What will happen on here when we cant play finals

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

I cannot believe the amount of negative crap written on this forum. Yes maybe our run may be over but we are 3 weeks in to the season. RL thinks that playing experienced players as well as 5 young guys is the way to go. Cannot see anything wrong with the balance but what do we get on here. The world is over. We arent playing enough kids and then you read further and most want one extra young kid. Well big deal only 5 are playing. Does it really matter if we wait a week or two to see where our year is heading.

Heaven help the negative crap if we cant make the finals. I take it most of the whingers havent had the bad fortune to see us when we are really bad. I just hope for the clubs sake these whingers will stick fat when we are in the bottom 8 in the next 3 to 4 years. I certainly know I will.

bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

It's not really whinging tugger..

Some have conceded and want Ross,the best junior developer we've had,to start developing for the future so that we don't end up back "there"...

why wait only one week before we go down that path...why not wait till the seasons half over and then only give those players of the future,whoever they may be, 8 or 10 games rather than 18...that'll fast track them...

Saints looking like a bottom 4 team in 2024.
Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

What will happen on here when we can't play finals?

Not sure, but I think Al Gore made a doco about it :wink:

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

bobmurray wrote:It's not really whinging tugger..

Some have conceded and want Ross,the best junior developer we've had,to start developing for the future so that we don't end up back "there"...

why wait only one week before we go down that path...why not wait till the seasons half over and then only give those players of the future,whoever they may be, 8 or 10 games rather than 18...that'll fast track them...
There are 3 already playing with less than 15 games. There is no doubt if Winmar plays ahead of Mini this week we will not go down the bottom. It makes sense apparently. And a hilarious nickname. First time I have ever heard that one.

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

SACK LYON.....

That will be the call. Always has been from some loser Saints supporters.

Knifed Stan. Will attempt to Knife Lyon then think a favourite son like Harvey will do the job and get us a flag :roll:

F##k. Everyone is frustrated that in 09 anf 10 we didn't get a flag. But we haven't been as close to a flag since half time in the 71 GF as when bj put us in front or the ball was withib an inch of Milneys grasp.

For this total idiocy of blaming Rl for not "rebuilding" in 09 and 10 when he was aiming to win a fking flag is ludicrious.

I am as heartbroken as everyone else, but you are either building to have a crack at a flag or your ARE having a crack - you cant do both.

And anybody who thinks you can do both is either a fool or knows less about football and the AFL than my 5 year old Jack Russel does :roll:

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Hmmm

I would be very very disappointed if we miss the finals with...
McQualter
Jones
Dempster

All playing 17+ mediocre games

And
Ray
Gram
Remaining in the team despite being extremely inconsistent

All I personally want is to stop playing tolerating consistently mediocre players

I find it really frustrating when Raph Clarke gets dumped after 3 games after playing 1 good game, 1 ok one and one very mediocre game, whilst Jones is 0-3

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

What if the Lions beat us tomorrow???

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

saintspremiers wrote:What if the Lions beat us tomorrow???
I will be very unhappy. The year will be over. But it hasnt happened and I dont expect it to happen so lets not worry about it.

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
I will be very unhappy. The year will be over. But it hasnt happened and I dont expect it to happen so lets not worry about it.
Yes but I'm going to Brisbane tomorrow Plugger to watch the little match.

And it's my Birthday on Good Friday.

And we have a family 6 day Brissie/Gold Coast Easter Holiday.

So hence it's important to me.

And no, I'm not being selfish in my requirements :lol: :lol: :lol: :wink:

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

saintspremiers wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
Yes but I'm going to Brisbane tomorrow Plugger to watch the little match.

And it's my Birthday on Good Friday.

And we have a family 6 day Brissie/Gold Coast Easter Holiday.

So hence it's important to me.

And no, I'm not being selfish in my requirements :lol: :lol: :lol: :wink:
Well hopefully you will be very happy at 10pm tomorrow. And dont go on the Big Drop especially if you are like me and hate heights.

satchmo
Saintsational Legend

Should we go on the Melbourne forum and ask?

*Allegedly.

Bring back Lucky Burgers, and nobody gets hurt.

You can't un-fry things.

Last Post
BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Can you get off your f***ing high horse you absolute flog.....

This is a forum....do you know what the definition of forum is......

Not everyone subscibes to the fact that

'the leader is good, the leader is great'

We all back ross, but can question his moves....particularly when they dont come off....but yes as arm chair experys we come on here and give our opinions.....

Ross is not perfect, our great club is far from perfect.......and yet you critisise those, who critisise the club for mistakes.....and yes, the club has made many.....do you agree....
Pledging your allegiance, no matter what, doesnt make you a better supporter, just a dumb one....

If your so happy with proceedings, just add to all the fluff posts.....

People come here to discuss
Games, selections, drafts, incidents, news reports, awards and history.....who the **** are you to tell them what their opinion should be....or is allowed to be...

How about a counter argument....or are you too stupid, and have to resort to just potting....

