I want the truth about Jamie Cripps

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

dcstkfc
Saintsational Legend

I want the truth about Jamie Cripps

How serious is his illness. Has been a recurring issue over the pre-season and has now prevented him from playing Rounds 1 and 2. Is this going to be an ongoing issue related to his diabetes?

STRENGTH THROUGH LOYALTY.

‎''I still get really excited, and I've got the '66 thing up on the wall in a frame … You look at it and think: one day, we want to achieve that.''- Arryn Siposs
Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

I think you will find that it is none of your god damn business

Personal health problems are just that .... personal!!!

Unless he decides otherwise

The Devil makes work for idle hands!!!
dcstkfc
Saintsational Legend

Devilhead wrote:I think you will find that it is none of your god damn business

Personal health problems are just that .... personal!!!

Unless he decides otherwise
So I had no right to ask about Rooey's hammy either :roll:

‎''I still get really excited, and I've got the '66 thing up on the wall in a frame … You look at it and think: one day, we want to achieve that.''- Arryn Siposs
borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

I dont know how it could be. I am a type 2 diabetic. Diagnosed 6 years ago. Apart from sore feet at times and itchy nerve endings and general lethargy, it doesnt affect me much as long as I keep it under control. As a young fit bloke I dont see how it would affect him enough that he could;nt play a game of football. Then again what do I know. Being young and fit he should not have it.

dcstkfc
Saintsational Legend

borderbarry wrote:I dont know how it could be. I am a type 2 diabetic. Diagnosed 6 years ago. Apart from sore feet at times and itchy nerve endings and general lethargy, it doesnt affect me much as long as I keep it under control. As a young fit bloke I dont see how it would affect him enough that he could;nt play a game of football. Then again what do I know. Being young and fit he should not have it.
Thanks for the insight. I wish him only well of course, but as a supporter I am understandably concerned about this being a long-term problem.

fingers
Saintsational Legend

Oh dear lord.

dcstkfc
Saintsational Legend

fingers wrote:Oh dear lord.
Aaron Lord?

kp83
Club Player

borderbarry wrote:I dont know how it could be. I am a type 2 diabetic. Diagnosed 6 years ago. Apart from sore feet at times and itchy nerve endings and general lethargy, it doesnt affect me much as long as I keep it under control. As a young fit bloke I dont see how it would affect him enough that he could;nt play a game of football. Then again what do I know. Being young and fit he should not have it.
Not trying to be rude, but I dare say he's in quite a different position to you. If you are feeling lethargic you can probably take it easy and not feel too bad. He's being asked to perform very high intensity exercise while not feeling 100% - very different. Also I'm pretty sure he's a type 1 diabetic, which is very different to type 2 and explains why he has it despite being "young and fit."

Having said that I used to be involved with a club who had a type 1 diabetic player on the list. He was able to self manage his condition by regularly testing his blood sugar levels and then drinking from either a special brew he made up which was rich in glucose or from an ordinary water bottle. We never had any serious issues with him. I'm sure the medical staff and Jaime are working towards figuring out exactly how to manage his condition under the extreme physical demands that he has probably never been under before.

Just give it time people, from all reports he will be a gun!!

GO SAINTS!!!!
Last edited by kp83 on Thu 31 Mar 2011 6:36pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

After finally seeing Kimi I demand to see the results of Gilbo's optometry tests :shock:

Maxstar22
Club Player

Fortunately for me, I do not have diabetes, but some of my friends and family do.

One of my friends was diagnosed at the age of 19. It took her probably a good 12 months to be able to "manage" it. Learning to live with it, how to medicate, how to test yourself, what you can and can't eat etc etc. She had a couple of setbacks along the way (one not very pleasant at all).

While it is a personal issue and we all wish him the very best, perhaps he is just in this "learning how to manage" the illness faze.

St Lenny
Club Player

How do we know its a proble and not under control?

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

I was similarly diagnosed about 7 years ago as a middle aged person.
It took time to get my head around the 'changes' I needed to do to get my blood sugar levels under control.

