Lets not get too worried

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Lets not get too worried

Over the whole pre-season it has been stated time and time again that we are right, there was no time for concern....infact any time someone bought up an ounce of critisism, no matter how real....it was shot down by 'good, loyal supporters' who in reality people who cant see the forest for the trees.....Maybe its a little clearer now, and will get a whole lot clearer after essendon play us next week....

Something has not been right at stk in 2011.....our coach has not innovated and will pay the price....surely he had to bite the bullet and find improvement.......basically i think ross just hoped this group had enough left for one last hurrah.....collingwood has even moved fwd, and they did not really have to

I think the group resembles the 2007 team, and needs rejuvinating........but i have been shot down for being too negative......

Over the last 5 years oir drafting has been hideous...09, 06 in particular
This year and in last years gf our selection has been too conservative and lacked any daring...an cost us....
And the game plan has been outdated...just as we outdated hawthorns in 08

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

It's just not right to say the team hasn't innovated their style.

You may be right with your calls to inject youth, but nothing about pumping the ball forward so much is the same as last year.

Middo
Club Player

Re: Lets not get too worried

BigMart wrote:Over the whole pre-season it has been stated time and time again that we are right, there was no time for concern....infact any time someone bought up an ounce of critisism, no matter how real....it was shot down by 'good, loyal supporters' who in reality people who cant see the forest for the trees.....Maybe its a little clearer now, and will get a whole lot clearer after essendon play us next week....

Something has not been right at stk in 2011.....our coach has not innovated and will pay the price....surely he had to bite the bullet and find improvement.......basically i think ross just hoped this group had enough left for one last hurrah.....collingwood has even moved fwd, and they did not really have to

I think the group resembles the 2007 team, and needs rejuvinating........but i have been shot down for being too negative......

Over the last 5 years oir drafting has been hideous...09, 06 in particular
This year and in last years gf our selection has been too conservative and lacked any daring...an cost us....
And the game plan has been outdated...just as we outdated hawthorns in 08
True except Geelong stuffed it all up in 09 !!

Jack Newnes happy to be a Saint !!!! PS and to hit a target !!!
lefty
Club Player

Perspective: Its round 2.
Games: Lost by 1 point, and a draw.

Injuries: Lenny

Coach:
Will play some youth, Schneider Kozi will come in.
Ledger, Cripps, Crocker will be pushing for selection.

I think Dempster, Baker are on thin ice atm. Peake as well.
Clint Jones will need to play reserves to get form, put in Al Smith.

Main Issues:
1. Goal Kicking Accuracy
2. Still kicking to 2 vs Roo with no one at his feet

Last point:
Essendon always beat us, will probably take a miracle to win next week.

bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

Richmond were way too quick and skillful in the 2nd quarter...luckily they couldn't sustain it....we may get mauled by the Hird's next week....

Saints looking like a bottom 4 team in 2024.
QuestionOfAccuracy
Club Player

lefty wrote:Perspective: Its round 2.

Coach:

Main Issues:
1. Goal Kicking Accuracy

Last point:
Well said. The sky isn't falling yet. But I don't like our chances next week.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Whe exactly does the sky start falling on this group.......i was assured after what i would describe as a useless pre-season.....where little has been achieved......that we would click back into it and get back to what is expected.....

WRONG!

hungry for a premiership
Club Player

DON'T PANIC!!!

Wasn't the brand of the footy we played tonight much better?? Wasn't it more akin to what everyone has been calling for? Yes, it was, so it appears evident that the game style HAS changed.

Now, it's going to take a bit of TIME for the boys to adjust to the new game plan and get the balance right. We were clearly looking more dangerous is attack last night, but, our defence wasn't its usual self. We conceded 7 GOALS in the 2nd quarter! Most un-stkilda like.

I'm reckoning it will take 5-10 weeks to get the groove going with the new style, and the boys will really kick into gear come the 2nd half of the season, and hopefully, peak come finals time. Anything is possible.

"Too big, too strong, too whatever."
suss
Club Player

QuestionOfAccuracy wrote:
lefty wrote:Perspective: Its round 2.

Coach:

Main Issues:
1. Goal Kicking Accuracy

Last point:
Well said. The sky isn't falling yet. But I don't like our chances next week.
Agree - a brilliant summation of where we're at. Some really exciting players set to debut. Some older blokes to make way. A really good core group who still have 3-4 years left at the top level.

I really think Stanley, Winmar, Steven and maybe Lynch could have a role to play too. This looks like a transition year to me. The game plan has changed a little too but I'm not so sure people have picked up on it.

dcstkfc
Saintsational Legend

We lost to Geelong who were without Chapman, Ling, Selwood and Pods, drew with Richmond who were without Jack Riewoldt and we've probably lost Lenny for the year.

Sorry guys, I'm panicking!

STRENGTH THROUGH LOYALTY.

‎''I still get really excited, and I've got the '66 thing up on the wall in a frame … You look at it and think: one day, we want to achieve that.''- Arryn Siposs
degruch
Saintsational Legend

dcstkfc wrote:We lost to Geelong who were without Chapman, Ling, Selwood and Pods, drew with Richmond who were without Jack Riewoldt and we've probably lost Lenny for the year.

