Who can reinvent themselves

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

older saint
SS Life Member

Who can reinvent themselves

It is interesting that we have not really had anyplayersof recent times re-invent themselves in a different position. You could argue Gwilt has done that but was never a permanent forward

A couple worth considering -

Ray - as a ball seeking run with player. Performance in 2nd half of drawn GF was excellent and has pace and stamina to stay, Can also hurt more than a jones when he gets the ball. Otherwise bound to be a depth player

Geary - Back Pocket to play on small quick forwards - (once over broken leg!)

Any others?

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Gamble could become a strong marking forward at Sandy and Peake could be a good running player there as well.

St Chris
SS Hall of Fame

Mini - another for the back pocket role.

#1GILL
SS Hall of Fame

Rob Eddy- Get's in Lenny's ear and learns what makes a great inside midfielder and becomes a top 10 league player in what is undoubtably the biggest resurection of a career of all time. Becomes a three time Brownlow medalist and wins two Norm Smiths as well as captaining the Saints to the 2018 premiership.

Seriously though, I think he could become a hard-nosed midfielder, pace isn't essential and footskills aren't the most important. He could potentially become a 2010 Jobe Watson I think.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

I had this really good idea that Gilbert would reinvent himself as a forward.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

Eddy is unfairly treated, he has only just got the amount of games that most would call an apprenticeship. His best should still be in the future. Gears would be a good fit for a Lenny replacement and could realistically be a very good one. He tackles, puts his head over the ball and gives his all sometimes the disposal is questionable but inside mid doesn't matter so much. Armo and Steven should be schnider and milne replacements if unable to take a midfield role. Guys like those two are your guys that have been in the team for development and because they haven't become a grade instantly people tend to write them off.

Sobraz
SS Life Member

#1GILL wrote:Seriously though, I think he could become a hard-nosed midfielder, pace isn't essential and footskills aren't the most important. He could potentially become a 2010 Jobe Watson I think.
Have you seen Jobe play recently??... And did you see any of Eddy's match down at Sandy on Sunday??...

Is this a serious consideration??...

So pace isn't essential, and footskills aren't the most important... And we already know he isnt a strong marking player, and he can't really read the play at all... Seems to have all the essential ingrediants to take that step then...

Eddy, along with Peake and Gamble as P66 mentioned earlier, are exactly where they belong... Sandringham... Lets hope they remain there all season...

#1GILL
SS Hall of Fame

Sobraz wrote:
#1GILL wrote:Seriously though, I think he could become a hard-nosed midfielder, pace isn't essential and footskills aren't the most important. He could potentially become a 2010 Jobe Watson I think.
Have you seen Jobe play recently??...
Yep, that's why it says 2010 Jobe Watson, he's a completely different player this year.

And did you see any of Eddy's match down at Sandy on Sunday??...
Nope, but I've seen him play plenty of games at AFL level and he goes in as hard as anyone, can extract the ball, just wasn't given a lot of opportunities to do so.

Is this a serious consideration??...
Yes, I know it's not likely, but the thread is based on throwing something out there and my suggestion was just a shot out of the cannon like any other. I've supported it with reason behind my thinking. I'm not phased if you don't agree.

So pace isn't essential, and footskills aren't the most important... And we already know he isnt a strong marking player, and he can't really read the play at all... Seems to have all the essential ingrediants to take that step then...
That's where the reference to Jobe came in, he's a quality player and he lacks pace and up until this year his footskills were often critisised. Yet he played his role very well. That sort of player would fit a need at our club at this point in time, that's why I threw it out there. How do you know how he reads the play when throughout his career he's been given a player to look after, not to hunt the ball?

Eddy, along with Peake and Gamble as P66 mentioned earlier, are exactly where they belong... Sandringham... Lets hope they remain there all season...
Did Barlow belong in the VFL too? Players can continue to develop, even if they weren't up to standard at the beginning.

Don't rate yourself so highly.

Wrote for Luck
Club Player

#1GILL wrote:
Sobraz wrote:
#1GILL wrote: Eddy, along with Peake and Gamble as P66 mentioned earlier, are exactly where they belong... Sandringham... Lets hope they remain there all season...
color]

that is as good as saying let's hope Saints remain unsuccessful for eternity? maybe not quite but it's pretty negative - and negative gets you negative.

do you not support Saints players? in my mind I don't get supporters who seem to gleam satisfaction from criticizing own players? shame on you for not believing, supporting, and encouraging these blokes who give their all.

don't you think if they weren't the coaches wouldn't be all over them?

try this; support the team support the players.

Pills 'n' Thrills and Heartaches
Wrote for Luck
Club Player

I reckon this is a good post; for me, Justin Koz is the man this year with regards to re-inventing himself! If he's not the most important player to do this with the substitution changes, then I don't know who is a better candidate!

Good on you Justin!

Pills 'n' Thrills and Heartaches
bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

There certainly isn't a bright future looming if it requires Robert Eddy as a major contributor...he gave it a shot but just doesn't quite have it...

The time is here to develop more skillful players suited to the current game style..

Saints looking like a bottom 4 team in 2024.
AnythingsPossibleSaints
SS Life Member

SainterK wrote:I had this really good idea that Gilbert would reinvent himself as a forward.
I had that one too.