I can only imagine what it would be like for an 18/19 year old, psychologically, to find out he has a condition that will effect him for the rest of his life.

He will need to be tested under various medications to see what is the best way to keep his diabetes controlled.
Couple that with any 'performance enhancing' issues that may arise from medications he should be taking.

All in all I can well understand if he is having 'difficulties' getting his head around it all.
It's hard enough just living with it, let alone trying to be an elite athlete as well.

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

Am I missing something here. Is Jamie Cripps something special.

Why are there a lot of supporters that think he is a walk-up start in our best 22. Has he played a senior game of footy yet? Was he keenly sought after in the draft?

Why is everyone so sure he was going to get into the senior team in the first few rounds let alone this season?

Moccha
Saintsational Legend

You can't handle the truth!

Another opportunity awaits!
villasaint
Club Player

did he play last week?
If so only one game
He will play when Ross says he is ready! They boy can run so that why we need him
Last year Medhurst, Lockeyr and O'bree were moved on to make way for Blair, Sidebottom and Beams.
We will blood players when they are ready doesnt have to be round 1 or 2. Archer is in to provide structure. Thats evidence that there is a change in mentality from the match committee.

desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

Dr Spaceman wrote:After finally seeing Kimi I demand to see the results of Gilbo's optometry tests :shock:
she got ugly and fat very quickly?

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Cairnsman wrote:Am I missing something here. Is Jamie Cripps something special.

Why are there a lot of supporters that think he is a walk-up start in our best 22. Has he played a senior game of footy yet? Was he keenly sought after in the draft?

Why is everyone so sure he was going to get into the senior team in the first few rounds let alone this season?
1. Because we are very weak in his position/player type.
2. He has played senior football (WAFL) already.
3. The coaching staff have been reported in the media naming him as been impressive and close to selection on several occasions.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Please tell me it is April one.

linmarnic
Club Player

It is April 1

Never give up
bergsone
SS Life Member

Diagnosed at 36 years old with type 1,so it's a shock to the system and it's no easy thing to manage,having got that off my chest,I can understand the demands he is under.His biggest contrast would probably be stepping up to the rigours of a.f.l. from the standard he was playing before.Being young and fit has nothing to do with it, but having it at a earlier stage in life is easier managed ,as he is growing up with it.Dale Weightman was an excellent footballer during his career with it and seem to manage it.if Cripps is good enough He will make it.I for one was hoping He was in this week,if the guy is not feeling right,so be it he has to live with the that the same as the rest of us.Fortunatley he has the backing of Dieticians, Doctors etc at hand.

PS I've backed him to be the rising star so i am confident

kosifantutti23
SS Hall of Fame

What's all the fuss about?

He's playing in the VFL this week.

Did anyone really expect a guy to debut who didn't play last week?

Furtius Quo Rdelious
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

kosifantutti23 wrote:What's all the fuss about?

He played for Sandy.

vacuous space
SS Life Member

Con Gorozidis wrote:1. Because we are very weak in his position/player type.
What position is that? Fast guy? He's a self-described defender on a team that just named about nine of the things. Yeah, he can play midfield, but so can Alistair Smith, who has been around longer, is much more physically mature and is still waiting for his first game. We could throw him forward, watch him get 8 touches, a few tackles and maybe a goal and talk about what a massive improvement he is on Mini or BobEd.

I was hoping Cripps would get a game too, but this thread is ridiculous. As if there's some sort of conspiracy to cover up his illness and keep him out of the team. He's a good player, but isn't clearly better than anyone we've named. He's still very slight. We may be better off in the long term if we hold him back until he can physically mix with the AFL bodies. Obligatory mention of Luke Ball's grinding adductor muscles here.

Yeah nah pleasing positive
kosifantutti23
SS Hall of Fame

plugger66 wrote:
kosifantutti23 wrote:What's all the fuss about?

He played for Sandy.
I was just going on what was written in the OP.

Furtius Quo Rdelious
Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

Dr Spaceman wrote:After finally seeing Kimi I demand to see the results of Gilbo's optometry tests :shock:
You must not have seen KID in the flesh.

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell