him for the right price. Also Dowler and Carls Peterson from Hawks.

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:
Thinline wrote:
Hang your head K...

Seriously though, I think too much is thought of the guys who can't break into the senior side at Geelong...

It's like people have a perception that because the senior list is so good, it's generally assumed that they are more starved of opportunity...

As I believe Thinline alluded to with his Charlie Gardner comment.

evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

Clueless and mediocre petty tyrant.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Dr Spaceman wrote:
SainterK wrote:
Thinline wrote:
Hang your head K...

Ah yes, he did...

Makes sense really, when you have so many stars under the salary cap, it's probably more likely that your second stringers are maybe not so great?

older saint
SS Life Member

StNoodles wrote:I'd look at him for the right price. Also Dowler and Carls Peterson from Hawks.
Dowler injury prone and Peterson not committed to footy hence why 2 clubs have gotten rid of him

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:
Dr Spaceman wrote:
SainterK wrote:
Thinline wrote:
Hang your head K...

Ah yes, he did...

Makes sense really, when you have so many stars under the salary cap, it's probably more likely that your second stringers are maybe not so great?
And unfortunately, when clubs pick up these guys there appears to be, at least subconsciously, a determination to play them.

I'd much rather we back in our own developing players than take a punt on these sorts of blokes.

Saintersss
Club Player

Have always liked Gamble. This year he was played in defence all year (because Geelong are in need more a defender than a forward) and he is defiently not suited to that role.

Is perfect for the third tall need we have and I wouldn't be against picking him up with a late pick or even as a mature age rookie pick.

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

Saintersss wrote:Have always liked Gamble. This year he was played in defence all year (because Geelong are in need more a defender than a forward) and he is defiently not suited to that role.

Is perfect for the third tall need we have and I wouldn't be against him picking him up with a late pick or even as a mature age rookie pick.
Geelong FC website lists him as 184cm, ie 1cm taller than Armo & Geary.

Regardless of his ability I'm not sure he's that perfect for the third tall role :?

MadSaintFan
Club Player

In terms of a 3rd Forward role I'd much prefer Tommy Lynch to be given first crack at trying to make this position his own. He was touted as the best lead up forward in his draft year and I expect him to be given alot more chances at cementing a spot in this role next year.

Paul Cahill is still on the list - does anyone think he will be a player for us? I havent seen/read enough about him at Sandy.

St Chris
SS Hall of Fame

I still think we're a young KPP short since Jaryd Allen got injured, especially now Patterson was axed. Stanley, long term, is a ruckman, and Other key position types are, by nature, defenders. Tommy Walsh is obviously a bit question mark here, but he really is only an 16 year old in terms of footy development.

If we were to pick Gamble up, just think of him as a shorter but non-injured version on Allen. And even if he is only 184cm, he plays much bigger than that. He seems good on a lead, and with a bigger tank could play furthre from goal as the 3rd leading forward.

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

St Chris wrote:I still think we're a young KPP short since Jaryd Allen got injured, especially now Patterson was axed. Stanley, long term, is a ruckman, and Other key position types are, by nature, defenders. Tommy Walsh is obviously a bit question mark here, but he really is only an 16 year old in terms of footy development.

If we were to pick Gamble up, just think of him as a shorter but non-injured version on Allen. And even if he is only 184cm, he plays much bigger than that. He seems good on a lead, and with a bigger tank could play furthre from goal as the 3rd leading forward.
Ross has already signalled his intention to perservere with Gilbo up forward.

But apart from that we have Stanley, Lynch, Cahill, Walsh & Archer as guys who could potentially fill a marking role somewhere in the forward line.

Of course some of those guys may struggle to make it but the point is we do have some "baking out the back" :wink:

And of course we may still pick up a tall in the Draft.

ThePunter
Club Player

Our complete lack of activity in trade week and Ross' comments makes me think we'll be looking for within for improvement, and be stocking up on youngsters in the draft.

Moods
Saintsational Legend

ThePunter wrote:Our complete lack of activity in trade week and Ross' comments makes me think we'll be looking for within for improvement, and be stocking up on youngsters in the draft.
AS we should IU reckon. WE've had our go at rejigging recycled players, and quite successfully too I reckon. I'm looking fwd to Steven, Miles, Stanley, even Armo have more game time next year and see where we are at. Gilbo fwd and Raph slotting in down back I like as well (or Miles). If Kos can't give us much more let's hope Stanley can step in.

If Mini and Eddy can't improve well armo and Steven or Heyne can have an extended turn. Time for Tom Lynch to step up as well I reckon. Third year in the system, let's see what he can do.

Saintersss
Club Player

Dr Spaceman wrote:
Saintersss wrote:Have always liked Gamble. This year he was played in defence all year (because Geelong are in need more a defender than a forward) and he is defiently not suited to that role.

Is perfect for the third tall need we have and I wouldn't be against him picking him up with a late pick or even as a mature age rookie pick.

Regardless of his ability I'm not sure he's that perfect for the third tall role :?
Fevola is 191cm, but is still a tall forward, while someone like Bate is 192cm and considered a medium forward. Chapman is 180cm and is also considered a medium/3rd forward.
It really depends on how you play and how good overhead you are, rather than your height. (although height is still important)

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

geelong fans think his skills aren't up 2 scratch and question his work rate

poor skills is just something we don't need

that being said, I've always liked the look of him

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

Saintersss wrote:
Dr Spaceman wrote:

Fevola is 191cm, but is still a tall forward, while someone like Bate is 192cm and considered a medium forward. Chapman is 180cm and is also considered a medium/3rd forward.
It really depends on how you play and how good overhead you are, rather than your height. (although height is still important)
I think that is the key to the 3rd forward; to be a marking threat. No doubt that's what appeals about Gilbo.

I personally think one of our problems with developing this type of player has been our alliance with Sandy and their reliance on Nick Sauntner. Don't get me wrong, the Zebs have to do what they have to do and NS is a goal kicking machine. However from what I've seen, and admittedly that's not much, it's very hard for the young Saints forwards to demand the ball with Nick out there.

Hopefully this will be addressed somehow in 2011.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Sounds a promising type. 25 games in 5 years suggests he could be very good.

St Ick
SS Hall of Fame

plugger66 wrote:Sounds a promising type. 25 games in 5 years suggests he could be very good.
At that rate, he could be a very handy 100 game player over 20 years assuming he stays durable...

I remember there were huge wraps on him as a young player from the Geelong faithful, then went nowhere, but honestly, the likes of Chappy, Johnson, Stokes, Varcoe, Ablett, etc etc are a little better than Mini and Eddy so you never know... right price, why not? But would need to be one of our last picks only if there was absolutely noone left!

Strength through Loyalty
Go those mighty Sainters!!
SaintSimmo
Club Player

if he doesnt get a game at geelong, why should he get one here??

Sainter for life.