Possible Team this week vs. Essendon

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

MadSaintFan
Club Player

Possible Team this week vs. Essendon

These projected teams are done to death but I cant help but get a little excited by the possibility of a couple ofyounger players sticking their hand up for selection.

FB: Gwilt Dawson Baker
(I'd give Baker another game. I bagged him during the week but he still plays the lock-down role effectively. Gwilt and Dawson have been steady. Dawson has actually impressed me alot in rds 1&2.)

HB: T.Lynch Fisher Gilbert
(Lynchs game off HB for Sandy was very good. Used the ball well and look composed. I'll give him a crack this weekend down back, where he looks more comfortable.)

C: Steven DalSanto Gram
(Steven showed good speed and toughness for Sandy. Got alot of the ball and can kick goals. Get him in.)

HF: Gamble Riewoldt Schneider
(I want to see Gamble in a forward line where he's not getting the 2nd best defender. Schneider straight back in. He was top 3 for goal assists last year. Looks alot more dangerous with him in.)

FF: Milne Koschitzke Goddard
(Kossie back in. Helps our structure and means we have a stay-at-home target. I'd also play Goddard forward. Would cause Essendon alot of headaches marking Roo, Kos and Goddard. All great marking power, and with Schneids and Milney at their feet plus Gamble running to dangerous spots gives us alot more targets.)

R: McEvoy Armitage Montagna
(Best game so far last week for Armo. Needs to back it up again this week and find some consistency.)

I/C: Ray Blake C.Jones Sub: R.Clarke
(Ray and Jones add run through the middle. Blake is a MrFixit down back and back up in the ruck if Kossie goes down. Clarke as sub, runs like the wind and coming on in a 3rd quarter could help break the lines.

Out: Archer Peake Hayes Dempster
In: Kossie Schneider Steven Lynch

noob
Club Player

I do think Goddard up forward could be a masterstroke but the problem him down there is we don't have enough quality ball users to get him a ton of ball up forward. He played in the f50 in the last half last week and barely got a touch. Our general ball use around the ground is okay but into the f50 is pathetic.

IluvHarvey
SS Life Member

I like it but I doubt we will bring both Kosi and Schneids in as neither of them have had a game yet. Might be shown up for match fitness. If that is the case I would leave Archer in and look at bringing Kosi back after the bye.

"It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress."
gringo
Saintsational Legend

I actually think if there was a week where a guy like Smith should get a go it is this one. Baker was frustrated on the dons small runners, we could get Smith as a sub and if Bakes struggles swap them after the half time break.

And GIVE WILL A GAME, I still want to see the guy get a go over Gamble, as he looks big and quick a hard match up for Essendon. He is looking like a real option after a couple of good weeks of Sandy footy and a good NAB.

saint66au
Saintsational Legend

Im just waiting for WW3 to break out on here when...

In: Schneider
Out: Hayes (inj)

...is the only change..and its quite possible 8-)

THE BUBBLE HAS BURST

2011 player sponsor
gringo
Saintsational Legend

Quite possibly we won't get any real changes, but I think the talk is of playing some youth. It may be a token like one game off the bench for lynch but he is making appeasing noises.

mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

Out: Hayes, Jones, Peake
In: Steven, Schneider, Johnson

Jones and Peake can't dispose of the footy and don't help the team at all by playing. Schneider has to come straight in, Steven is the next best midfield option and Johnson should be rewarded for his strong pre season and VFL form. Bakes gets another go because of all of Essendon's dangerous midgets, Dempster gets a chance to redeem himself after a shocker last week. Gamble also gets one more chance to show that he deserves a future in the AFL. Gilbert FF on Fletcher, restrict his run and make him accountable.

B: Gwilt, Dawson, Baker
HB: Clarke, Blake, Fisher
C: Gram, Armitage, Montagna
HF: Schneider, Riewoldt, Johnson
F: Milne, Gilbert, Gamble

Foll: McEvoy, Dal Santo, Goddard
Int: Archer, Steven, Dempster
Sub: Ray

Emg: Lynch, Smith, Stanley

What I like about that team in the variety of marking options. When Fisher, Raph or Gwilt get it on half back/wing they can look up and see any of Riewoldt, Goddard, Gilbert, Gamble, Johnson, Archer or Schneider making a lead.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Not sure about the team this week but I do think one thing has to happen and probably does each week now with only 3 on the bench and that is at least 2 out of those 3 must be onballers. It will certainly help that situation if Kosi is back this week as he can ruck and then rest on the ground. That means Archer goes and that should at least leave 2 mids on the bench if not 3.

3rd generation saint
Saintsational Legend

Jones may get the job to curb Watson, who has done considerable damage to us the last few times we've played them.

Except for the sanity nothing much has been lost.
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

3rd generation saint wrote:Jones may get the job to curb Watson, who has done considerable damage to us the last few times we've played them.

who got the job on watson on previous occasion?

i like jones - in 09 he was a blonde haired brick wall. you just couldnt get passed him. But in the past 12 months he has really been awful,. hes lost his manic approach but kept his shocking disposal. Not sure what we do with him. But we cant keep ignoring how badly he is going.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

saint66au wrote:Im just waiting for WW3 to break out on here when...

yep. u are right. hayes for schneider.

he will keep his loyalty for dempster/blake/bakes/peake/jones .

MadSaintFan
Club Player

Liked what I saw from Will Johnson last weekend but have heard nothing from the club about him banging the door down. Id expect he'd need to string 4-5 weeks of good performances in at Sandy to be a possibility.