3rd generation saint
Saintsational Legend

If we don't play finals, well we don't.
Personally I don't want to just play finals, I want to win the whole friggin' thing.
Unless we're top 4 and looking like we can make a strong challenge, we might as well miss it all and get a better draft pick.
As for tomorrow night, even if we win and win well, we will not be back, just that the brakes have been applied to going the wrong way.
We wont be back until we are well and truely in the top 4 and looking like a challenger.
The most disappointing thing for me this year is that after all the crap we had to put up with all summer long and all the talk of us against them mentality, we haven't really fired a shot.
Sadly, this gives those in journo world more ammunition regarding our culture etc.
The only way this club can shut those people up is too win a premiership, and not by a small margin, but win it in way like we we're never going to lose it.

Except for the sanity nothing much has been lost.
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:Can you get off your f***ing high horse you absolute flog.....

We all back ross, but can question his moves....particularly when they dont come off....but yes as arm chair experys we come on here and give our opinions.....

Ross is not perfect, our great club is far from perfect.......and yet you critisise those, who critisise the club for mistakes.....and yes, the club has made many.....do you agree....
Pledging your allegiance, no matter what, doesnt make you a better supporter, just a dumb one....

Games, selections, drafts, incidents, news reports, awards and history.....who the **** are you to tell them what their opinion should be....or is allowed to be...

How about a counter argument....or are you too stupid, and have to resort to just potting....
Yes it is much better to come on here and say we have the worst 9 kicks in the AFl. It is much better to whinge about selections and then when questioned, as people with a brain should do, you come up with one change and that will turn everything around. Then you whinge about Baker but select him in your side. Then you say we need to change the side and when pointed out there are already 4 changes from last years GF you have no answer. Yes we can discuss things but the thing is you dont want to. You just want to whinge and if we lose tell everyone how right you are. Whinge whinge, whinge. I take it you like dicussing things but if you are questioned you just sook it up and call names.

Maybe you should read what is written because you are the one potting and I am the one asking questions but to expect answer is probably asking one question to much.

Finally i have never we had a great leader and shouldnt question him. I just wonder about some of the questions.

jays
Club Player

we come good and come stomming home close to the finals and make top 4

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:Can you get off your f***ing high horse you absolute flog.....

deleted post - on refelection the post was probably directed towards P66.

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
dcstkfc
Saintsational Legend

joffaboy wrote:SACK LYON.....

Knifed Stan. Will attempt to Knife Lyon then think a favourite son like Harvey will do the job and get us a flag :roll:

F##k. Everyone is frustrated that in 09 anf 10 we didn't get a flag. But we haven't been as close to a flag since half time in the 71 GF as when bj put us in front or the ball was withib an inch of Milneys grasp.

For this total idiocy of blaming Rl for not "rebuilding" in 09 and 10 when he was aiming to win a fking flag is ludicrious.

I am as heartbroken as everyone else, but you are either building to have a crack at a flag or your ARE having a crack - you cant do both.

And anybody who thinks you can do both is either a fool or knows less about football and the AFL than my 5 year old Jack Russel does :roll:
I'd say it is still possible to do both- Collingwood 09 were preliminary finalists whilst getting games into Sidebottom, Wellingham and Beames, but otherwise agree totally with you. We should re-build when we know very confidently that this group is a long way off the pace, and we don't know that yet.

STRENGTH THROUGH LOYALTY.

‎''I still get really excited, and I've got the '66 thing up on the wall in a frame … You look at it and think: one day, we want to achieve that.''- Arryn Siposs
joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

dcstkfc wrote:

I'd say it is still possible to do both- Collingwood 09 were preliminary finalists whilst getting games into Sidebottom, Wellingham and Beames, but otherwise agree totally with you. We should re-build when we know very confidently that this group is a long way off the pace, and we don't know that yet.
Yeah maybe - we gave steven a fair crack, Big mac came on in leaps and bounds, Lynch had a go, and so did Armo - granted not the same as the Collingwood players but maybe they weren't at the same stage.

We had to have a crack at the flag. It is easy for the naysayers and whingers to say well we didn't win, but how far off a flag were we - TWICE?

Really we have already played 6 kids this year including Archer, Stanley, Smith and Steven - Mac and Armo are still young and developing.

Now we have Winmar in the squad.

Out of those 7, only one played in the GF replay.

Why cant people see this?

Lance or James??

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Joffa ..... Did he succeed??

You can keep saying almost...fact is

We did not win one flag.........now where to.....

If you neglect the bottom and purely focus on the top, that is the most selfish act of all....because you are putting yourself before the club, because long after you are gone the club has to go on......

Because it is a tough comp....loading up does not guarantee success....but not looking to the future does spell impending failure......

The only way to win it, is to put yourself in position often enough to hopefully pull one off......poor drafting, development and continual turn over and improvement.....

How were we better in 2010 compared to 2009???

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

Good post.

People know what a forum is. Whether it's a quality forum with quality opinions is another thing.

Tonight, it had been poor. As stated no back up to ideas, no explanation to opinions and no basis to thoughts.

Soon posters will be calling to play next years draftees this year!
Last edited by Spinner on Wed 20 Apr 2011 10:07pm, edited 1 time in total.

dcstkfc
Saintsational Legend

joffaboy wrote:
dcstkfc wrote:

Yeah maybe - we gave steven a fair crack, Big mac came on in leaps and bounds, Lynch had a go, and so did Armo - granted not the same as the Collingwood players but maybe they weren't at the same stage.

