The Good News...

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

The Good News...

Its Rd two. We are a mess and know it early. We have time/ability to recover, regroup and reload but we gotta act NOW.

We covered Riewoldt last year when many said we couldnt - we did and went on. We can adapt to life without Hayes....it may FORCE another to take the next step.

As has been said, had we won 2 close ones....we'd paper over cracks. We cant now.

We all know there is nothing that rejuvinates a side like ours like youth. The belief that the future is strong and that there is skilled support for the older elite core is crucial. It will reinvigorate us - IF Lyon allows it.

No, we don't need to inject 10 youngsters.....but we need to see at least 2-3 new young faces in this team at the expense of Baker, Grams, Dempsters, Mqualters, Blake, Jones et al......

I would also like to see us fast track Walsh.

Last year we beat Collingwood Rd 3 after losing Riewoldt. After the game everyone said Pies were going nowhere, were playing the boundary and hadnt adapted to our pressure and they were dreadful kicks for goal. Fast forward to now and they are Premiers and apparently unbeatable (I dont believe that).

We can reinvent ourselves this year but we have to act.

BTW - Montagna HAS to lift in Hayes absence - Dal too.

“Yeah….nah””
Iceman234
Saintsational Legend

Like.

Iceman234
Saintsational Legend

Like.

tweedaletomanning
Club Player

Careful Teflon, you are about to get abused by STinkersaint.

Your not allowed to just post "Good News" :roll: :roll:

Psst, it's his pet hate.....

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Re: The Good News...

Teflon wrote:Its Rd two. We are a mess and know it early. We have time/ability to recover, regroup and reload but we gotta act NOW.

We covered Riewoldt last year when many said we couldnt - we did and went on. We can adapt to life without Hayes....it may FORCE another to take the next step.

As has been said, had we won 2 close ones....we'd paper over cracks. We cant now.

We all know there is nothing that rejuvinates a side like ours like youth. The belief that the future is strong and that there is skilled support for the older elite core is crucial. It will reinvigorate us - IF Lyon allows it.

No, we don't need to inject 10 youngsters.....but we need to see at least 2-3 new young faces in this team at the expense of Baker, Grams, Dempsters, Mqualters, Blake, Jones et al......

Last year we beat Collingwood Rd 3 after losing Riewoldt. After the game everyone said Pies were going nowhere, were playing the boundary and hadnt adapted to our pressure and they were dreadful kicks for goal. Fast forward to now and they are Premiers and apparently unbeatable (I dont believe that).

Well said Teflon. Wise words

Zed
SS Hall of Fame

last 2 years we started the season well and started to struggle toward the end of the home and away season

this year maybe we hit our straps later in the year and run intio the finals with form rather than trying to recapture early season form

Life is never more fun than when you're the underdog competing against the giants.
stevie
Saintsational Legend

I still think we have to be blooding the young blokes, even if Lenny wasn't hurt.
what is the poiint of having talent like Stanley, Steven, Lynch, walsh, Cripps, etc, if they aren't getting game time now?
Ok, i know other teams have had to play the younguns becaue they had no one else - thats why Essendon and Richmond have shown good signs for the future. we have had a top side for 3 years now and no one new could really get in.

Lenny's knee? I listened to the game on the radio - I don't have digital and the friday night game is on 7mate up here on the GC now. when they said he was clutching the back of his knee i thought hamstring. I've had knee recos and know all about it.
Hopefully it isn't an ACL, just a medial as other threads have said. He could've just jarred it.

We'll see.

We still have Kosi and Schneids to come in yet. It'll be tough if Lenny is gone for the season but I'll be supporting our boys. They won't be giving up...

InkerSaint
SS Hall of Fame

tweedaletomanning wrote:Careful Teflon, you are about to get abused by STinkersaint.

Your not allowed to just post "Good News" :roll: :roll:

Psst, it's his pet hate.....
Yep. Although I agree with the OP - we need an injection of youth - there's nothing worse than clicking on a link thinking "thank God, maybe Lenny's injury isn't that serious" and getting "at least it's only round 2". Teflon... you inconsiderate pr*ck... ;)

What I took out of last night was Armo had a great game (if only Dempster could lift like that!). McEvoy great first and second efforts and becoming a regular scoreboard contributor. And reports of Milne and Baker's demise are well off the mark (although any other year and Milne would have kicked 7.4 not 4.7).

Villains... where do you start... Jones, Gilbert, Gram... Clarke MIA...

And Twee, you need to stop obsessing about me. I'm not that important.

"... You want to pose a threat to the opposition in as many ways as you can, both defensively and offensively. We've got a responsibility to explore all those possibilities - and we will."
PJ
SS Life Member

I think this is a big possibility and would be wise. Simpkin is still a chance for defensive backup.

