McQualter OUT

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

groupie1
Club Player

McQualter OUT

How about the idea of using Armitage as the 'McQualter forward'? He did good up forward, he has good defensive and offensive sides to his game, but too slow for a permanent mid. And bring young Ledger and Cripps/Steven in to give us a bit of bite.

Time for mediocrity is over. McQualter/Peake OUT!

What do people think?

Gordon Fode couldda been Plugga
Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

I think that if Benny is your hero, I don't care what you think.

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

McQualter and Peake should, ought and must be omitted.

For two guys that you'd think would be trying til they go blue in the face to maintain their spots in the side, they DO NOT cut the mustard.

Curb your enthusiasm - you’re a St.Kilda supporter!!
Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

Sainternist wrote:McQualter and Peake should, ought and must be omitted.

For two guys that you'd think would be trying til they go blue in the face to maintain their spots in the side, they DO NOT cut the mustard.
If Mini and Peake are better than ALL the young similar sized players we have running around for Sandy we are in for a world of pain :(

AnythingsPossibleSaints
SS Life Member

Ledger apparently has a "6 weeks hammy", so we can rule him out and since Jack Steven just played his first game of the year today, I think we can safely predict that he won't be playing seniors for at least 3-4 weeks.
It's unfortunate, as both may well have been in the side last night had they been fully fit.

YOU GET WHAT YOU SETTLE FOR.
groupie1
Club Player

AnythingsPossibleSaints wrote:Ledger apparently has a "6 weeks hammy", so we can rule him out and since Jack Steven just played his first game of the year today, I think we can safely predict that he won't be playing seniors for at least 3-4 weeks.
It's unfortunate, as both may well have been in the side last night had they been fully fit.
Ok, fair points. But, like the guy above you said, if Peake and Mcqual cannot be replaced we really have recruited poorly.

ralphsmith
SS Hall of Fame

groupie1 wrote:
AnythingsPossibleSaints wrote:Ledger apparently has a "6 weeks hammy", so we can rule him out and since Jack Steven just played his first game of the year today, I think we can safely predict that he won't be playing seniors for at least 3-4 weeks.
Ok, fair points. But, like the guy above you said, if Peake and Mcqual cannot be replaced we really have recruited poorly.
Which is looking like the case.

Which is very unfortunate for our long long long awaited premiership hopes.

What is dead may never die, but rises again harder and stronger.
Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

ralphsmith wrote:
groupie1 wrote:

Likely replacements are there but have been hindered by injury, or are just into their development, or both.

The exception is Al Smith who is up and running.

Even if he's not a direct replacement for those blokes he can be brought in and the side rejigged.

AnythingsPossibleSaints
SS Life Member

groupie1 wrote:
I'm not arguing with that, I was extremely disappointed when I saw our team on Thursday night. I'd be playing SMith ahead of Peake and I think I'd have Steven, Schneider and maybe even Ledger instead of Mini, if they were available and fit.

AnythingsPossibleSaints
SS Life Member

Dr Spaceman wrote:
ralphsmith wrote:
groupie1 wrote:

Likely replacements are there but have been hindered by injury, or are just into their development, or both.

The exception is Al Smith who is up and running.

Even if he's not a direct replacement for those blokes he can be brought in and the side rejigged.
Agree, but that would require flexibility and I'm not sure Ross is too familiar with that concept.

Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

AnythingsPossibleSaints wrote:
groupie1 wrote:
I'm not arguing with that, I was extremely disappointed when I saw our team on Thursday night. I'd be playing SMith ahead of Peake and I think I'd have Steven, Schneider and maybe even Ledger instead of Mini, if they were available and fit.
They weren't!

AnythingsPossibleSaints
SS Life Member

Smith was. That's a start.

Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

AnythingsPossibleSaints wrote:Smith was. That's a start.
He was short of a run, but will get his chance before too long.