We had to have a crack at the flag. It is easy for the naysayers and whingers to say well we didn't win, but how far off a flag were we - TWICE?

Really we have already played 6 kids this year including Archer, Stanley, Smith and Steven - Mac and Armo are still young and developing.

Now we have Winmar in the squad.

Out of those 7, only one played in the GF replay.

Why cant people see this?
Because they believe that the 'unseen alternative' (because VFL/NAB Cup/Challenge form is irrelevant for some reason) is always better than the less than perfect incumbent (Dempster, Jones, McQualter, Blake, Baker etc.)

STRENGTH THROUGH LOYALTY.

‎''I still get really excited, and I've got the '66 thing up on the wall in a frame … You look at it and think: one day, we want to achieve that.''- Arryn Siposs
The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

What will happen on here ? not much as we will have more time to do other things that time of year. Start planning peoples :)

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Spinner....too late, i already have....aswell as jayden attard...

I just dont like the fact that someone is someones got the cheek to basically make the comment that nearly every opinion on here....except of course his own.....is 'crap'

Just because its not too complimentary.....well stop the presses......

We are struggling....

Yes most of us were around....83-86 in particular....2000-2002 also..?perhaps we we hold higher standards now.....who wants to accept mediocrity again???

And also, we didnt have 6 all australians in their prime in those years

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:Joffa ..... Did he succeed??
No he did not succeed
BigMart wrote:You can keep saying almost...fact is

We did not win one flag.........now where to.....
Well almost is not good enough. However it is just hypothetical to talk about who could have won us a flag in 09 and 10, I mean gram was BOG in 09 while Roo, Milne, Schneider etc all missed sitters.

Roo was down in 10 and bj, Lenny and Gilbo almost got us over the line.

I just cant see where the winner could have come from in those two games.
BigMart wrote:If you neglect the bottom and purely focus on the top, that is the most selfish act of all....because you are putting yourself before the club, because long after you are gone the club has to go on......
My contention is that the coach was attempting to put the best team on the park each week to win us the to make the top four, then two finals and then the flag.

He tried in 09 and 10 and came up short. but even then players like McEvoy, Steven, and Armo got a fair chunck of games (especially last year), with Lynch and Stanley and possibly one or two others getting a go throughout the year.

Since we seem to have dropped off (and my thoughts are that the rigours of just missing out in two consecutive uears has taken a toll) we have seen Armo, Mac, Steven, Stanley, Archer,Smith, and now Winmar in the team.

All but Mac were not in the GF replay team.

I dont see where Lyons strategy has gone wrong, except of course the obvious - we didn't win a flag.
BigMart wrote:Because it is a tough comp....loading up does not guarantee success....but not looking to the future does spell impending failure......
Understand what you are saying. I also understand that you are not happy with out drafting of players over the past five years. We haven't had a decent pick since #9 for Armo as we have been at the top.

BigMart wrote:The only way to win it, is to put yourself in position often enough to hopefully pull one off......poor drafting, development and continual turn over and improvement.....
well poor drafting is contentious, and depends on position to a certain extent, development comes with circumstance, but would agree with continual turnover.
BigMart wrote:How were we better in 2010 compared to 2009???
We missed Roo for most of 10, and made the GF, cant see the comparision.

Individually Mac got better, blooded Stanley and Lynch, and Steven and Armo got more of a go.

I think we are better off in the long term without Geary and Eddie who were young players who didn't shape up.

Stilli hark back to what is happening now. 6 kids selected in 4 rounds that didn't play in the GF last season.

Surely that tells us that the mentality has changed for season 2011.

IMO we need to play these 6 plus a few more over this year, and saddle up for another crack while we have Roo, Kosi, Dal, Joey, Fisher, and a fit Lenny still playing top football and have another go in 2012 and possibly 2013.

After that it will be 2020 before we get another crack I reckon.

Lance or James??

bigred
Saintsational Legend

Spinner wrote:Good post.

People know what a forum is. Whether it's a quality forum with quality opinions is another thing.

Tonight, it had been poor. As stated no back up to ideas, no explanation to opinions and no basis to thoughts.

Soon posters will be calling to play next years draftees this year!
Lyon is still backing his plan.

I can understand that. we have won a lot of games by backing his plan. A lot of finals. Beaten some f****** good sides.

I have concerns, like so many on here. Reading this forum every day does nothing to settle those concerns.

Trusting Mini, Dempster and maybe CJ, this deep. They must have some substantial confidence in them. I would have kicked their arses to the kerb after the richmond game. So would many others.

That is probably why I am not a senior AFL coach. Or an AFL coach that got this same list to two grand finals.

So back to the OP....What if we miss the finals?

This place will implode.

Apart from being absolutely gutted for the missed chances, my greatest, greatest fear is that the club would do something stupid like flicking the coach. A typical old St.Kilda move.

That would be the rebuild. Right there.

And I see that as worst possible scenario.

Worst.
Possible.

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....