With regards to Ray, he could reinvent himself in the backline (taking Gilbert's spot, or Raph's, if Gilbo stays there), where I think he could do very well. He's reasonably tall, but not too tall (with all the other "talls" back there), is very strong overhead, for someone of his build and size, and can run, carry and deliver well.
He'd also be ideally suited to the "loose man in defence" role that Gilbert and Raph often play, but with generally better delivery once he gets it.
I think we need some quality run, carry and delivery from back there and he could be the one to provide it, while also being very capable overhead, with his strong marking and long, thin arms (which may be good for spoiling, like Dustin Fletcher's are).
Last edited by AnythingsPossibleSaints on Tue 19 Apr 2011 10:14pm, edited 1 time in total.

YOU GET WHAT YOU SETTLE FOR.
Junction Oval
SS Life Member

I'll go with Kosi also, as a power forward/part time ruck.

We need a big lift from him, more than at any other time in his career. Now is the time ........ :roll:

AnythingsPossibleSaints
SS Life Member

Most who you'd expect would know the most about these things (eg Paul Roos) seem to agree that to have a "career best" type of season, you need to have done a full, injury-free pre-season.
So as much as we'd love him to do so, it's not likely that Kosi is going to have one of those this year, given how he's had such an interrupted pre-season, on top of also apparently carrying an ankle injury last year.
Having said that, playing in the ruck on a regular basis again might be just the thing that kick-starts him again, as that's where he's played his very best footy. Fingers crossed!
Last edited by AnythingsPossibleSaints on Wed 20 Apr 2011 12:29pm, edited 1 time in total.

YOU GET WHAT YOU SETTLE FOR.
Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:Gamble could become a strong marking forward at Sandy and Peake could be a good running player there as well.
Gamble would want to improve on Sunday's effort.

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

AnythingsPossibleSaints wrote:Most who you'd expect would know the most about these things (eg Paul Roos) seem to agree that to have a "career best" type of season, you need to have done a full, injury-free pre-season.
So as much as we'd love him to do so, it's not likely that Kosi is going to have one of those this year, given how he's apparently not only not had a full pre-season, but also apparently carried an ankle injury last year.
Thats my worry for Kosi also. No pre season yet enormous expectation that hes gonna save us.....some are in for a rude shock...

This is a good thread. I like the Ray idea and I am a fan of Mqualter in a back pocket.......hed be more damaging than Baker disposal wise.....

Im still not unconvinced that Raph Clarke isnt better suited to an attacking winginto fwd 50 role...

“Yeah….nah””
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:I had this really good idea that Gilbert would reinvent himself as a forward.
Doesn't feel "comfortable" there I heard.

PJ
SS Life Member

I like your confidence keep it up.

I've never seen a bad St.Kilda player - that's just how they are.
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

#1GILL wrote:Rob Eddy- Get's in Lenny's ear and learns what makes a great inside midfielder and becomes a top 10 league player in what is undoubtably the biggest resurection of a career of all time. Becomes a three time Brownlow medalist and wins two Norm Smiths as well as captaining the Saints to the 2018 premiership.

Seriously though, I think he could become a hard-nosed midfielder, pace isn't essential and footskills aren't the most important. He could potentially become a 2010 Jobe Watson I think.
Dream on. His disposal is appalling.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

millarsaint wrote:
#1GILL wrote:
Sobraz wrote:
#1GILL wrote: Eddy, along with Peake and Gamble as P66 mentioned earlier, are exactly where they belong... Sandringham... Lets hope they remain there all season...
color]

that is as good as saying let's hope Saints remain unsuccessful for eternity? maybe not quite but it's pretty negative - and negative gets you negative.

do you not support Saints players? in my mind I don't get supporters who seem to gleam satisfaction from criticizing own players? shame on you for not believing, supporting, and encouraging these blokes who give their all.

don't you think if they weren't the coaches wouldn't be all over them?

try this; support the team support the players.

You have a point and I would normally agree with you but we need to face reality quickly or it is going to be a wasted season. These guys should not be keeping out playing the younger types.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Isnt reinventing yourself, changing your role....ala clint jones...

Not doing the same lole, all of a sudden better......

goddardisgod
Club Player

I would like to chuck Ray in the Baker/Dempster role.

He's more attacking minded than either of this two, and has better disposal than either Geary or Eddy.

Dan Warna
Saintsational Legend

Dempster as a footballer.

Bewaire krime, da krimson bolt is comeing to yure nayborhood to smach krime

SHUT UP KRIME!
dcstkfc
Saintsational Legend

#1GILL wrote:
Sobraz wrote:
Have you seen Jobe play recently??...
Yep, that's why it says 2010 Jobe Watson, he's a completely different player this year.
That's the Jobe Watson who got 16 Brownlow Votes last year or is there another?

STRENGTH THROUGH LOYALTY.

‎''I still get really excited, and I've got the '66 thing up on the wall in a frame … You look at it and think: one day, we want to achieve that.''- Arryn Siposs
stairwaytoheaven
Club Player

Yep big Koz for me, recruit of the year :P :P :P :lol: :lol: :lol: and lets hope that Goddard stops running around playing like an angry man and get back to playing his fantastic style of footy