A fish rots at the head first

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

FortiusQuoFidelius
Club Player

A fish rots at the head first

Lyon must go.

That is all...

:shock:

Middo
Club Player

Re: A fish rots at the head first

FortiusQuoFidelius wrote:Lyon must go.

That is all...

Gary Lyon...?

438 posts and thats all you can come up with...?

Jack Newnes happy to be a Saint !!!! PS and to hit a target !!!
BigMart
Saintsational Legend

He needs to rethink....this team is not good enough, with its current structure....he has just been taught a lesson by a third gamer...

His use of players is very negative

FortiusQuoFidelius
Club Player

Re: A fish rots at the head first

Middo wrote:
FortiusQuoFidelius wrote:Lyon must go.

That is all...

Gary Lyon...?

438 posts and thats all you can come up with...?
I'm sorry... I wasnt aware there was a rule that says I have to go on with sentence after sentence of mindless drivel like many posters here do.

I posted my opinion. If you cant make a contribution without being a smart arse then it's probably best you dont post at all!

:roll: :roll: :roll:

spert
Saintsational Legend

Our cat always eats the heads of any critter he catches, so obviously that's where all the good stuff is!

St Igmata
Club Player

RL's list wasnt flash when he came in.
Years of poor llist management meant it just wasnt in a healthy state.
He was smart enough to understand the game was in transition and that if he can protect the lack od speed he wwould be competitive against teams less organised and set up.
So he used an extention of a gameplan he knew so well, which had delivered a flag to the Swans with an average list.
The gameplan worked and was a bees dick off 2 flags.
Unfortunately the list is even more underdeveloped now and other clubs have caught up.
So he needs to pull a rabbit out of the hat.
Not an easy task.
But he did well.

tweedaletomanning
Club Player

St Igmata wrote:RL's list wasnt flash when he came in.
He was smart enough to understand the game was in transition and that if he can protect the lack od speed he wwould be competitive against teams less organised and set up.
So he used an extention of a gameplan he knew so well, which had delivered a flag to the Swans with an average list.
Unfortunately the list is even more underdeveloped now and other clubs have caught up.
Not an easy task.
But he did well.
Excellent post!

thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

I'm reluctant to use the "sack the coach" strategy at this stage...BUT It has to be said that Essendon have beaten us regularly since round 20 2009, and it appears that our coach has learned sweet FA as to reversing the trend. maybe not a candidate for the sack just yet, but the signs are worrying that he does not seem to have any flair for doing the unexpected during games. we are SO predictable ATM!

St Kilda forever 🔴⚪️⚫️ ( God help me)
spert
Saintsational Legend

thejiggingsaint wrote:I'm reluctant to use the "sack the coach" strategy at this stage...BUT It has to be said that Essendon have beaten us regularly since round 20 2009, and it appears that our coach has learned sweet FA as to reversing the trend. maybe not a candidate for the sack just yet, but the signs are worrying that he does not seem to have any flair for doing the unexpected during games. we are SO predictable ATM!
Very good point jiggster -we were observing today that RL seems to have learnt little from the past and will not budge from his plan.

FortiusQuoFidelius
Club Player

thejiggingsaint wrote:I'm reluctant to use the "sack the coach" strategy at this stage...BUT It has to be said that Essendon have beaten us regularly since round 20 2009, and it appears that our coach has learned sweet FA as to reversing the trend. maybe not a candidate for the sack just yet, but the signs are worrying that he does not seem to have any flair for doing the unexpected during games. we are SO predictable ATM!
Dont get me wrong... I'm not saying sack him, I'm saying he must go.

perfectionist
Saintsational Legend

St Igmata wrote:...So he needs to pull a rabbit out of the hat...
Easter Bunny? We play Brisbane (our next game) on Easter Thursday, sometimes known as Holy or Maundy Thursday.

meher baba
Saintsational Legend

Not an easy task.
But he did well.
The list was pretty good when Lyon started: probably the best list ever inherited by a novice coach.

Lyon has been a pretty good coach, but the recruitment and player development has been shocking. The culmination was the Ball-Lovett fiasco in 2009.

We have had declining depth at the club for a number of years. It's finally caught up with us

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."
- Jonathan Swift
St Igmata
Club Player

How was the list great when he came along?

duckduckduckgoose
Club Player

haha, sack the coach.
come on- i thought we had moved passed all that.

i've never been a big wrap for RL but he has proved over the last few years he knows what he's doing.

I bought a shirt from Target once.
It had a hard tag on it too.

I know how Dal feels.
dcstkfc
Saintsational Legend

The question to be asked: Is Ross Lyon the man to guide us through the re-build?

STRENGTH THROUGH LOYALTY.

‎''I still get really excited, and I've got the '66 thing up on the wall in a frame … You look at it and think: one day, we want to achieve that.''- Arryn Siposs
FortiusQuoFidelius
Club Player

duckduckduckgoose wrote:haha, sack the coach.
come on- i thought we had moved passed all that.

i've never been a big wrap for RL but he has proved over the last few years he knows what he's doing.
Who said sack the coach??? The original post said Lyon must go...

Big difference!!

spert
Saintsational Legend

Coach the sack!

Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

Yeah, RL must go ...and buy some milk tonight before he gets home, so he can have a cup of coffee in the morning.

