Locking threads

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

SENsei
Saintsational Legend

Locking threads

Sorry Armooo, but nothing gets my goat up more than locking of threads. It didn't breach any rule of the site so why can it not be discussed, or let to die it's own death?

The role of a Mod is not to censor the conversation unless it breaks rules.

Just because you think a conversation has run it's course, doesn't mean it actually has.

Really very irritating.

Armoooo
Saintsational Legend

Re: Locking threads

SENsaintsational wrote:Sorry Armooo, but nothing gets my goat up more than locking of threads. It didn't breach any rule of the site so why can it not be discussed, or let to die it's own death?

Just because you think a conversation has run it's course, doesn't mean it actually has.

Really very irritating.
Sorry that you're not happy about it but sometimes you have to make a judgement call.

For every one person who thinks like you that it should be allowed to die it's own death there is another that was asking for it to be locked days earlier.

I feel that we gave it enough time for people to say what they wanted to say.

Whilst this one may have not broken any specific rules (where other threads have been locked because of consistent rule breaking) it still just isn't a good look for the website or the club IMO.

ROBERT HARVEY A.K.A The Great Man, Banger, Harves, Ol' Man River...
384 games, 4 B&F's, 3 EJ Whitten Medals, St.Kilda Captain, 2 Time Brownlow Medalist, 8 Time All Australian, 2nd Highest Brownlow votes poller.... The greatest of ALL TIME!!
IluvHarvey
SS Life Member

i agree if it's not appropriate for this board then move it. Don't just lock it!

"It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress."
Armoooo
Saintsational Legend

Problem is if you delete a thread quite often two new threads pop up in it's place, one questioning where it has gone and another starting the conversation from the beginning.

384 games, 4 B&F's, 3 EJ Whitten Medals, St.Kilda Captain, 2 Time Brownlow Medalist, 8 Time All Australian, 2nd Highest Brownlow votes poller.... The greatest of ALL TIME!!
SENsei
Saintsational Legend

Look this isn't a personal attack and I have been a Moderator before, so I know the rock and the hard place argument.

But there are so many other threads going on now where people are being abusive to each other, that break the rules, and are left to go on.

There have been many many threads about the whole KD debacle and I can't recall all of them being locked.

I just can't cop a Mod being the decider of what is appropriate conversation and what is not. That's a dangerous precedent to set. If it's St Kilda related and within the rules, it should be allowed. If it's outside the rules, fling it.

Armoooo
Saintsational Legend

I understand where you are coming from mate and you make a good argument but I disagree.

I do believe that the mods should have some discretion and I don't think anybody would argue that Saintsational is an over moderated forum, I just felt that more people felt that thread was inappropriate and given the past couple of month that the club has had I didn't think it was worth giving rumours and innuendo any more airtime.

At the end of the day I made the decision that I thought would please the most people, it may have been mistaken, if so, I apologise.

GrumpyOne
Saintsational Legend
Location: Kicked out of the Coffee Shop, Settlement Pub, Cranbourne

In complete agreeance SEN.

Threads like these die a natural death in time, no need to speed up their demise.

Some of the best and funniest posts come out on threads like those.

Australia...... Live it like we stole it....... Because we did.
matrix
Saintsational Legend

SENsaintsational wrote:Look this isn't a personal attack and I have been a Moderator before, so I know the rock and the hard place argument.

But there are so many other threads going on now where people are being abusive to each other, that break the rules, and are left to go on.

There have been many many threads about the whole KD debacle and I can't recall all of them being locked.

I just can't cop a Mod being the decider of what is appropriate conversation and what is not. That's a dangerous precedent to set. If it's St Kilda related and within the rules, it should be allowed. If it's outside the rules, fling it.
+1

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

What did Gadaffi say ? "follow me or Die" ....sorry I digressed....close a thread and it will open elsewhere, freedom of speech is a powerful thing, if people don't want to comment in a thread they find unsavory they should avoid it, the ones that want to contribute will and it will run it's course.
This forum is for Saint supporters to discuss issues unpalatable or not.

desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

My copper frilled neck lizard - I agree with almost every post above.

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

This is what puts Saintsational above all other Saints sites, we can agree to disagree.

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
satchmo
Saintsational Legend

no we can't.

*Allegedly.