What I liked though was his speed and attack on the ball/man with the ball. I remember one bit of play where he nearly steamrolled a Coburg player over the boundary line at full pace.

Regarding Goddard up forward - we need to take a risk or two. With Riewoldt playing Half Forward we had no targets inside forward 50 on many occasions last week, even though we got it in there more than enough. We panicked, bombed inside and this resulted in a turnover. Id put a cone in our forward line 35m out and another one on the edge of the square and tell Goddard to rome between this 30m zone. Our players have to be good enough to lower the eyes and spot up targets around the 50m arc other than Roo. This is where I want BJ to play - from here he can kick 50m at goal or use his footskills to find another forward inside 50. Defenders are also going to be drawn to Goddard, which should open up space beyond him and deeper towards the goalsquare for Kossie.

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

Gilbert has totally lost his way....down back please Ross.

Iceman234
Saintsational Legend

Not sure how Lynch's confidence would go if he got destroyed by Fletcher again if they brought back Lynch this week.

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

Iceman234 wrote:Not sure how Lynch's confidence would go if he got destroyed by Fletcher again if they brought back Lynch this week.
Based on recent Sandy performances you'd play Lynch down back.

Doubt the Bummers would play Fletch up forward.

PJ
SS Life Member

Problem with Schneider for Hayes is that snides has had practically no preseason competitively. Losing Lenny and gaining snides will make us even slower and he won't last the whole game. He will give us something up forward and this we need desperately but in terms of midfield we lose - unless someone else is added. Steven, Smith?

I've never seen a bad St.Kilda player - that's just how they are.
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

steven will play if fit, surely.

AnythingsPossibleSaints
SS Life Member

gringo wrote:Quite possibly we won't get any real changes, but I think the talk is of playing some youth. It may be a token like one game off the bench for lynch but he is making appeasing noises.
I'm pretty sure I heard Ross on the radio today saying that there will be "several changes" to our team this week. It was during one of the hourly news broadcasts, from an interview earlier in the day.
So, unless he was BSing, we may have more than we've had in a long time.

YOU GET WHAT YOU SETTLE FOR.
bergholt
Saintsational Legend

Re: Possible Team this week vs. Essendon

MadSaintFan wrote:FB: Gwilt Dawson Baker
I/C: ... Blake ... Sub: R.Clarke
my problem with this is that you've got eight players who all play best behind the ball.

not only that, the average height of these eight is about 190cm. they're tall and not especially quick (bakes aside). i haven't seen essendon play the last two weeks, but their forward line will be something like:

ryder (197), hurley (193), crameri (186), zaharakis (182), jetta (178), davey (173)

average height 185cm, and a fair bit of speed in there.

it just seems silly to pick a side which has such an obvious deficiency, given how essendon have beaten us recently, and other teams as well.

bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

Re: Possible Team this week vs. Essendon

bergholt wrote:
MadSaintFan wrote:FB: Gwilt Dawson Baker
I/C: ... Blake ... Sub: R.Clarke
my problem with this is that you've got eight players who all play best behind the ball.

not only that, the average height of these eight is about 190cm. they're tall and not especially quick (bakes aside). i haven't seen essendon play the last two weeks, but their forward line will be something like:

ryder (197), hurley (193), crameri (186), zaharakis (182), jetta (178), davey (173)

average height 185cm, and a fair bit of speed in there.

it just seems silly to pick a side which has such an obvious deficiency, given how essendon have beaten us recently, and other teams as well.
good points...i wonder what Ross and co talk about at selection.. i wonder if they ever talk about Essendon's speed and our inability to score...let alone hit a target.

Saints looking like a bottom 4 team in 2024.
Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

AnythingsPossibleSaints wrote:
gringo wrote:Quite possibly we won't get any real changes, but I think the talk is of playing some youth. It may be a token like one game off the bench for lynch but he is making appeasing noises.
I'm pretty sure I heard Ross on the radio today saying that there will be "several changes" to our team this week. It was during one of the hourly news broadcasts, from an interview earlier in the day.
So, unless he was BSing, we may have more than we've had in a long time.
From the Saints website today:

"Lyon said he (Schneider) would be considered but was careful not too rush too many players back into the side at once.

"He's in the mix and is certainly available to be picked," he said. 

"We have got to make the decision, does he play? With three interchange and a sub it puts a bit more pressure on. We're seeing fatigued players, so how many new players can you bring in? That's the question."

Schneids and Kosi are being spoken about so it remains to be seen whether any young players get a chance this week.

footynut
Club Player

Glibert has seemed a little lost up forward, however he appeared to provide a lot of drive out of the middle after lenny went off last week. It is a must that he rotates through there, and Armitage needs to start in the middle on the wknd!!!

3rd generation saint
Saintsational Legend

Here's a thought, why not give Gilbert a midfield role, play him s a wingman.
That way he can drift down back as an extra defender as well as drifting forward.
He has the height and pace to be very effective in this role.

Except for the sanity nothing much has been lost.
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

If you really want WW3 we need two changes, what you said plus mini in for a non lovechild out!

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
spert
Saintsational Legend

Looks like Baker has a sore foot and may not play. Kosi may not get a gig yet, but Schneider will. So out Hayes, Baker, and in Schneider and Lynch maybe. Hille is out for Essendon, and he is one of their key drivers. I would like to see Peake out and another young recruit get a game, but it wont happen.