Selwood was in the Geelong team...Ling is gone, we own him and Pods (who has never performed against us), Chappy was their big out. We didn't have a number of players too, but don't believe the press, Geelong is a finals contender. Richmond did well tonight, and seized on our mistake...IMO they fell over the line and only got away with a draw thanks to some lousy kicking. You spook too easily.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Selwood playec ten minutes......jack the same....

So it was difficult for them to exert their usual stamp on the game....just an obsevation

dcstkfc
Saintsational Legend

degruch wrote:
dcstkfc wrote:We lost to Geelong who were without Chapman, Ling, Selwood and Pods, drew with Richmond who were without Jack Riewoldt and we've probably lost Lenny for the year.

Selwood was in the Geelong team...Ling is gone, we own him and Pods (who has never performed against us), Chappy was their big out. We didn't have a number of players too, but don't believe the press, Geelong is a finals contender. Richmond did well tonight, and seized on our mistake...IMO they fell over the line and only got away with a draw thanks to some lousy kicking. You spook too easily.
I'll admit much of what I said is debatable but gimme a break Selwood played 20 minutes, and Geelong are a finals contender, but not a flag contender.

I'll tip it early, Coll, Essendon and Adelaide will BOTH finish higher than us, the Dogs and the Cats.

Hope I'm wrong

‎''I still get really excited, and I've got the '66 thing up on the wall in a frame … You look at it and think: one day, we want to achieve that.''- Arryn Siposs
degruch
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:Selwood playec ten minutes......jack the same....

So it was difficult for them to exert their usual stamp on the game....just an obsevation
Being 'Jackless' was a big plus for Richmond tonight. Selwood was a big out for Geelong too, yes, but in these arguments (as per our loss of Roo against Collingwood last year) such losses don't weigh in to the discussion...I'm just playing by p66 forum rules (to my advantage, for once).

Pwoit
Saintsational Legend

Im prepared to see the year out with our young guys playing - if we dont finish high on the the ladder so be it. I over it already as the preseason rubbish has killed my interest in what happens this year.

degruch
Saintsational Legend

dcstkfc wrote:
degruch wrote:

I'll admit much of what I said is debatable but gimme a break Selwood played 20 minutes, and Geelong are a finals contender, but not a flag contender.

I'll tip it early, Coll, Essendon and Adelaide will BOTH finish higher than us, the Dogs and the Cats.

Hope I'm wrong
IMO...Essendon, no. Dogs, weeeell...they may make the finals, if someone above them drops out. They'll be vying for 9th, with Richmond.

dcstkfc
Saintsational Legend

degruch wrote:
BigMart wrote:Selwood playec ten minutes......jack the same....

Being 'Jackless' was a big plus for Richmond tonight. Selwood was a big out for Geelong too, yes, but in these arguments (as per our loss of Roo against Collingwood last year) such losses don't weigh in to the discussion...I'm just playing by p66 forum rules (to my advantage, for once).
Are you generally en extremely positive person? Asking because I am genuinely interested

satchmo
Saintsational Legend

Hey marto, your team is s***, but at least you get to bag everyone and say I told you so in a sarcastic fashion. You must be stoked.

*Allegedly.

Bring back Lucky Burgers, and nobody gets hurt.

You can't un-fry things.

Last Post
asiu
Saintsational Legend

Being 'Jackless' was a big plus for Richmond tonight.
because they could not be jack centric ?

how 'interesting' we were without roo for the first half of last year as well.

.name the ways , thought manipulates the State of Presence away.

.tipara waranta kani nina-tu.
Gabba
SS Hall of Fame

Not too worried? Lenny has done his ACL, I am very worried.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

hungry for a premiership wrote:DON'T PANIC!!!

Wasn't the brand of the footy we played tonight much better?? Wasn't it more akin to what everyone has been calling for? Yes, it was, so it appears evident that the game style HAS changed.

Now, it's going to take a bit of TIME for the boys to adjust to the new game plan and get the balance right. We were clearly looking more dangerous is attack last night, but, our defence wasn't its usual self. We conceded 7 GOALS in the 2nd quarter! Most un-stkilda like.

I'm reckoning it will take 5-10 weeks to get the groove going with the new style, and the boys will really kick into gear come the 2nd half of the season, and hopefully, peak come finals time. Anything is possible.
we dont have list/squad to play the modern brand of footy. we built a squad based on 05 swans footy and then called it saints footy.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:
hungry for a premiership wrote:DON'T PANIC!!!

we dont have list/squad to play the modern brand of footy. we built a squad based on 05 swans footy and then called it saints footy.
30 scoring shots on a horrible night for some of our better players says you're wrong.

The new style we are in the midst of fine tuning, could be just the tonic to get everyone enthused about footy again.

Can't wait too see what can be acheived when we finally have a properly structed forward line again, when that much entry is becoming a trend.

spert
Saintsational Legend

See how Essendon goes against the Swans before we get carried away with them.
We just need to play man-on-man footy against Essendon and win individual contests (that's how you win a game anyway). Close down Watson and you close down Essendon.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

essendon love playing us.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

If we lose to Essendon so be it, doesn't mean we are gone. Just need to keep building towards september and then worry about what happens. we may go down fighting or just capitulate, at least all the let's play the kids fans will get their wish.