AnythingsPossibleSaints
SS Life Member

Short of a run? Didn't he play every one of our pre-season games?
And Peake only took part in about a quarter of the game. I'm pretty confident Smith could have gotten through a quarter.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

I would have rather played an underdone Steven than put up with mini's ongoing pathetic performance

Any of
Cripps
Smith
Steven

Would be better

Heck even putting Tommy Walsh or Stanley in the team as extra KPP and not having ne1 do Mini's role (which we know will be ineffectove anyway) would have been better

Quixote
SS Life Member

Ledgers 6 week hammy was done 3 weeks ago at least by my calculations.

Fortius Quo Fidelius Yo
Wrote for Luck
Club Player

Lyon said today on radio that Stanley didn't do enough last game to impress to get a spot last night. He had the door but didn't earn it.
He also said Gilbo didn't want to play forward. Glad to hear it.
Agree Mini wasn't good last night. At this stage could see Armo or Steven in the role. But I like Armo in the middle.
Plenty of time gents!

Pills 'n' Thrills and Heartaches
vacuous space
SS Life Member

Re: McQualter OUT

groupie1 wrote:How about the idea of using Armitage as the 'McQualter forward'?
How about just killing the idea of a 'McQualter forward'? I worry that given too long in that role, Armo would just turn into Andrew McQualter or Robert Eddy. Same with the kids. I'd much rather see them get some time in the midfield and have a chance to succeed.

I'd like to see McQualter go back to Sandy and play in the middle. Whatever effectiveness he had as a forward is now long gone. He did well when teams were struggling with our press. Now teams our turning over the ball much higher on the ground.

I'm not sure who I'd play. Somebody that the coaching staff has enough faith in to play in the midfield. I'd like to see Joey, BJ and Dal spend some time up there and kick some goals.

Yeah nah pleasing positive
groupie1
Club Player

Re: McQualter OUT

vacuous space wrote:
groupie1 wrote:How about the idea of using Armitage as the 'McQualter forward'?
How about just killing the idea of a 'McQualter forward'? I worry that given too long in that role, Armo would just turn into Andrew McQualter or Robert Eddy. Same with the kids. I'd much rather see them get some time in the midfield and have a chance to succeed.

I'd like to see McQualter go back to Sandy and play in the middle. Whatever effectiveness he had as a forward is now long gone. He did well when teams were struggling with our press. Now teams our turning over the ball much higher on the ground.

I'm not sure who I'd play. Somebody that the coaching staff has enough faith in to play in the midfield. I'd like to see Joey, BJ and Dal spend some time up there and kick some goals.
You make some good points there, man, 'killing the idea of the McQ forward.' Problem is the need to change the RL paradigm is more difficult than working within it and changing personnel. I reckon he's gonna want one.

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

Well another sleep and I wake up still wanting Mini out.

But it seems as though he has a calf injury, so regardless of any perceived "Ross love" he is likely to miss next Friday.

Let's hope whoever comes in nails it and greatly reduces the need for "Mini Out" threads in the future.

samoht
Saintsational Legend
Location: https://www.amazon.com.au/Fugitive-Sold ... B00EO1GCNK

Burgoyne would have been a handy bottom 6 player.
Exactly the type we needed - with speed to burn.

Imagine him in our team instead of Mini - who I admire as a
gutsy trier.

Couldn't we have squeezed Burgoyne in after we gave Ball his marching orders - (or when Ball capitulated to the Pies) ?

InkerSaint
SS Hall of Fame

Shaun Burgoyne cost Hawthorn Mark Williams and pick 9.

We were minus a tall forward on Friday, so for McQualter and Peake out the ins would be Smith/Winmar and Stanley/Archer for mine.

Talk of poor drafting is tosh, Blind Freddy can see the problem is an overly conservative selection process.

"... You want to pose a threat to the opposition in as many ways as you can, both defensively and offensively. We've got a responsibility to explore all those possibilities - and we will."
matrix
Saintsational Legend

mini will go

prob out with that calf

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

Sainternist wrote:McQualter and Peake should, ought and must be omitted.
peake was on the ground for just over a quarter and had 11 possessions. i think he did as much as he could given his role.

PJ
SS Life Member

peake was on the ground for just over a quarter and had 11 possessions. i think he did as much as he could given his role.
Agreed Peake was far from worst, actually pretty good.

I've never seen a bad St.Kilda player - that's just how they are.