Money back for those who backed the Saints

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Money back for those who backed the Saints

TAB Sportsbet has declared St Kilda will not be winning this year's AFL Premiership and has gone to the extraordinary measure of giving punters who backed the Saints their money back

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

And it's one of the most cunning marketing stunts ever performed by the betting agency because what they are not telling you is that not one person alive had put a red cent on them to win it. True Story!

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Cairnsman wrote:And it's one of the most cunning marketing stunts ever performed by the betting agency because what they are not telling you is that not one person alive had put a red cent on them to win it. True Story!
So not one person in the whole of Australia backed us to win the flag on TAB sportsbet. That I doubt. Anyway these places do these type of things all the time as a marketing ploy.

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
Cairnsman wrote:And it's one of the most cunning marketing stunts ever performed by the betting agency because what they are not telling you is that not one person alive had put a red cent on them to win it. True Story!
So not one person in the whole of Australia backed us to win the flag on TAB sportsbet. That I doubt. Anyway these places do these type of things all the time as a marketing ploy.
We really should hook up one day for a coffee and get to know each other a bit better. I think with my knowledge and your doubt there could be endless hours of meaningless conversation.

Waltzing St Kilda
SS Hall of Fame

A nasty "cop that" to the Saints for securing Centrebet as their major sponsor.

Nothing else.

stkildathunda
SS Hall of Fame

Thats cool with me as ill get my $$$$ back and ill just re-invest it elsewhere for much better odds.

desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

can i have my money back on gold coast please.
and the lions, eagles, crows, power, north,tigers, dees,, blues, swans, bombers, and freo please?

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
stkildathunda
SS Hall of Fame

http://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/afl-pre ... 6039169744
St Kilda's stuttering start to the AFL season has resulted in TAB Sportsbet offering all punters who backed their Saints to win the flag in 2011 their money back.

The Saints have blown out to $26 for the flag after picking up a draw and two losses from their first three matches this year.

doggerel
Club Player

some context while on the subject of betting:

The Bulldogs have wins against Gold Coast & Brisbane @ Etihad (i.e. veritable Byes) and a 9 goal loss to Essendon and are 4th in line favourites for the flag @ $9.00.

The Saints have the same 9 goal loss to Essendon, a toss of the coin loss to 3rd line favourites Geelong, and, ok, a draw with a poor side, but one could point to poor conversion etc as a bit of an excuse. 10th in line for flag @ $26.

Recency is a big thing in footy. A good win on the road in Brisbane in a fortnight and those odds and plenty of sentiment will start to turn around.

St Kilda Social Club member since 1996
ausfatcat
Saintsational Legend

So no one in australia bet on the last 2 years runners up to win the premiership before the season started?

People will bet on every team people would have bet on gold coast winning the premiership

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

well it worked cos now im logging in to a betting site to look at odds. man im one heck of a sucker.

saintDal
Club Player

Didn't they pay out on Richmond winning the wooden spoon last year? How'd that work out for them.

Johnny Member
Saintsational Legend

It's not just marketing. It's mainly customer relations.

There are so many of these online/corporate bookies around these days, and they're all doing their best to get people to use them.

I'm a member with a few of them, and I generally use the one's that I feel are giving me a fair go (if there's such a thing on the punt!).

If they can make their clients feel like they're giving them a fighting chance, and throw them the odd sling now and then, it creates a sense of relationship.
If a bookie can have a 'relationship' with a client, they'll often hold onto them.

The bloke will still lose his cash every month, but he'd rather lose it to a bookie who he feels is a decent bloke giving him a chance, as opposed to a tightsarse trying to fleece every cent out him!

Johnny Member
Saintsational Legend

saintDal wrote:Didn't they pay out on Richmond winning the wooden spoon last year? How'd that work out for them.
Great (although it was Sportsbet, not the TAB).

I reckon they probably signed up thousands of new members on the back of it!