The new Nicky Dal?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

The new Nicky Dal?

I mentioned this a couple of weeks ago, but it's quite obvious when you compare pictures with last year, that Dal has trimmed down enormously. Makes you think that because he is losing some of the bulk, perhaps he is being moulded into more of a receiver type mid? I know I quite like the idea of a silky skilled Dal receiving the ball and pushing forward. 8-)

Ross wants the team to play more exciting footy, me thinks this could be one of the ways in which he will make it so?

Perhaps this in turn gives opportunity to Armo to come in and rotate with Lenny in more of the engine room type role?

Dal in 2010

Dal in 2011

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

He certainly looked small in a pic I saw of him from a few months ago!

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

certainly a good point. pics can be deceiving. but certainly helpful if they are making it easier for him to cover the ground and as u said using polo/steven/armo as more inside grunt.

Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

Dal has always been a receiver. Not as good as Jerry Rice though.

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

Dicky Nal i call him nowadays....gotta keep the name small.... :lol:

Saints looking like a bottom 4 team in 2024.
Spinner
Saintsational Legend

Gee he looks tiny in that pic...

But my concern was that I didnt think he had much to trim down.... Players dont usually trim muscle - they just shed fat.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

It would not surprise me to see Dal used forward more this season.

Still as a mid...but with a lot more time forward.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
Tom_Sainter
Club Player

bloody hell my GF has bigger arms than that...

st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

from the looks of it a few of the boys look slimmer this preseason ... most years the boys look like body builders at this time of year ..not so much this year

"The team that wins in the most positions and makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins the game." -- Allan Jeans

http://westernsaints.wordpress.com/
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

I wouldnt be deceived by the photo. Every year I hear on here that a player looks bigger or smaller but to me most of the time when the season starts they look the same. The only ones that have really any change are 2nd and 3rd year players IMO.

oh when
Club Player

LESS BULK

Went to the AGM thought all the players looked far less bulky than last year, don't know if a good or bad thing.

InkerSaint
SS Hall of Fame

My first thought when I saw Dal in this year's photos was stress-induced weight loss.

"... You want to pose a threat to the opposition in as many ways as you can, both defensively and offensively. We've got a responsibility to explore all those possibilities - and we will."
st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:I wouldnt be deceived by the photo. Every year I hear on here that a player looks bigger or smaller but to me most of the time when the season starts they look the same. The only ones that have really any change are 2nd and 3rd year players IMO.
plugg surely with all you knowllege on every thing and your use of both eyes would recognise that players in the preseason build bulk on their frame in the early months of preseason and then taper off as they focus more on running in the later months to end up at their optimal playing weight by round one .... this year the photos have not shown much of the bulk building .. maybe an effort to concentrate more on the running style of training ?

"The team that wins in the most positions and makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins the game." -- Allan Jeans

http://westernsaints.wordpress.com/
markp
Saintsational Legend

You cant lose fat without losing at least some muscle... but he's definitely shed a bit of weight.

And I doubt it would be an accident, cos it's not easy!

Reasonable to suggest it may be with a slightly new strategy in mind... Dal streaming in and slotting a goal from just on the 50 is one of my favourite sights at the footy, seeing that or similar more often would be great.

He still has unfulfilled potential to draw on, IMO, and could still be the best in the game.

spert
Saintsational Legend

NDS is a receiver and playmaker, not an under the pack hard nut, and it's no good bulking up if you're an outside runner, you need to be nimble and quick, so the more bulk he sheds the better IMHO

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

st_Trav_ofWA wrote:
plugger66 wrote:I wouldnt be deceived by the photo. Every year I hear on here that a player looks bigger or smaller but to me most of the time when the season starts they look the same. The only ones that have really any change are 2nd and 3rd year players IMO.
plugg surely with all you knowllege on every thing and your use of both eyes would recognise that players in the preseason build bulk on their frame in the early months of preseason and then taper off as they focus more on running in the later months to end up at their optimal playing weight by round one .... this year the photos have not shown much of the bulk building .. maybe an effort to concentrate more on the running style of training ?
I know what the photos show but i have seen nearly all the players live and they all pretty much look the same to me. Wait till the games start and people will say hasnt so and so bulked up and hasnt so and so lost weight. By the start of the season nearly everyone will be the same weight as last year apart from the really young guys. I read here people saying Stanley had bulked up but I know for a fact he is exactly the same weight as last year and wants to remain that way.

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

markp wrote:You cant lose fat without losing at least some muscle... but he's definitely shed a bit of weight.

Reasonable to suggest it may be with a slightly new strategy in mind... Dal streaming in and slotting a goal from just on the 50 is one of my favourite sights at the footy, seeing that or similar more often would be great.

He still has unfulfilled potential to draw on, IMO, and could still be the best in the game.
Why can't you lose fat without losing muscle? Are they dependant on eachother?

Surely ur not one of the believers who proclaim that people can turn fat into muscle...???

markp
Saintsational Legend

Spinner wrote:
markp wrote:You cant lose fat without losing at least some muscle... but he's definitely shed a bit of weight.

Why can't you lose fat without losing muscle? Are they dependant on eachother?

Surely ur not one of the believers who proclaim that people can turn fat into muscle...???
In my experience you just cant... even though plenty of people may tell you that you can.

Best you can do is restrict it by doing weights and eating enough protein... and if you're doing a lot of cardio that makes it all the more difficult, too.

It's why body builders dont do any/much cardio, and have really regimented routines when (if) they try to lose fat and get cut without losing too much of their precious muscle.

But hey, these footy players do have full-time nutritionists and trainers monitoring them every day.

BAM! (shhhh)
SS Hall of Fame

Now he just has to actually play the way reputation says he does, rather than the way he actually does.

NDS has always won his fair share of his own ball, yet continues to be labelled an outside runner. If he were to actually run enough to get the same amount of ball as an outside runner, given his disposal skills, he might yet get the brownlow attention predicted early in his career.

That said, becoming a 25-30 disposal outside guy is a LOT of running...

"Everything comes to he who hustles while he waits"
- Henry Ford
saintlee
Club Player

NDS looks sickly to me....hope its just a loss of body fat, but I wonder if he's been ill...

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

It's not just the official club photo though, he looks skinnier in all of the recent shots...

I'll stick to the theory that Armo will be stepping up to handle more inside work, and Dal will be running and creating more.

Oh, I reckon he could just win his brownlow this year, if he does become more flashy.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:
It's not just the official club photo though, he looks skinnier in all of the recent shots...

I'll stick to the theory that Armo will be stepping up to handle more inside work, and Dal will be running and creating more.

Oh, I reckon he could just win his brownlow this year, if he does become more flashy.
Couldnt give a stuff about the Brownlow but I hope he get a premiership medallion.

Maxstar22
Club Player

Being up close and personal to him at the AGM last week, he certainly does look different.

He has lost weight, but doesn't look to have lost muscle.

He has also changed his hair colour and style, which makes a noticeable difference.

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

Seriously how much more running and creating does dal need to do??

PJ
SS Life Member

I read here people saying Stanley had bulked up but I know for a fact he is exactly the same weight as last year and wants to remain that way.
Glad about that - all the talk about Stanley bulking up gives me the Shytes. He has way more potential as a mobile athletic tall that can use bursts of speed. Why would you want to turn him into a Gorilla?

I've never seen a bad St.Kilda player - that's just how they are.