Culture on the slide

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

FullMonty
Club Player

Culture on the slide

Now I like many others on this site have praised Lyon for getting us to the top (well, close to it anyway.....) BUT

The off season carnage has definitely increased and has now begun to eat away at the clubs culture. :evil: :evil: :evil:

IMHO none of these incidents would have happened under Thomas.
He would not have picked up Lovett.
Would not have shafted Luke Ball.
Players taking nude pics of eachother, no way unless they had a death wish.

Don't get me wrong, I am not a Thomas pusher and thought he needed to go (at least out of the main coaching role) but fair dinkum he would have throttled anyone who put the club into disrepute.

Montyrules!
Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

Of course you're correct.

Stevie Lawrence
Capuano
Milne & Montagna

and of course G-Train

Not to mention his performance in the 12 months following his sacking.
He never casused any trouble for the Club.

And had he stayed he probably would have given Ball a pay rise, rather than offer him what he was worth to us.

'Shafted' was he?
Maybe in your opinion.
Last edited by Mr Magic on Thu 23 Dec 2010 1:03am, edited 1 time in total.

Scoop
Club Player

Re: Culture on the slide

[quote="FullMonty"][/quote]

The irony of the nic is, as Bruce would say.....delicious!!! :? :lol:

Extra! Extra! Read all about it......no I don't want to read about it anymore!!!
FullMonty
Club Player

Fair points you raise but hardly comparable from the player level to the Lovett and teen incidents.

Agree that it was ugly when Thomas was sacked but my point was made about his time within the club.

Montyrules!
Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

FullMonty wrote:Fair points you raise but hardly comparable from the player level to the Lovett and teen incidents.

Agree that it was ugly when Thomas was sacked but my point was made about his time within the club.
Are you serious?

Surely you're taking the pyss?

Do you really think that Milne/Montagna wasn't every bit as serious as either Lovett or teh schoolgirl nonsense.

Or that Steve Lawrence drunkenly driving a car into a light pole with a drunken Gehrig as his passenger wasn't as serious a breach?

Or G-Train peeing on a female in a bar?

Or sacking Capuano in the manner he did?

meher baba
Saintsational Legend

I reckon that most difficult issues confronting the club were handled well when GT was the coach (including Lawrence, M&M, Gehrig, etc) and have continued to be handled well since that time: sure, we perhaps shouldn't have recruited Lovett in the first place, but the club did everything right after the alleged rape took place. And I reckon the club is doing the right thing this time.

The only events where I'd take issue with our handling were sirengate and Baker's suspension for the incident with Farmer. I would blame both of these lame responses on Butterss being too concerned
with sucking up to Demetriou when I reckon there was a good chance that, if we'd taken the AFL to court, they'd have quickly backed down (the only way to deal with bullies is to stand up to them).

I really don't think the current incident says anything much about our club's off-field culture. The photos are just evidence of some hi jinks by players on an off-season trip. Yes, there is perhaps an emerging common theme across a number of incidents (M&M, the context and language used around the Lovett event, the initial involvement of players with the 17 yo, the condoms in the recent photo) of a pack of wolves on the prowl for women, but that's hardly an earth-shattering revelation about a bunch of male sports stars.

I still think it's all a storm in a teacup and will quickly pass. I reckon that, once they've made their point in court today (and demonstrated to the players that they care) the club should drop it's pursuit of the girl and let the story die it's natural death.

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."
- Jonathan Swift
Schillaci
Club Player

Well said meher baba.

Whilst the M&M, Lovett, 17 y.o saga...all show the pattern of male sports stars chasing women and that it isn't a new thing one would hope that our blokes have learned their lesson by now.
I don't see our culture as being on the slide but it appears we have more of a culture than other teams atm.

Saint_Ash
Club Player
Location: Either work, home or the footy, maybe a pub somewhere

Re: Culture on the slide

FullMonty wrote: Players taking nude pics of eachother, no way unless they had a death wish.
Have you ever played footy? Not just for a season, but really got into the club and made great mates who you can go away with and really have fun?

It is stupid to take the photo's and even more stupid not to delete them, but that is what happens. Its all about mucking around and having fun. Especially for AFL footballers these days, these guys have to be so squeaky clean out in the public surely they are allowed to be idiots with each other behind closed doors.

Most AFL footballers are 18 to 30 and this time in your life is the best time for mucking around and having fun, before you settle down and get married, have kids etc etc.

