Disappointed with the Herald Sun.

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

philtee
Club Player

Disappointed with the Herald Sun.

The HS is loving the nude pics story, and is riding it for all it's worth.
Well, it's a Murdoch paper in a competitive environment, and any story that combines footy, sex and social media is irresistible to
a certain type of newspaper.

But three things in today's HS are very unfair -
Susie O'Brien's column - "I can't help thinking that once again this is another example of well-paid high-profile sportsmen acting like
little boys." That is - this is all the players' fault.

Patrick Carlyon's on-line opinion piece -
"But what the photo does imply is a mindset better associated with the antics of 13-year-olds, at boarding school". That is - it's all Nick's fault.

And the uninformed comments from "Gorgeous" Ruby Rose at her talent agency's Xmas bash, printed as being an
authoritative comment - "I don't want to see (those photos) again,
and why did he let someone do that ?". That is - it was Nick's fault.

It would appear that the HS has chosen sides in this affair, and they are certainly not with St Kilda.
Last edited by philtee on Wed 22 Dec 2010 10:12am, edited 1 time in total.

Badlands
Club Player

i'm also disgusted (though not the slightest bit surprised) that the H Sun has made no attempt to indicate that Riewoldt's version of events - that the photo was taken at a Miami hotel - is almost certainly true, which surely reduces any shred of credibility this nutjob had. O'Brien's 'article' even implies the scenario of the girl taking the photo in Melbourne is more likely. It is disgraceful.

"I'm in the middle of a long conversation with my audience. It'll be a lifelong journey for both of us by the time we're done." - Bruce Springsteen.
saint1974
Club Player

Just cancelled my subscription, absolutely a gutter trash paper this has become.
I too shook my head in amazement at the stories written today,not balanced what so ever.
Did any of these so called journalists go to the Nicks press conference.
I suppose truth does not sell papers.
No longer a reader of gutter trash journalism if you wrote a story present both sides.

dals_da_bomb
Club Player

Just going to throw it out there, that alot more people then just stkilda supporters read the HS.
Just because the majority of us have a certain view doesnt mean everyone else does.

The Tiger and the Lion may be more powerful, but the Wolf does not perform in the circus.
chook23
Saintsational Legend

dals_da_bomb wrote:Just going to throw it out there, that alot more people then just stkilda supporters read the HS.
Just because the majority of us have a certain view doesnt mean everyone else does.
you miss the point

balanced reporting with facts

saint4life
roosey_jones

where can i find the pics?

Ralphy
Saintsational Legend

roosey_jones wrote:where can i find the pics?
Her's or the players

dont come here and troll,

roosey_jones

either or - i hear she's a looker

dals_da_bomb
Club Player

balanced reporting? How an you possibly find anythng balanced in this mess.

and can i stop reading that they wont to rip us a new one.
The have confirmed as well as this girl that they refused to publish the photos we they were offered to them.
Even though the public seem to love it.

The Tiger and the Lion may be more powerful, but the Wolf does not perform in the circus.
chook23
Saintsational Legend

dals_da_bomb wrote:balanced reporting? How an you possibly find anythng balanced in this mess.

and can i stop reading that they wont to rip us a new one.
The have confirmed as well as this girl that they refused to publish the photos we they were offered to them.
Even though the public seem to love it.
again you miss the point

WANT balanced and truthful reporting

but todays media that appears irrelevent

saint4life
dals_da_bomb
Club Player

there is no thruth currently.

there is her truth, Roos truth, your truth, my truth.
The reporters truth, the readers truth.

the only fats are what appears in the photos. Given that there seems to be no agreed truth on Roos photo, lets have a stab at the truth of Dals.

I dont miss that point at all. As far as im concerned there is no point at all.

matrix
Saintsational Legend

dals_da_bomb wrote:there is no thruth currently.

there is her truth, Roos truth, your truth, my truth.
The reporters truth, the readers truth.

the only fats are what appears in the photos. Given that there seems to be no agreed truth on Roos photo, lets have a stab at the truth of Dals.

I dont miss that point at all. As far as im concerned there is no point at all.
:o

Ice Wolf
Club Player

chook23 wrote:
dals_da_bomb wrote:Just going to throw it out there, that alot more people then just stkilda supporters read the HS.
you miss the point

balanced reporting with facts
this is the herald sun we are talking about here, it would be a miracle if they just got any facts at all.

Squizzy1970

My "favourite" piece of "journalism":

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/a ... 5974677673

One day in February, a few Saints stars visited a Mornington Peninsula high school to give a pep talk to VCE students just back from the holidays.

Among the girls, there were the Saints fans, and then there were the admirers. After all, these were tall, muscled, confident, rich young men. How could they lose?

She says both she and the player agreed they'd had no contact that day at the school.

She says she actually met him weeks later.
Last edited by Squizzy1970 on Wed 22 Dec 2010 11:17am, edited 1 time in total.

Thinline
Saintsational Legend

Sorry to make this post number 4 billion on essentially the same thing, but bugger it.

Why is that the horribly confused little tramp who has set this whole thing ablaze is shrouded in some kind of mysterious Assange-like veil?

I mean we can all but guesstimate the length of Roo's shlong, but meanwhile the evil little slag who lets us do that may or may not be pregnant, may or may not be wealthy, may or may not be 17, may or may not get along with her parents, may have been a girlfriend of Gilbert and/or Beams and/or Armo, may or may not have had still birth, may or may not this, may or may not that...

Surely, in the interests of some modicum of balance, media outlets everywhere would be asking questions left, right and centre to try to profile this little grub?

And surely, SURELY, if this bird flings it around like we may or may not be led to believe, then info would abound?

"The inches we need are everywhere around us. They're in every break in the game. Every minute, every second. On this team we fight for that inch. On this team we tear ourselves and everyone around us to pieces for that inch. We claw with our fingernails for that inch. Because we know when we add up all those inches that's gonna make the f***in' difference between winning and losing! Between living and dying!'
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

I am actually surprised they didn't publish this stuff when they first had access to it.

Now they have in their possession proof of facebook discussions involving this girl and AFL players.

What will they do this time?

philtee
Club Player

DDB -
I'm no media lawyer, BUT -
The HSun's legal advisers would have warned the paper against printing the pics, on the arguments of privacy,
defamation, and the disputed, possibly criminal, nature of how they came to be in the girl's possession.
I would suggest that the HSun's claim that they "chose" not to print the pics is a crock - they knew the legal fallout
would be too high a price to pay. It's not because they love us.

chook23
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:I am actually surprised they didn't publish this stuff when they first had access to it.

Now they have in their possession proof of facebook discussions involving this girl and AFL players.

Proof based on what

I could text /twitter etc claiming I was someone else etc etc

The only Proof they claim was such an exchage....no proof just someone claiming..........

could be anyone

saint4life
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

chook23 wrote:
SainterK wrote:I am actually surprised they didn't publish this stuff when they first had access to it.

Proof based on what

I could text /twitter etc claiming I was someone else etc etc

The only Proof they claim was such an exchage....no proof just someone claiming..........

could be anyone
No, it's not texts or twitters....they say it's facebook convo's. Pretty easy to work out if it's in fact the players or not...

Moccha
Saintsational Legend

Crap paper that only hires wannabe journo's that ultimately aspire to work for New Idea

Another opportunity awaits!
bergholt
Saintsational Legend

surprised at the herald-sun? how long have you been reading it for? the paper's not getting any worse - it's always been a very poor example of journalism.

that said, let's not pretend for a minute that the footballers in this situation are blameless.

philtee
Club Player

And another thing...the girl is obviously being courted by a few media outlets at the moment. But the day this story loses its forward momentum,
the day the girl runs out of photos or accusations, and the press can't get a fresh angle, the media will turn on her. I just hope she's ready.

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

I responded late last night to the Susie O'Brien crap piece under my MSM nom de plume:

Oh for God's sakes - how totally predictable. The poor little girl up against the system. Take off your bra and have a real look at what's going on here. This little girl is about to come a cropper through no one's fault but her own and feminist apologists like you are going to look like idiots. Try being a journalist and not a "sister"!

suss
Club Player

It's a s*** wreck of a newspaper written for people with incredibly small minds. The fact that it's Australia's biggest selling daily rag is not only frightening but an indictment on society. If you're a fan of professional fact-driven journalism then stick to the ABC.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

That d**khead on the 7 pm project did the I know nothing about the story but you have to feel for the girl because Nick and Sam had their people with them in their interviews.

The papers are loving it because all of us secretly love a story when AFL players from rival clubs fall on their own sword.

Who can't help love seeing a guy on huge money getting to do what we would love to do coming unstuck because his brain is smaller than his penis.

When it's the pies I sit there enjoying seeing their pain. Add to that the internet being a quick source for up to date news and the media outlets have become about sensationalism instead of fact.

Bring on the show, the plebs out there will forget about it soon.