Bring back Lucky Burgers, and nobody gets hurt.

You can't un-fry things.

Last Post
The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

yes we can.....ten times :P

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Armoooo wrote:
SENsaintsational wrote:Sorry Armooo, but nothing gets my goat up more than locking of threads. It didn't breach any rule of the site so why can it not be discussed, or let to die it's own death?

Really very irritating.
Sorry that you're not happy about it but sometimes you have to make a judgement call.

For every one person who thinks like you that it should be allowed to die it's own death there is another that was asking for it to be locked days earlier.

Whilst this one may have not broken any specific rules (where other threads have been locked because of consistent rule breaking) it still just isn't a good look for the website or the club IMO.
Total agreeance Armoo.

Trash threads on malicious rumours like that serve no good purpose - free speech or otherwise.

I woke this morning and didnt feel my rights had been stripped from me due to a locked thread on SS.

Keep up the good work.

“Yeah….nah””
matrix
Saintsational Legend

The Fireman wrote:yes we can.....ten times :P
funny im sure i typed 10 :?
Last edited by matrix on Tue 01 Mar 2011 7:53pm, edited 1 time in total.

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote:
Armoooo wrote:

Really very irritating.

Total agreeance Armoo.

Trash threads on malicious rumours like that serve no good purpose - free speech or otherwise.

I woke this morning and didnt feel my rights had been stripped from me due to a locked thread on SS.

Keep up the good work.
so could you please enlighten us as to what you deem to be the norm as to what serves our purpose.
It's good that you didn't feel that your rights had been stripped but your ambivalence isn't shared by the majority.
Last edited by The Fireman on Tue 01 Mar 2011 7:57pm, edited 1 time in total.

satchmo
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote: Keep up the good work.
Yeah, censorship rocks...

Don't mention the war Grace.

*Allegedly.

You can't un-fry things.

Last Post
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

satchmo wrote:

Good to have you on board...

Censorship sure beats senselesshit posts.

“Yeah….nah””
The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote:

hmmm Senselesshitcensorship.
How about some Tefloncensorship...where do you draw the line.?

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

The Fireman wrote:
Teflon wrote:
Armoooo wrote:

Really very irritating.

Total agreeance Armoo.

Keep up the good work.
so could you please enlighten us as to what you deem to be the norm as to what serves our purpose.
It's good that you didn't feel that your rights had been stripped but your ambivalence isn't shared by the majority.
Hey - I expressed a view, its my view......are you suggesting I need to defend that to your "left wing yuppie" ideals? Whose "censoring" who?

Lets start a topic - "Political Correctness and Moral Do Gooders......are they just another form of censorship?"

I thought you "rights crusaders" could roll with the punches...........clearly not... :lol:

“Yeah….nah””
satchmo
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote:
satchmo wrote:

Wow :shock:

You should start a facebook page.

*Allegedly.

You can't un-fry things.

Last Post
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

The Fireman wrote:
Teflon wrote:

hmmm Senselesshitcensorship.
How about some Tefloncensorship...where do you draw the line.?
Definately at Junior Derryns...never had much time for them.

“Yeah….nah””
satchmo
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote:
The Fireman wrote:
Teflon wrote:
Armoooo wrote:

Really very irritating.

Total agreeance Armoo.

Keep up the good work.
Hey - I expressed a view, its my view......are you suggesting I need to defend that to your "left wing yuppie" ideals? Whose "censoring" who?

Lets start a topic - "Political Correctness and Moral Do Gooders......are they just another form of censorship?"

I thought you "rights crusaders" could roll with the punches...........clearly not... :lol:
:D Opened the other bottle teffy?

*Allegedly.

You can't un-fry things.

Last Post
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

satchmo wrote:
Teflon wrote:
satchmo wrote:

Wow :shock:

You should start a facebook page.
Can't. Everytime Ive posted my view in this thread so far Ive had to defend that to people campaigning for........wait for it............free speech? :shock:

Im confused.

“Yeah….nah””
The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote: Hey - I expressed a view, its my view......are you suggesting I need to defend that to your "left wing yuppie" ideals? Whose "censoring" who?

You can express any view you like as far as I'm concerned but it seems you don't share the same doctrine.
As far as rolling with the punches ?? what exactly was thrown at me???