As I said, it was stupid to take the photos and stupid to not delete them, but everyone does stupid things and these guys must be allowed to live life.

St Lenny
Club Player

Mr Magic wrote:Of course you're correct.

Stevie Lawrence
Capuano
Milne & Montagna

and of course G-Train

Not to mention his performance in the 12 months following his sacking.
He never casused any trouble for the Club.
But apart from that, what ever happened :wink:

kosifantutti23
SS Hall of Fame

The aqueducts?

Furtius Quo Rdelious
Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

kosifantutti23 wrote:The aqueducts?
:lol:

Probably not appropriate to go into the whole "biggus dickus" routine at the present time :wink:

cowboy18
Saintsational Legend

Dr Spaceman wrote:

Probably not appropriate to go into the whole "biggus dickus" routine at the present time :wink:
You guys are being unfair to the OP. He just posted an opinion.

He didn't expect the Spanish Inquisition.

westy
Club Player

My memory only goes back as far as the sixties when Ian Stewart was allowed to play pissed and was in trouble with John Nicholls for passing dodgy cheques, but I can't remember too many years since then when some kind of controversy has emerged concerning the St Kilda Football Club. If we had some kind of achievement to our credit then maybe you could almost excuse the cheeky 'cavalier' attitude, but we Ken Don't for effs sake.

I'm livin' in a madhouse
Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

cowboy18 wrote:
Dr Spaceman wrote:

You guys are being unfair to the OP. He just posted an opinion.

He didn't expect the Spanish Inquisition.
He's got a wife you know :lol:

meher baba
Saintsational Legend

Schillaci wrote:I don't see our culture as being on the slide but it appears we have more of a culture than other teams atm.
I doubt it. I just reckon we've been a bit unlucky in being caught out a few times. And we recruited Lovett.................

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."
- Jonathan Swift
saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

Blues and cruise......

Pies Legend and drink driving.....

we are not alone but like all mud it's stuck worse than honey

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

saintbrat wrote:Blues and cruise......

Always looks worse when you don't have a flag to go with it. :(

westy
Club Player

Dr Spaceman wrote:

Always looks worse when you don't have a flag to go with it. :(
My point exactly. Exactly it is!

I'm livin' in a madhouse
Moods
Saintsational Legend

West Coast - let's not go there.

Dees a few years back - they were all getting into punch ons pre-season.

Adelaide - Nathan Bock plus their fair share of drink drivers.

Bombers under Sheedy - Lovett, plus numerous others getting p!ssed all the time.

Hawks - thank God for supression orders ay.

The list goes on and on. Lovett at our club has been by far the most serious - and you could hardly say that he was a saints player. The rest haven't been anything like other clubs. Sadly our rep has taken a beating , the perception is we are all a bit sexed up. WE're sthe news of the moment until the next big story comes along. Then ppl will look back I reckon and say - 'Oh yeah, that nude thing.....' Let's face it, it's only big news b/c it's Riewoldt.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

Seriously the Saints fans are getting more worked up about this than anyone else.

When the Tigers went troppo up in Sydney my Tiges supporting mates gave a s*** but I was only mildly amused.

Essendon had Hurley beating on a cabbie- I couldn't give a s***, Bomber fans were freaking out. Same goes for everything Lovett did there.

Hawks did there impression of resurrecting St kildas 1980s party club image which caused a mate to act like he was premenstrual for months. I count give a s***.

For all those who follow us, the only people that are really investing themselves emotionally over this are our own fans.

snowdelisaint
Club Player

gringo wrote: For all those who follow us, the only people that are really investing themselves emotionally over this are our own fans.
+1
good point
pick a high profile player from any other club and imagine it was them instead.
who cares.

BAM! (shhhh)
SS Hall of Fame

Thank you Saintsational.

I wondered if there were some way this could all be blamed on Grant Thomas. Going the other way round is just as good. Now the saga is complete, and we can move on from this "scandal" to a good, old fashioned GT v RL slanging match.

I never thought I'd think so... but what a relief....

"Everything comes to he who hustles while he waits"
- Henry Ford
markp
Saintsational Legend

If GT was still at the club there'd probably be a photo of him with his wang out in Miami too.

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

All is lost

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

markp wrote:If GT was still at the club there'd probably be a photo of him with his wang out in Miami too.
Ah now I see, it was the Key Penis Indicators he was constantly referring to :wink: