Why?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

GrumpyOne
Saintsational Legend
Location: Kicked out of the Coffee Shop, Settlement Pub, Cranbourne

Why?

Why wasn't Watson tagged in the first half?

Why are our ruckmen tapping the ball to the opposition?

Why are Dal Santo, Montagna, Gilbert, Goddard, all down on form at the same time?

Australia...... Live it like we stole it....... Because we did.
joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

Lenny Hayes

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Have to agree.

Heartbeat missing.

thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

A sad indictment on the collective psyche of our team if it's down to losing one player :cry:

St Kilda forever 🔴⚪️⚫️ ( God help me)
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Not so much that Jig, we lack a barometer at the moment.

We have quite a few guys capable of lifting the side, Lenny is one, Goddard is out of form...

I am sure I will cop it here, but I reckon the big number 23 is capable of lifting the side, Gardi too.

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

Re: Why?

GrumpyOne wrote:Why wasn't Watson tagged in the first half?
i'm not sure about your other two questions, but this one is a good one. here's watson's last five games against us:

2011 R3: 33 poss, 24 k/9 hb, 6 m, 3 tck, 5 i50s, 3 goals
2010 R18: 30 poss, 13 k/17 hb, 7 m, 5 tck, 3 i50s, 1 goal
2010 R8: 25 poss, 11 k/14 hb, 5 m, 5 tck, 5 i50s
2009 R20: 37 poss, 18 k/19 hb, 5 m, 8 tck, 6 i50s, 1 goal
2009 R8: 39 poss, 13 k/26 hb, 6 m, 6 tck, 3 i50s

he's averaging 33 possessions, 6 marks, 5 tackles, 4 inside 50s, 1 goal in those five games. ridiculous performances! hasn't his family done enough damage to st kilda?

fletcher's not quite as good, but his last three games are still pretty solid:

2011 R3: 20 poss, 13 k/7 hb, 7 m
2010 R18: 24 poss, 17 k/7 hb, 6 m
2010 R8: 22 poss, 20 k/2 hb, 9 m

his career average is a lot less than the 22 possessions he's averaged against us recently, not to mention the 7+ marks.

it does surprise me that each time we play essendon we seem incapable of even thinking about how to stop watson and fletcher.

bigred
Saintsational Legend

I hate to say it because it is a slight against the rest of the side....

We would not have been smashed like that if Lenny was in the square.

The end.

He drags players with him.

Losing Lenny is bigger than losing Roo.

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
St Lenny
Club Player

I agree that Lenny is the heartbeat of the club. But the whole team is "off" at the moment. Dal showed patches last night, but not enough. Joey rarely plays a good game at the best of times. Big Ben is not up to being no 1 Ruckman at this stage, but theres no one else, a real problem for us. Bring back Blake and leave him on the backline. At least Gram showed glimpses of his former self last night and I thought Jack was OK. Stanley still a way to go, his body language was shocking. One good thing from last night was Smith, long term I think he will be great for us.

thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

SainterK, you won't cop anything from me for giving an opinion, however.....I have to say that if we're really looking to Kosi to turn things around then we really are in the schitt! I love the big 23 and want to see him in the side, but that hit in 2008 finished him as the player we all thought he would become. I HOPE to be proven SO wrong, but my head must overule my heart on this one

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

thejiggingsaint wrote:SainterK, you won't cop anything from me for giving an opinion, however.....I have to say that if we're really looking to Kosi to turn things around then we really are in the schitt! I love the big 23 and want to see him in the side, but that hit in 2008 finished him as the player we all thought he would become. I HOPE to be proven SO wrong, but my head must overule my heart on this one
I didn't say turn things around as far as ability, I was talking more about who is capable of being a barometer to get the boys up and about.

matrix
Saintsational Legend

i agree red
losing lenny IS bigger than losing roo

thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

Fair comment SainterK! :lol:

Dal_Santos_Gal
Saintsational Legend

if one player is the heartbeat to this club then we are STUFFED !!! simple as that.

I agree with all the comments posted and its heart breaking to see Lenny gone for the year. But really if one player makes the difference between winning and losing by nearly 9 goals to a side who didn't even make the 8 last year... WERE STUFFED

I just hope Lenny is a small part of that heartbeat, I really do

In Ross Get lost!

I am excited to stay at St Kilda and this is a great result for the Club and all our fans. I’m proud to be part of the Saints and am pleased to be playing football with the Clubâ€
jonesy
Saintsational Legend

Watsons destroyed us for 3 years,and it is perplexing he is given no respect from us or our coaching staff each and every time

Bring back the Lockett era
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

jonesy wrote:Watsons destroyed us for 3 years,and it is perplexing he is given no respect from us or our coaching staff each and every time
He was given huge respect by our coaching staff this game. We had our best player or second best player on him. The days of tagging are pretty much out the window the way the game has been played for the last 2 years with how zones work. It is now run with players who also need to be attacking and get and use the ball.

Moods
Saintsational Legend

matrix wrote:i agree red
losing lenny IS bigger than losing roo
Couldn't disagree more. Just looks like losing Lenny is bad. Let's face it, we were playing crap whilst Lenny was still in the team, why now is it all of a sudden is this the root cause? Too convenient by a mile

Lenny's a champ, and we all love and admire him, but if you're going to try and tell me that an aging champ who plays midfield can't be replaced. Sorry, not for mine..

A champion CHF however, who is the cornerstone of the team's attacks and is rated by most as being in the top 3 players in the comp....no comparison I reckon. Last year when we lost Roo, the team was travelling beautifully and so was Roo. WE kept the thing on track through sheer will, but the change was massive.

Difference this year to last is, Roo's not holding his marks like he can, BJ and Joey aren't stepping up like they have been, and our backline just isn't functioning like it has been. Lenny would be very useful in the centre square, but he's not a game breaker, and he's certainly NOT the reason why our form is poor.

stinger
Saintsational Legend

St Lenny wrote:I agree that Lenny is the heartbeat of the club. But the whole team is "off" at the moment. Dal showed patches last night, but not enough. Joey rarely plays a good game at the best of times. Big Ben is not up to being no 1 Ruckman at this stage, but theres no one else, a real problem for us. Bring back Blake and leave him on the backline. At least Gram showed glimpses of his former self last night and I thought Jack was OK. Stanley still a way to go, his body language was shocking. One good thing from last night was Smith, long term I think he will be great for us.
dempster should have got the flick....

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
MCG-Unit
SS Life Member

Re: Why?

GrumpyOne wrote:Why wasn't Watson tagged in the first half?

Why are our ruckmen tapping the ball to the opposition?

Why are Dal Santo, Montagna, Gilbert, Goddard, all down on form at the same time?
Dal Santo has been their most consistant player in the first 3 rounds IMO :shock:

Hold your ground :shock:
Stephen Theodore
SS Hall of Fame

Again, can only comment from the loungechair, but I thought Goddard was running with Watson for the majority of the game.

When Watson rested down forward, Goddard seemed to follow him, so I would think Watson was paid the due respect, but he still managed to pull Goddards pants down on the night.

AnythingsPossibleSaints
SS Life Member

Watson just made 185 not out, off 90 odd balls, with 15 sixes.
Or were you talking about Jobe Watson?
He was also pretty good and it might have been an idea to have someone play close to him, to free Goddard up to be more offensive.

YOU GET WHAT YOU SETTLE FOR.
Stephen Theodore
SS Hall of Fame

Might brighten things up to talk about S.Watson instead. :lol:

AnythingsPossibleSaints
SS Life Member

That was an outrageous innings! :lol:
He was fair dinkum laughing after he hit at least one of those sixes!

Stephen Theodore
SS Hall of Fame

Yep, some of the cleanest hiting I've seen in a while, even it was a minnow country.

AnythingsPossibleSaints
SS Life Member

If that was the first innings he was on track for 350, which would have been pretty good for a one day innings. :lol:

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

Stephen Theodore wrote:Might brighten things up to talk about S.Watson instead. :lol:
Who was on him? :D :D

Actually just watched it - holy s.hit, must have had an early dinner date. Best ODI Australian innings I've seen since Punters 140 n.o. in the 2003 WC Final in Jo'burg.

Outrageous batting.

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)