Sensible post.

I think exposing us without Lenny is what we need. He has held our midfield together for too long without support. We must develop our midfield, pure and simple.

I think it's a pity Ledger got the hammy, he seemed to be a find. Steven is the obvious but perhaps isn't in the best condition or form. A Smith will give us something but isn't a Lenny. Ledger to me looked like that aggressive in and under.

I think we just need to lower the expectation until we can get some aggression and balance in the team.

I've never seen a bad St.Kilda player - that's just how they are.
borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

I think Lenny;s replacement already played last night, and was our BOG. Armo.

PJ
SS Life Member

Armo is not enough, he's already there doing it. We need more midfield pressure. Could Jones have any impact?

I've never seen a bad St.Kilda player - that's just how they are.
ralphsmith
SS Hall of Fame

Without desire it will all be in vain.

The team needs to be hungry to ram the fist of defiance up everyones ass.

What is dead may never die, but rises again harder and stronger.
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

PJ wrote:
Armo is not enough, he's already there doing it. We need more midfield pressure. Could Jones have any impact?
When he learns to kick and handball. Jones is a stopper at best.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
St Lenny
Club Player

Re: The Good News...

Teflon wrote:Its Rd two. We are a mess and know it early. We have time/ability to recover, regroup and reload but we gotta act NOW.

Yes I agree. We have bought in Armo, Gamble and Archer though. Armo has to make himself a regular in the team. If the young guys want games they have to play so well for Sandy that we have to pick them, they are not doing that at this stage.

St. Luke
Saintsational Legend

Totally agree Teflon. Round 2 - whoop-tee-do! This draw is a gentle tap on the shoulder to let us know we need to alter a few things. It's not the end of the world, the sky isn't falling. People need to learn some perspective.

Big test with the Bombers coming up. This will show whether we're switched on, or just turning up.

When they created LENNY HAYES (in the shadow of Harvs) they forgot to break the mold (again)- hence the Supremely Incredible Jack Steven!!
defacto
Club Player

Where's the like button. The other thing we have to do is cull the number of backmen we play.

Time to drop baker and blake. Gilbert to stay down back. Dempster as bakers replacement. If dempster is s*** play a kid

3rd generation saint
Saintsational Legend

The only good news I can see right now is that I'll save a lot of money come September this year.
We couldn't beat Geelong minus their best player who went off early in the 1st quarter last week, and we couldn't beat Richmond minus clearly their best player who went off early in the first quarter this week.
Plus they kicked 14 goals against our vaunted defence without him.
The side looks tired, slow and not hungry right now. The only time they tackled anywhere like they did 2 years ago was for the few minutes after Ray got bundled over.
There has to be a huge rocket put up their collective backsides and a few hometruths said if we are too have any chance too recover the year.

Except for the sanity nothing much has been lost.
Thinline
Saintsational Legend

Teflon. Good job.

It may look crook in Tobruk, but it only takes a week and 'boom'...

I'm not giving up.

Screw the lot of you who do.

Cripps/Ledger/Stanley/Archer/Steven - have a look in the eyes of the bloke who just went down and make what you see your modus operandi.

You can and you will.

"The inches we need are everywhere around us. They're in every break in the game. Every minute, every second. On this team we fight for that inch. On this team we tear ourselves and everyone around us to pieces for that inch. We claw with our fingernails for that inch. Because we know when we add up all those inches that's gonna make the f***in' difference between winning and losing! Between living and dying!'
CeilidhSaint
Club Player

Agree with you 3rd - we look lacklustre, switched off and distracted. Some of the "tackling" efforts from Dawson and Gilbert in particular make me think their minds are elsewhere and maybe there are too many just playing out their last year thinking everything will just "happen" and they will be dragged along by the others. At the moment we are a 9 - 12th team.

TB 1 - The Brightest Light on the Darkest Night - we miss you.
Think Globally, Act Sainterly
I have Phil Narkle's helmet
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

We were never going to win the flag this year without some of our younger players pushing up into te 22.

Hopefully the first two weeks will accelerate the process of giving those players a go.

This will still give us a chance to prosper this year if they do.....and if not this year will put us in a better position for the next few years.

It is time for players who are not likely to play in the next year or two to have their spots taken by our "future" players.

ie Baker, Blake

Blake is a good steady GOP....but we need to give preference to our future. Lets get a season into say Simpkin .

Also players that our just depth players..but are not likely to improve.

ie Peake, Dempster.

The above are all well and good to retain when you are going well....but now is time where we need to evolve.

We still have some good core payers....but we need to start really developing our next-gen.

PS: I have no issue with what we did the last two years as it optimised our chances in winning a flag in those years.

But it is now 2011....and our situation, as well as our opponents have changed.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....