Curb your enthusiasm - you’re a St.Kilda supporter!!
desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

Not an easy task.
But he did well.
he did well - but a better coach would have a flag or two by now - as it is ross has overseen the most talented top ten we have ever had, topped them up with spuds, ignored some better, younger talent, drilled a boring game style suited to the spuds he recruited, drove away our second best hard ball getter, recruited a drunken woman basher as his replacement, left an inspirational fullback on the bench in his last game and gf, panicked when that final was in grasp, and got us to...second. twice!
time to go. time for the boys to enjoy their footy again.
almost a legend - very unlucky - footy's a hard gig...

unless we believe he can develop a new game plan and develop the players capable of pulling it off - in the next two years.

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
meher baba
Saintsational Legend

St Igmata wrote:How was the list great when he came along?
Riewoldt
Kosi
Goddard
Fisher
Hayes
Ball
Harvey
Dal
Joey
Baker
Milne
Max
Blake
Gehrig
Gilbert
Gram
Gwilt
etc

Plenty of talent and experience there if you ask me. Had made the finals 3 years in a row and went on to make the finals again 3 out of 4 years (Inc 2 GFs).

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."
- Jonathan Swift
St Igmata
Club Player

desertsaint wrote:
Not an easy task.
But he did well.
he did well - but a better coach would have a flag or two by now - as it is ross has overseen the most talented top ten we have ever had, topped them up with spuds, ignored some better, younger talent, drilled a boring game style suited to the spuds he recruited, drove away our second best hard ball getter, recruited a drunken woman basher as his replacement, left an inspirational fullback on the bench in his last game and gf, panicked when that final was in grasp, and got us to...second. twice!

unless we believe he can develop a new game plan and develop the players capable of pulling it off - in the next two years.
Get real!
If someone told u when Ross Lyon started he will lead Saints to 2 GFs that can go either way you wouldnt have believed it back then.
Alot of players were long in the tooth and nothing coming through.

Moods
Saintsational Legend

Sainternist wrote:Yeah, RL must go ...and buy some milk tonight before he gets home, so he can have a cup of coffee in the morning.
I see it different. Tonight showed me just how good Lyon has been the last 4 years. He developed a game plan that took the entire competition unawares. Collingwood were the first to catch on. They recruited Hudghton, and I firmly believe he taught this game plan to the pies. Malthouse can bang on about how he was developing this game plan for 3 years but I don't buy it. His was essentially a man on man game plan. Lyon introduced the fwd press and basically took Clarkson's cluster to a new and better extreme.

One on one the saints just aren't that good, particularly our backs. I noticed last year that when our backs didn't have that extra support they were often beaten. Tonight stood out like a sore thumb. For Lyon not only to design a game plan that has changed the entire way the game is played, but to come within a bees dick of 2 flags with a list with now obvious limitations is amazing.

Ppl can prattle on about certain players, but the truth is there is no-one better to replace them with. WE're just going to have to suck it up and hope like hell that Ledger, Winmar, Smith, Cripps and Walsh all turn out to be prodigy's.

To the original OP - if you don't want Lyon sacked then what did you mean? Sacking Lyon would be one of the biggest mistakes in our club's sad history, and there's been a few made.

desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

St Igmata wrote:
desertsaint wrote:
Not an easy task.
But he did well.

Get real!
If someone told u when Ross Lyon started he will lead Saints to 2 GFs that can go either way you wouldnt have believed it back then.
Alot of players were long in the tooth and nothing coming through.
no - didn't think much of ross - he was better than i first thought. but i always thought this team had a premiership or two in them - not just a couple of close loses.
he had a great nucleus who have played what should have been their peak years under him - a better coach would've done more with them.
Riewoldt
Kosi
Goddard
Fisher
Hayes
Ball
Dal
Joey
Baker
Milne
Blake
Gilbert
Gram
you might argue over one or two there - but he still also had a couple of years with harvey & max.

if he couldn't get this team to a flag do you really believe he can get one out of their prime?

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
clarky449
Saintsational Legend

Yeah and do the famous St Kilda sack the coach. :roll: :roll: Wouldnt surprise me with this club.

Follow me for my expert opinions on Twitter @DanielClark93
FortiusQuoFidelius
Club Player

Moods wrote:
Sainternist wrote:Yeah, RL must go ...and buy some milk tonight before he gets home, so he can have a cup of coffee in the morning.
I see it different. Tonight showed me just how good Lyon has been the last 4 years. He developed a game plan that took the entire competition unawares. Collingwood were the first to catch on. They recruited Hudghton, and I firmly believe he taught this game plan to the pies. Malthouse can bang on about how he was developing this game plan for 3 years but I don't buy it. His was essentially a man on man game plan. Lyon introduced the fwd press and basically took Clarkson's cluster to a new and better extreme.

One on one the saints just aren't that good, particularly our backs. I noticed last year that when our backs didn't have that extra support they were often beaten. Tonight stood out like a sore thumb. For Lyon not only to design a game plan that has changed the entire way the game is played, but to come within a bees dick of 2 flags with a list with now obvious limitations is amazing.

Ppl can prattle on about certain players, but the truth is there is no-one better to replace them with. WE're just going to have to suck it up and hope like hell that Ledger, Winmar, Smith, Cripps and Walsh all turn out to be prodigy's.

To the original OP - if you don't want Lyon sacked then what did you mean? Sacking Lyon would be one of the biggest mistakes in our club's sad history, and there's been a few made.
If I had wanted Lyon to be sacked, my post would have said "SACK LYON"

I dont think Lyon should be sacked, I believe he must go!